Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-response-spring-2021

Bit of light reading there folks. Have sifted through it all and it looks like the real deal.

Key metrics are pretty simple and it all looks entirely achievable.

I think in a few months time we will be sitting back and saying thank f**k for this document.

It is I think as close as we are ever going to get to a clear path put of the lockdown agenda and a reality check for people in terms of living with Covid in the background.

Nothing is certain and Boris is right to say nothing is guaranteed but if the vaccines are working as well as they say they are this document will be followed to a tee.

Good day today.

Expect from our mob limited attention to what the UK are doing and deflection for the moment with 'caution being messaged etc etc' but if any of them have the smallest shred of intelligence I would be rapidly moving to escalate vaccines and changing tack to what the UK have done and get as many people single dosed as possible. When the UK moves through the gears and follows their plan the Irish response needs to mirror it or it will get very messy for them. Can you imagine a situation where bars and restaurants and sports events are open up North and not down South. Utter chaos will ensue.

Boris has pulled a rabbit out of a hat tonight and if this plan goes smoothly enough Keir Starmer may as well quit as Boris will walk back into Number 10 in 2024.

Time will tell of course but my fingers are crossed for Bojo and his grand plan. He may have just killed off NPHET, McDonkey and the mongers of doom in RTE and Newstalk and when they all toddle off it won't be a minute too soon.

Goodnight all, tomorrow we start the recovery process, mentally in a different place tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    or the M1 is gonna be chockers.......
    And the R238 and the N14...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Parachutes wrote: »
    I see Britain has had a reality flash. Let's hope 'irreversible' actually means 'irreversible' !
    These criminals are untrustworthy. Unfortunately I can have no faith in their pronouncements and fully expect further totalitarian and Treasonous diktats. May the punishment of these restrictors be severe and brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I would love for BoJo ambitious plan to work out, i really would. I'd probably travel to England a lot more and if Northern Ireland had the same scenario would consider renting up there for a while if WFH continued to be an option

I'm worried this all seems to familar. I've seen England have an ambitious plan before and be thinking it'll be mad they will have a few thousand at sporting events and we wont even have the changing rooms open. It never really materialised though.

Maybe this time the plan is based on solid data and scentific(not qualified to draw conclusions on it) but genuinely worried that it will not work and the dissapointment will have very negative impacts on people's mental health. We already have enough threats to our mental health from the irish govt\NPHET, lets not get too involved in what BoJo does

It sounds very like herd immunity 2.0 from Boris. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out. It's very easy to say open up and let people die but it's a different story when the deaths actually happen.
    If they have enough people vaccinated by June it has a good chance of succeeding and giving us a sign that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

aido79 wrote: »
    It sounds very like herd immunity 2.0 from Boris. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out. It's very easy to say open up and let people die but it's a different story when the deaths actually happen.
    If they have enough people vaccinated by June it has a good chance of succeeding and giving us a sign that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Remember it’s not about avoiding COVID deaths through restrictions. The only aim of restrictions is to avoid excess deaths caused by the collapse of the NHS. This is a much different scenario than their early (and quickly rolled back, unfortunately) herd immunity strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

beauf wrote: »

Do you mean that they didn't act like we are acting because they didn't know much about the virus and its risks?
    Forgive me, but your sentence was a bit incomprehensible to me, I'm not mother language, so it's merely my fault, I apologize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

It's jarring to read Boris's statement. Jarring in a good way.

It reminds me of the story the emperor has no clothes.

I've been looking at CSO statistics that show very little risk to under 45s in Ireland and reading stuff from people terrified to send their children to school.

It's great to see something that aligns with a reality I understand. Like a bucket of cold water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Chomper.

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    It's jarring to read Boris's statement. Jarring in a good way.

It reminds me of the story the emperor has no clothes.

I've been looking at CSO statistics that show very little risk to under 45s in Ireland and reading stuff from people terrified to send their children to school.

It's great to see something that aligns with a reality I understand. Like a bucket of cold water.

BJ has shaken things up

It needed doing badly

I thank him for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

So why hasnt M Martin said so?

Not so easy you see.

I see that 1 more person died with positive PCR test yesterday.

2 people in 2 days.

Daily cases are minuscule for a nation of 4.9m for weeks now.

And these muppets are about to announce extension to lockdown? is this for real?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭iagreebut

There's going to be no more, gatherings, laughter, warm sand in your feet,kids birthday parties, breakfast at your favourite café, meeting your friends for hikes, heading out with the girls, night's out with the lads, flirting , queuing up to get on a plane, standing in a bar chinking glasses, because unless there's zero covid according to our overlord's...

Anyhow there was too much togetherness in the past, spreading disease's, breathing on top of each other.
    Party's are big super spreaders.
    So from here on out, we're going to have to adapt to the new normal, because the senior civil servants and a lot of the population are happy with the way all this has panned out.
    You can thank the media and propaganda news programs for all this and of course we're all in this together.

Welcome to the new normal, there's no end in sight..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Once you have over 50s vaccinated and all at other risks groups under 50 vaccinated you should be able to open up.

If there is still huge numbers needing hospitalisation it just simply means the vaccinations aren't worth a ****.

Remember it’s not about avoiding COVID deaths through restrictions. The only aim of restrictions is to avoid excess deaths caused by the collapse of the NHS. This is a much different scenario than their early (and quickly rolled back, unfortunately) herd immunity strategy.

That's true. As long as the NHS doesn't collapse most healthy people have a good chance of avoiding the worst effects of covid. If hospitals are overrun people die unnecessarily and not just as a result of covid.

So why hasnt M Martin said so?

Not so easy you see.

What would Micheal Martin announce that the country is going to open up before a sufficient number of people are vaccinated? The reason Boris is talking about opening up is because of the level of vaccinated that is predicted by the summer in England.

Once you have over 50s vaccinated and all at other risks groups under 50 vaccinated you should be able to open up.

If there is still huge numbers needing hospitalisation it just simply means the vaccinations aren't worth a ****.

Or that some of the newer strains are resistant to the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

I see that 1 more person died with positive PCR test yesterday.

2 people in 2 days.

Daily cases are minuscule for a nation of 4.9m for weeks now.

And these muppets are about to announce extension to lockdown? is this for real?

There's still over 50% of ICU capacity taken up by Covid patients and we are still trying to return to normal care. The vulnerable are still months away from being vaccinated and the last time we opened up with less cases than we have now, we exploded to 6000 cases a day, putting us in this mess. Extending lockdown until April, is the only decision they can make at the moment.

What would Micheal Martin announce that the country is going to open up before a sufficient number of people are vaccinated? The reason Boris is talking about opening up is because of the level of vaccinated that is predicted by the summer in England.

So if no one or 1 person a day dies with covid for the next 4 weeks you would expect us to be in level 5 to May because our vaccine efforts arent up to scratch?

There's still over 50% of ICU capacity taken up by Covid patients and we are still trying to return to normal care. The vulnerable are still months away from being vaccinated and the last time we opened up with less cases than we have now, we exploded to 6000 cases a day, putting us in this mess. Extending lockdown until April, is the only decision they can make at the moment.

240,000 + are already vaccinated and counting. Approx 100k set to be vaccinated per week, until increase to 250k.

Cases are falling. Deaths are non existent.

2 people died with positive PCR test in 2 days now. We are a country of 4,900,000. Given that 2020 had less deaths than 2019, are you actually not embarrassed to still be pushing this "all we can do is stay in lockdown for next few months" agenda? You gonna hit me with "we are all in this together" next? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

This is the bit that made me go wow.

"No vaccine can ever be 100% effective”, telling MPs: “So, as the modelling released by Sage today shows, we cannot escape the fact that lifting lockdown will result in more cases, more hospitalisations and sadly more deaths.

"There is therefore no credible route to a zero Covid Britain, or indeed, a zero Covid world and we cannot persist indefinitely with restrictions that debilitate our economy, our physical and mental wellbeing and the life chances of our children."

Finally an acknowledgement that people die and zero covid19 is now s non runner. In 4 months in the UK, the covid19 pro lockdown WFH and COVID19 payment crowd will be on the way out.

When I was growing up the priest who went to the leper colony in Sicily was a hero. In our current reality, people who stay inside, don't help neighbours or visit their elderly parents are heroes. The sooner we leave that behind the better given the actual statistics and vaccine rollout.

So if no one or 1 person a day dies with covid for the next 4 weeks you would expect us to be in level 5 to May because our vaccine efforts arent up to scratch?

How many deaths will there be if we exit level 5 before then? Would you agree that the low level of deaths would be due to the country being in level 5 lockdown are do you think the deaths would not change much at all if we weren't in level 5 lockdown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I would love for BoJo ambitious plan to work out, i really would. I'd probably travel to England a lot more and if Northern Ireland had the same scenario would consider renting up there for a while if WFH continued to be an option

Who says you'll be allowed? Our government's secret weapon is the 5km rule. That's what's keeping people away from the airport without banning travel. And that's what they'll use to keep people away from the border without actually closing it.

How many deaths will there be if we exit level 5 before then? Would you agree that the low level of deaths would be due to the country being in level 5 lockdown are do you think the deaths would not change much at all if we weren't in level 5 lockdown?

You havent answered my question.

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    This is the bit that made me go wow.

"No vaccine can ever be 100% effective”, telling MPs: “So, as the modelling released by Sage today shows, we cannot escape the fact that lifting lockdown will result in more cases, more hospitalisations and sadly more deaths.

"There is therefore no credible route to a zero Covid Britain, or indeed, a zero Covid world and we cannot persist indefinitely with restrictions that debilitate our economy, our physical and mental wellbeing and the life chances of our children."

Finally an acknowledgement that people die and zero covid19 is bollox. In 4 months in the UK, the covid19 pro lockdown WFH and COVID19 payment crowd will be on the way out.

We I was growing up the priest who went to the leper colony in Sicily was a hero. In our current reality, people who stay inside, don't help neighbours or visit their elderly parents are heroes. The sooner we leave that behind the better.

Yesterday was a big news day

The acknowledgement that life goes on and some people will die of covid

UK to end restrictions in 4 months

Thank God we live next to the UK right now

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

240,000 + are already vaccinated and counting. Approx 100k set to be vaccinated per week, until increase to 250k.

Cases are falling. Deaths are non existent.

2 people died with positive PCR test in 2 days now. We are a country of 4,900,000. Given that 2020 had less deaths than 2019, are you actually not embarrassed to still be pushing this "all we can do is stay in lockdown for next few months" agenda? You gonna hit me with "we are all in this together" next? :pac:

And why do you think we had less deaths than 2019 and a country like Sweden had their most excess deaths in 100 years? Might it have something to do with the restrictions maybe!!???

I've always been reticent to say somebody doesn't care about people dying, but from your posts, I think you might be the exception.

People will be dieing from Covid and ending up in hospital for many years to come probably indefinitely. Just like the flu....and no I am not saying Covid is the flu so please save yourself the hassle of that reply.

What Boris and the UK government have done is grow up and understand this fact and accept we ain't doing a zero covid because it is totally impractical.

The statements yesterday made in the UK made it clear that as long as Covid deaths and hospitalisations stay within the bounds of what is accepted as okay for flu and pneumonia etc etc we just get on with life. The reality is the most vulnerable people to flu and various respiratory viruses are also the most prone to Covid so it will be the same cohort getting hit every winter. In time I suspect Covid will just join the seasonal respiratory disease mix and the death toll each winter probably will stay within historic boundaries. We may have an extra jab to run alongside the seasonal flu jab.

Forget what has gone on as we can't change that, the test now for the Irish government is to sideline the lockdown agenda in Ireland and sideline the McDonkey's and NPHET, lamp into a revised vaccination strategy which prioritises first doses to as many people as quickly as possible. Forget the AZ vaccine bias and use it for everyone. 12 week gaps for the booster dose is fine.

They have to now get as close to the UK timeline as possible as it is untenable to have the North going on holliers to Greece from June on with pubs open and no legal restrictions with Holohan still ruling the roost down here.

They have about 100-120 days now to get this sorted and must also make the mindset jump and tell people Covid ain't going anywhere but we will get it down to a very modest level in terms of hospitalizations and deaths.

In short time to grow a pair and grow up.

Of course the Tories are not doing all this for the benefit of the working class

They want people back working and voting Tory, making money for the rich

At this point in time I'll take all that over what we have here

If Mehole and Verruca had half a brain they would be straight onto Boris to see can we get a couple of million AZ doses so we can catch up with the UK rapid.

Why because the UK won't want Ireland (and the shared border) to be way behind on vaccinations as they know it will be mixing two populations with differing levels of vaccine immunity.

Forget the past and the optics and just do what is best for the Irish people. If the EU take the hump so what.......

I think the UK would bite on this....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Chomper. wrote: »
    Of course try Tories are not doing all this for the benefit of the working class

They want people back working and voting Tory,doing money for the rich

At this point in time I'll take all that over what we have here
    We certainly don't want people working. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭hynesie08

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    If Mehole and Verruca had half a brain they would be straight onto Boris to see can we get a couple of million AZ doses so we can catch up with the UK rapid.

Why because the UK won't want Ireland (and the shared border) to be way behind on vaccinations as they know it will be mixing two populations with differing levels of vaccine immunity.

Forget the past and the optics and just do what is best for the Irish people. If the EU take the hump so what.......

I think the UK would bite on this....

If the UK had a few million doses, do you not think they might want to y'know........ Prioritise their citizens?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭iagreebut

We should remain forever vigilant, and when this covid thing is over, we need to keep our distance and stay safe.
    It's imperative for the vunerable, zero tolerance for enjoyment, festivals and events, do not at any junction underestimate the danger's of mixing with family, friend's and work colleagues.

When you're allowed to travel country in future you should have to book your ticket to go from Kerry to Limerick,a nominal fee of maybe 80 Euro should be sufficient.
    And some sort of passport for different colour zone's, so depending on your risk management and whether you're high low medium , there should be a fee too for these passports and they should be chipped and connected to your car, so if you cross the line and have the wrong passport your car will be imobilised and you'll be charged a tax to get it mobilised.

There's a killing to be made now, and the senior civil servants should be able to give themselves good bonuses, and they deserve it.

I think they're doing a great job keeping us all safe from each other.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement