Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Level 5 until the summer and no clear way out. Meanwhile our friends and family in the North and in England are well on the path to normality. They'll be in nightclubs before we've left level 5. I'll have plenty to talk about with my barber today anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I was all for the third round of restrictions but it's gone beyond a joke at this stage. First it was till 05 February then extended to 05 of March and now 05 April.

Pure piss take at this stage.
    Parachutes wrote: »
    I wonder how long they think they can get away with this crap?
    They will get away with it as long as people let them get away with it.

Hospital numbers actually INCREASED by 23 overnight yesterday to 690. A little lower this morning thankfully but not much.

157 poor souls in ICU yesterday, at the very peak of the first wave there were only 155.

Faced with those kind of stats there's no way they could consider lowering restrictions yet.

batman_oh wrote: »
    Hardly 'great' though when we are the only country with such a restriction for months on end.
    It's like saying getting punched in the face is great because you aren't getting kicked in the nuts

Well, if the choice is staying with a 5km limit, or not having one, I know which I would prefer.

GazzaL wrote: »
    Level 5 until the summer and no clear way out. Meanwhile our friends and family in the North and in England are well on the path to normality. They'll be in nightclubs before we've left level 5. I'll have plenty to talk about with my barber today anyway!
    Unfortunately the irony is lost on you.

GazzaL wrote: »

Northern Ireland will be restricted until 1st April, we are in level 5 until the 5th April.
    Do people just want to make things sound worse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Scotty # wrote: »
    Unfortunately the irony is lost on you.

Why ? you think him getting a haircut is a risky event ?

really ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

really ?

I see a lot of hairdressers wearing those poxy face shield things. They don't work. An especially bad idea for a hairdresser. Their potentially disease-riddled sputum drip drip dripping on your noggin.

really ?

Apparently I'm a very naughty boy for getting my haircut and the Government and NPHET are infallible deities despite still not producing a clear and credible plan after nearly 12 months.

really ?

It's certainly more risky than not getting one. No?

Crossing the road is certainly more risky than not crossing the road, but what choice did I have if I needed to get to the other side. I got some buzz crossing the road this morning, the adrenaline is still pulsating through me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I personally wouldn't go , I have been shaving my head every month since last March, but I wouldn't villify someone from getting a haircut, the barbers are very safe, masked up etc... here at least, are they shut in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I'd just like a better idea of what happens on April 5th. I'm not even that against Level 5 until then and I'm not suggesting open up the country fully on April 5th, but I'd just like to know what we're aiming for on that date. Is it Level 4? (which, basically is Level 5) or is there a chance of getting it to Level 3? Does anybody know?

I personally wouldn't go , I have been shaving my head every month since last March, but I wouldn't villify someone from getting a haircut, the barbers are very safe, masked up etc... here at least, are they shut in Ireland ?
    Sorry Hector, my comment wasn't based on that one post. He regularly condones breaching restrictions, whether it be the 5k limit or international travel or whatever, while also bitching and whinging continuously, sometimes in the same post, about us still being in lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

really ?

It depends, if he has to go further than 5k the risk increases exponentially dont ye know, if he goes to the shop on the way and buys some essential food etc but also picks up something else thats non essential then the man has practically killed all his family and those associated with him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Nermal

Am I going mad or have people lost their mind? The Irish public seemingly want simultaneously more restrictions yet there is vocal unanimous opposition to the continued restrictions. I'm honestly so confused. There's people talking about zero Covid while sharing sob stories of businesses suffering. When would the sob stories start coming in about businesses suffering from hugely disrupted sully chains brought about by a zero Covid approach?

People give what they think is the 'right' answer to questions asked by pollsters.

Their true feelings are revealed in their behaviour, and when the bill arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

bubblypop wrote: »
    Northern Ireland will be restricted until 1st April, we are in level 5 until the 5th April.
    Do people just want to make things sound worse?

That's just a pure lie. We have level 5 restrictions until at least 5th April, not until

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

JMNolan wrote: »
    That's just a pure lie. We have level 5 restrictions until at least 5th April, not until

Is there a statement from the powers that be in NI where that state they absolutely will open up on April 1st? Regardless of the situation at the time?
    I doubt it, considering Boris Johnsons plan hasn't even said that.

I have said it previously, the main difference I see between us and the UK is communication. They are trying to be optimistic whilst giving very little commitment. We are just playing it incredibly cautious after the hammering we took over Christmas.
    If the UK's plan works out it is good new for us. If it doesn't work out than we know there is an issue with efficacy of vaccines or variants etc.
    Either way, once vaccine supply increases in the next 8 weeks we won't be far behind them come June.
    Fingers crossed it works out for us all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Christmas showed nothing. They gave people 3 weeks in the dead of winter to do non essential shopping and see their families.

It showed that if we're given the freedom to shop and see family, in the dead of inter, the virus will spread to the point that we need a lockdown lasting for 3 months after only 3 weeks. And you don't think that shows anything? I think it shows a lot. Factor in the warmer weather and it still means we won't observe the necessary distancing to make it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

W123-80's wrote: »
    Is there a statement from the powers that be in NI where that state they absolutely will open up on April 1st? Regardless of the situation at the time?

I have said it previously, the main difference I see between us and the UK is communication. They are trying to be optimistic whilst giving very little commitment. We are just playing it incredibly cautious after the hammering we took over Christmas.
    If the UK's plan works out it is good new for us. If it doesn't work out than we know there is an issue with efficacy of vaccines or variants etc.
    Either way, once vaccine supply increases in the next 8 weeks we won't be far behind them come June.
    Fingers crossed it works out for us all.

You realize we have strictest lockdown in whole of EU right? 4th strictest in the world.

Alcohol only pubs in Dublin have been shut since March 2020.

We are a million miles behind them. Seriously I hope you just posted that as a joke to cheer us up after being condemned to 12 week level 5 lockdown AFTER vaccine rollout began?

Our reward for vaccines? Well longest level 5 lockdown to date.

Hold firm :rolleyes:

Christmas was in December when it's cold, wet, and dark outside. We opened up indoor activities. Of course distancing was difficult then. That shouldn't mean we can't loosen restrictions a bit in spring when it's much more practical for people to meet outdoors. There are plenty of restrictions that could be eased without us going back to what things were like at Christmas. It isn't a binary choice.

That's true. And I expect restrictions will be loosened as the weather warms. That's what we want, right?

• Advertisement

I showed that if we're given the freedom to shop and see family, in the dead of inter, the virus will spread to the point that we need a lockdown lasting for 3 months after only 3 weeks. And you don't think that shows anything? I think it shows a lot. Factor in the warmer weather and it still means we won't observe the necessary distancing to make it work.

Can you give a more detailed description as to why is there a need for 3 months lockdown?

Or you are just nodding your head to whatever man on the telly said yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'd just like a better idea of what happens on April 5th. I'm not even that against Level 5 until then and I'm not suggesting open up the country fully on April 5th, but I'd just like to know what we're aiming for on that date. Is it Level 4? (which, basically is Level 5) or is there a chance of getting it to Level 3? Does anybody know?

I remember when it was a big deal to impose restrictions on peoples civil liberties. It used to be a last resort, only done within very specific parameters and with a heavy heart.

Today? "You have to stay in lockdown lads. Another couple of months maybe, I dunno. A plan? Nah, no plan, just stay locked down there ok".

Most people arent sticking to that 5km restriction compared to the previous lockdowns. Has to be one of the most ridiculous restrictions anywhere.

Do you think people not sticking to restrictions has anything to do with the transmissions dropping more slowly...? Those two things could hardly be related, could they?

Do you think people not sticking to restrictions has anything to do with the transmissions dropping more slowly...? Those two things could hardly be related, could they?

I guess the fact that 250,000 have been vaccinated eluded you.

:rolleyes:

I'm really happy that people are beginning to pick up on that distinction. No point misreading it and being disappointed if the restrictions aren't changed on April 5.
    W123-80's wrote: »

Yes. you're exactly right. They are in lockdown until April 1 and there's no definite plan to lift lockdown on April 1. It's disappointing that some people are still interpreting this to suit their narrative rather than just seeing what was actually said.

As I said, level 5 until 5th April.
    No-one knows what happens then, unless you can see the future?

Feel sorry for the doom and gloomers that thanked your post!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

I don't want to have to copy and paste from the dictionary but "until April 5th" means the level 5 restrictions will 100% end on that date which is wrong. God forbid you'd admit it though

Can you give a more detailed description as to why is there a need for 3 months lockdown?

Or you are just nodding your head to whatever man on the telly said yesterday?

It has taken nearly 2 months to get the transmission numbers down this far. Maybe the numbers will drop to the level required for government to end lockdown before the end of march, maybe they won't. Do you think we will be out of this lockdown before it's 3 months old?

You feel sorry for doom and gloomers who thanked the post?

Dont you feel sorry for children whose education has been severely damaged over the last 11 months?

Dublin alcohol only pub workers who have been sitting at home for 11 months straight?

25% of unemployed people in the country whose salary has been reduced dramatically - to below minimum wage?

Am I being doom and gloomy or am I pointing out reality to you?

• Advertisement

I guess the fact that 250,000 have been vaccinated eluded you.

:rolleyes:

What's that got to do with the post you quoted? The poster said more people are not complying with restrictions, and I suggested that's one reason why transmission numbers are falling more slowly. Vaccinations wold be a protective factor in transmissions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement