Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 22 JimCore

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    More narrative following. Just like the flu we see a massive spike in virus spread in Dec and Jan and like every year it starts to improve quite quickly as you head into Spring.

The lockdown zealots will all say ithe reduction in cases was because of lockdown and the actions of the Irish people. We simply don't know that, it is just a story.

Average age of death from Covid is still firmly lodged in the mid 80's and it is for most people just another minor virus which is extremely unlikely to cause them any problems but most people simply don't want to engage with the facts anymore.

Historically this virus is nothing remarkable, in the 1950's and 1960' we had major outbreaks of flu variants which killed numbers comparable to covid yet no major public health actions were taken and societies barely noticed.

I am not saying we should have done nothing last March but the day we moved from simply providing general health advice to our population (simple messaging to the elderly and vulnerable about self isolating if they wished) was the day we crossed the Rubicon into this nightmare world now we live in. Removal of our most cherished freedoms is not only being inflicted on us by health and safety obsessed politicians and advisors but even more depressingly it is being accepted blindly by people who have been terrified and manipulated for over a year now.

The very first set of significant data to come out of China and outbreaks on cruise ships and aircraft carriers which acted as perfect closed laboratories for this virus, showed it's low mortality rate in all bar the extremely old and vulnerable. Nothing had changed in a year, read the excellent data produced by the CSO in Ireland.

I am fully resigned now to the fact that the lockdown brigade has done such an effective job of scaring people and no one in charge has the courage to raise their head about the parapet, that we will just have to wait for the vaccine to be given to every 18 year old and over before restrictions will substantially lift. I am also fully aware that most people will put up with this due to skewed levels of risk awareness but the truly scary thing is the endless chatter about new variants suggests to me that a line in the sand which simply says 'right we are vaccinated move on'...is increasingly unlikely to happen and this dystopian nightmare will continue in one shape or form with an underlying hysteria always present in our population. A Covid hangover so to speak.

Its not a flu!!

There are a number of children under 4 currently hospitalised.

It is killing and has killed people who should have lived longer.

Youve clearly not had anyone close to you die from it..

Wear the mask over your nose and sanitise your hands thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

JimCore wrote: »
    Its not a flu!!

Bad news for you lad, people die. Sad and all that it is. Do you think if covid didn't exist they'd live forever?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Its not a flu!!

No

It’s clear to see they are hoping they will be able to lift restrictions alongside this vaccine rollout but isn’t anyone thinking there is way too much focus being put on that? Look at this disaster with AstraZeneca, there’s nothing to say the same couldn’t happen with J&J or even Pfizer and Moderna. If we have another supply issue we’re buggered, again, and it’ll be back to Level 5 forever more amen, if we ever leave it.

They still haven’t even decided the number we need to focus on. Another poster alluded to this, is is it R, is it hospitalisations or is it cases? Nobody knows anymore.

If the first lockdown worked, why the need for a second? If the first one didn’t work, why do it again? Maybe it worked before but now it’s not working well enough. Here we are in the 3rd and cases have plateaued and I’m honestly a little bit afraid of what little liberty we have left we will get to keep.

Things are falling apart, nothing being built, nothing being fixed, can’t buy things, can’t go anywhere, it’s absolute lunacy.

And worst of all, MM is running around saying he’s been clear on everything, and then LV comes out and says the same! Either they are thick or lying but both are bad options. A total shower of clowns this lot.

People have died, people are dying, people will die. It’s awful and sometimes it’s tragic but it’s the single thing we can be sure of in life. Sacrificing the good of the many in the name of the few is not wise. The many will become tired, and despondent if they haven’t already and then we will have bigger problems on our hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Its not a flu!!

Are people dying FROM Covid, or WITH Covid ?

• Advertisement

House party went well last night, no gardai involved and everyone home safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Its not a flu!!

I'm sure he does take precautions. It's very much like flu by the way. In fact, in the past flu was much more deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Christmas was borrowing happiness from the future. .

You could sell that phrase to Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Scroll down and click the table tab. Scroll and click the end column to put them in order of severity. Ireland 4th. UK up there too.

At the risk of being pedantic, joint third with Honduras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

aido79 wrote: »
    Can you name one thing that Dolores Cahill has said in relation to covid19 that has been backed up by other medical professionals or proved to be correct?
    Not defending her but in fairness did she not say that that there was lasting immunity from contracting the virus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Its not a flu!!

Never said it was the flu.

Many kids in hospital for many reasons, the numbers with Covid are not alarming and this virus is not of any significant risk to children. I have three kids by the way and don't consider Covid to be any risk to them worth worrying about and certainly wouldn't consider amending their behaviour in anyway at all if we had the choice. What I have seen is three children in various states of depression and mental collapse entirely due to the lockdown narrative.

If someone close to me died of Covid my perception of the risk or my assessment of this situation would not change. I have elderly parents and parents in law including one with a lung condition. I entirely respect their decision to take whatever steps they see fit to protect themselves but if one of them died from Covid it would not change my perception or assessment of the risk involved with this disease. All four of them believe it should be up to individuals to take their own decisions as to the precautions they should take and also believe it is entirely possible for elderly and vulnerable to isolate as they see fit but not impose it on society in general.

I entirely respect your decision to take whatever precautions you want to protect yourself from this virus or other health risks but I will make my own decision thank you as to what precautions I will take if any.

Not defending her but in fairness did she not say that that there was lasting immunity from contracting the virus?

She did. She also said what orange bad said which was that hydroxychloroquine was beneficial.

A paper on nature proved that hydroxychloroquine was ineffective but that paper was then withdrawn as it was it was using made up data. A much later Belgian study showed a 30% reduction in mortality associated with hydroxychloroquine

Prof. Dr Dolores Cahill is a world-wide renowned expert in high-throughput proteomics technology development and automation, high content protein arrays and their biomedical applications, including in biomarker discovery and diagnostics.
    Prof. Cahill pioneered this research area at the Max-Planck-Institute of Molecular Genetics in Berlin, Germany, and holds several international patents in this field with research, biomedicine and diagnostic applications.

So she may have been right on several things but her presentation was very naïve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    So she may have been right on several things but her presentation was very naïve.
    I agree. Certainly drop the CovidAir airline business. It is shame because we are now stuck on a path that will be hard to get out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Never said it was the flu.

Many kids in hospital for many reasons, the numbers with Covid are not alarming and this virus is not of any significant risk to children. I have three kids by the way and don't consider Covid to be any risk to them worth worrying about and certainly wouldn't consider amending their behaviour in anyway at all if we had the choice. What I have seen is three children in various states of depression and mental collapse entirely due to the lockdown narrative.

If someone close to me died of Covid my perception of the risk or my assessment of this situation would not change. I have elderly parents and parents in law including one with a lung condition. I entirely respect their decision to take whatever steps they see fit to protect themselves but if one of them died from Covid it would not change my perception or assessment of the risk involved with this disease. All four of them believe it should be up to individuals to take their own decisions as to the precautions they should take and also believe it is entirely possible for elderly and vulnerable to isolate as they see fit but not impose it on society in general.

I entirely respect your decision to take whatever precautions you want to protect yourself from this virus or other health risks but I will make my own decision thank you as to what precautions I will take if any.

I dont believe anyone has said lockdowns are desirable or that lockdowns are ideal.
    The idea that kids are not at risk makes sense too when taken at face value but the idea that they do not put others at risk when there is widespread community mixing doesnt really hold up.
    Your view on this seems to be taking an individualist approach and not taking a public health one because that is an imposition. I think many of us who disagree with you accept impositions because we see as a public health approach and very much more than about individual choices.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The numbers dont lie sherlock. A virus needs people interacting.

Oh I know actually youre right. Santa brought it down the chimney!!

Keep wearing the mask will ya!

Look up Belmullet Christmas .. cause and effect.

I dont believe anyone has said lockdowns are desirable or that lockdowns are ideal.
    The idea that kids are not at risk makes sense too when taken at face value but the idea that they do not put others at risk when there is widespread community mixing doesnt really hold up.
    Your view on this seems to be taking an individualist approach and not taking a public health one because that is an imposition. I think many of us who disagree with you accept impositions because we see as a public health approach and very much more than about individual choices.

Public health crossed the line last March when we imposed restrictions rather than providing advice which people can choose to heed or not. That is not the type of society I want to live in. It is a nightmare.

I also firmly believe the damage from the lockdown agenda far outweighs any benefit and ultimately with public health advice being provided if people choose to ignore it and get sick (elderly person who says sod it I am going to the pub etc....) that is their choice and I entirely respect it.

Don't understand the point you are making re children. If someone in society doesn't want to.mix for fear of catching this virus that is their choice. If my kids go to school and my parents want to isolate then fine, they isolate, get someone to do their shopping, etc etc and we don't visit. Their choice I respect it.

We can agree to disagree that is fine but in wider society right now the needs of a few are being imposed and manipulated onto the majority and most people don't even see it.

I agree. Certainly drop the CovidAir airline business. It is shame because we are now stuck on a path that will be hard to get out of.

Just to add, I saw her viral interview and she said a LOT of things without producing evidence and focussed a lot of tabloid headlines.

I sometimes assume my audience knows what I'm talking about when they don't and it may be that she fell into that trap. Her academic career is impressive but she has definitely been pigeon holed into the nutter brigade.

The same has not happened to the 120,00 dead brigade. I believe mortality is currently estimated at 0.3%? If that is correct, the figure would be 15,000 dead, just over 10% of the original estimate.

Sadly, Trump and the politicisation of covid19 has caused many problems. Scientists are human too.

Hopefully there'll be a better balance in future.

Anyone heading out tonight? My son is home from the house party last night and me and a few buddies are planning a few nights for the 6 nations

It will end on the first of never at this rate. We're still a week from March, and the likes of hospitality knocked on head until June at earliest. The cynic in me detects many a kite flown to distract from lacklustre provision for additional ICU beds & glacial rollout of vaccines. As for the latest variant imported from Brazil this week, just goes to show what dundering apes we have running the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Do you seriously think people aren't having house parties and drinks? Because it's happening across Dublin and likely the country.

Yep. Selfish aholes in being selfish aholes shocker.

Luckily most people aren't mé féiners even though seems to be a lot of them as they like to attention seek on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dred.

There's a hell of a lot of regular 'joe soaps' out there who've had enough

I'm observing it daily now, people meeting up and congregating and talking

These wouldn't be the party types either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Dred. wrote: »
    There's a hell of a lot of regular 'joe soaps' out there who've had enough

I'm observing it daily now, people meeting up and congregating and talking

These wouldn't be the party types either

Ya, the sneaky announcement on Thursday night broke a lot of people.

In my circles, there is increased organised gatherings and a huge sense that we have been put through enough...that announcement pushed people too far.

Just because the state has abandoned science and logic doesn't mean we all have to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Mimon wrote: »
    Yep. Selfish aholes in being selfish aholes shocker.

Luckily most people aren't mé féiners even though seems to be a lot of them as they like to attention seek on the internet.

Would normally agree with you re: the aholes but unfortunately I think this will only grow after what Martin said today. In my own head I've more or less given up. If I'm invited to my friends house for a few beers or even a BBQ when the longer evening's arrive, I think I'll accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I agree with some of the consensus here, people are getting ****ed off with this and that will only lead to more and more get togethers and house parties etc... And since I've done what was needed even when I travelled last year.... good luck to them, enjoy yourselves and the more the merrier.

This country is being led by fools that aren't able to get things together and deliver a consistent message.... so why should we listen anymore, its been over 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

And if you develop Covid as a result of this do you expect the State to have to pay for your treatment?
    Would normally agree with you re: the aholes but unfortunately I think this will only grow after what Martin said today. In my own head I've more or less given up. If I'm invited to my friends house for a few beers or even a BBQ when the longer evening's arrive, I think I'll accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Totally understandable. My patience is almost gone also. Though I will hold off until the numbers are lower though and won't be coming on here trying to wind up people/troll when I do.

The government handled it terribly. There should be reassessing every two weeks and people would have bought into that better.. Could have thrown people a bone at each reassessment with an incremental relaxing of restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Really is about time the trolls were taken out of this thread. and forum.

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=849777&sort=newest&date_to=&date_from=&query=%2A%3A%2A&forum=1865

We're sorry this thread and forum isn't an echo chamber for the lovers of lockdown.

Cases are levelling off now, a brick wall has been hit. People aren't going to put their lives on pause anymore.

Protect the vulnerable and let the rest of us live our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭buzzing147

Hi, yea I was just wondering, a butcher shop beside me closed yesterday because 2 staff tested positive, shop in darkness now, how long would expect it to be closed for? Only butchers in town 😒

johnire wrote: »
    And if you develop Covid as a result of this do you expect the State to have to pay for your treatment?

Oh please, thousands of people every year get treatment from the HSE due to smoking, alcohol abuse, being overweight and accidents from sports etc etc etc. Lets just stop everything and only treat non smoking, teetotallers with a healthy BMI who stay at home and only exercise in a safe way.....oh let's ban all socialising too as it passes on the flu, colds, novo virus, bacterial infections, AIDS, the clap......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

No - people are being specifically asked not to socialise and in this instance this person is deliberately breaking that request. This is a virus in case you didn't know.... this person can in turn pass it on to someone else who wasn't at this precious barbecue.

Oh please, thousands of people every year get treatment from the HSE due to smoking, alcohol abuse, being overweight and accidents from sports etc etc etc. Lets just stop everything and only treat non smoking, teetotallers with a healthy BMI who stay at home and only exercise in a safe way.....oh let's ban all socialising too as it passes on the flu, colds, novo virus, bacterial infections, AIDS, the clap......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement