Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,236 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Getting pissed off at all this Variants talk and shutting down just incase

Who is shutting down just in case of variants?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The his post only got one single thank (except mine). It’s real news that will help bring the pandemic and the restrictions, to an end. And most of the ones who like to go on and on about Tony Hoolahoop and MeHole Martin, didn’t seem to show any interest in it.

I think they prefer to read posts giving out about lockdown, to things that will actually bring lockdown to an end.

Great news suggesting the vaccine will help curb transmissions as well as prevent people becoming sick.

It's fantastic news. The issue is despite all this fantastic news, we still have government and NPHET talking as if this summer will be more restricted than last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,236 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

beauf wrote: »
    Lockdowns not working and people not adhering to the regulations. Can't possibly be any connection there.

People are fed up with the restrictions they aren't adhering to. So they aren't going to adhere to them. How will we notice the difference?

It’ll probably just mean the cases drop more slowly and it takes longer to reduce restrictions. The people who break the restrictions know how it works, even if they pretend they don’t get it, they know they’re prolonging the restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It's fantastic news. The issue is despite all this fantastic news, we still have government and NPHET talking as if this summer will be more restricted than last summer.

Well the govt at least have made some real dumb decisions. But you can't win here glass half full of empty someone will moan about it.

We know it will end. We've had restrictions lifted before and we've seen it completely lifted in other countries. Some people don't understand rolling restrictions. Everything is black or white.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Have to be open to shut down, try again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Have to be open to shut down, try again.

Third time lucky hopefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

More goal posts moving. From "cases are high" to "we need to stay in lockdown and be cautious about potential risks of new variants".

Its quite clear only protests will have an effect. You gotta be one naive individual to think that in May or June Tony H will all of a sudden say "I am not concerned about new cases now, hospitality should re open". You gotta be even more naive to think that government actually will do something against Tony's will :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

GazzaL wrote: »
    There were 148 fatalities on Irish roads last year. We could get that number down to zero instantly if we banned all motor vehicles.

yup that argument has failed every time it has been tried.
    we have all sorts in place to prevent as much as is practical issues caused by cars, just like we are doing with covid.
    oh dear, try again.
    Not all of them. There are still few here who support this shower of sh*te.

But thankfully 99% + dont.

case numbers falling would suggest you are again, incorrect.
    ah well, better luck next time.

I'm not ok with the idea when it comes to cars, I'm pointing out the complete and utter nonsensical logic used by pro-lockdown nutjobs.

well, you failed hard given the logic behind the approach to covid isn't nonsensical and your argument failed due to the fact that there are laws/rules/all else in place to deal with as much as is practical, the issues vehicles can cause.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

More goal posts moving. From "cases are high" to "we need to stay in lockdown and be cautious about potential risks of new variants".

Its quite clear only protests will have an effect. You gotta be one naive individual to think that in May or June Tony H will all of a sudden say "I am not concerned about new cases now, hospitality should re open". You gotta be even more naive to think that government actually will do something against Tony's will :pac:

nope it's simply tempering expectations and being as realistic as they can based on the information currently.
    protests won't do anything, just ask the little violent rioters in the netherlands, who i believe it was you who supported.
    the government have gone against tony a few times, tony ended up being proven right.

Not all of them. There are still few here who support this shower of sh*te.

But thankfully 99% + dont.

I mean, I hate to call someone a bull****ter but.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Allinall

I think you are being extremely naive if you think protests will make any difference.

Why would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Laura2021

Driving through howth village today and its was crazy it was like paddys day the amount of people out good few people with no mask on waiting to get a chipper or icecream

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I would ask the same question.... Why would they?
    Also these protests that the posters talking about.... what protests ? Where are they? Is he/she organising them?
    Seriously...Im intrigued.
    Allinall wrote: »
    I think you are being extremely naive if you think protests will make any difference.

Why would they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

The other issue here is if the vaccine programme here doesn’t proceed at lightening speed over the next few months, there will be a lot of disillusionment and political issues will inevitably ensue.

The speed of that programme and FF & FG being politically relevant in the next elections are probably intrinsically linked.

Also on vaccinations, the bar is the U.K., not the EU comparison tables as that’s where we’re going to be most likely to be seeing most. The fact that we might be at the upper end of the EU league table isn’t what most people will pay attention to. It’ll be about comparison with the U.K. and the USA, because that’s the media we consume and the most likely places we have familial ties to.

johnire wrote: »
    I would ask the same question.... Why would they?
    Also these protests that the posters talking about.... what protests ? Where are they? Is he/she organising them?
    Seriously...Im intrigued.

Why are you asking? You wanna open your curtains to look? :pac:

Why would they?

Wait - you really think entire nation will hold firm until Tony H and NPHET overlords will "allow" re opening of barbers and restaurants in June?

You are taking it to a whole new level of naive if you are.

Wait - you really think entire nation will hold firm until Tony H and NPHET overlords will "allow" re opening of barbers and restaurants in June?

Yes. They'll moan on Facebook and boards, but ultimately will do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Allinall

Where did I say anything like that?

I asked how you think protests will make any difference.

Are you able to answer?

I don’t think you’d get mass protests in Ireland tbh. It’s not France and the government is relatively much more accessible ans responsive than an executive presidency or high majority parliamentary systems like the U.K.

I would suspect if you saw a pushback here it would be just like what happened at Christmas. Demands would be made, lobbies would push, back benchers and even front benchers would put pressure on and things would open. It’s an extremely responsive system and has very little executive power in reality, despite imaginations on various right wing forums.

What’s keeping things on track at the moment is just consensus of public buy in after the Christmas disaster.

I wouldn’t underestimate the level of it though based on what you’re seeing on a few Internet forums. The public has been a *lot* more conservative than some of the commentators and often even the government.

I mean one of the parties is probably closer to being “The Publican Party” than the Republic Party, yet they’re somehow managing stay off the pints, which is really remarkable.

Outliers don’t necessarily describe public opinion.

On paper we’ve had a lot of restrictions. In reality they’re mostly very, very loosely enforced compared to what I’ve seen reported elsewhere in Europe, in the U.K. or even in the US.

Where did I say anything like that?

I asked how you think protests will make any difference.

Are you able to answer?

Think about it logically, assume people do nothing. Like you. Then we will stay in level 5 until May at the earliest.

Now, I ll help you, imagine people actually do something, gather and send the message of "end the lockdown" to the government. Do you think that in both scenarios there will be no difference?

If you think answer to my question is yes then there is no point in telling you what difference protests will make... so please do answer.

• Advertisement

Think about it logically, assume people do nothing. Like you. Then we will stay in level 5 until May at the earliest.

Now, I ll help you, imagine people actually do something, gather and send the message of "end the lockdown" to the government. Do you think that in both scenarios there will be no difference?

If you think answer to my question is yes then there is no point in telling you what difference protests will make... so please do answer.
    Did the protests last year work?

as i said, just ask those who rioted in the netherlands do protests make a difference.
    the fact is they lost, restrictions are still in place and the lock down remained after their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Not even protests just opinion polls.

Look how quick the government condemned and took takeaway pints away after Twitter/Media outrage, or how quick they are to comment on things in the US. This lot want to be liked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I asked you very simply what protests are you talking about?
    Where are they?
    Are you organising any seeing as you seem to be in favour of them?
    Why are you asking? You wanna open your curtains to look? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

I don’t think you’d get mass protests in Ireland tbh. It’s not France and the government is relatively much more accessible ans responsive than an executive presidency or high majority parliamentary systems like the U.K.

I would suspect if you saw a pushback here it would be just like what happened at Christmas. Demands would be made, lobbies would push, back benchers and even front benchers would put pressure on and things would open. It’s an extremely responsive system and has very little executive power in reality, despite imaginations on various right wing forums.

What’s keeping things on track at the moment is just consensus of public buy in after the Christmas disaster.

I wouldn’t underestimate the level of it though based on what you’re seeing on a few Internet forums. The public has been a *lot* more conservative than some of the commentators and often even the government.

I mean one of the parties is probably closer to being “The Publican Party” than the Republic Party, yet they’re somehow managing stay off the pints, which is really remarkable.

Outliers don’t necessarily describe public opinion.

On paper we’ve had a lot of restrictions. In reality they’re mostly very, very loosely enforced compared to what I’ve seen reported elsewhere in Europe, in the U.K. or even in the US.

Ireland has had the third strictest restrictions in the world. I’ve been back and forth to the UK since April and I can tell you Ireland is far stricter. There’s loads of places in the US too that are more or less operating as normal.

If you think this is ‘loosely enforced’ I’d hate to see what you think is strict.

Parachutes wrote: »
    Ireland has had the third strictest restrictions in the world. I’ve been back and forth to the UK since April and I can tell you Ireland is far stricter. There’s loads of places in the US too that are more or less operating as normal.

If you think this is ‘loosely enforced’ I’d hate to see what you think is strict.

Well a friend of mine in Spain’s experience was being shouted abuse at by police, having to fill in forms to walk the dog. We never had anything even remotely approaching that.

During the entire pandemic my only encounter with the guards was a checkpoint where she went “how are ya? - freezing night isn’t it. Mind the ice!”

What we do have is a long, drawn out set of half arsed restrictions that look good in paper.

There’s a stark contrast between the reality and I think people who are living in bubbles online, getting extremely angry with stuff that is in reality enforced with light touches so light you’d hardly notice them.

The only ppl I’ve seen in media who’ve been prosecuted were absolutely taking the pi$$

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

case numbers falling would suggest you are again, incorrect.
    ah well, better luck next time.

But falling so slowly that if the current rate of decrease were to continue, we wouldn't reach the magic 100 cases until the 20th of October.

sQNDxD9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Everywhere I went today was absolutely packed. Loads of people out in the shops and going for food and drinks. Businesses are mad not to stand up for themselves and open up at this stage. Just don't make a song and dance of it that would attract too much attention from the lockdown loonies. Keep the head down and carry on.

They need to take a more nuanced approach to these business restrictions though. I don’t see how something like a big box hardware store can be in anyway more of a risk than a supermarket.

There are loads and load of examples of closed businesses that just makes no sense.

Also with regards to the hospitality sector, we do have some specific issues with pubs, but it seems like as the weather gets better, safe, well distances outdoor dining should be tried and if there’s no spike keeping going with it.

Shouldn’t we be doing experiments like maybe opening some business types in one town & doing mass testing to see what happens to case numbers and then applying that knowledge to policy?!

The cost of doing stuff like that could result in huge benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Everywhere I went today was absolutely packed. Loads of people out in the shops and going for food and drinks. Businesses are mad not to stand up for themselves and open up at this stage. Just don't make a song and dance of it that would attract too much attention from the lockdown loonies. Keep the head down and carry on.

Stupid, stupid and third time stupid. Last thing we need is more loonies posting this shīte.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement