Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

antgal23 wrote: »
    Three coffee shops are open within 500 metres of my house, families meet up there every day. Close them.

No outdoor exercise.

Do people still get to keep the key for their own front door under your plan or do they have to wait for someone to come and unlock it?

It's the emphasis of it. If they bow down, the rest will be pressured to follow. I can see Biden saying yes, just to make himself out as the Anti-Trump. Russia and China will say yes but won't :pac:

Although the EU are in such a **** position on Vaccines, they'll probably have to keep them inside Europe to save their own skins.

Varadkar and Coveney are hardened globalist. Coveney desperately wants a gig at the UN. Varadkar is never going to back benches. They'll look after themselves and leave us hanging with restrictions until 20 whatever

Thats just a nonsense attempt to backtrack. If who bow down? Who will be pressured? who is askng for people to bow down?

the G7 meet every single year and every single year we dont enter it anything they do or say. we will go with the EU and the EU are very clearly saying "EU first"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

The WHO are dick swinging about after the vulnerable are vaccinated, we should be giving our vaccines to ****house countries. The G7 are meeting today about it.

I can Micheal Martin, Varadkar and Coveney handing over hundreds of thousands of vaccines, to secure their own status amongst the global NGOs and keeping us under Level 2-3 Restrictions..

It is genuinely an Us vs Them scenario.

With all due respect, F**k Botswana and F**k Nicaragua.

It's not us vs them. It's a problem for everyone. Jingoism and bluster is worth nothing in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

I dont believe we are in the G7 so their decisions mean nothing to us

I can see them volunteering ours just to virtue signal. Look at how quickly Leo quadrupled our payments to WHO once Trump pulled funding from them. And how quickly he volunteered Ireland to pay more to the EU budget to make up for the loss of Britain's contributions.

I wouldn't mind them volunteering some of our vaccines if we already hit 75-80% vaccinated mark, but I don't even think we hit 2-3% percent yet. We're in not position to be giving up any of ours. Hopefully some glimmer of sense will prevail and they won't be so quick to volunteer ours.

aido79 wrote: »
    Do people still get to keep the key for their own front door under your plan or do they have to wait for someone to come and unlock it?

Hes not wrong in all aspects though. The Pavillions in Swords is full and theres a line for the coffee. Nothing essential about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Three coffee shops are open within 500 metres of my house, families meet up there every day. Close them.

No outdoor exercise.

Are you sure they are open for sit-in, as takeaway is allowed ok.

I would be surprised there are 3 open for sitting in, as they would be risking big fines if they are raided.

Whereabouts are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Fwiw, we have similar case numbers to Switzerland. The have the 95th strictest restrictions in the world, we have the third strictest....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

accensi0n wrote: »
    How is it you know what the daily case number will be on the 21st?

I don't.
    The numbers in black in that table are the historical numbers and percentage decrease that we do know.
    The numbers in grey are projections, assuming a 10% weekly decrease in case numbers.
    I estimate 10% because that's a little above what it is now; obviously that could/will change either way.

lNSUCh9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Looking at the glass half empty, what are florida doing that everybody else ain't

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Fwiw, we have similar case numbers to Switzerland. The have the 95th strictest restrictions in the world, we have the third strictest....

Which 2 countries are stricter than us?

NZ and Oz?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

tommybrees wrote: »
    Looking at the glass half empty, what are florida doing that everybody else ain't

Basking is sunshine.

There seems to be gathering momentum around the theory that Vitamin D (sunshine) equals low Covid cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

NIMAN wrote: »
    Which 2 countries are stricter than us?

NZ and Oz?

Chile I'd say. Co incidentally they have suffered 1 of the worst death rates too.

They had a very severe lockdown that led to very severe death rate with covid. Conspiracy stuff :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

tommybrees wrote: »

Listening to the science.

The science that wasn't thrown together to justify the inhumane and catastrophic lockdowns that is....they listened to the science that has been around for decades and went with it.

Di Santos will be front runner for 2024...the Americans are flocking to Florida...what is that telling us!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Quazzie wrote: »
    Basking is sunshine.

There seems to be gathering momentum around the theory that Vitamin D (sunshine) equals low Covid cases.

California basks in sunshine too...and has a younger population, and a long running severe lockdown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

This is exactly what I think should happen
    https://twitter.com/ZubyMusic/status/1362508121361567754?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

No outdoor exercise.
    Reduce movement quicker, reduce spread quicker, reduce numbers quicker, reduce hospital admissions quicker

Clear?
    The problem with extreme measures such as this is that there's no lasting benefit. As soon as restrictions are lifted (and the more extreme, the less sustainable) numbers start rising again exponentially. The fact that numbers start rising from a lower base only buys you a couple of weeks at most.

There's an additional problem in that when restrictions are lifted, there's an overreaction from the public and a subsequent greater rise than otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

GT89 wrote: »
    This is exactly what I think should happen
    https://twitter.com/ZubyMusic/status/1362508121361567754?s=19

Is he a professor of molecular immunology?

Quazzie wrote: »
    Basking is sunshine.

Except for Finland and Norway, not much sunshine and low cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

And neither are politicans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Covid imo is no longer just about health. It needs to be viewed from a broader more philosophical perspective.One year on with extensive restrictions on liberty with real ramifications for people's livelihoods and equality across the world, we need to have a real discussion about the negative effects of what we're measures taken on presumably virtuous grounds, but have now become extremely damaging to many many people.

• Advertisement

GT89 wrote: »
    And neither are politicans

They take advice from people who are experts in the area of disease control, immunology, microbiology etc.

You on the other hand watch YouTube videos that align with your narrative, believe everything on conspiracy theory websites and get your information from Twitter.

I prefer the politicians' approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

I think there’s been huge damage done to the discussion by the polarising crazies on the far right jumping on this anti masker stuff.

There are very serious discussions to be had about what’s going on in terms of social impact, economic impact and even personal psychological impacts. However, because it’s been bolted to the damn American culture wars between the reds and the blues, the subtly of debate has evaporated and we have absorbed that narrative here.

It is an extremely serious situation and there are huge consequences to spreading the virus but we need to come up with solutions and we need much, much better leadership and communication. These arbitrary decisions seem to be getting made without logic in some cases.

If we’re too relaxed, we are going to have big problems but if we are over conservative we are also going to have big problems. Finding that middle ground seems to be proving very hard to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

bubblypop wrote: »
    Except for Finland and Norway, not much sunshine and low cases.

Both nations are experts at social distancing. They do it when there's no pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They take advice from people who are experts in the area of disease control, immunology, microbiology etc.

And yet a year later still the only thing they can come up with is "lockdown".

They should save themselves the consultancy fees.

And yet a year later still the only thing they can come up with is "lockdown".

They should save themselves the consultancy fees.

What's the alternative?

It's been the response that most countries have taken when there's a rise in cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I think there’s been huge damage done to the discussion by the polarising crazies on the far right jumping on this anti masker stuff.

There are very serious discussions to be had about what’s going on in terms of social impact, economic impact and even personal psychological impacts. However, because it’s been bolted to the damn American culture wars between the reds and the blues, the subtly of debate has evaporated and we have absorbed that narrative here.

It is an extremely serious situation and there are huge consequences to spreading the virus but we need to come up with solutions and we need much, much better leadership and communication. These arbitrary decisions seem to be getting made without logic in some cases.

If we’re too relaxed, we are going to have big problems but if we are over conservative we are also going to have big problems. Finding that middle ground seems to be proving very hard to do.

Very true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

Throwing everything at the kitchen sink into getting the vaccines rolled out rapidly seem like the only solution I can see.

My view of it is that it the EU programme continues to deliver too slowly by say the end of March, it should be bypassed. I’m hopeful it will deliver, but we need contingencies. We just can’t go on like this indefinitely.

We should be aiming to get the vaccination programme complete as soon as humanly possible, even if it costs a lot to do so. The longer this drags the more damage is done to the economy and society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 davidbeckham32

Throwing everything at the kitchen sink into getting the vaccines rolled out rapidly seem like the only solution I can see.

My view of it is that it the EU programme continues to deliver too slowly by say the end of March, it should be bypassed. I’m hopeful it will deliver, but we need contingencies. We just can’t go on like this indefinitely.

We should be aiming to get the vaccination programme complete as soon as humanly possible, even if it costs a lot to do so. The longer this drags the more damage is done to the economy and society.

sooner the better

I agree but can we bypass the EU programme?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What's the alternative?

It's been the response that most countries have taken when there's a rise in cases.

Do you not think that a year later there should be even a little bit of nuance in our response? Have they even tried to implement layered responses?

They have industries shut down when there is no evidence whatsoever that they are anything but negligible in terms of covid spread, but god forbid we try to contact trace and carry out risk assessments. They have entire counties closed when their level of cases were acceptably low, but god forbid we even try to have regional restrictions.

All of that would be hard, so instead we just use the same old sledgehammer every time. No alternatives, no ideas, simpler just to tell the phlebbs that they have to stay at home. Who cares that this is peoples' lives being destroyed day by day and week by week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement