Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

The like / dislike ratio is pretty telling.

Useless muppets.

Leo says "vaccines are being rolled out and we know vaccines work" so why the fk are you keeping us in level 5 for another 6 weeks if over 10,000 people get vaccinated daily and 260,000 have already received their jab??

400k in receipt of PUP. Fkin hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Gript can reveal that members of the Zero-Covid advocacy group ISAG have recently been instructed to “look for ways to increase insecurity, anxiety, and uncertainty.”

The revelation comes from a trove of hundreds of emails, draft documents, and ISAG internal communications that were recently leaked to Gript.

https://gript.ie/look-for-ways-to-increase-insecurity-anxiety-and-uncertainty-zero-covid-document/
    Has there been any more on this. It is utterly bonkers if true. If not, defamation/fake news?

If Anthony Staines, DCU Professor, had any part in this, even if it was nothing to do with DCU surely there would be major questions over his employment with that institution.

Anyone can state an opinion but for "experts" to seemingly have guidance/a strategy in writing to manipulate the public like that is possibly the maddest thing I've heard since the start of the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Useless muppets.

Leo says "vaccines are being rolled out and we know vaccines work" so why the fk are you keeping us in level 5 for another 6 weeks if over 10,000 people get vaccinated daily and 260,000 have already received their jab??

Its the cautious approach.

We are not the only country taking a cautious approach.
    About an hour ago on this very thread someone mentioned Israel re-implementing a curfew for a religious holiday festival they have this weekend. Despite them having one of the most successful vaccination roll-outs worldwide and far lower case numbers.

We need to get the numbers down before we can look to ease restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

W123-80's wrote: »

About an hour ago on this very thread someone mentioned Israel re-implementing a curfew for a religious holiday festival they have this weekend. Despite them having one of the most successful vaccination roll-outs worldwide and far lower case numbers.

And Israel is lauded as one of the biggest success stories in this whole vaccination attempt. They imposed some additional restrictions for this weekend because they were necessary.

So what other EU country has shut down construction?

What other EU country has younger population than Ireland?

What other country has had over 20% unemployment on average per month for the last 11 months?

When you answer these questions you ll soon realize we are in a gutter. And 11 months on closing our ears and repeating "this is a cautious approach" is just not good enough.

• Advertisement

Useless muppets.

Vaccines are being rolled out and we know they work. But you know it will take time to get them rolled out and it will take time to get back to normal. Acting surprised every day that we're still in level 5, is childish. You're free to do it, but I don't think it will make you happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

And Israel is lauded as one of the biggest success stories in this whole vaccination attempt. They imposed some additional restrictions for this weekend because they were necessary.

Seems like a much more sensible approach than our tactic of keeping restrictions so we don't need to reimpose restrictions.

Seems like a much more sensible approach than our tactic of keeping restrictions so we don't need to reimpose restrictions.

Do you think their percentage of population vaccinated has anything to do with them opening up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,602 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sick of it all now

The pro lockdown people are praying things go belly up here and with the UK plans (a realistic way of getting out of this hell) and then all this doom and gloom all over the media

It's not about wanting to go out for a pint, it's about having the right to live a proper life and not be locked away. We were told the vaccine was the saver but they have the excuses ready about 'supply and the shortages of staff to vaccinate' etc

MM with the new Variant been a new virus and Then Leo with his 4th wave talk, how are they getting away with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Vaccines are being rolled out and we know they work. But you know it will take time to get them rolled out and it will take time to get back to normal. Acting surprised every day that we're still in level 5, is childish. You're free to do it, but I don't think it will make you happier.

Acting surprised that we are in one of the strictest lock downs on the planet is childish?

We really are the most subservient people us Irish...and pious!

• Advertisement

Ive told you before - I am delighted you dont struggle paying your mortgage.

Its good not to be affected economically by restrictions and all power to you.

I frankly believe adopting your "lets wait and see approach" will result in us not having much to ease restrictions for. You do realize when thousands SMEs go out of business they dont come back because man on a telly says they can operate right?

I think we need to have an adult conversation here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭Allinall

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Sick of it all now

The pro lockdown people are praying things go belly up here and with the UK plans (a realistic way of getting out of this hell) and then all this doom and gloom all over the media

It's not about wanting to go out for a pint, it's about having the right to live a proper life and not be locked away. We were told the vaccine was the saver but they have the excuses ready about 'supply and the shortages of staff to vaccinate' etc

MM with the new Variant been a new virus and Then Leo with his 4th wave talk, how are they getting away with it

Haven't seen this said anywhere.

Could you show an example?

Do you think their percentage of population vaccinated has anything to do with them opening up?

Yes.

At the start of January, we had a handful of people vaccinated, thousands of cases a day, and level 5 restrictions.

Today, we have more people vaccinated than total cases since the start of the pandemic, hundreds of cases a day, and level 5 restrictions.

Do you not think that's reason enough to ease things a bit? Nothing drastic like, just lift the 5k, open construction, and allow a handful of people to gather outdoors socially.

Yes.

At the start of January, we had a handful of people vaccinated, thousands of cases a day, and level 5 restrictions.

Today, we have more people vaccinated than total cases since the start of the pandemic, hundreds of cases a day, and level 5 restrictions.

Do you not think that's reason enough to ease things a bit? Nothing drastic like, just lift the 5k, open construction, and allow a handful of people to gather outdoors socially.

5km cant be lifted- if it does evictions will sky rocket. Already discussed in another thread.

If they had a way of imposing eviction ban on economical grounds they would and we would not be the only country in EU with 5km restriction.

5km cant be lifted- if it does evictions will sky rocket. Already discussed in another thread.

If they had a way of imposing eviction ban on economical grounds they would and we would not be the only country in EU with 5km restriction.

Of all people to be making excuses for Government feckups I didn't think you'd be one. I'm getting worried!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

So what other EU country has shut down construction?

What other EU country has younger population than Ireland?

What other country has had over 20% unemployment on average per month for the last 11 months?

When you answer these questions you ll soon realize we are in a gutter. And 11 months on closing our ears and repeating "this is a cautious approach" is just not good enough.

I don't know the answer to the construction question, but I am going to assume the answer is we are the only country to close construction?

No country has a younger population than us. We have 33% under 25 and I think France are next in line with 30% under 25.

Spain are estimating an unemployment rate of 19%. Granted its not 20%, but its close!
    https://www.politico.eu/article/spain-predicts-coronavirus-covid19-unemployment-will-hit-19-percent/

Croatia has been very hard hit also and indeed across the Eurozone youth unemployment is going to a huge problem that needs addressing as part of the Covid19 recovery.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/commentisfree/2020/nov/11/europe-cant-afford-to-lose-another-generation-to-youth-unemployment

Once the vaccines do their job and variants don't screw things up we will all return to some sort or normality by late summer.

Of all people to be making excuses for Government feckups I didn't think you'd be one. I'm getting worried!

Not an excuse. Just stating facts.

I mean lets look at it honestly and logically, 5km shouldve been lifted yesterday. but it wasnt. it shouldve been at least extended to 10km or just within your country - but it wasnt.

There is a specific reason for that. Covid isnt gonna spread more if you can walk 5km or 10 km from your home. like where are you gonna go? beach? park? hardly covid hotspots.

There is something more to 5km than meets the eye.

And no - no excuses. it should be lifted ... its a disgrace. protests will start and then average Joe sitting at home eating dominos will complain about protesters driving up covid cases as he is putting on 10 - 20 - 30 extra KG. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I mean lets look at it honestly and logically, 5km shouldve been lifted yesterday.

Why should it have been lifted?

Also the eviction ban is directly connected to that limit incidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Compare what articles?

Ah the polls, polls are far from bull****, what a ridiculous generalisation to make, i read the same nonsense every time there is a political poll, always rubbished if it doesn't conform to their own narrative. They are the most reliable and scientific method we have of gauging public opinion but never mind you overheard someone in the supermarket

Or read from paddy green arse 769 on Twitter.

I don't know the answer to the construction question, but I am going to assume the answer is we are the only country to close construction?

No country has a younger population than us. We have 33% under 25 and I think France are next in line with 30% under 25.

Spain are estimating an unemployment rate of 19%. Granted its not 20%, but its close!
    https://www.politico.eu/article/spain-predicts-coronavirus-covid19-unemployment-will-hit-19-percent/

Croatia has been very hard hit also and indeed across the Eurozone youth unemployment is going to a huge problem that needs addressing as part of the Covid19 recovery.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/commentisfree/2020/nov/11/europe-cant-afford-to-lose-another-generation-to-youth-unemployment

Once the vaccines do their job and variants don't screw things up we will all return to some sort or normality by late summer.

Thank you. I do appreciate your honesty.

We are the only country in EU to
    1) shut down our construction
    2) have youngest population
    3) have strictest lockdown

I know you could predict this next part... covid tends to target elderly.

Do any of these make sense? no.

• Advertisement

Why should it have been lifted?

Also the eviction ban is directly connected to that limit incidentally.

Tin foil hat stuff isnt it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Tin foil hat stuff isnt it? :pac:

No. If 5km restriction is ended the eviction ban is ended too. The two are linked.

You haven't dealt with your justification for lifting it given our rate of incidence of disease.

Please do so...

Ive told you before - I am delighted you dont struggle paying your mortgage.

Its good not to be affected economically by restrictions and all power to you.

I frankly believe adopting your "lets wait and see approach" will result in us not having much to ease restrictions for. You do realize when thousands SMEs go out of business they dont come back because man on a telly says they can operate right?

I think we need to have an adult conversation here.

I don't know who you're mistaking me for - I don't have a mortgage.

Do you think you're leading an adult conversation on the topic? Pussing, whinging and acting surprised, several times a day, that we're still in level 5 after the government laid out it's plan which suggests we will be in level 5 for at least the next month. Adult conversation indeed.

Yes.

I don't pretend to have enough information to make that determination as anything other than a finger in the air judgement. Do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

No. If 5km restriction is ended the eviction ban is ended too. The two are linked.

You haven't dealt with your justification for lifting it given our rate of incidence of disease.

Please do so...

I saw this the other day by Gavin Reilly of Virgin News, he confirmed this is the case. The only reason for the 5k limit is to prevent evictions.

Got nothing to do with Tinfoil. :)

Please do so...

So I suppose given that our government are honest and hard working and serve the people well - they would not want to lift the 5km anytime soon? Like how could they possibly do that if it results in hundreds or thousands of people being pushed out to live on the streets?

bullvine wrote: »
    I saw this the other day by Gavin Reilly of Virgin News, he confirmed this is the case. The only reason for the 5k limit is to prevent evictions.

Got nothing to do with Tinfoil. :)

So if I go to a beach 7km from me - I wont get fined then right?

I don't know who you're mistaking me for - I don't have a mortgage.

Do you think you're leading an adult conversation on the topic? Pussing, whinging and acting surprised, several times a day, that we're still in level 5 after the government laid out it's plan which suggests we will be in level 5 for at least the next month. Adult conversation indeed.

Lucky you!!!

Does explain your relaxed attitude to lifting restrictions.

Ah shure whats another few weeks (months) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

So if I go to a beach 7km from me - I wont get fined then right?

Don't shoot the messenger, its what he said. I can post the tweet if you like.

I don't understand it myself but thats what he confirmed after Thursday press conference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Sick of it all now

If you or anyone else are "locked away" it is down to your own choice. These "locked away woe is me" rubbish claims are getting tired now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement