Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

What's that got to do with the post you quoted? The poster said more people are not complying with restrictions, and I suggested that's one reason why transmission numbers are falling more slowly. Vaccinations wold be a protective factor in transmissions.

Vaccinations reduce transmission dramatically.

Its been pointed out to you before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

You realize we have strictest lockdown in whole of EU right? 4th strictest in the world.

Alcohol only pubs in Dublin have been shut since March 2020.

We are a million miles behind them. Seriously I hope you just posted that as a joke to cheer us up after being condemned to 12 week level 5 lockdown AFTER vaccine rollout began?

Our reward for vaccines? Well longest level 5 lockdown to date.

Hold firm :rolleyes:

Ya, I'm well aware how strict our lockdown is. I have 3 kids under the age of 7 and I spent 7 months on the PUP.:(
    I want restrictions to ease as much as the next man.

My point is come June, we won't be far behind the UK in terms of people vaccinated and assuming the vaccine works well and variants don't mess with it we should all be motoring very well by the end of the summer.
    More importantly hopefully we will see gradual easing of restrictions before then.
    In the meantime the UK, France, Germany etc etc etc are all under restrictions also. We are not the only country under restrictions.
    Germany won't open their schools until cases come below 50 (or is it 35?) per 100,000 of population over a 7 day period. We are nowhere near that figure and we are reopening schools.
    This thread is getting bogged in circular arguments.
    As long as the vaccine is effective and variants don't mess with the efficacy we won't be far behind the UK come June.

Unfortunately until then it is a case of hold firm.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭iagreebut

the kelt wrote: »
    It depends, if he has to go further than 5k the risk increases exponentially dont ye know, if he goes to the shop on the way and buys some essential food etc but also picks up something else thats non essential then the man has practically killed all his family and those associated with him!!

Yes we're all potential killer's and that's it.

I could be a carrier and be symptom free, but I could pass it on to someone vunerable and like a Domino effect people could be killed by my misadventure.

It really gets to me when I see no roadblocks at the county boundaries, I counted 8 cars one day cross the river Feale at feales bridge at the turn off to Brosna, that bridge is on the Limerick and Kerry border.

They could be coming from anywhere, imagine the devastating effects that could potentially have on the population of Kerry.

And I don't understand why people are saying in trolling, when I'm going with the suggested guidelines and rules set out.

Like I said before I wish this never happened the whole covid thing, I miss the freedom, my partner is at his wits end so am I.

I know people who have broken up over restrictions etc

I seen people posting on board's suggesting that it's the vunerable and elderly who should be adhering to the guidelines laid out.
    And the rest of the country should be allowed to get on with it, but these people were getting a lot of stick and negative feedback.
    Told that the lockdowns are important and people were petrified of dying or ending up killing someone's granny or grandfather.

Now fatigue and reality's setting in, spring is coming and people want to get back to normal.
    The party is over, the big willy jokes, tictok is losing traction..
    Zoom meetings are getting boring, the kids are running around the house and you're trying to get work done.
    You miss your work colleagues and the banter around the shop floor and office.

From the start of all this I thought to myself why don't the vunerable and elderly social distance and stay safe, look after the people in nursing homes, and let people get on with their lives.

But looking back at old posts of people getting abuse and told that NPHET and the government are right and how dare you suggest that they open the country and let the rest of us get back to normal.

The government are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't, they had their back to the wall.
    People were crying out for lockdowns and closing county borders,stop people from visiting beaches, headland's, parks and recreation areas.

Now the same people are blaming the government, I think it's not the fault of the Government or NPHET.

It's easy to point the finger at the establishment, it's easy to call me a trool or a lefty.
    But have a good look at all the people on boards.ie and other social media platforms who were on about social distancing, super spreader s, not welcoming people to their towns and villages and rural areas.

I was from the very start saying why can't the vunerable and elderly social distance and stay safe.
    I was called all kinds of things, I lost a few friends over this.
    But when I support the government and NEPHT by suggesting they are not to blame the same people who were screaming for more lockdowns are now saying that I'm a trool and unreasonable...

Seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Its been pointed out to you before.

I don't disagree with that. Why are transmission numbers coming down more slowly now? I suspect it might be to do with more people flouting the restrictions - as the poster I quoted said is happening.

I don't disagree with that. Why are transmission numbers coming down more slowly now? I suspect it might be to do with more people flouting the restrictions - as the poster I quoted said is happening.

Transmission numbers are coming down because healthcare workers have been prioritised for vaccines. A lot of covid genuinely spreads in the hospital, if you vaccinate healthcare workers like we have not only will you have fewer missing from work out with covid but also they wont be spreading it to hospital patients.

I think in December, January period 40% of covid cases were getting covid in the hospital once they came in with their broken legs.

• Advertisement

Transmission numbers are coming down because healthcare workers have been prioritised for vaccines. A lot of covid genuinely spreads in the hospital, if you vaccinate healthcare workers like we have not only will you have fewer missing from work out with covid but also they wont be spreading it to hospital patients.

I think in December, January period 40% of covid cases were getting covid in the hospital once they came in with their broken legs.

Not sure if there’s any point asking the question again. If you don’t want to answer it, just say so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

lol... we went from just 197 people in hospital with covid on mid December to over 2,000 people three weeks later. That's a hell of a lot of people suddenly breaking their legs, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is there no let up, both the Times and the Independent already talking about having to protect our health services next winter, aka another lockdown as there seems to be no other game in town.

Government's Covid plan comes with caution – could Ireland face another wave of the virus next winter?
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/governments-covid-plan-comes-with-caution-could-ireland-face-another-wave-of-the-virus-next-winter-40126768.html

Ireland could face similar Covid struggles next winter, Government warns (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ireland-could-face-similar-covid-struggles-next-winter-government-warns-1.4493371

When does it end, it doesn't by the sounds of it.

JMNolan wrote: »
    I don't want to have to copy and paste from the dictionary but "until April 5th" means the level 5 restrictions will 100% end on that date which is wrong. God forbid you'd admit it though

No it doesnt. It means current restrictions will continue until 5th April.
    Then something will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Is there no let up, both the Times and the Independent already talking about having to protect our health services next winter.
    The fine print in the UK's roadmap, as optimistic as it is, also expects the use of masks and social distancing to be reintroduced throughout the winter months.

• Advertisement

Is there no let up, both the Times and the Independent already talking about having to protect our health services next winter, aka another lockdown as there seems to be no other game in town.

Government's Covid plan comes with caution – could Ireland face another wave of the virus next winter?
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/governments-covid-plan-comes-with-caution-could-ireland-face-another-wave-of-the-virus-next-winter-40126768.html

Ireland could face similar Covid struggles next winter, Government warns (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ireland-could-face-similar-covid-struggles-next-winter-government-warns-1.4493371

My partner asked me if everything is going to be fine in the future and I said yes.

I actually didnt believe what I was saying. Think I've reached new level of depression, or reality. Unlike previous nonsense announcements the anger is still very strong in me, surprisingly strong. I feel even angrier today than I did yesterday. Things are definitely getting different and worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

bubblypop wrote: »
    No it doesnt. It means current restrictions will continue until 5th April.
    Then something will happen.

Just like something was meant to happen on 5th March... Producing a colourful booklet full of **** doesn't count as "something".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Yea, it seems this is the next think for the journalists to jump on. The section they refer to says the health services MAY face challenges during the winter, due to the currently unknown impact of the vaccine on transmission (coupled with increased indoor activity/other winter resp illnesses in greater circulation/fatigue with public health measures).

Signs are very good that the vaccines will in fact hinder transmission, so this should hopefully be just an abundance of caution. I can't read either article as I don't have the subscriptions...but I assume they don't mention this!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

My partner asked me if everything is going to be fine in the future and I said yes.

I actually didnt believe what I was saying. Think I've reached new level of depression, or reality. Unlike previous nonsense announcements the anger is still very strong in me, surprisingly strong. I feel even angrier today than I did yesterday. Things are definitely getting different and worse.

What has you so rattled? What are the restrictions restricting you from doing?

Well, do you not want the media to ask those questions? Should they ignore the important questions?

Of course we should be asking those questions. Asking the questions sets out the long term vision - what do we want, what are the challenges, what can we do about it and what’s likely to happen.

I don’t wan the media doing puff pieces on how restrictions will all be gone next week because that’s not realistic. Avoiding restrictions next winter is a serious goal and a big concern

mcsean2163 wrote: »

No social life.
    No travel.
    No meeting relatives (as they live in different counties)

For months and months and months.

And months and months and months.

Months. Not weeks. Not days but MONTHS. majority of last 11 months Ive spent without social life, without travel and I only seen my dad once last year and my mother once.

The worst thing is - when will this end? when will this be close to ending? It seems MORE MONTHS away now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

What a question!!!

Every social outlet is taken away from people and some think, what's the problem?

What a question!!!

Every social outlet is taken away from people and some think, what's the problem?

I remember a poster here suggested I get a tent going in my back garden for my holiday this summer.

I have a feeling that well ofcourse shi* is getting worse, but posters on boards genuinely seem to go into troll mode, more and more frequently. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

You are not alone in these feelings, its the never ending doom and gloom, and the fact the UK have a dates and all we have is they will be reviewed again..its hard.

I feel the same as you, its the felling of no light at the end of the tunnel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I remember a poster here suggested I get a tent going in my back garden for my holiday this summer.

I have a feeling that well ofcourse shi* is getting worse, but posters on boards genuinely seem to go into troll mode, more and more frequently. Very annoying.

You can see why the Government have no problem justifying one of the strictest lock downs on the planet...they know we will shut up and take it!!! And shame those who won't!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

No social life.
    No travel.

Months. Not weeks. Not days but MONTHS. majority of last 11 months Ive spent without social life, without travel and I only seen my dad once last year and my mother once.

The worst thing is - when will this end? when will this be close to ending? It seems MORE MONTHS away now.

If your mental health is suffering, that is a medical reason to travel - go to the different counties and see some relatives/friends even if its only a short walk with them.

Do your parents live in Ireland - if so, go and see them - delivery them some groceries and provide care - or visit your grandparents grave (if its beside where your parents live)

We need to take care of ourselves and look after our own mental health - do whatever you feel is necessary to stop you spiraling into depression, you probably won't even encounter a checkpoint - but if you do, the worst they can do is fine you E100 if they don't accept your reasonable excuse, and you can fight the fine if you think you have a reasonable excuse. They cannot stop you continuing on your journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I can't get one of my kids speech therapy which he badly needs, he's only had it 3 times since March 2020, could do with it twice a month at least.
    Before you say it, no it can't be done via zoom or behind a mask.

No social life.
    No travel.

You can have social bubbles, why don't you have one with your parents?
    Go visit them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

bubblypop wrote: »
    You can have social bubbles, why don't you have one with your parents?
    Go visit them

Wow I’m sure they’ve never considered it. Groundbreaking contribution.

Wow I’m sure they’ve never considered it. Groundbreaking contribution.

So why haven't they done it then?
    Better then your stunning contribution

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

No social life.
    No travel.

My guess is late summer/early autumn will see a return to relative normality.
    There will still be precautions in place as we will be entering our first winter with people vaccinated.

This is all dependent on vaccine efficacy and potential variants. If they throw a spanner in the works than its not only Ireland that are in bother, Its the UK, Europe and everywhere else.

We are in a really difficult period at the minute because our cases skyrocketed at Christmas. Those numbers have to be brought under control before we can ease restrictions again. Otherwise we will see cases skyrocket again in the middle of the vaccination programme.
    That would just be irresponsible.

In my humble opinion, assuming the vaccine does its job, we will be in a good place by June/July. Not 2019 normality, but a good place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Who said that the vaccine cuts the trasmission? If it was true, vaccinated people would be allowed to work without face masks?
    Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

Do people think this will all end in the UK on june 22 or whatever date Boris gave?

I personally can't see any chance of no restrictions at this stage but would love to be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Do people think this will all end in the UK on june 22 or whatever date Boris gave?

I personally can't see any chance of no restrictions at this stage but would love to be wrong

If the vaccines work as well as promised (and the signs are good so far) and there's no major cock up in the roll out, then I don't see why not!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement