Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Reading and Leeds festivals will go ahead in August, organisers confirm.

Skynews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,827 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Do people think this will all end in the UK on june 22 or whatever date Boris gave?

I personally can't see any chance of no restrictions at this stage but would love to be wrong

No, I see him finding a reason to push step 4 out for 1 or possibly 2 reviews, if they stick to 5 week gaps, then 1 review would bring it to the first week of August, which is much more realistic IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Do people think this will all end in the UK on june 22 or whatever date Boris gave?

I personally can't see any chance of no restrictions at this stage but would love to be wrong

boris is getting married on the 23rd june apparently so yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

trixi001 wrote: »
    I feel the same as you, its the felling of no light at the end of the tunnel

In a few other threads, if you write something like this you will get insulted and probably threadbanned. There are threads were only positive posts are accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

No. I don't think it'll end on June 22. Thats just my opinion.
    No one knows for certain if they will achieve the plan. That's why it uses the term "Earliest possible date" at each of the key phases.

I really hope they come close to meeting the targets though.
    That will mean we are on the right track in this battle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

bubblypop wrote: »
    You can have social bubbles, why don't you have one with your parents?
    Go visit them

According to this link, there are a limited number of circumstances where people can form a bubble: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/3516d-support-bubbles/

Unless the poster lives alone, they'd be unable to form a bubble with their parents. I'm not saying I support that rule, but that's how it reads to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

I'm amazed at the number of people who are giving the government a pass on the idiotic plan issued yesterday.

Its basically open schools slowly, vaccinate and if your really good boys and girls we might give you a sweet after easter.

This is not a plan and not good enough after having 12 months to deal with and come up with a roadmap to normality.

Every plan (in any business and even if sport) contain KPI'S which need to be met to progress. Our is devoid of KPI'S.

A simple plan could state if on 5 April if our incidence rate is less than, pick a number, i'll go with 200, our ICU rate is less than 50 and hospitalisation are at 200 we will relax named restrictions.
    The same criteria can be used for 2 weeks later and so on.

This gives clarity to the public and the various businesses dates to aim for reopening.

IMO this would have greater buy in than the current daft position.

According to this link, there are a limited number of circumstances where people can form a bubble: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/3516d-support-bubbles/

Unless the poster lives alone, they'd be unable to form a bubble with their parents. I'm not saying I support that rule, but that's how it reads to me.

Reads like that, for one house, the other one in the bubble isnt.
    So, he can come under any of those circumstances, or his parents can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

My partner asked me if everything is going to be fine in the future and I said yes.

I actually didnt believe what I was saying. Think I've reached new level of depression, or reality. Unlike previous nonsense announcements the anger is still very strong in me, surprisingly strong. I feel even angrier today than I did yesterday. Things are definitely getting different and worse.

That might be a fair reflection of your mental state but it's not a fair reflection of reality. The reality is that things will be fine. The vaccine is here, it's being rolled out, and as it stands, we're moving towards reopening and moving towards a return to normality.

I really think some people are more concerned with giving out about the situation than actually getting back towards normality. The post above shows exactly that mentality in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

RGS wrote: »
    I'm amazed at the number of people who are giving the government a pass on the idiotic plan issued yesterday.

Pat Kenny wasn't this morning, basically said the government murdered people at Christmas and now they want to kill the children, we were told 36 young kids in hospital last week, so why schools are opening he couldn't get his head around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

No social life.
    No travel.
    No meeting relatives (as they live in different counties)

For months and months and months.

And months and months and months.

Months. Not weeks. Not days but MONTHS. majority of last 11 months Ive spent without social life, without travel and I only seen my dad once last year and my mother once.

The worst thing is - when will this end? when will this be close to ending? It seems MORE MONTHS away now.

Well, you said you had a partner, so you must have some social life?

No travel and no parents. Travel can be very important to some and I'm not saying it's not. I don't know why you didn't visit your parents more last year, we went on holiday with my Mam in a hotel etc. last summer but you seem to regret that now.

So all legitimate concerns and claustrophobia could be an issue too.

All I can say is write to all your local TDs and councillors, that's what they're there for. No point in getting too angry if you can avoid as won't do you any good. It's like being angry with the tide for coming in. So in summary, use the democratic tools at your disposal, you could even start a political party etc

Who said that the vaccine cuts the trasmission? If it was true, vaccinated people would be allowed to work without face masks?
    Am I missing something?

There have been some preliminary results (not yet peer reviewed and not considered established truth) that the vaccine reduced transmissions. They suggested the vaccine reduced likelihood of transmission by between 70-90%.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-israel-vaccine-int-idUSKBN2AJ08J

More research needed, of course, but it's very good news if true.

There have been some preliminary results (not yet peer reviewed and not considered established truth) that the vaccine reduced transmissions. They suggested the vaccine reduced likelihood of transmission by between 70-90%.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-israel-vaccine-int-idUSKBN2AJ08J

Curfew is back in some parts of Israel, if the current strain is 10 times more transmissible than the first strain and it's reduces by 70% we're still worse off than we were when we originally went into lockdown last year with the original strain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

They also have us thinking we should be very grateful for PUP and twss, when it's their lockdowns are forcing people to avail of them!

That's a good one. When people say the pandemic caused the businesses to close or required people to be put on PUP. For clarity, the restrictions brought in by the government caused it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Good news indeed, especially it this applies to people who recovered as well.
    Some sources said that those who recovered form Covid might wait at the end of the list for the vaccine, or not take it at all, because of the naturally acquired immunity.

Curfew is back in some parts of Israel, if the current strain is 10 times more transmissible than the first strain and it's reduces by 70% we're still worse off than we were when we originally went into lockdown last year with the original strain.

That's interesting news and I'll keep an eye out to see how that situation develops, but it's got absolutely nothing to do with the news i linked to. Do you have any news articles for the Israeli curfews being expanded? I can only see news about Israel reopening from a quick google.

Edit: I can see they imposed curfew or a religious festival this weekend. They anticipated there would be a lot of mixing otherwise. Can't see anything about a new strain being 10 times more transmissible.

The roles of who is a "doom and gloom" merchant have completely flipped in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Tiredandcranky

That might be a fair reflection of your mental state but it's not a fair reflection of reality. The reality is that things will be fine. The vaccine is here, it's being rolled out, and as it stands, we're moving towards reopening and moving towards a return to normality.

I really think some people are more concerned with giving out about the situation than actually getting back towards normality. The post above shows exactly that mentality in action.

But when... When is it going to be fine?

We all get the vaccine ... by August say: that’s great. Say the booster (that’s being prepared now) for new variants is available in September. So they’ll start to roll that out. In the meantime, to contain new variant, we’ll need some level of social distancing e.g. no big events. We all get the booster but meanwhile new variants are generated that require new boosters. And all the while, we have to restrict things like large gatherings and travel to try and contain them.

This goes on and on and on, until finally somebody sees sense and sees that we have to drive the numbers down to a sufficiently low level that we can test and trace the bejesus out of every case ie zero COVID. But that’s a dirty word politically now, so we could be waiting a long time.

I’m f**king sick of this ****!

That's interesting news and I'll keep an eye out to see how that situation develops, but it's got absolutely nothing to do with the news i linked to.

The roles of who is a "doom and gloom" merchant have completely flipped in the last few weeks.

I'm still positive for last week or two of April for a big change. I'd bet this is seasonal. Those headlines threw me this morning though, I'm not doing this crap again next winter, I'm gone, told herself to either come with me or pick which kids she wants to keep, I've travelled enough to know there's a better way of living.

That's interesting news and I'll keep an eye out to see how that situation develops, but it's got absolutely nothing to do with the news i linked to. Do you have any news articles for the Israeli curfews being expanded? I can only see news about Israel reopening from a quick google.

Its related to the Purim holidays, I think its precautionary.
    I don't know much about that holiday, but I think its celebrated by the Ultra Orthadox Jewish Community.
    That community have pretty high rates everywhere. London included. See last link

https://www.timesofisrael.com/netanyahu-backs-nighttime-curfew-over-purim-beginning-at-830-p-m/

https://www.garda.com/crisis24/news-alerts/446761/israel-palestine-authorities-impose-a-2030-0500-nationwide-nightly-curfew-during-the-purim-holidays-feb-25-27-update-1

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-55903096

From your link, "Jewish men are twice as likely to die from Covid-19 than Christian men"

How do they make that out..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Curfew is back in some parts of Israel
    I think this has more to do with some upcoming religious festivals and potential large gathering of non vaccinated people rather then numbers going the wrong way.

But when... When is it going to be fine?

We all get the vaccine ... by August say: that’s great. Say the booster (that’s being prepared now) for new variants is available in September. So they’ll start to roll that out. In the meantime, to contain new variant, we’ll need some level of social distancing e.g. no big events. We all get the booster but meanwhile new variants are generated that require new boosters. And all the while, we have to restrict things like large gatherings and travel to try and contain them.

This goes on and on and on, until finally somebody sees sense and sees that we have to drive the numbers down to a sufficiently low level that we can test and trace the bejesus out of every case ie zero COVID. But that’s a dirty word politically now, so we could be waiting a long time.

I’m f**king sick of this ****!

Well the first thing I would suggest it to be realistic. Nobody is suggesting we will all be vaccinated by August. I really think there's a lack of critical thinking on this topic.

Realistically, they are trying to vaccinate as may as possible before the weather cools again and relax restrictions along the way. When cases go up next winter again and if they becomes a problem, then they will need to see which restrictions to bring in again. If things go great (no problematic new variants, good vaccine supply and rollout and the numbers don't rise too much in winter, then there will be fewer (or no) new restrictions. And the opposite applies if the supply and rollout go slowly and cases become a problem next winter.

This shouldn't be a surprise to any adult who has been reading the news over the last year. There are a number of unknowns which we can only wait and see what happens.

From your link, "Jewish men are twice as likely to die from Covid-19 than Christian men"

How do they make that out..

Not sure to be honest. The researchers don't appear to fully understand the reasons behind the high rate of infection themselves yet, but the paragraph below offers insight.

"The researchers say the reasons behind this high rate of infection are not yet clear. Strictly-Orthodox families have significantly larger households than the UK average (average in the community 5-6 individuals per house compared to a UK average of 2.3). They also live in areas of increased population density, and in pre-pandemic times have regular attendance at communal events and gatherings."

https://www.lshtm.ac.uk/newsevents/news/2021/sars-cov-2-infection-rate-very-high-amongst-uk-strictly-orthodox-jewish

I'm still positive for last week or two of April for a big change. I'd bet this is seasonal. Those headlines threw me this morning though, I'm not doing this crap again next winter, I'm gone, told herself to either come with me or pick which kids she wants to keep, I've travelled enough to know there's a better way of living.

Headlines threw you this morning? Have you been reading Facebook for your news for the last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

If we vaccinate everyone over 60 and everyone under 60 with a chronic condition, that’s actually 98 per cent of the job in terms of deaths and hospitalisations.

W123-80's wrote: »
    Not sure to be honest. The researchers don't appear to fully understand the reasons behind the high rate of infection themselves yet, but the paragraph below offers insight.

"The researchers say the reasons behind this high rate of infection are not yet clear. Strictly-Orthodox families have significantly larger households than the UK average (average in the community 5-6 individuals per house compared to a UK average of 2.3). They also live in areas of increased population density, and in pre-pandemic times have regular attendance at communal events and gatherings."

https://www.lshtm.ac.uk/newsevents/news/2021/sars-cov-2-infection-rate-very-high-amongst-uk-strictly-orthodox-jewish

Orthodox Jews have been really bad at adhering to the rules. Partly "god will protect us" attitude. They were the worst hit early in the pandemic and then they were less likely, as a group, adhere to lockdown restrictions. So I've read anyway

Orthodox Jews have been really bad at adhering to the rules. Partly "god will protect us" attitude. They were the worst hit early in the pandemic and then they were less likely, as a group, adhere to lockdown restrictions. So I've read anyway

That's my understanding too.
    Open to be corrected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Well the first thing I would suggest it to be realistic. Nobody is suggesting we will all be vaccinated by August.
    They're hoping to ramp it up to 250k per week from April (supply allowing). The would mean we could be all done mid June-July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Scotty # wrote: »
    I think this has more to do with some upcoming religious festivals and potential large gathering of non vaccinated people rather then numbers going the wrong way.

Added with complacency by people who just had the jab. Twice the infection rate with people who had the first jab up to 8 days vs people who haven’t had the jab yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Well, you said you had a partner, so you must have some social life?

No travel and no parents. Travel can be very important to some and I'm not saying it's not. I don't know why you didn't visit your parents more last year, we went on holiday with my Mam in a hotel etc. last summer but you seem to regret that now.

So all legitimate concerns and claustrophobia could be an issue too.

All I can say is write to all your local TDs and councillors, that's what they're there for. No point in getting too angry if you can avoid as won't do you any good. It's like being angry with the tide for coming in. So in summary, use the democratic tools at your disposal, you could even start a political party etc

I. Listen.

I erm.

Fk you made me laugh actually. Listen your advice is bizarre and pointless as starting political party isnt an essential activity and last time I checked you dont start 1 over the internet. But damn that was funny :D

I have a bad feeling that if I tell you I can only go 5km from my home at any day you ll tell me "well you said you can walk 5km, you see at least you can walk that much"

Idont know whether to cry or laugh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement