Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

Our seven day average is much higher than 27 deaths as, you know, covid isnt the only "cause" of death. Cause is a strong word lol.

Reality is less people died in Ireland in 2020 than in 2019. Despite all those THOUSANDS of daily deaths from March, April 2020.

You've been spooked. It will take many months, maybe years to reverse the damage but trust me this is a very mild illness, no need to go into "people are dying" hysteria. People have been dying well before covid-19.

These are just facts. I am very sorry covid isnt this killer virus that newspapers make it out to be, and no Brazil variant does not have 10% mortality. :rolleyes:

"It will take many months, maybe years to reverse the damage."

"These are just facts."

I keep thinking you are some type of performance artist, but I get the feeling you are actually for real. Funny how its those spewing total and utter BS are the most certain of their views.

iagreebut wrote: »
    There's going to be no more, gatherings, laughter, warm sand in your feet,kids birthday parties, breakfast at your favourite café, meeting your friends for hikes, heading out with the girls, night's out with the lads, flirting , queuing up to get on a plane, standing in a bar chinking glasses, because unless there's zero covid according to our overlord's...

Anyhow there was too much togetherness in the past, spreading disease's, breathing on top of each other.
    Party's are big super spreaders.
    So from here on out, we're going to have to adapt to the new normal, because the senior civil servants and a lot of the population are happy with the way all this has panned out.
    You can thank the media and propaganda news programs for all this and of course we're all in this together.

Welcome to the new normal, there's no end in sight..

Jaysis
    Could you be any more depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

There's going to be no more, gatherings, laughter, warm sand in your feet,kids birthday parties, breakfast at your favourite café, meeting your friends for hikes, heading out with the girls, night's out with the lads, flirting , queuing up to get on a plane, standing in a bar chinking glasses, because unless there's zero covid according to our overlord's...

Welcome to the new normal, there's no end in sight..

That may hold true if we're in an ISIS caliphate, but we're going to be doing all that in Ireland relatively soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Who cares about deaths per million. Everywhere on earth that hasn't been gripped by war has seen deaths per million going down for the last century. It's a chimp brained point, used to obscure the fact that the very best case scenario for a country with limited covid restrictions (Sweden), still resulted in the highest excess deaths figure in over a century.

What is pathetic is people looking at Ireland's yearly death rate going down for 2020 and saying that's a bad thing.

Okay.

:rolleyes:

aido79 wrote: »
    The aim has been to get to under 100 cases per day. We're still a long way off that. I have no reason to suggest a different level of case numbers to exit level 5 as I really don't class myself as an expert in virus transmission. Do you have experience or a background in virus transmission? If so maybe you can tells us what the case numbers and R number needs to be to get to level 3 or 4.

Why was it fine in March 2020 but not fine now. What has changed?

The vaccine rollout was always going to be slow but the plan is to vaccinate 1 million per month in April, May and June so there'll be over 3 million people vaccinated by the end of June.
    Can you take anything positive from that or do you just look at everything negatively?

The government's first priority in opening up has always been to get the schools opened up. If they were to open up the schools, retail, barbers, construction etc all at the same time and cases rise how are they to know what specifically caused the cases to rise?
    It makes more sense to one slowly and watch how the number of cases change in relation to each sector that opens. That reduces the need for further level 5 lockdowns and means targeted lockdowns can be used to close down specific sectors which are responsible for cases to rise.

The aim of 100 cases per day - aim for what? To go into level 1? 2 ? 3 ?

2nd part in bold is just nonsense. We have virologists and epidemologists in the government on 6 digit salary with guaranteed pensions. They so far havent said how many cases needed for which level. And you come up with "are you an expert?" question? is this a joke?

3rd in bold - it was fine in March 2020 because, I ll give plenty of people benefit of the doubt, not much was known. Not much PPE was in stock. No vaccines were going. Whats different now? well - we know a lot about covid, who it targets, what its real mortality levels are, we have vaccines, we have hundred of thousands of people in the country who already had covid and have antibodies - list goes on and on and on.

I look at things extremely positive - Like I said, 240,000 vaccinated already, 10k per day getting vaccinated now soon to go to 25k per day. Can you please tell me why we need to be in level 5 in March, let alone May?? Do we need millions vaccinated to let Anto re open his barber shop? Are we really that stupid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

bubblypop wrote: »
    Jaysis

I think he’s been sarcastic and taking the piss :pac:. Of course i coud be wrong :o

All the data showa that the vaccine are working brilliantly.

Just seen a report on the BBC saying care home deaths have fallen dramatically.

Also in Israel it wotking brilliantly.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-says-vaccine-dramatically-effective-prevents-98-9-of-covid-deaths/

The only thing holding us back os supply.

Yep. And we have vaccinated 240,000 people already. 10k per day getting their vaccines. Soon to be 25k per day.

Yet we still have enthusiasts here posting "but remember what happened when we last came out of lockdown??" ...

Britain's coronavirus lockdown is one of the toughest in the WORLD with Ireland the only stricter Western nation, study reveals

University of Oxford experts ranked the pandemic responses of 180 countries based on how strict rules are
    Only Ireland had tougher restrictions than the UK in Europe, the index revealed – it has stopped construction

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9290029/Britains-coronavirus-lockdown-one-toughest-WORLD-study-claims.html

Absolutely embarrassing. Seriously what in the gods name is going on here... Ireland with the YOUNGEST average population, has the STRICTEST lockdown in EU. Pathetic.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭iagreebut

I think there are some further measures we can take to make sure we catch the rule breakers and achieve zero covid.

Children who test positive for covid should have their medical status shared with all the local schools and gaa clubs, so if they dont isolate their school or club will know and can call the gards.

It's a bit trickier with adults but one solution would be to create a public database where everyones medical records are uploaded and available to all - so their employers or neighbours can check and make sure they arent positive and not isolating.

Fax medical records to the airport daily too, in case any try to leave the country for tenerife, the scamps (but continue to have no inward controls)

Personally giving up all rights to privacy over your medical records is a very small price to pay to catch the rule breakers - and who else would object to having their medical records shared publically but covid positive people or their close contacts who were planning not to self isolate properly?

I heard of a few lads who have been to the Canary Islands over the Christmas, they have pictures up on social media and I'm wondering if they paid the fine over January for being out of the country.
    I have a good mind to screen shot their photo's and send them to the guards.
    While the rest of us are behaving ourselves and doing as we're told these selfish idiot's are bringing in variants of viruses and are walking disease spreaders, who's to know they aren't superspreaders.

If the guard's get up more road blocks, and even if you're going shopping just take your details smack a fine on them, and zero tollerence.

I know that shopping in local villages can be more expensive, but it's good to shop local and stay safe in your own village or rural place.

I've no problems with my medical records being public and giving the system access for the greater good, there's a lot of people who are sneaking outside of the boundaries and we have to put a stop to that.

Anyone caught hitching should be questioned too, why haven't they a car, and what are they hitching for.. straight into the patrol car and cuffed, because it's very suspicious looking to be hitch hiking during a world wide pandemic.

Another year of this is the best approach, and more refugee's and people escaping war torn countries should be left in, because they'll get proper care here.
    I hear in some of those refugee camps the covid is rampant., we could isolate them here for two weeks, because all the hotels are empty,we could bring in thousands, now's the time to do it.
    And I know a lot of my Liberal friend's are willing to put a refugee up in their homes, free of charge, it's the right thing to do.
    And bring back those people who went to Brazil only to be visiting their families, and they are not able to get back to Ireland.
    My friend Andrews boyfriend Carlos got caught trying to come back to Ireland and supposedly sent back to Brazil, I'm outraged over that and it's not fair.

I think we need big changes in the country and less conservatives and more Liberals and left leaning people.
    The Liberals want to keep us all safe and those conservatives want to open up everything and go about our business.
    And that's what happened at Christmas time,sheer greed, people wanting to go shopping and out with friends and colleagues, thinking of themselves and their pocket's, looking good, having a few bevies and getting that feeling of togetherness and conviviality...

There's smartphones and laptops for that, and why couldn't they just stay at home and do facetime etc

We can shop from home, chat with anyone in the world from the Palm of our hand's.
    And another thing we're looking after the environment by not driving around the country side,up mountains and to headland's and beaches.
    No rubbish or cans rolling around the promenades on Sundays.

Wouldn't it be a great idea to have timed lockdowns every year,so that we can give nature a break..I think we're onto to something here.

And music festivals are a haven for disease's, breathing on top of each other hugging each other and snogging strangers, looking back I don't think any right to thinking person would ever want to go to Body and Soul ever again or electronic music festival.

All this can be done from home now, no burning fuel in cars, massive traffic jams or ques upon ques of people spluttering and in each others faces.

The new normal is liveable and in time we can get used to it, maybe they could organise bus trips to the coast for fresh air and like the olden days we'd get to the beach once a year.
    After all our grandparents hadn't those privelages, why should we ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

The aim of 100 cases per day - aim for what? To go into level 1? 2 ? 3 ?

2nd part in bold is just nonsense. We have virologists and epidemologists in the government on 6 digit salary with guaranteed pensions. They so far havent said how many cases needed for which level. And you come up with "are you an expert?" question? is this a joke?

3rd in bold - it was fine in March 2020 because, I ll give plenty of people benefit of the doubt, not much was known. Not much PPE was in stock. No vaccines were going. Whats different now? well - we know a lot about covid, who it targets, what its real mortality levels are, we have vaccines, we have hundred of thousands of people in the country who already had covid and have antibodies - list goes on and on and on.

I look at things extremely positive - Like I said, 240,000 vaccinated already, 10k per day getting vaccinated now soon to go to 25k per day. Can you please tell me why we need to be in level 5 in March, let alone May?? Do we need millions vaccinated to let Anto re open his barber shop? Are we really that stupid?

Maybe you should apply for one of those jobs with 6 digit salaries and pensions since you seem to know more than them about the right time to open everything up.

We knew all of those things at Christmas that we didn't know last March and look what happened.

What do you think would happen if we dropped down to level 4 or level 3 tomorrow?
    The barber shop itself isn't the problem. It's people moving and the possibility of them spreading the virus that's the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Britain's coronavirus lockdown is one of the toughest in the WORLD with Ireland the only stricter Western nation, study reveals

University of Oxford experts ranked the pandemic responses of 180 countries based on how strict rules are
    Only Ireland had tougher restrictions than the UK in Europe, the index revealed – it has stopped construction

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9290029/Britains-coronavirus-lockdown-one-toughest-WORLD-study-claims.html

Absolutely embarrassing. Seriously what in the gods name is going on here... Ireland with the YOUNGEST average population, has the STRICTEST lockdown in EU. Pathetic.

The construction industry were supposed to return when cases reached levels of less than 1000 per day. The Taoiseach himself said that: https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40217615.html The last time there were over 1000 cases was about 11 days ago.

Construction companies are bleeding cash at a rate of knots. Construction workers are now either doing nixers to try to pay mortgages and put food on the table or fleeing the country because they are in high demand overseas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭plodder

It will depend on how many people and from what groups have been vaccinated, and how long it's been since their first dose.

Considering the evidence we have so far, that the vaccines stop both virus severity and it's ability to spread, the most likely outcome is that we will see all of these metrics start going down at the same time. At that point it will become clear that it is safe to start reopening the economy.
    Yes, the metrics are linked to some extent, but it's better surely to measure the ones that matter the most. If we really are aiming for 100 cases per day, and aren't there yet, but new hospitalisations have dropped to almost nothing, then questions will be asked, to put it mildly.

‘Why do you sit out here all alone?’ said Alice…..
    ‘Why, because there’s nobody with me!’ cried Humpty Dumpty.‘Did you think I didn’t know the answer to that?’

aido79 wrote: »
    Maybe you should apply for one of those jobs with 6 digit salaries and pensions since you seem to know more than them about the right time to open everything up.

We knew all of those things at Christmas that we didn't know last March and look what happened.

What do you think would happen if we dropped down to level 4 or level 3 tomorrow?
    The barber shop itself isn't the problem. It's people moving and the possibility of them spreading the virus that's the problem.

100 cases per day achieves the aim of what? what happens when theres 100 cases a day?

Its a serious question. You have 4,900,000 in level 5 lockdown, surely there must be some sort of exact answer to this question?

PS why 100 cases a day? What if we get all over 65s vaccinated before cases are 100 a day, will we still stay in level 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SilentGreenx32

I heard of a few lads who have been to the Canary Islands over the Christmas, they have pictures up on social media and I'm wondering if they paid the fine over January for being out of the country.
    While the rest of us are behaving ourselves and doing as we're told these selfish idiot's are bringing in variants of viruses and are walking disease spreaders, who's to know they aren't superspreaders.

If the guard's get up more road blocks, and even if you're going shopping just take your details smack a fine on them, and zero tollerence.

I know that shopping in local villages can be more expensive, but it's good to shop local and stay safe in your own village or rural place.

I've no problems with my medical records being public and giving the system access for the greater good, there's a lot of people who are sneaking outside of the boundaries and we have to put a stop to that.

Anyone caught hitching should be questioned too, why haven't they a car, and what are they hitching for.. straight into the patrol car and cuffed, because it's very suspicious looking to be hitch hiking during a world wide pandemic.

Another year of this is the best approach, and more refugee's and people escaping war torn countries should be left in, because they'll get proper care here.
    I hear in some of those refugee camps the covid is rampant., we could isolate them here for two weeks, because all the hotels are empty,we could bring in thousands, now's the time to do it.
    And I know a lot of my Liberal friend's are willing to put a refugee up in their homes, free of charge, it's the right thing to do.
    And bring back those people who went to Brazil only to be visiting their families, and they are not able to get back to Ireland.
    My friend Andrews boyfriend Carlos got caught trying to come back to Ireland and supposedly sent back to Brazil, I'm outraged over that and it's not fair.

I think we need big changes in the country and less conservatives and more Liberals and left leaning people.
    The Liberals want to keep us all safe and those conservatives want to open up everything and go about our business.
    And that's what happened at Christmas time,sheer greed, people wanting to go shopping and out with friends and colleagues, thinking of themselves and their pocket's, looking good, having a few bevies and getting that feeling of togetherness and conviviality...

There's smartphones and laptops for that, and why couldn't they just stay at home and do facetime etc

We can shop from home, chat with anyone in the world from the Palm of our hand's.
    And another thing we're looking after the environment by not driving around the country side,up mountains and to headland's and beaches.

Wouldn't it be a great idea to have timed lockdowns every year,so that we can give nature a break..I think we're onto to something here.

And music festivals are a haven for disease's, breathing on top of each other hugging each other and snogging strangers, looking back I don't think any right to thinking person would ever want to go to Body and Soul ever again or electronic music festival.

All this can be done from home now, no burning fuel in cars, massive traffic jams or ques upon ques of people spluttering and in each others faces.

The new normal is liveable and in time we can get used to it, maybe they could organise bus trips to the coast for fresh air and like the olden days we'd get to the beach once a year.

Are you for real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Chomper. wrote: »
    Yesterday was a big news day

The acknowledgement that life goes on and some people will die of covid

UK to end restrictions in 4 months

Thank God we live next to the UK right now

Just to say, I have parents and elderly and vulnerable people whom I love and do not wish to see come to harm.

However, shutting schools, sports and recreation for children is a big tradeoff. The CSO stats seem to show very little risk to under 45. Shutting down everything to protect the 20% that might be vulnerable at the cost of the next generation does not seem like a great idea.

I'm not in anyway qualified in qualified in public health so what I say probably doesn't count for anything but I think the approach seems excessive and the lessons currently being passed to children AND vulnerable children within that cohort are bonkers.

Also BJ and conservatives. I was surprised living in the UK. Labour seems to represent the politically correct culture warriors, it's crazy, they seem to have abandoned their core base in favour of middle class academics. I don't hate BoJo like a lot in Ireland. I've said, not saying I like him.... but I don't hate him.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭iagreebut

[PHP][/PHP]
    bubblypop wrote: »
    Jaysis

No I'm happy to be doing my part and staying safe, it would be even more depressing if more people started getting sick from covid.

We have to make sacrifices for the greater good, we have senior professionals and politicians telling us what's right for everyone, they're not in those jobs because they don't know what they're doing.
    They're professionals and they do care about us.

It's the people who want to open up everything who are depressing, I know that it's hard going for some.
    But hang on in there.

This could be a great time to find new interest's like sculpture, you could learn how to play a guitar or do anything from home.
    Saying sculpture, I'm sure you could buy all the materials on Amazon, I have bought a leather craft set, and scraps of leather by the kilo on Amazon and I'm having great fun getting to learn about different ways to cut material etc
    I'm thinking of making a load of shamrocks for St Patrick's Day and sending them for luck.

Now's the time to get creative with your inner self, by the way you should always have the news on in the background for updates about covid and restrictions especially RTE because they are the best for news, unlike that Sky news Australia...
    Stick with your national broadcasting corporation, and please don't listen to Sky news Australia...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/covid-19-in-ireland-lockdown-rules-must-stay-until-waiting-lists-fall-says-nphet-76pvt0m7r

So keep lockdown to reduce waiting list, that are by and large caused by lockdowns!!!!!

So never mind COVID, lockdown to reduce waiting lists.

And people here are thinking look we will open up with vaccinations, a few weeks behind the uk etc etc.

I genuinely dont have access to the article, was this covered anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Are you for real?

Think he/she is bored and having a bit of an old troll.......quite amusing really. But perhaps it should be on the comedy forum !!:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

So subtle its brilliant, there's lockdown fanatics just itching to thank.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

A brave stand made in Balbriggan. More please!

https://www.newstalk.com/news/dublin-beauty-salon-lockdown-1154716

"Owner Christine McTiernan told Newstalk’s Kacey O’Riordan this morning that she simply can’t survive much longer without earning a living.

“I am taking a stand on my behalf,” she said.

“This is for me. I have to do what I have to do to pay my bills and that is what is important to me.

“I have to put food on the table. I have to pay my rent. All my bills have to be paid.

“What is happening does not stop my bills from m coming so I have to pay them. So yes, it is purely for survival I am doing this.”

• Advertisement

[PHP][/PHP]

No I'm happy to be doing my part and staying safe, it would be even more depressing if more people started getting sick from covid.

We have to make sacrifices for the greater good, we have senior professionals and politicians telling us what's right for everyone, they're not in those jobs because they don't know what they're doing.
    They're professionals and they do care about us.

It's the people who want to open up everything who are depressing, I know that it's hard going for some.
    But hang on in there.

This could be a great time to find new interest's like sculpture, you could learn how to play a guitar or do anything from home.
    Saying sculpture, I'm sure you could buy all the materials on Amazon, I have bought a leather craft set, and scraps of leather by the kilo on Amazon and I'm having great fun getting to learn about different ways to cut material etc
    I'm thinking of making a load of shamrocks for St Patrick's Day and sending them for luck.

Now's the time to get creative with your inner self, by the way you should always have the news on in the background for updates about covid and restrictions especially RTE because they are the best for news, unlike that Sky news Australia...
    Stick with your national broadcasting corporation, and please don't listen to Sky news Australia...

Johnny enjoys working and socialising, and he wants to pay his mortgage and provide for his children. Telling Johnny to start a ****ing scrapbook and wear a leprechaun hat is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Are you for real?

It’s a pisstake, a Paddygreen reincarnation? even if it’s not a pisstake it’s so rediculous it actually made me laugh :D

A brave stand made in Balbriggan. More please!

https://www.newstalk.com/news/dublin-beauty-salon-lockdown-1154716

"Owner Christine McTiernan told Newstalk’s Kacey O’Riordan this morning that she simply can’t survive much longer without earning a living.

“I am taking a stand on my behalf,” she said.

“This is for me. I have to do what I have to do to pay my bills and that is what is important to me.

“I have to put food on the table. I have to pay my rent. All my bills have to be paid.

“What is happening does not stop my bills from m coming so I have to pay them. So yes, it is purely for survival I am doing this.”

I remember there was a poster here recently who couldnt foresee any protests in Ireland.

I personally could never foresee any businesses in Ireland giving 2 fingers to spineless useless govt officials and re-opening by themselves.

Yet here we are.

I hope more follow her. This is, as I said before, is getting extremely desperate.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    It’s a pisstake, a Paddygreen reincarnation? even if it’s not a pisstake it’s so rediculous it actually made me laugh :D

Paddygreen <3<3<3

The stuff he came out with had me rolling on d floor.

I remember there was a poster here recently who couldnt foresee any protests in Ireland.

I personally could never foresee any businesses in Ireland giving 2 fingers to spineless useless govt officials and re-opening by themselves.

Yet here we are.

I hope more follow her. This is, as I said before, is getting extremely desperate.

Open up, keep the head down, and forward any fines to your local TD. They can well afford to pay it for you from their salary increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SilentGreenx32

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Think he/she is bored and having a bit of an old troll.......quite amusing really. But perhaps it should be on the comedy forum !!:):)

It was so on the nose but I just wasn't sure :D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Micky 32 wrote: »

Or is the newly registered 'Silentgreenx32', annoyed that someone is trying to take 'paddygreen's crown?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Gript can reveal that members of the Zero-Covid advocacy group ISAG have recently been instructed to “look for ways to increase insecurity, anxiety, and uncertainty.”

The revelation comes from a trove of hundreds of emails, draft documents, and ISAG internal communications that were recently leaked to Gript.

https://gript.ie/look-for-ways-to-increase-insecurity-anxiety-and-uncertainty-zero-covid-document/

It was so on the nose but I just wasn't sure :D:P

Although with some of the nonsense coming out of the lockdown mob you never know......

• Advertisement

Gript can reveal that members of the Zero-Covid advocacy group ISAG have recently been instructed to “look for ways to increase insecurity, anxiety, and uncertainty.”

The revelation comes from a trove of hundreds of emails, draft documents, and ISAG internal communications that were recently leaked to Gript.

https://gript.ie/look-for-ways-to-increase-insecurity-anxiety-and-uncertainty-zero-covid-document/

The Irish media have been doing a pretty superb job of this since last March so not sure ISAG need to bother......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement