Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

If they try a lockdown this winter they can duck right off. This one now is their last as far as myself and many others will comply with.

MM has said tonight once we open up this time we must stay open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

The 5k rule is a complete farce. My colleagues across Europe are flabbergasted at us having such a rule so I've started to break it so I can go on longer cycles to the coastline and stuff. Gave me a great sense of freedom. I'm not stopping off anywhere outside the 5k so I don't see how it makes any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭appledrop

racso1975 wrote: »
    And only a fool brings it out in a level 5 storm

Yes but thankfully a storm doesn't last for nearly a full year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Another video from Brazil from two days ago in case we forget what normal was like. 28 minutes.

If it ends, this is how it will end. People going to other countries and coming back and not putting up with restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭JPup

Chomper. wrote: »
    Seems to be air of doom and gloom back among the public

It's like people recovered from a knockdown with the UK good news yesterday

Only to be knocked down again today

The UK timeline is very similar to our own though?! Schools gradually open in March, cautious wider relaxing of rules in April and into May. Let’s wait and see, but I don’t think there will be that much difference in the approaches taken over the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

Why are restrictions being enforced? Because people won't care about them if they were only guidance or recommendations. Once the legal basis for compliance falls away, people will be out there mobbing the shops, pubs, gyms, cafes, restaurants, each other's homes, airports, museums, hotels etc. The countdown is on!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

A reminder that this is not the place for conspiracy type posts. 'They' and 'their plans' can be discussed here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

iagreebut wrote: »
    I know where you're coming from, but unfortunately we have to rise above the sadness.
    We're resilient and we're living in a modern world with advancement of medical science.

The logistics of getting everyone vaccinated will be hard going, between procurement and administrative costs and the people administrating the vaccine etc takes time.

I know I'm all for lockdowns until this thing goes away, but it will go away and in a year or two we'll be able to open up again and carry on as much as before, but it'll be a new normal.

I'm worried about refugees and asylum seekers because they're suffering more than us, and the sooner we get them settled here and away from harmful situations the better.
    They should be vaccinated too before they come here and paid for by us the tax payers, it's the least we can do.

In the past I loved to party and enjoy music festivals, hugging and kissing strangers etc, sitting in barrels of warm water and seaweed with three other people, looking back that behaviour was absolutely disgusting.
    I'm ashamed to admit that now, I was a selfish man, motivated by the party lifestyle and togetherness.
    Absolutely irresponsible behaviour nowadays.
    Drinking to excess, playing twister in yoga class.
    Going to spiritual retreats and sharing mugs with strangers group hugs etc if covid was around back then I'd have been a super spreader.
    I went to Body and Soul and I knew I was coming down with the flu, and all 5 of us except the prison officer the odd ball of the group caught the flu in the next week... smart guy gets the flu vaccine,his fiance is a nurse and she's all for vaccines.
    It was my fault, and I feel so bad about it...

Sitting in the hot barrel thinking I had it made, but looking back now no more of that behaviour.

Those outdoor hot tubs are disease spreaders and if I see anyone setting one up, I'd feel like pouring them out.

I think you need to take a break from the covid news. It's making you depressed and coming across as unhinged, as clearly evidenced in this post.

JPup wrote: »
    The UK timeline is very similar to our own though?! Schools gradually open in March, cautious wider relaxing of rules in April and into May. Let’s wait and see, but I don’t think there will be that much difference in the approaches taken over the next few weeks.

Yeah I thought the same, maybe BoJo really put the wind up the boys at the top with his revelations yesterday. We all know it won’t last long here if the restrictions are lifted in the North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

I know where you're coming from, but unfortunately we have to rise above the sadness.
    We're resilient and we're living in a modern world with advancement of medical science.

The logistics of getting everyone vaccinated will be hard going, between procurement and administrative costs and the people administrating the vaccine etc takes time.

I know I'm all for lockdowns until this thing goes away, but it will go away and in a year or two we'll be able to open up again and carry on as much as before, but it'll be a new normal.

I'm worried about refugees and asylum seekers because they're suffering more than us, and the sooner we get them settled here and away from harmful situations the better.
    They should be vaccinated too before they come here and paid for by us the tax payers, it's the least we can do.

In the past I loved to party and enjoy music festivals, hugging and kissing strangers etc, sitting in barrels of warm water and seaweed with three other people, looking back that behaviour was absolutely disgusting.
    I'm ashamed to admit that now, I was a selfish man, motivated by the party lifestyle and togetherness.
    Absolutely irresponsible behaviour nowadays.
    Drinking to excess, playing twister in yoga class.
    Going to spiritual retreats and sharing mugs with strangers group hugs etc if covid was around back then I'd have been a super spreader.
    I went to Body and Soul and I knew I was coming down with the flu, and all 5 of us except the prison officer the odd ball of the group caught the flu in the next week... smart guy gets the flu vaccine,his fiance is a nurse and she's all for vaccines.
    It was my fault, and I feel so bad about it...

Sitting in the hot barrel thinking I had it made, but looking back now no more of that behaviour.

Those outdoor hot tubs are disease spreaders and if I see anyone setting one up, I'd feel like pouring them out.

3/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I will go to the lockdown protest but I am leaving if the usual nutjobs hijack it. Would a civically minded protest make sense with mask wearing and a degree of distancing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,905 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I will go to the lockdown protest but I am leaving if the usual nutjobs hijack it. Would a civically minded protest make sense with mask wearing and a degree of distancing?

As always it "the usual nutjobs" that are the organisers?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

I’m done! Never followed the 5k rule either way, totally illogical, but never got up and close to anyone out of politeness, continued to work (safely) but I’m done, bar wearing a mask out of politeness it’s over for me.

I’ll go to any restaurant that opens anytime soon, I’ll bring my active kids anywhere I can take them anytime soon, they’ll be straight back to school March 1st hopefully and they can do what they like as infant aged school kids

Don’t care now, I believe the government should come up with a personalised lockdown for elderly and vulnerable who’ll be vaccinated either way....how many denial of health deaths (compare life years to covid deaths) and mental problems will people suffer along with economic impact before the talking heads arrive at this conclusion to let certain cohorts lockdown and everyone else crack on.........unfortunate for the people who might potential suffer if exposed to covid but game over for me and plenty of sane, logics people I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

A reminder that this is not the place for conspiracy type posts. 'They' and 'their plans' can be discussed here

So do I have to say "NPHET and the government" now every time instead of "they" so that you wont get your knickers in a twist? I thought it was "their plan" too, wasn't it? Well until today when I found out there was no plan.

The electorate wants it.

You got to be kidding. Looking just alone at the posts here plus people in the wider community. Summer is on the way, people will naturally want to be out and about and with the rest of Europe opening up we’ll follow suit.

gansi wrote: »
    You got to be kidding. Looking just alone at the posts here plus people in the wider community. Summer is on the way, people will naturally want to be out and about and with the rest of Europe opening up we’ll follow suit.

Boards is and always has been a poor representation of the masses. Never realised until recently the left has far more sociopaths than the right!

However we have polls like this from a week ago:

59% of Irish feel restrictions necessary until cases drop below 20 a day

with broad support for restrictions. Many others before that with maybe 50% supporting current levels of restrictions, a further third wanting harder lockdowns and only 9% wanting lighter restrictions.

Surprising support from the public and fairly consistent too, although there may be media bias at play here. And of course the whole thing could change. But at the moment the government are doing the populist thing by imposing restrictions.

with broad support for restrictions. Many others before that with maybe 50% supporting current levels of restrictions, a further third wanting harder lockdowns and only 9% wanting lighter restrictions.

Surprising support from the public and fairly consistent too, although there may be media bias at play here. And of course the whole thing could change. But at the moment the government are doing the populist thing by imposing restrictions.

The government are doing the political thing, not populist.....certainly was a bit of fear / buy in just after Xmas as they had people scared to death but it’s very politically motivated and afraid of the “you killed my granny” reaction.....Leo broke ranks and chucked nphet advice once and got his slap, all politics I’m afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

hmmm wrote: »

wish i shared your optimism but this talk of a winter lockdown for a second time has me worried. if vaccinating 82% of 18+ by June doesn't end it in the government's mind what will? why are they the only ones saying these things

• Advertisement

Boards is and always has been a poor representation of the masses. Never realised until recently the left has far more sociopaths than the right!

Well yes gloomy it can be but loads of people as I’ve said outside of boards are fed up now, the 5km not being lifted at all, the patience of people is wearing thin, the schools reopening is a first step at least. But with the warmer weather coming in people will want to be out and about more it’s only natural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,598 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Last summer's opening here was nothing to write home about with a lot of Europe opened up . A lot is pointing to a repeat of that farce

Maybe so but people are fickle and fed up too. Hearing about the opening up plan in the Uk is probably making people think more about our situation here.A poll like that could look very different if you ran it tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

ypres5 wrote: »
    wish i shared your optimism but this talk of a winter lockdown for a second time has me worried. if vaccinating 82% of 18+ by June doesn't end it in the government's mind what will? why are they the only ones saying these things

I'm hoping it's a simple case of being cautious because we don't have the data on a large scale that proves that it will work. Israel is just going into the stage now where most are vaccinated and the hospitalisation figures over the next couple weeks will be key. The same goes with the UK over the next couple months as they are a good bit ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

hmmm wrote: »

I have the feeling this is how things will go. Some are saying the English reopening is too ambitious and now way they'll meet those targets. I actually think it's rather conservative especially in the earlier parts.

I think here in Ireland our rates will plummet in March and April due to vaccines and potential seasonality of the virus. At that stage there will be huge pressure on the government to ease restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

The government are doing the political thing, not populist.....certainly was a bit of fear / buy in just after Xmas as they had people scared to death but it’s very politically motivated and afraid of the “you killed my granny” reaction.....Leo broke ranks and chucked nphet advice once and got his slap, all politics I’m afraid.

In some ways this is the scariest thing for me.

The broad population is either not impacted and enjoying lockdown or more likely, genuinely afraid of COVID.

We've been conditioned as a society to fear for our lives of this disease despite it overwhelming being only dangerous for those in late stages of life. Terrible, but part of life.

Yet we go out drink to much, eat too much, exercise too little and the majority of us will die of heart disease, mental illness or cancer..

We need in this country a proper public debate, not blindly following government who blindly follow NPHET.

However even on 7th December of last year before the new year surge, you had:

Irish Times: Silent majority supports goal of zero Covid

Government strategy disconnected from public which backs stricter measures

Quote:
    "CSO surveys showed that 71 per cent of people believe Level 5 was appropriate, while 10 per cent say it didn’t go far enough. As of November 30th, department data suggests that 61 per cent of people approved of the Government reaction to the pandemic, while a further 23 per cent believed it didn’t go far enough. On social distancing measures, 78 per cent of people believed they were about right, while 14 per cent thought they were too weak."

People wanted to be stopped from all the visiting they were going to be doing over Christmas. It has been like that all along and continues to this day.

Klonker wrote: »
    I have the feeling this is how things will go. Some are saying the English reopening is too ambitious and now way they'll meet those targets. I actually think it's rather conservative especially in the earlier parts.

I think here in Ireland our rates will plummet in March and April due to vaccines and potential seasonality of the virus. At that stage there will be huge pressure on the government to ease restrictions.
    We might also be ordered I mean pressured to allow travel to EU countries dependent on tourist revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Am I going mad or have people lost their mind? The Irish public seemingly want simultaneously more restrictions yet there is vocal unanimous opposition to the continued restrictions. I'm honestly so confused. There's people talking about zero Covid while sharing sob stories of businesses suffering. When would the sob stories start coming in about businesses suffering from hugely disrupted sully chains brought about by a zero Covid approach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Am I going mad or have people lost their mind? The Irish public seemingly want simultaneously more restrictions yet there is vocal unanimous opposition to the continued restrictions. I'm honestly so confused. There's people talking about zero Covid while sharing sob stories of businesses suffering. When would the sob stories start coming in about businesses suffering from hugely disrupted sully chains brought about by a zero Covid approach?

I was all for the third round of restrictions but it's gone beyond a joke at this stage. First it was till 05 February then extended to 05 of March and now 05 April.

Pure piss take at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement