Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I think the only thing from this post that people want to know is......did ya get a shift?

A social distance shift

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Scotty # wrote: »
    One of the highest death rates in the world. He has nothing to be proud of!

Maybe just once try a glass half full, I find it tastes better.

This is a good news day for the kids, the unemployed, the depressed, the broke, the elderly....I am in good mood today thanks to Bojo and the vaccine info coming out of the UK.

There is an end in sight now.

Not you or McDonkey or George Lee or Paul Reid or Mehole or any of those doom mongering fools on Newstalk are gonna spoil it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

"No vaccine can ever be 100% effective”, telling MPs: “So, as the modelling released by Sage today shows, we cannot escape the fact that lifting lockdown will result in more cases, more hospitalisations and sadly more deaths.

“And this would happen whenever lockdown is lifted – whether now or in six or nine months – because there will always be some vulnerable people who are not protected by the vaccines.

"There is therefore no credible route to a zero Covid Britain, or indeed, a zero Covid world and we cannot persist indefinitely with restrictions that debilitate our economy, our physical and mental wellbeing and the life chances of our children.

"Alongside the four-step plan, the Prime Minister launched a series of data-based “tests” that would determine whether the next step in the roadmap can be taken.

"UK Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty said that there is a five week gap between each reopening stage to see if the reopening measures and vaccination are having the expected result, and called it a “steady, risk-based, data-driven opening up”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

Scotty # wrote: »
    One of the highest death rates in the world. He has nothing to be proud of!

Dead don't care. Maybe start caring about living ones for once?

"No vaccine can ever be 100% effective”, telling MPs: “So, as the modelling released by Sage today shows, we cannot escape the fact that lifting lockdown will result in more cases, more hospitalisations and sadly more deaths.

“And this would happen whenever lockdown is lifted – whether now or in six or nine months – because there will always be some vulnerable people who are not protected by the vaccines.

"There is therefore no credible route to a zero Covid Britain, or indeed, a zero Covid world and we cannot persist indefinitely with restrictions that debilitate our economy, our physical and mental wellbeing and the life chances of our children.

"Alongside the four-step plan, the Prime Minister launched a series of data-based “tests” that would determine whether the next step in the roadmap can be taken.

"UK Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty said that there is a five week gap between each reopening stage to see if the reopening measures and vaccination are having the expected result, and called it a “steady, risk-based, data-driven opening up”.

Music to my ears...thanks for posting this.

Finally reality is dawning that this endemic virus is now just part of us and part of our human existence. Time to move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Can you imagine either houlihan or glynn or even Martin making that statement.
    It would never happen.
    Our Government are happy on their 200k salary and let the decisions to NPHET

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Now that really isn't nice. Try and stay classy.

j@utis wrote: »
    Dead don't care. Maybe start caring about living ones for once?

RGS wrote: »
    It would never happen.

Incapable of saying anything like the above, ' we are all in this together' was the pinnacle of oratory for them even though it was horse manure from day one.

The border though is gonna force their hand as in time the devolved nations will all slot into place behind Boris despite some noise from Sturgeon, the dynamic duo up north and whoever that fella is in Wales. Once everything opens up North good luck to McDonkey.....

If Boris's grand plan plays out and jeepers I wish him all the good luck in the world with it and all legal restrictions are lifted in the UK by the 21st June we can't be far behind despite McDonkey and NPHET having a hissy fit....or the M1 is gonna be chockers.......

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Music to my ears...thanks for posting this.

Finally reality is dawning that this endemic virus is now just part of us and part of our human existence. Time to move on.

There is an end date to this pandemic. While in Ireland we do not have as bold a plan communicated to us, we know that 1m vaccines are expected to be delivered each month from April.

There is an end date to restrictions and it is months away. 16 weeks to the end of all restrictions in the UK, based on current modelling which of course could change. Until it does change, get excited as you can bet we won't be far behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Really really good and sensible. Finally. Hopefully Ireland can take note.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Brilliant speech based on logic and data. Not the nonsense one death is one too many you hear too often here from the so called experts, government and the opposition.

Speaking of thr opposition, I haven't heard much of a pep from them about zero covid in the last 2 weeks. Next week they'll be looking to open up again.They bend whichever way wind is blowing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

RGS wrote: »
    It would never happen.

Hopefully their reign will come to an end before the year is out as the momentum of the opening up of the UK spreads inevitably to these shores.

The Orange Order will be marching up north while the Croke Park is empty? I don't think so. The publicans restauranters and hoteliers will eventually rebel and open up. Michael O'Leary is sure to start banging the drum to open travel soon enough.

Our young people will not tolerate another summer of lockdown and no holidays abroad. Masks and sanitizer will be burned in public bonfires by dancing protestors before this is over!

Imagine our crowd communicating what their own "data based tests" were on which recommendations are based? Then everyone would be able to help them do their job and they couldn't hide behind anything anymore. Corruption at NPHET and government level is necessarily implied via this secretive approach.

Hopefully their reign will come to an end before the year is out as the momentum of the opening up of the UK spreads inevitably to these shores.

The Orange Order will be marching up north while the Croke Park is empty? I don't think so. The publicans restauranters and hoteliers will eventually rebel and open up. Michael O'Leary is sure to start banging the drum to open travel soon enough.

Our young people will not tolerate another summer of lockdown and no holidays abroad. Masks and sanitizer will be burned in public bonfires by dancing protestors before this is over!

Good post !! I would say O'Leary is gonna be up all night formulating the rant to end all rants though have a horrible feeling RTE and Newstalk will just have his number blocked......he will cut them to shreds !!

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2021/0222/1198480-covid-restrictions/

And meanwhile in the nuthouse the muppets in the Dail are arguing over which hotel buddy of theirs gets the quarantine contract which has a life span of a few weeks tops, anyone with an iota of sense will just be back to border hopping via Belfast. Stelios is as we speak getting Easyjet ready to crank up the Belfast flights !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Really really good and sensible. Finally. Hopefully Ireland can take note.

Chief Medical Officer for England Chris Whitty said Monday that Covid-19 would likely be a problem over the next few winters.

"This is something that we have to see for the long term and, in my view, is likely to be a problem in particular during the winter for the next few winters," Whitty said.

He explained that, just as flu and pneumonia still cause serious illness and fatalities every year, so will Covid-19

"I am afraid, for the foreseeable future, the coronavirus is going to be added to that list of things that those who are vulnerable, even despite vaccination, can be at risk of," he said.

"We vaccinate against flu, we vaccinate against pneumococcal pneumonia and still there are cases and there are deaths."

Whitty added: "I think people need to see it in that way... this is something where the vaccination will take the rates right down but they will not get rid of this."

Wow, so what he is saying is to look at covid like you look at the flu. The doomers won't like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,590 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2021/0222/1198688-
    foster-stormont-schools/

Even Arlene is giving out Positive vibes and us here flooded in misery. Who was that twat Matt Cooper saying the vaccines mean nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

NPHET, our politicians, and the pro-lockdown crowd are about to be dragged kicking and screaming back to reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

I see Britain has had a reality flash. Let's hope 'irreversible' actually means 'irreversible' !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Chomper.

GazzaL wrote: »
    NPHET, our politicians, and the pro-lockdown crowd are about to be dragged kicking and screaming back to reality.

BJ has lobbed a grenade over here

Will be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

GazzaL wrote: »

It's like one of those scenes in a movie where the villain goes "NOOOOOO!" and then starts to melt or turn to ash or something..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭plodder

I admire their optimism. They have taken risks which, since the end of last year, have paid off. The truth is that even if everything goes to plan over the Summer they won't know what's going to happen next Winter until we get there, and there definitely will be hospitalizations and deaths. But, I'd sooner do that and take whatever measures even lock down again if required, than an overly cautious, half hearted reopening which would lead in to the same outcome anyway.

‘Why do you sit out here all alone?’ said Alice…..
    ‘Why, because there’s nobody with me!’ cried Humpty Dumpty.‘Did you think I didn’t know the answer to that?’

plodder wrote: »
    I admire their optimism. They have taken risks which have paid off so far. The truth is that even if everything goes to plan over the Summer they won't know what's going to happen next Winter until we get there, and there definitely will be hospitalizations and deaths. But, I'd sooner do that and take whatever measures even lock down again if required, than an overly cautious, half hearted reopening which would lead in to the same outcome anyway.

It would be level 1 or 2 type restrictions they are talking about when discussing winter surges just to note. I understand your point but just don't get comfortable with lockdowns after the next few months are over and we're back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

PTH2009 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2021/0222/1198688-
    foster-stormont-schools/

Even Arlene is giving out Positive vibes and us here flooded in misery. Who was that twat Matt Cooper saying the vaccines mean nothing

Gerry Killeen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭plodder

It would be level 1 or 2 type restrictions they are talking about when discussing winter surges just to note. I understand your point but just don't get comfortable with lockdowns after the next few months are over and we're back to normal.
    Yeah, level 1 or 2 is what they implied alright. Johnson used the word "irreversible" but when pushed he said it's not guaranteed 100%. My fear is that what our government want to go for is actual 'irreversible' which means a much slower and more cautious approach. I think if we are open to the possibility of some kind of step back, whatever it is, then we could reopen more quickly.

‘Why do you sit out here all alone?’ said Alice…..
    ‘Why, because there’s nobody with me!’ cried Humpty Dumpty.‘Did you think I didn’t know the answer to that?’

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Gerry Killeen

Backed up by Anthony Staines....why oh why does Matt Cooper have these ridiculous characters on??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

plodder wrote: »
    Yeah, level 1 or 2 is what they implied alright. Johnson used the word "irreversible" but when pushed he said it's not guaranteed 100%. My fear is that what our government want to go for is actual 'irreversible' which means a much slower and more cautious approach. I think if we are open to the possibility of some kind of step back, whatever it is, then we could reopen more quickly.

Sorry our shower could find irreversible in a dictionary.
    Our crowd don't have a plan they are hoping the vaccine will be their saviour.
    And when the next election comes they will blame NPHET.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

In ten years of using boards I have never seen so much sense crammed into one post. This should be on the front page of every covid thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Open everything back up. If you die of covid you die of covid. It's probably your fault for not washing your hands or waiting for your vaccine. Somebody will throw you a funeral. People will enjoy the sandwiches. Get drunk. Move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

I would love for BoJo ambitious plan to work out, i really would. I'd probably travel to England a lot more and if Northern Ireland had the same scenario would consider renting up there for a while if WFH continued to be an option

I'm worried this all seems to familar. I've seen England have an ambitious plan before and be thinking it'll be mad they will have a few thousand at sporting events and we wont even have the changing rooms open. It never really materialised though.

Maybe this time the plan is based on solid data and scentific(not qualified to draw conclusions on it) but genuinely worried that it will not work and the dissapointment will have very negative impacts on people's mental health. We already have enough threats to our mental health from the irish govt\NPHET, lets not get too involved in what BoJo does

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement