Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You'd have to be a sociopath to not realise why social distancing needs to be dropped the minute its no longer absolutely neccesary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

In my opinion, lots of measures we are currently taking to counter the spreading of the virus will stay forever, or at least for many many years.
    Masks, social distancing, hand sanitizers, are relatively inexpensive and have proved to work rather effectively, so why drop them even in the future? They will prevent any possible future airborne disease.
    Temperature scanning at the entrance of premises and screens at counters - shops and businesses have invested thousands to have them, will they just store them in the back shed or will they keep using them in the future?

Once that we get used to all this stuff, we won't even bother whether they are in place or not.

Social distancing wont be, it cant be.

Others yeah i can see them becoming part of everyday life. People will continue to wear masks but it wont be mandatory, hand sanitizer another thing that will become part of everyday life, working from home more popular and accepted (already the last company i worked with are breaking out in cold sweats at the thought of that) no issues as to why it shouldnt really.

But if you think people will just get used to social distancing for now on then your wrong im afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

It’s so sad how some people believe we should be muzzled up for the rest of eternity because of bloody the Covid.what’s the point of vaccines so.as soon as possible I’ll be burning my face masks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

and how long is this balance going to take then?

People are about done with ****ing restrictions.
    At this point just get back to life and let nature take its course

Nope. Id strongly disagree. That's the completely "fuk it' approach and no civilised society on the planet is going to go for it. If you do find someplace which has such a policy - send us a postcard and let us know how you're getting on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It’s so sad how some people believe we should be muzzled up for the rest of eternity because of bloody the Covid.what’s the point of vaccines so.as soon as possible I’ll be burning my face masks

Who's saying that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    The first jab is the key one as it confers high levels of immunity and dramatically reduces your chances of ending up in hospital or worse.

The second jab think of it as a booster, not a big deal but a nice to have.
    Still too much weight being given to vaccines as being a magic bullet. AstraZeneca, the one being rolled out in the UK (because it's £3 a pop compared to the others at £27a pop) is only 62% efficient AFTER the second dose.

Do people understand what that means? For more than a third of the people who receive it, it will be of no benefit!

Vaccines are going to help with the spread of covid but stop kidding yourself that they're some sort of solution. They're really not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Scotty # wrote: »
    Still too much weight being given to vaccines as being a magic bullet. AstraZeneca, the one being rolled out in the UK (because it's £3 a pop compared to the others at £27a pop) is only 62% efficient AFTER the second dose.

Do people understand what that means? For more than a third of the people who receive it, it will be of no benefit!

Vaccines are going to help with the spread of covid but stop kidding yourself that they're some sort of solution. They're really not.

Well you clearly do not

AdamD wrote: »
    Well you clearly do not
    So explain to me what 62% efficacy means?

From the HSE...
    AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine
    The AstraZeneca vaccine has been tested on people aged 18 and older.

The current evidence is that the vaccine protects 60% of people who get it.

The AstraZeneca vaccine was tested on very few people over 55. Clinical trials are ongoing to show how well it works in this age group.

Until we have the clinical trial results, the Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines will be given to older people.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

What? This is some next level nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Agree to disagree on this one, you can't have a socially distanced gig.

I believe the long term changes relate to greater numbers working from home, hand hygiene and cough etiquette...none of that a bad thing.

https://www.boredpanda.com/social-distance-concert-sam-fender-newcastle-festival/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55794674
    https://www.wionews.com/photos/future-of-concerts-the-flaming-lips-perform-in-plastic-bubbles-in-covid-times-336368#bubble-concert-336355

A bit daft maybe.

• Advertisement

BigMo1 wrote: »
    What? This is some next level nonsense.
    Perhaps you can show how?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Any link to back UK your claim Scott? Because this would claim otherwise.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/covid-19-vaccine-rollout-linked-to-85-and-94-drop-in-coronavirus-hospital-admissions-in-scotland-study-shows-12225532

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Perhaps you can show how?

What evidence is there that a third of people who get the vaccine will receive no benefit? Every article I've read has said vaccines give well over 90% protection against serious illness and hospitalisation.

Klonker wrote: »
    That's in conjunction with all the other lockdown measures.

You'll find everything you need to know about AstraZeneca here. And the official pdf here. From page 7...

Vaccine efficacy was 62.6% (95% CI: 50.9; 71.5) in participants receiving two recommended doses with any dose interval (ranging from 3 to 23 weeks), in a pre-specified analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

What evidence is there that a third of people who get the vaccine will receive no benefit? Every article I've read has said vaccines give well over 90% protection against serious illness and hospitalisation.

I'd imagine that not all vaccines are equally effective.

See above, the AstraZeneca vaccine is not a patch on the pFizer of Moderna ones but it is less than a 5th of the cost and it is available is large quantities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

The only way all restrictions will be lifted is when the virus is eradicated from the community. Until then we'll still have masks and limits on capacity on indoor gatherings. Even with 100% vaccine these restrictions will still apply.

You seem to be underestimating the virus and overestimating the vaccine. The vaccine does not make you immune, it does not make you untransmissible. It simple reduced the infection - nothing more. People will still get sick but hopefully not as many will require hospitalisation. But, if you think you can drop all other restrictions and rely solely on the vaccine controlling the virus, well... then you've clearly no understanding of the vaccine or the virus.

We've already seen how many thousands can become infected per day when restrictions are eased (the vaccine won't stop this) and it only takes a very small % of those to require hospitalisation before we're all in Level5 again.

Restrictions are here for the foreseeable I'm afraid. They'll be eased off slowly and gently until we find a balance.

That's just not going to happen. There is absolutely no chance that the current restrictions will last until 2022 as some are predicting.

I predict we will get to August before we will have to make the decision between having an economy or forcing vulnerable people to isolate.

Who is going to pay for hundreds of thousands of people to sit on the dole for a virus that kills less than 2%, the vast majority of whom were ill, elderly or had an underlying condition?

You'd have to be a sociopath to not realise why social distancing needs to be dropped the minute its no longer absolutely neccesary

Bit harsh. Some might just be autistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

They work? We had 2 further lockdowns after mask love affair started.

Unless by work you mean lead us into level 5 lockdowns

So they don't work? Then why keep using them?
    It is also possible that they seem not to work because several people don't wear them properly or at all.

Akesh wrote: »
    Who is going to pay for hundreds of thousands of people to sit on the dole for a virus that kills less than 2%, the vast majority of whom were ill, elderly or had an underlying condition?

Lots of money around, they'll tap into that.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1130/1181414-central-bank-deposit-and-credit-card-stats/

Hospitals have a habit of finding underlying condition for a lot of people who end up in a hospital. People might get a nasty shock thinking they are excluded from that catch all phrase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I mean, the scientists who invented the vaccine disagree with you, but you do you.

Eh no they don't.....but you do you and keep the scaremongering going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

That's in conjunction with all the other lockdown measures.

You'll find everything you need to know about AstraZeneca here. And the official pdf here. From page 7...

Vaccine efficacy was 62.6% (95% CI: 50.9; 71.5) in participants receiving two recommended doses with any dose interval (ranging from 3 to 23 weeks), in a pre-specified analysis.

Have you actually read that properly? You do understand the endpoint being measured for that 62%? Saying that some 40% of vaccinated people get no benefit is a total misunderstanding. Almost all vaccine recipients show an immune response, clearly in some it doesn't seem to be enough to prevent disease completely but the evidence is mounting that it prevents hospitalisation and death in a higher percentage than 62%.

From now on people will be getting sick from this virus, that's the new normal, with the vaccine though it looks like you won't end up in hospital for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

It is also possible that they seem not to work because several people don't wear them properly or at all.

I agree with you. if only people stopped being selfish and put on 3 - 4 masks on at the same time to reduce transmission to 89%, we would be long out of restrictions now.

:rolleyes:

Its not the lockdown that doesn't work.
    Its what happens after it the restrictions is eased.
    Then the difficulties of getting the horse back in the stable.

beauf wrote: »

Not that the other two link show a utopic world, but this article shows something more similar to cattle pens than a concert.

If it were for me, I would have dropped most if not all these measure since the beginning, I hate them all.
    I'm only saying that if something is proved to work, it is highly possible tha tit will be maintained, even if in a different form.

I was browsing old newspapers a week ago, and saw that in the last long pandemic (1957-1960), apparently no restrictions were put in plac and peole kept doing what they were used to do.
    How comes?

Not that the other two link show a utopic world, but this article shows something more similar to cattle pens than a concert.

People comparing a nightclub or concert to Cattle Market.
    That's never happened before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Multipass wrote: »
    Comparing Sweden to its neighbours is just nonsense - they have far more immigration and dense low income housing. Norway is much richer, lower population density and not bound by EU rules regarding movement of people.

comparing 2 countries is kinda a fools errand.
    comparing a group of countries like EU is better , it tends to iron out any unique traits a country have.

beauf wrote: »
    People comparing a nightclub or concert to Cattle Market.
    That's never happened before.

Well, those photos are more similar to a cattle market for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

DaSilva wrote: »
    Have you actually read that properly? You do understand the endpoint being measured for that 62%? Saying that some 40% of vaccinated people get no benefit is a total misunderstanding. Almost all vaccine recipients show an immune response, clearly in some it doesn't seem to be enough to prevent disease completely but the evidence is mounting that it prevents hospitalisation and death in a higher percentage than 62%.

From now on people will be getting sick from this virus, that's the new normal, with the vaccine though it looks like you won't end up in hospital for it

Look the scared sheep don't want to hear about it, unless they are 100% guaranteed that this vaccine stops every covid infection, stops transmission and banishes Covid to Pluto they don't want to hear about it......

We are all entitled to live till 105 with no illness or sickness and anything else just isn't good enough. Lockdown should continue until no one is sick ever.

The reality is these vaccines are very effective after one does and incredibly effective after two doses. And by effective time I mean keeping you out of hospital or dieing. I couldn't care less about Covid if it simply gives old folk a cold like illness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement