Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

carq wrote: »
    700,000 - > end of march according to Donnelly

criminally slow progress

• Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

PaulieC wrote: »
    criminally slow progress

Depends on the delivery of vaccines as well as rollout of vaccinations. The 700k is based on having receipt of 1.4 million doses by the end of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

carq wrote: »
    700,000 - > end of march according to Donnelly

Supply is due to seriously ramp up from April too with over 1 million per month all going well. The J&J one dose would be a game changer should it come to pass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

The only thing that scares me is how right I have been through out ;)

Spooky

I seem to recall you confidently stating that a vaccine would never be developed. Or if we managed to it would take years

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Do people need a yearly shot like the flu vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,631 ✭✭✭micks_address

Watching the Panaroma program last night on bbc and the vaccine rollout seems rather chaotic. Maybe a calmer approach might work out better in the long run

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Do people need a yearly shot like the flu vaccine.

We need annual vaccination with the flu because there are vastly different flu strains each year.

There is comparatively little mutation of this coronavirus in comparison so the need for annual immunisation will be less.

The scientists haven't worked out how long defense the vaccine will give.

I would wager that we will have a future booster vaccine for covid 19 at a later date but it wont be annual (maybe for high risk).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

If the vaccine works and is given to the vulnerable then deaths will fall, that is logical.

Then we can prepare ourselves for a year of the fearmongers bleating about Long Covid and zero covid and anything else they can use to extend the misery for as long as they can.

I guarantee that at some point we will have covid deaths at zero again but will still have the concerned citizens spreading fear and calling for restrictions. Hopefully in government there will be some adults in the room who can make some hard decisions regardless of the social media mob.

What you and a lot of people fail to realise is that it's not just about deaths. Do you understand that even if every patient was to make it out of hospital alive and there were no deaths from covid the numbers in hospitals due to covid is still a problem? Every covid case in a hospital means one less bed for a non covid patient.
    This is the very basic reason for lockdowns, social distancing and masks. I don't really get why so many people struggle with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

I think this will all be well over by the end of August 2021. Unfortunately it will be quickly followed in October by another much worse global pandemic....some weird hybrid of ebola and bubonic plague but 15 times more contagious. Try to remain positive though!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

aido79 wrote: »
    What you and a lot of people fail to realise is that it's not just about deaths. Do you understand that even if every patient was to make it out of hospital alive and there were no deaths from covid the numbers in hospitals due to covid is still a problem? Every covid case in a hospital means one less bed for a non covid patient.
    This is the very basic reason for lockdowns, social distancing and masks. I don't really get why so many people struggle with this.

Spare me, it is patently self evident that deaths and hospital admissions corollate closely, if the vaccine works and deaths fall to zero I guarantee that hospital admissions would also be minimal.

You seem to be saying there could be a scenario in which covid deaths are zero but that hospitals would still be jammed with seriously ill people. The only way anybody could think that plausible is if their entire mindset is dominated by fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

saabsaab wrote: »
    Mask wearing was normal in big Asian cities for a while now.

It's normal for when you are sick and don't want to spread your cold/flu whatever. It's not normal for people who are feeling OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

God you would be hoping for some level of normality by the summer really.

I bought my wife Ryanair vouchers for Christmas in the hope that by Easter she would possibly be in a place to visit her sister in Liverpool who just had a baby Christmas week preferably without the need to isolate etc, thats probably a bit optimistic now i think.

Secondly we booked Center Parcs for August, hoping by that stage there wont be the restrictions on how often you can use the pool etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,019 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Spare me, it is patently self evident that deaths and hospital admissions corollate closely, if the vaccine works and deaths fall to zero I guarantee that hospital admissions would also be minimal.

You seem to be saying there could be a scenario in which covid deaths are zero but that hospitals would still be jammed with seriously ill people. The only way anybody could think that plausible is if their entire mindset is dominated by fear.

It was pretty clear what you meant, I cant understand why people struggle understanding, its like as if they are programmed to be always pessimistic and always expect the worst.

criminally slow progress

Looks fairly reasonable to me tbh. Vaccinations have to be deployed on effectively an appointment basis. We can't have folk queuing up at the GP for them.

What was criminal IMO was folk on restaurant circuits for December, lock ins, house parties etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

When will things go back to normal?

With vaccines now available will we be here In January 2022 with covid dominating the news headlines? I would love to know.

It's never going to end.

The vaccine does not stop transmission of the virus
    Masks distancing and restrictions on your personal liberty and travel are here to stay.
    That was why the virus was created and deliberately released.
    The plan is to destroy small businesses and wipe out the middle class destroy democracy freedom and human rights create a police state and compliance.
    When joblessesness leads to economic collapse mass homelessness followed by famine and depopulation begins a beaten people will continue to wear masks socially distance and wash their hands until the end.

Most folk who go into hospital with covid don't need ICU ......... lots of folk who need ICU don't die.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

criminally slow progress

We should be able to do better. However, who knows we won't?

If they managed to go through over 65s, health care workers and whoever deems themselves to be vulnerable by the end of March, I'd take it. I'd call it a success even.

Don't forget not everyone will come forward even in those groups. 700k may well have all those groups covered.

And I'd be fairly confident at around 700k or maybe 1m for arguments sake we will have critical mass to drive hospitalisations and deaths into the ground.

There will still be calls for being careful and continue with some restrictions - what about the young sick and long covid yada yada - but these voices will be there regardless, we can deal with that later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

pawdee wrote: »
    I think this will all be well over by the end of August 2021. Unfortunately it will be quickly followed in October by another much worse global pandemic....some weird hybrid of ebola and bubonic plague but 15 times more contagious. Try to remain positive though!

And you confidently state that all this will happen because..............why exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It's never going to end.

Masks distancing and restrictions on your personal liberty and travel are here to stay.
    The plan is to destroy small businesses and wipe out the middle class destroy democracy freedom and human rights create a police state and compliance.
    When joblessesness leads to economic collapse mass homelessness followed by famine and depopulation begins a beaten people will continue to wear masks socially distance and wash their hands until the end.

There are threads in the conspiracy theory forum for this kind of crap.

It's never going to end.

Not exactly true.

Pfizer and Moderna, for example, just didn't test for it so they aren't in a position to say to what degree it limits transmission. Oxford/AZ said they have sampled and found reduced levels of transmission but in all cases, this will be determined over time.

Besides, when enough of the population have the vaccine, if someone transmits the virus to them, they may be infected but they won't havet he disease.

• Advertisement

Don't forget not everyone will come forward even in those groups. ......................

Loads of folk won't get vaccinated. You'll have some obese lad who reckons the vaccine is a risk etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I apologise. I misread your post and didn't realise you were factoring in the vaccine.
    I am so used to hearing conspiracy theorists these days who fail to realise that the health can be overwhelmed without people actually dying that I thought this was the angle you were looking at it from.

Obviously if the vaccine works then hospital admissions drop as more people are vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Augeo wrote: »
    Loads of folk won't get vaccinated. You'll have some obese lad who reckons the vaccine is a risk etc etc etc.

There will be that. But they will have to understand that society wont wait for them. if you refuse a vaccine and we open up your personal risk is on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Speaking a nurse over the weekend who works in a large acute hospital here in England. She said that basically the number of deaths are greatly exaggerated. I am not peddling some crazy hoax theories- far from it.

One of the reasons is to speed up the release of bodies to the Muslim communities hence why the apparently disportionate high Covid deaths among the Asian communities. Basically hospitals are sticking down Covid on the death cert even if they may have it but it does not follow that was the cause of death but nevertheless it is included in the headline figures.

In fact, she is the second nurse (next door neighbour and in a different hospital) to say they same thing to me and an A&E consultant in a different hospital again said the same. All unrelated and separate conversations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

It's never going to end.

Nonsense. Do you seriously believe all that conspiracy theory bull****e?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

It's never going to end.

I took your unedited post as serious and was in the middle of replying to it but gave up....now I realise you were just taking the mick

Not exactly true.

Pfizer and Moderna, for example, just didn't test for it so they aren't in a position to say to what degree it limits transmission. Oxford/AZ said they have sampled and found reduced levels of transmission but in all cases, this will be determined over time.

Besides, when enough of the population have the vaccine, if someone transmits the virus to them, they may be infected but they won't havet he disease.

The CMO Tony Holohan just said so.
    The vaccine does not prevent transmission.
    So the restrictions masks etc will continue even if the vaccine is rolled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Augeo wrote: »
    And you'll have other obese lads like myself that will :D:D

If you dont get the vaccine then thats on you but you should be restricted from the general population until you do.

The CMO Tony Holohan just said so.
    The vaccine does not prevent transmission.
    So the restrictions masks et will continue even of the vaccine is rolled out.

The fact is they don't know regardess of what he said.

But if it's transmitted and you have been vaccinated then you don't get the disease so transmission isn't an issue once you hit the a critical mass of people vaccinated.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    And you'll have other obese lads like myself that will :D:D

If you dont get the vaccine then thats on you but you should be restricted from the general population until you do.

By you and who's army? A guy refuses to take the vaccine so he is imprisoned for life?
    A large portion of society will refuse to take it.
    What do you do then?
    Keep society locked down forever?
    Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the current lockdown and restrictions? Doesn't that render this all utterly pointless?
    The economic and social price is too high.
    The virus is out of control and we should accept defeat and get back to normal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement