Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Apparently a campaign emerging online by business owners in Tralee proposing to open up on 1st march as a collective . That's probably gonna be the start of it all...... you'd imagine other towns would follow suit

For me that's too soon but I don't blame them, being told they can't open till May or later with all the good vaccine news is a complete mis step. We should be looking to now start our society again rather than double down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

mightyreds wrote: »
    For me that's too soon but I don't blame them, being told they can't open till May or later with all the good vaccine news is a complete mis step. We should be looking to now start our society again rather than double down.

Kinda tend to agree with you with it being slightly too soon. If they announced something like " we are opening as normal from first April" I don't think too many would be upset with them. If they do open up as one, it will be interesting to see the reaction from the Gardai......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Apparently a campaign emerging online by business owners in Tralee proposing to open up on 1st march as a collective . That's probably gonna be the start of it all...... you'd imagine other towns would follow suit

I wonder will this be welcomed by the general public in Tralee or will they be vilified. It’s a very divisive issue.

One thing for sure RTE won’t be covering any breaches of the restrictions.

They had a twee “good news story” about a dog being rescued in the Wicklow mountains recently but didn’t mention that the rescuers had traveled well beyond 5km to be heros.

Why ruin a good story with inconvenient truths.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Good for them. I hope they go through with it. If I was near Tralee I would go there to support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Any link to the Tralee story?

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I wonder will this be welcomed by the general public in Tralee or will they be vilified. It’s a very divisive issue.

One thing for sure RTE won’t be covering any breaches of the restrictions.

They had a twee “good news story” about a dog being rescued in the Wicklow mountains recently but didn’t mention that the rescuers had traveled well beyond 5km to be heros.

Why ruin a good story with inconvenient truths.

Well it's reported some absolute idiots have reported them to the gardai so no doubt some curtain twitchers will be delighted .

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Plastic Sheeting is on the way to Tralee as we speak......

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

E mac wrote: »
    Any link to the Tralee story?

The sad thing about Tralee is the majority of the town itself is run by big companies, Harvey Norman, TK Maxx, Pennys etc .....

What exactly is going to open? Pubs? Hair salons ? These would be the only locally owned establishments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I have no doubt that the guards will take time out from doing silly dances on beaches to go and stop anybody daring to open a business in Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Strumms wrote: »
    They are not a balance. They are regulations that when adhered to, keep accidents, injuries and deaths on our roads to a minimum.

Covid laws keep and are keeping people well, healthy and alive.. people can lift the phone, use technology to socialize, converse, see people, get connected, get groceries....

There is a multitude of help and assistance available too.

You are so out of touch with reality its embarrassing

• Advertisement

Skipduke wrote: »
    The sad thing about Tralee is the majority of the town itself is run by big companies, Harvey Norman, TK Maxx, Pennys etc .....

What exactly is going to open? Pubs? Hair salons ? These would be the only locally owned establishments

My understanding is that it IS the likes of hair salons, barbers etc that are getting together for this. TBF they are saying it's totally unfair that the bigger places like Tesco can have hundreds of customers, but yet after all their investments to make their businesses safe, they can't open up.

My understanding is that it IS the likes of hair salons, barbers etc that are getting together for this. TBF they are saying it's totally unfair that the bigger places like Tesco can have hundreds of customers, but yet after all their investments to make their businesses safe, they can't open up.

Won't work unless other towns across Ireland do likewise. If it's just Tralee the guards will shut them down and that will be that. Didn't a bar in Limerick try something similar last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Could be mentioned many times as I didn't read through thread but this extended lockdown and not able to go more than 5km's from your house is madness. I was kinda with it for a while but it is now turning into months being stuck in your own location.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

AdamD wrote: »
    Highly, highly debatable.

Debate away... tell the medical experts.. doctors, virologists that they are wrong...while you are at it.

Covid requires close contact to to transmit and infect...

So by minimizing your close contact with others, by keeping your distance, by being responsible, you don’t get infected and you don’t infect..

Everything else, all other needs, wants, social neediness and basically selfishness needs to be tempered...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Everything else, all other needs, wants, social neediness and basically selfishness needs to be tempered...

Crap like this a full year later says it all.

Its a cult, a religion, there is no god but covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Hysteria......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It's just like the moving statues madness of the 80s...if we all just stand still and stare the statue will move!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Debate away... tell the medical experts.. doctors, virologists that they are wrong...while you are at it.

Covid requires close contact to to transmit and infect...

So by minimizing your close contact with others, by keeping your distance, by being responsible, you don’t get infected and you don’t infect..

Yet we're opening schools. Do they not involve close contact?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Think it's a great idea and would hope.that
    they will still follow summer guidelines i.e masks in barbers , table service in bars . If they do they will have a lot of support I think.
    Only problem might be if some staff member contracts Covid from a customer . I'm not a legal expert , but could be costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Very encouraging to read in this thread and other threads about amount of people that have given up following this restrictions nonsense.

I played some poker there last night with mates. I am the reason we are in level 5, and me alone ;)

Do not let this nonsense get to you. Things will get better. If history is anything to go by the only time things change dramatically is when enough people are in poverty and enough are desperate. We are currently at a breaking point as a nation. Things will change very soon, much sooner than 9 weeks thats for sure.

• Advertisement

Well, as another poster quiet rightly pointed out...we'll be in level 5 until at least May any way so we might as well not give a damn anymore....

I've a family dinner tomorrow, I see my neighbour has a load of friends over tonight for the first time in months...Martin f**ked up being the useless f**k up he is!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Very encouraging to read in this thread and other threads about amount of people that have given up following this restrictions nonsense.

I played some poker there last night with mates. I am the reason we are in level 5, and me alone ;)

Do not let this nonsense get to you. Things will get better. If history is anything to go by the only time things change dramatically is when enough people are in poverty and enough are desperate. We are currently at a breaking point as a nation. Things will change very soon, much sooner than 9 weeks thats for sure.

I'm finding myself agreeing with you for a change. Either you're making a good point or I've lost the plot. Suppose we'll find out soon enough :pac:

niallo27 wrote: »
    You are so out of touch with reality its embarrassing

The fact that you took time out of your day to post that... is embarrassing. ;)...if you don’t have something to add, contribute or debate .. find something useful to occupy yourself with.

Nobody is debating that things will get better, they certainly will, however, the collateral damage that the country and citizens will endure in the meantime... before they get better...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

The two doctors who were staying in a guesthouse in the Wicklow hills and kindly saved a stranded dog while out hiking are now being investigated for being outside their 5km. The guesthouse was giving doctors and other frontline workers treating people a place to take a breather.
    Some member of the public contacted the Gardaí.

That's what we have become as a country.

Can you believe this???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

The two doctors who were staying in a guesthouse in the Wicklow hills and kindly saved a stranded dog while out hiking are now being investigated for being outside their 5km. The guesthouse was giving doctors and other frontline workers treating people a place to take a breather.
    Some member of the public contacted the Gardaí.

That's what we have become as a country.

Can you believe this???

It’s disgusting, I hate what this country is turning into.
    However...... I’m also annoyed by the comments about it being ok because they were frontline workers on a mental health break. The 5km rule is bull**** for everyone. Equally.

Generalisation but there’s been a real shift in the mood here and across the other COVID related forums. I know I’m stating the obvious but the angers really showing last two days.
    Just wondering what happens if lockdown goes the length into May and cases are still 700 odd a day? Keep lockdown throughout the summer?

Generalisation but there’s been a real shift in the mood here and across the other COVID related forums. I know I’m stating the obvious but the angers really showing last two days.
    Just wondering what happens if lockdown goes the length into May and cases are still 700 odd a day? Keep lockdown throughout the summer?

I think they have lost control of it, people were drained from it anyway, to fly a kite as outrageous as he did on Thursday evening was the staw that broke the camesl back for many.

As I said before, it may only be 20% or 30% of people, but it's enough to lose control...May is a long way off and we are still at the end of a long long winter, the idiot couldn't keep his mouth shut because he has convinced himself this is what the people want...

But talk to people you meet, everyone knows what is happening around the world, this facade that our government policy is proportionate to the impact of the virus is crumbling...you can see it on the threads here, the science deniers advocating level 5 lockdowns are getting hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Multipass wrote: »
    It’s disgusting, I hate what this country is turning into.
    However...... I’m also annoyed by the comments about it being ok because they were frontline workers on a mental health break. The 5km rule is bull**** for everyone. Equally.

This country is slowly but surely turning into China. Chairman Mao Micheal is on one major power trip

• Advertisement

700 a day WITH lockdown... without ? Hospitals at breaking point, as a health service, staff, families ?

I’d have no great issues if frontline hospital medical staff were allowed some sort of break or leeway but.... with our mentality here you have every hospital ‘employee’ maintaining they should be of the same ability, we just can’t afford that.. our hospitals employ around or just under 70,000 people (2019 figure)... we cannot permit people in numbers like that to go off wandering from what are essentially the most risk laden covid environments to galavanting around the entire country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement