Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So I suppose given that our government are honest and hard working and serve the people well - they would not want to lift the 5km anytime soon? Like how could they possibly do that if it results in hundreds or thousands of people being pushed out to live on the streets?

You are the one who wants to do that. Not the government to my knowledge.

The level of incidence of the virus is too high currently to open anything yet you want them to magically wave away the 5km rule in advance and put potentially more pressure on those very people - when simultaneously the other restrictions remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I don't pretend to have enough information to make that determination as anything other than a finger in the air judgement. Do you?

I'm just asking what you think based on the data we have available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

bullvine wrote: »
    Don't shoot the messenger, its what he said. I can post the tweet if you like.

I don't understand it myself but thats what he confirmed after Thursday press conference.

Dont - I've seen the tweet.

Its quite clear that a lot of this has nothing to do with public health.

Imagine being stuck 5km within your home because if this limit increases or is removed hundreds will get evicted. Apparently we are going in the right direction here :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Thank you. I do appreciate your honesty.

We are the only country in EU to
    1) shut down our construction
    2) have youngest population
    3) have strictest lockdown

I know you could predict this next part... covid tends to target elderly.

Do any of these make sense? no.

We also had the highest case numbers in the world in early January.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-had-world-s-highest-covid-19-infection-rate-last-week-1.4455609

We are still trying to claw our way back from that awful situation. The current restrictions are a reflection of the need to get cases down to a manageable number.

It is my opinion with case numbers decreasing, albeit very slowly and vaccinations increasing, albeit very slowly, things are going to improve.

I think they might throw us a bone on April 5th as long as the numbers are good, but I don't expect alot.

I do think and hope, once the vaccines work and no variants screw things up, we will be looking alot better by late summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Dont - I've seen the tweet.

Its quite clear that a lot of this has nothing to do with public health.

Imagine being stuck 5km within your home because if this limit increases or is removed hundreds will get evicted. Apparently we are going in the right direction here :pac:

I laughed...

And yes I agree somewhat.

• Advertisement

W123-80's wrote: »
    We also had the highest case numbers in the world in early January.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-had-world-s-highest-covid-19-infection-rate-last-week-1.4455609

We are still trying to claw our way back from that awful situation. The current restrictions are a reflection of the need to get cases down to a manageable number.

It is my opinion with case numbers decreasing, albeit very slowly and vaccinations increasing, albeit very slowly, things are going to improve.

I think they might throw us a bone on April 5th as long as the numbers are good, but I don't expect alot.

I do think and hope, once the vaccines work and no variants screw things up, we will be looking alot better by late summer.

I have nothing against you as a poster, but that in bold is as sad as it gets.

Surely something can be done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

The difficulty with the 5km limit and its link by legislation to evictions indicates we cant move the 5km limit in early April with the majority of businesses closed.
    Those in rental difficulties and still out of work could face eviction if the limit is changed.
    That is a farcical situation.

Because the rationale appears to be that the strict lockdown is over if the 5km limit is adjusted.

As usual it appears that badly drafted legislation was passed without proper scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's in everyone's hands individually to abide by the rules and thus emerge faster from the situation.

It's in everyone's hands individually to abide by the rules and thus emerge faster from the situation.

Absolutely.

We are all in this together.

Next 2 weeks months years are crucial!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I. Listen.

I erm.

Fk you made me laugh actually. Listen your advice is bizarre and pointless as starting political party isnt an essential activity and last time I checked you dont start 1 over the internet. But damn that was funny :D

I have a bad feeling that if I tell you I can only go 5km from my home at any day you ll tell me "well you said you can walk 5km, you see at least you can walk that much"

Idont know whether to cry or laugh

We live in a democracy. That's how it works. Ranting and complaining in boards might mean you feel better but things still remain the same.

1. Contact your representatives.
    2. Run for office.
    3. Start your own party.

The order in which to do it.

Or just rant on boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Lucky you!!!

Does explain your relaxed attitude to lifting restrictions.

Ah shure whats another few weeks (months) :rolleyes:

Do you think you're leading an adult conversation on the topic? Pussing, whinging and acting surprised, several times a day, that we're still in level 5 after the government laid out it's plan which suggests we will be in level 5 for at least the next month. Adult conversation indeed.

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    We live in a democracy. That's how it works. Ranting and complaining in boards might mean you feel better but things still remain the same.

1. Contact your representatives.
    2. Run for office.
    3. Start your own party.

The order in which to do it.

Or just rant on boards

You are a just a bundle of false positive energy arent you <3<3<3

I dont remember in democracy people not being able to work or meet friends or relatives. I dont remember in democracy people getting a fine for visiting their parents or going alone to the beach. But maybe you have a link to the new democracy you are talking about?

Do you think you're leading an adult conversation on the topic? Pussing, whinging and acting surprised, several times a day, that we're still in level 5 after the government laid out it's plan which suggests we will be in level 5 for at least the next month. Adult conversation indeed.

Stop, stop. You are too positive.

I'm just asking what you think based on the data we have available.

Based on the information that I have i would wait for more data. But neither of us have the information available to the people making the decisions. And neither of us have to make any decisions.

Generally speaking, the restrictions you mentioned are part of a suite of measures to get, and keep, transmissions down. You could probably remove one or two of them and have little impact. The restrictions work together to get the numbers low so they can start relaxing restrictions together.

Stop, stop. You are too positive.

Ah come on, I this more of you leading an adult conversation about the topic? You said a couple of pages ago that you're not sure if things will ever be fine again. You might be the most negative poster on the topic

Is that the reality or not (that we will be in level 5 for at least the next month)?

Just a turn of phrase to be honest.

I could rephrase it to say;
    'If the numbers are looking good by April 5th and the vaccination roll-out is moving along nicely there may be an opportunity for the government to ease some restrictions. If this scenario does manifest itself, and I hope it does, I don't expect to see any major changes'

This is gonna be a tough slog and whilst the old mantra of 'just 2 more months' seems overused at this point, it hasn't been used in the context of a global vaccination programme before.

So assuming the vaccines work and variants don't mess things up we are in the right track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

So let me get this straight!!

We have a public health restriction in the 5k limit which has nothing to do with public health?

Literally nothing?

No offence or anything but does this not completely play into the hands of the people labelled "nutters" who claim they are using the pandemic as an excuse to impinge on your rights as a citizen?

Like surely they have to do something here or can do something, i mean am, genuinely why??

I mean the amount of people who ive heard saying "god even if they removed the 5k restriction it would be something" is unreal, im one myself to be honest.

Like surely this has the potential to be a quick win for the government etc but they dont actually seem bothered or am i missing something?

Genuine question by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Ah come on, I this more of you leading an adult conversation about the topic? You said a couple of pages ago that you're not sure if things will ever be fine again. You might be the most negative poster on the topic

Is that the reality or not (that we will be in level 5 for at least the next month)?

Do you actually take anything this poster states seriously? Very foolish of you if you do.

the kelt wrote: »

We have a public health restriction in the 5k limit which has nothing to do with public health?

Literally nothing?

No offence or anything but does this not completely play into the hands of the people labelled "nutters" who claim they are using the pandemic as an excuse to impinge on your rights as a citizen?

Like surely they have to do something here or can do something, i mean am, genuinely why??

I mean the amount of people who ive heard saying "god even if they removed the 5k restriction it would be something" is unreal, im one myself to be honest.

Like surely this has the potential to be a quick win for the government etc but they dont actually seem bothered or am i missing something?

Dont expect many answers. Lockdown supporters will be here any minute telling you restrictions are necessary to get the numbers down as the man from the gubberment said on the telly yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭josip

When will things go back to normal?

With vaccines now available will we be here In January 2022 with covid dominating the news headlines? I would love to know.

Things definitely getting back to normal around here.
    The house across the street is being renovated; plumber, electrician and alarm guys all in there today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Based on the information that I have i would wait for more data. But neither of us have the information available to the people making the decisions. And neither of us have to make any decisions.

Generally speaking, the restrictions you mentioned are part of a suite of measures to get, and keep, transmissions down. You could probably remove one or two of them and have little impact. The restrictions work together to get the numbers low so they can start relaxing restrictions together.

Fair enough. I personally think outdoors activities would be low enough risk for us to push on with them but what you're saying is logical too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

the kelt wrote: »

Literally nothing?

I refuse to believe it...it is that bonkers!!!

It's as dumb as saying we can't lift the 5km because that would mean we have to change the signage and ads and we have them everywhere!!!

Mind you, this is Ireland....

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

If you or anyone else are "locked away" it is down to your own choice. These "locked away woe is me" rubbish claims are getting tired now.

Not being allowed to travel beyond 5km is locked away, especially in rural areas - some people can't even get out for a safe walk as its all roads with new footpaths within a 5k radius.

For people living in cities, 5km will probably mean they can see friends & family or at least neighbours, access decent shops etc but may have no access to decent outdoor spaces.

FWIW - the North refused to implement a legal distance on travel for exercise (Guidance states 10miles) - as it would have too much of an effect in rural dwellers, and that they consider it perfectly reasonable for someone working during the day to travel to somewhere safe with street lights to go for a walk.

I consider not being allowed to work or WFH only and not being allowed to see any other person socially as being locked away, not being able to do essentially do anything enjoyable, as being locked away.

I see a garda checkpoint almost every time i leave the house.

I don't see how anyone can consider us as not being locked away.

Most days, i see my husband and that's it, I haven't seen a single other known person in 2021, as none live within 10km of me. I rarely leave the house as I WFH, get shopping delivered etc, so that is locked away. Yes, i go for a stupid daily walk, but walking around a town doesn't help much - can't stand the noise of traffic when out for a walk.

There is a lovely 8km lake walk 7km away from me, that i used to go to once a week which is now out of bounds.

Living under serious restrictions is not living, its existing

Fair enough. I personally think outdoors activities would be low enough risk for us to push on with them but what you're saying is logical too.

Yeah I think that's true. Outdoor mixing with small groups and few households, would be on the lower end of the risk spectrum. And I imagine outdoor mixing will be among the first things to be allowed when restrictions are loosened.

Dont expect many answers. Lockdown supporters will be here any minute telling you restrictions are necessary to get the numbers down as the man from the gubberment said on the telly yesterday.

I genuinely don't understand this statement?
    Of course restrictions are necessary to get numbers down, we had the highest case numbers on the planet only 7 weeks ago!
    That's just a fact :confused:

I totally get your frustration, but to suggest that restrictions are not necessary to reduce the highest case numbers in the world simply makes no sense whatsoever.

One thing you should consider when reading my posts, and I don't speak for anyone else on here, is I am not a fan of lockdown, in any way, shape or form.
    It is my opinion however, in light of the absolute hammering we took in early January that these restrictions are needed to reduce case numbers.

Its horrible buts its reality.

Once vaccinations speed up and assuming there is no efficacy issue and/or tricky variants we will hopefully be looking alot better by end of the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

You are a just a bundle of false positive energy arent you <3<3<3

I dont remember in democracy people not being able to work or meet friends or relatives. I dont remember in democracy people getting a fine for visiting their parents or going alone to the beach. But maybe you have a link to the new democracy you are talking about?

You don't remember the things you remember?

A paradox wrapped in an enigma.

Of course restrictions are necessary to get numbers down, we had the highest case numbers on the planet only 7 weeks ago!

I totally get your frustration, but to suggest that restrictions are not necessary to reduce the highest case numbers in the world simply makes no sense whatsoever.

One thing you should consider when reading my posts, and I don't speak for anyone else on here, is I am not a fan of lockdown, in any way shape of form.
    It is my opinion however, in light of the absolute hammering we took in early January that these restrictions are needed to reduce case numbers.

Once vaccinations speed up and assuming there is no efficacy issue and/or tricky variants we will hopefully be looking alot better by end of the summer.

I agree with this sentiment. I haven't come across anyone who is actually "pro-lockdown". One poster said they are pro lockdown and they never enjoyed going out, even in college. I think we can assume that there might be a tiny fraction of the population who are either neutral or pro lockdown. But this came up in the pubs thread too. Anyone who thought the pubs should not be open in November and December were deemed "anti-drink".

It doesn't make sense, but if we can tell anything from the posters behaviour in these threads, lots of people aren't thinking rationally at the moment. One poster even said they don't know if things will ever be fine again. That's a sure sign of thinking irrationally

Why should it have been lifted?

Also the eviction ban is directly connected to that limit incidentally.

How are they?

One thing you should consider when reading my posts, and I don't speak for anyone else on here, is I am not a fan of lockdown, in any way, shape or form.

So why were there so few cases in July 2020? when there were really no restrictions.

And trust me you are one of the better posters here to discuss things with.

• Advertisement

I agree with this sentiment. I haven't come across anyone who is actually "pro-lockdown". One poster said they are pro lockdown and they never enjoyed going out, even in college. I think we can assume that there might be a tiny fraction of the population who are either neutral or pro lockdown. But this came up in the pubs thread too. Anyone who thought the pubs should not be open in November and December were deemed "anti-drink".

It doesn't make sense, but if we can tell anything from the posters behaviour in these threads, lots of people aren't thinking rationally at the moment. One poster even said they don't know if things will ever be fine again. That's a sure sign of thinking irrationally

I have 3 young kids and a mortgage to pay. I love a few pints. That's one of the simple things I miss most. I spent 7 months on the PUP.
    I am not a lockdown fan.

I think on April 5th, assuming numbers are good there might be some less riskier restrictions that could potentially be lifted, but thats as good as it gets for now.

I said it in a previous post, the narrative of lifting restrictions is now, for the first time, being discussed in the context of a global vaccination programme. That is a situation that is not comparable to any of the previous lockdowns.
    Easing restrictions now makes no sense in that context.

It's a tough road ahead, but assuming vaccinations work and there are no troublesome variants, we are going to make it.

The end game is in sight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement