Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Who's they?

UK citizens.

They are right you know, they are soon at 50% of all adults vaccinated, what is this hanging around for a pint till April carry on.

"Going at snails pace. Actually thats an insult to snails" brilliant :D

How many live in Cork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭hynesie08

UK citizens.

UK citizens also thought brexit meant they could move Britain somewhere warmer. Scouse stevy on facebook isn't the most reliable source.
    They are right you know, they are soon at 50% of all adults vaccinated, what is this hanging around for a pint till April carry on.

This is patently untrue and well you know it.

hynesie08 wrote: »

UK citizens also thought brexit meant they could move Britain somewhere warmer. Scouse stevy on facebook isn't the most reliable source.

This is patently untrue and well you know it.

Do you want to give a % of adults vaccinated in UK today and then approximately how many will be by April?

Or are you the fact checker from Journal.ie? :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

dalyboy wrote: »
    Ironically ISAG stands for Independent Scientific Advocacy Group

Independent (they’re so independent that they have someone unknown pulling their strings)

Scientific (basing all your goals on anti science or pseudoscience. Laughable)

Advocacy Group

Their website refers to vaccines, lockdowns, restricting movement etc. The same stuff as the government. How is that psuedo science, unless of course you think the same of the governments scientific advice?

• Advertisement

UK's plan isn't particular adventurous or ambitious based on how quickly they're vaccinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Do you want to give a % of adults vaccinated in UK today and then approximately how many will be by April?

Or are you the fact checker from Journal.ie? :pac:

35% of the adult population has received the first dose in the UK. Where did you get 50%? did you make it up or did you work it out?

In case anyone is interested in the actual numbers (ginger n Lemon's estimate is not reliable: There are c. 51m adults in the UK, c. 18m have had the first dose of the vaccine.

UK citizens.

"Going at snails pace. Actually thats an insult to snails" brilliant :D
    35% of the adult population has received the first dose in the UK. Where did you get 50%? did you make it up or did you work it out?

In case anyone is interested in the actual numbers (ginger n Lemon's estimate is not reliable: There are c. 51m adults in the UK, c. 18m have had the first dose of the vaccine.

I think you need to spend some time reading posts before jumping in prematurely.

Welcome to the thread, you done working for the day? Got stopped at checkpoints?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Their website refers to vaccines, lockdowns, restricting movement etc. The same stuff as the government. How is that psuedo science, unless of course you think the same of the governments scientific advice?

It’s 100% pseudoscience

They’re latest claptrap about “variants” being immune to vaccines for example is not backed up by what Israel (nor UK data) experienced with their vaccine effectiveness. They are ignoring data which is the opposite to what scientists should be doing or reporting.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭iagreebut

aido79 wrote: »
    We might not get to level 2 in May but restrictions will be eased from May onwards.

I don't know if that's a good idea, we'll have to clear all the backlogs in the waiting list first before we even go to level 5-

People are empathically dying to go out and get hammered, and party.

Imagine the chaos in Accident and Emergency and the backlog of appointments etc, we'll have a national emergency on our hands.

Banning alcohol and keeping the pub's closed is the only option, and when the backlog of hospital appointments are cleared then we can drink responsibly.
    Another thing is to keep a patrol on restaurants who could be flouting the rules.

Look I'd love to be sitting down in the canal bank cafe chewing on chicken Wings with the lads and ladies, sipping away on a refreshment, wearing some thread's I bought in Brown Thomas a few hours before.
    Then sauntering to the bar across the way and rub shoulders with my colleagues and friends.

Resistance is futile, and I'm adapting to the notion that those days are well behind me.
    We don't need to be stuck in a bar or upmarket café, I no longer need to meet my friends in Doolin or Dingle and stay in each others holiday homes for weekends.
    Drinking pints outside O'Donoghues or Dick Mack's,

I think whatever house is free, that some family who need a good home should avail of the good intentions of an achiever's generosity.
    Preferably families fleeing from war and famine or from the inner cities of Cork and Dublin..need to relocate to the West if Ireland.
    Like the old urban renewal scheme, relocating people from cities to the country side.
    And for a family suffering from crime or addiction easier to stop acting out and taking illegal substances in the west of Ireland because they're quite people and they are good honest hard working people.
    The fresh air is good too, and the local kid's and city kid's could mix together, socially distanced of course.

We're a charitable nation.

We have enough, we're all surviving on the 350 a week.
    Even the one's on part time week getting less than the 350 pup should be grateful for having somewhere to go to for a few days a week.

There's a lot of good things to come out of this, and I'm all for change...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Appointments don't go to A&E though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think you need to spend some time reading posts before jumping in prematurely.

Welcome to the thread, you done working for the day? Got stopped at checkpoints?

Apologies, I misread your post.

The Construction Industry Federation (CIF) has warned that people in the sector will take chances over work unless the Government gives a clear indication of when the construction sector can reopen.

According to Tom Parlon, CIF director general, frustration was “boiling over” in the sector, but he remained hopeful that “common sense will prevail”.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/covid-19-construction-body-warns-of-frustration-boiling-over-in-sector-1.4492761

Tom is in for a big disappointment :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

That doesnt make any sense.

Should restrictions not be eased as number of vaccinated people grows?

Every 3 weeks we should go into next level starting from Monday. so by 1st week of May we ll be in level 2.

I am sure death and destruction will not materialise if we go to level 4 on 21 March.

What makes you sosure deaths won't increase if we go to level 4 on 21st of March?

What you are saying makes no sense. Are saying once a portion of vulnerable people are vaccinated then it's safe to ease restrictions?
    How many people over 65 will have been vaccinated by next Monday?

What makes you sosure deaths won't increase if we go to level 4 on 21st of March?

What you are saying makes no sense. Are saying once a portion of vulnerable people are vaccinated then it's safe to ease restrictions?
    How many people over 65 will have been vaccinated by next Monday?

By 21st of March we should have 500,000 given first jab. or 600,000.

Is this fact alone not suggest that deaths will not increase?

I mean by 14th of April we should have over 1 million people with first jab, some with second jab.

If we go into level 3 on 14th of April, will deaths increase? They shouldnt.

Real question is - will we look after economy as well as our elderly anytime soon? Cus the gist I get from you is - elderly is our exclusive priority, while thats noble its quite foolish given that economy thats on its knees is unlikely to produce a well funded healthcare service that the elderly you are so looking after will want to avail of!

We need to find a balance, not pursue this 0 death 0 covid approach. As reality is - people died from flu last year and the year before and flu vaccine has been available...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

I mean by 14th of April we should have over 1 million people with first jab, some with second jab.

Real question is - will we look after economy as well as our elderly anytime soon? Cus the gist I get from you is - elderly is our exclusive priority, while thats noble its quite foolish given that economy thats on its knees is unlikely to produce a well funded healthcare service that the elderly you are so looking after will want to avail of!

We need to find a balance, not pursue this 0 death 0 covid approach. As reality is - people died from flu last year and the year before and flu vaccine has been available...

Don't people live forever once they don't get covid? Thought they did. Oh wait, ya, the health system, suppose we might need a bit of tax to keep that open.

JMNolan wrote: »
    Don't people live forever once they don't get covid? Thought they did. Oh wait, ya, the health system, suppose we might need a bit of tax to keep that open.

We are going to be in uncharted territory once budget 2022 is announced and HSE staff get either a paycut and or increase to pension levy. Clapping for our heroes back in April 2020 will seem like a twisted joke.

Why do people only concentrate on deaths when they talk about restrictions easing?
    Can you see that if the virus spreads and lots of old people get it and become seriously ill and require hospital treatment but none of them die it's still a problem because they are taking up lots of beds in hospitals?
    This turn means there are less beds, nurses and doctors available for younger patients and non covid related patients.
    How much worse will the economy be in May than it is now?

Why do people only concentrate on deaths when they talk about restrictions easing?
    Can you see that if the virus spreads and lots of old people get it and become seriously ill and require hospital treatment but none of them die it's still a problem because they are taking up lots of beds in hospitals?
    This turn means there are less beds, nurses and doctors available for younger patients and non covid related patients.

I am not sure if you are serious or not. You basically dont want any1 to have covid in case they become "sick" and occupy hospital beds?

Basically you want restrictions in place even if nobody is dying with covid?

Thats er, erm, I am speechless actually. please do answer the 2 questions above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The longer it goes on the more damage is done...the damage hasn't been suspended, small locally owned SME's and their employees are being flushed down the toilet with each passing week...this is carnage.

• Advertisement

The longer it goes on the more damage is done...the damage hasn't been suspended, small locally owned SME's and their employees are being flushed down the toilet with each passing week...this is carnage.

Economy will be much worse off in May.

A lot of business owners were looking forward to todays announcement for some sort of clarity and light at the end of the tunnel. All they ll get is an extension to level 5 lockdown.

How many will decide to close their doors tonight? Hundreds? More?

Now imagine extension is to May.... thousands may just wrap up. Can you blame them? ofcourse not. This is the worst country to currently own a business in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Jesus Christ that argument has been going for the bones of 9 months now, "sure what difference will another couple of weeks mean"

Couple of weeks later

"sure what difference will another couple of weeks mean"

Couple of weeks later

"sure the whole things ****ed now anyway, what difference will another couple of weeks mean"

We were always going to be lock down till April 5th, sure that was obvious.

I am not sure if you are serious or not. You basically dont want any1 to have covid in case they become "sick" and occupy hospital beds?

Basically you want restrictions in place even if nobody is dying with covid?

Thats er, erm, I am speechless actually. please do answer the 2 questions above.

I'm not sure what part you are struggling with to be honest. Do you need a little reminder about the reason for the restrictions. It's to protect the health service from getting overrun which is what would happen if there are an excess of covid patients in the hospitals whether they die or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

bubblypop wrote: »
    We were always going to be lock down till April 5th, sure that was obvious.

What year?

PPAP wrote: »
    If they are old and vulnerable they are going to get Covid and be sick anyway, vaccine's are not magic, alot of people are still going to get sick with them, we've to accept that's the risk of being an older human in 2021.Look at the nursing homes, still people dieing after getting vaccines and staff getting sick after being vaccinated, there will be much less sick and dieing with vaccine's, but plenty will still be sick and end up in hospital even if 100% of country is vaccinated.

If the vaccines are 95% efficacous, 250,000 people can still get Covid and if 5% of that 250,000 need hospital treatment, that's 12,500 in hospital and if 10% of those hospitalised die that 1,250 deaths

People need to realise alot of people are still going to end up in hospital, alot are still going to die, covid is not going away, even even with vaccine's, get used to it

Restrictions are not to protect people.
    They are to protect the health service

What year?

Hopefully this one!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Paddygreen <3<3<3

The stuff he came out with had me rolling on d floor.

Nope. That would be you with your hilarious BS. I see your latest ban from the relaxations thread (Is that 2 or 3 bans now? It`s tricky to keep up with them) from the relaxations thread hasn`t taught you anything.

What a sad sad upsetting day. Its even more sad given yesterdays good news announcement from the UK.

I am truly embarrassed for this nanny state government, I never thought politicians could sink so low.

And to think that there are individuals out there who think that 20% + unemployment for 9 out of last 11 months is fine and can continue to May this year is absolutely beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I'm not sure what part you are struggling with to be honest. Do you need a little reminder about the reason for the restrictions. It's to protect the health service from getting overrun which is what would happen if there are an excess of covid patients in the hospitals whether they die or not.

We are heading to numbers in the region of 400 Covid patients in a health system with 11,000 beds....many of whom will have got the virus in hospital, doesn't sound like it'll be overrun anytime soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement