Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

beauf wrote: »
    So if Covid is no worse than the flu and I assume they don't work when they have the flu I assume you don't want them working if they have Covid.

I am sure many medical staff have gone to work with the flu......and many with covid.....

See it's black and white. It's in favour of any restrictions or none. No middle ground.

Life I find is kinda grey.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    I am sure many medical staff have gone to work with the flu......and many with covid.....

So back to you want medical staff to work when sick. Because it's only a flu.

Life I find is kinda grey.....

Not on this thread .

Nothing is open, lockdown is forever etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Glebee

Another Sunday night, another nothing week ahead.

• Advertisement

So back to you want medical staff to work when sick. Because it's only a flu.

Medical staff work all the time when somewhat sick just like the entire population does....be it the flu or covid or a cold or many other things.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,590 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nervy wait for the new plan but as we all know certain people in power cant keep their mouths shut and plans will be leaked in dribs and drabs

Medical staff work all the time when somewhat sick just like the entire population does....be it the flu or covid or a cold or many other things.....

Well I guess if Covid is just like a cold. We need even less precautions then the flu.

You have to wonder why the world is making such a fuss about a cold like illness

Well I guess if Covid is just like a cold. We need even less precautions then the flu.

You have to wonder why the world is making such a fuss about a cold like illness

Didn't say that but as usual rather than answering any questions you deflect.

I will ask gain?

Exactly what criteria do you want us to meet to entirely lift all restrictions?

It is the same question I ask all lockdown people and I have yet to get an answer that makes any sense.

Most just like you head off down some other line.....to deflect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Yes the irony hasn't been lost on me either. We suddenly seem to care about 80 and 90 year olds dieing whereas year after year they have just been a statistic. And by the way you are lucky to get a trolley normally, a chair is standard treatment procedure.

There were plans afoot pre covid to bring in euthanasia.

So the vaccine shot is supposed to keep the sick and very old alive so they can agree to be bumped off later with another jab?

• Advertisement

There were plans afoot pre covid to bring in euthanasia.

So the vaccine shot is supposed to keep the sick and very old alive so they can agree to be bumped off later with another jab?

FFS
    Educate yourself on euthanasia will you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I will ask gain?

It is the same question I ask all lockdown people and I have yet to get an answer that makes any sense.

Just curious, what's your criteria?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,278 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

xhomelezz wrote: »

Just curious.....what's your Quest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

tara2k wrote: »
    Well, they are going to get their wish. The vaccine isn't a magic bullet, and the country is still going to have to live with Covid, when the rollout is complete. Lockdowns are a cheap and effective way of protecting the hospitals right now. That might change when the cheap money dries up, but that is the strategy that they've decided to run with, and it's a good one from the perspective of the HSE and government. They are probably going to destroy your economy, and force a generation to move abroad, but that appears to be an afterthought.

Nope, no one is going to get their wish. This will end…….

Just curious.....what's your Quest?

To understand.

Well quite simple really. Vaccinate all those over 65 and the medically vulnerable and then open up entirely and fully and get on with it.

Have never been in favour of any legal restrictions oe enforced closures but accept people have been so terrified into submission that isn't where we are or have been.

Well quite simple really. Vaccinate all those over 65 and the medically vulnerable and then open up entirely and fully and get on with it.

Have never been in favour of any legal restrictions oe enforced closures but accept people have been so terrified into submission that isn't where we are or have been.

It will take a while to achieve that. But I agree when ALL vulnerable parts of society are vaccinated, we should ease up restrictions.

That second part of your post.. well I'm sorry, people are not terrified, people chose to be careful.

I will ask gain?

Well you deflected my question. Like for like seems fair.

I can't answer that as a "lockdown person" whatever that is, as I'm not pro a permanent lock down.
    But I suspect most people ProCovid people aren't looking for answers. Since when you look up most of their facts they are mostly untrue. Which tells its own story.

If you look at the stats and the pattern, on the face of it, I guess you'd pick the most successful time as a benchmark to guide us going forward.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1107064/coronavirus-cases-development-ireland/

However we aren't dealing with the same situation as we were back then. We are in a worse position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭HBC08

You said people went nuts at christmas, and thats emotive nonsense designed to spread a narrative.

"Went nuts", as if it was the last days of sodom and gomorrah, as if the Irish public were let loose like a bunch of toddlers at break time. As if the pubs were actually open and as if the country in December wasn't still under a level of restriction unseen in our lifetimes.

The ****ing Irish public didn't go nuts, they just went home.

And that was enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

via Reddit Ireland
    If you look at last few weeks, the drop is getting halved every week. we're gonna plateau soon at this rate. no wonder they don't want to lift any restrictions.

And rightly so

The "bUt tHe eCoNoMy!" crowd were simply shíte at Maths in school

Lockdowns are the lesser of two evils. The economy is fúcked either way

So that's 5,564 cases this week. A drop of 480 compared to last week.

A list of previous weeks (Mon-Sun) for anyone interested:

A graph of weekly cases.
    • Week 38 - 1,982 (Dublin Level 3: 18/09)
    • Week 39 - 2,084 (Donegal Level 3: 25/09)
    • Week 40 - 3,070
    • Week 41 - 4,510 (National Level 3: 07/10)
    • Week 42 - 7,495 (Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan Level 4: 15/10)
    • Week 43 - 7,194 (National Level 5: 22/10)
    • Week 44 - 4,940
    • Week 45 - 3,500
    • Week 46 - 2,613
    • Week 47 - 2,622
    • Week 48 - 1,830
    • Week 49 - 2,050 (National Level 3: 01/12)
    • Week 50 - 1,984
    • Week 51 - 3,381
    • Week 52 - 6,659
    • Week 53 - 15,759 (National Level 5: 30/12)
    • Week 01 (2021) - 45,770
    • Week 02 - 25,212
    • Week 03 - 14,877
    • Week 04 - 9,016
    • Week 05 - 7,170
    • Week 06 - 6,044
    • Week 07 - 5,564 (This Week)
    it seems to be on trend. This is going to be a long slog. Have a look at our highest number of cases in Dec. I’m going to round these for ease.

45k. The next week is 25k. So a difference of 20k roughly.

Now the week after 14k. A difference of 11k roughly. So just over half the drop of the previous week.

The next week again, 9k. About a 5k drop. So again, just around half the number of cases dropped in the previous week.

Keep going along the weeks and it seems to be about the same. So if we have (let’s be generous) 500 less cases than last week, I expect the difference of next week to be about 250.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

your grand thanks, apart from getting the kids back to school as soon as we can, letting people do the rest and turning the country into a basket case with a crashed health system unable to treat anyone is something i think most wil give a miss, thanks.
    you can get a drink and have dinner at home, much cheaper and more tastey.

Ya because before covid the HSE was gold standard wasn't it. Year's of waiting lists, trolley crisis, cervical scandal etc etc.
    Things opened up last summer and went fairly smoothly until wait for it ' FLU SEASON' AKA WINTER! LIKE EVERY YEAR.
    And by your have a drink and dinner at home attitude, sure you might aswell go and grow your own food and raise your own animals etc etc because sure yanno it's much cheaper and tasty isn't it.

It will take a while to achieve that. But I agree when ALL vulnerable parts of society are vaccinated, we should ease up restrictions.

That second part of your post.. well I'm sorry, people are not terrified, people chose to be careful.

I'm not entirely sure how people are terrified and submitting to the regulations, and at the same time had enough and ignoring the regulations.

Some said " infection rates down and over 70 per cent vaccinated" whats the guesstimate for when they'll get 70% vaccinated. Some say autumn. I doubt the "Pro Covid" crowd will wait that long. Sound like they've already given up waiting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Maurice Byrne

Does anyone want to set up an internet forum called banned.ie ?

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    via Reddit Ireland

And rightly so

The "bUt tHe eCoNoMy!" crowd were simply shíte at Maths in school

Lockdowns are the lesser of two evils. The economy is fúcked either way

Faster to reduce deaths generally follows faster recovering economy I've seen some reports say.

Others aren't really worried about the over 65s or vulnerable. (unless on a trolley) so they will want it opened up regardless of any stats. So the numbers are immaterial to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

I was worried the new 'plan' would start pushing dates out until later in the year and just keep pushing and pushing them out further...now it seems like they just are not going to bother with dates:)

would nearly prefer if they make no changes at next review rather than what i think they will do and throw us a few crumbs that they will try sell as progress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,278 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I hope the new plan goes back to County level or even Provence, that seemed to be working and gave people some hope when pulling together. The Guards could concentrate on provincial borders they've no hope of controlling the situation as it is. MM coming out this week and saying level 5 for another few months nation wide will be laughed out the door by a lot of people as it's unenforceable.

If its unenforceable whats the issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭6541

I wonder does Tanzania have the right approach ?

Watch this short video from African news.

https://www.africanews.com/2021/02/03/tanzania-minister-no-interest-in-procuring-covid-19-vaccines//

Well you deflected my question. Like for like seems fair.

I can't answer that as a "lockdown person" whatever that is, as I'm not pro a permanent lock down.
    But I suspect most people ProCovid people aren't looking for answers. Since when you look up most of their facts they are mostly untrue. Which tells its own story.

If you look at the stats and the pattern, on the face of it, I guess you'd pick the most successful time as a benchmark to guide us going forward.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1107064/coronavirus-cases-development-ireland/

However we aren't dealing with the same situation as we were back then. We are in a worse position.

It is funny as you are continuing along the same path and every person broadly in favour of lockdown that I discuss this with goes the same way. Deflection to dead end arguments about protecting the health service etc etc etc

They can't actually stipulate what they believe is the point we should lift all restrictions.

I have clearly explained mine, vaccinate the over 65's and the medically vulnerable and we move on and live with it.

Why because life is grey and once the above cohort is vaccinated the vast majority of hospitalizations and deaths will go and we have to all grow up and tolerate the remaining negatives. Why? - because the damage being done by not fully opening up is enormous and far outweighs any positive benefit from preventing a small number of hospitalizations and deaths.

Read the CSO data, this is a virus that only presents a significant risk to the elderly and some medically vulnerable people.

So if you would like to outline when you (and you can define yourself as whatever you want) think we should lift all restrictions I am all ears.....

And whatever you answer is I will respect it. I may point out areas I don't agree with or I might not agree with it at all but I will respect it.

Waiting........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Did Sweden adopt the policy of little or no lockdowns and as far as I know I don't think it worked out too well for them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement