Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    :

We're discussing Covid

Not teenage suicides

Yes, that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Throw up the numbers of teenage suicides there will you, since you are worried about the kids and all.

Or do dead children only count if they had covid when they passed?

Only Covid deaths matter sure :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Scotty # wrote: »
    Actually the worrying thing is that you and people like you don't. When we'd run out of ventilators and ICU beds after the first month and 20,000 a week were still being infected what do you think would have happened?

You've shown throughout the thread that you are completely unwilling to accept the reality.

The reality is, as was shown at the very start of all this by the prediction models, which have been shown to be highly accurate, that if we were to do nothing, 85,000 to 140,000 people in Ireland would have died in the first year. Instead only a mere 4,200 have succumbed to the virus. Why is that? It's because of lockdown. Don't come back with some bollix that it's no more than a cold... every ICU in the world has struggled to cope. It's a far cry from a cold or flu.

The reality also is, if the gov had listened to NPHET instead of people like yourself and locked down before Christmas when they were being advised to, the numbers would not have been nearly as bad in January and we most likely would be well out of lockdown now. This is also exactly the reason why they're not going to be in any hurry whatsoever to ease restrictions this time. Once bitten and all that...

The reality also is, we presently have 157people in ICU, that's MORE than we had in ICU at the peak of the first lockdown. Still over 650 in hospital.

You've mentioned your mental health... you've posted a whopping 3,200 times in the last 9 months almost exclusively on Covid. You've posted 75+ times on this thread in the last day ffs! You're not doing your yourself any favours! Take a break! Find something else to occupy your mind for a bit.

Funniest shi* I read. you cheered me up big time. Govt will have your vote :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Actually the worrying thing is that you and people like you don't. When we'd run out of ventilators and ICU beds after the first month and 20,000 a week were still being infected what do you think would have happened?

You've shown throughout the thread that you are completely unwilling to accept the reality.

The reality is, as was shown at the very start of all this by the prediction models, which have been shown to be highly accurate, that if we were to do nothing, 85,000 to 140,000 people in Ireland would have died in the first year. Instead only a mere 4,200 have succumbed to the virus. Why is that? It's because of lockdown. Don't come back with some bollix that it's no more than a cold... every ICU in the world has struggled to cope. It's a far cry from a cold or flu.

The reality also is, if the gov had listened to NPHET instead of people like yourself and locked down before Christmas when they were being advised to, the numbers would not have been nearly as bad in January and we most likely would be well out of lockdown now. This is also exactly the reason why they're not going to be in any hurry whatsoever to ease restrictions this time. Once bitten and all that...

The reality also is, we presently have 157people in ICU, that's MORE than we had in ICU at the peak of the first lockdown. Still over 650 in hospital.

You've mentioned your mental health... you've posted a whopping 3,200 times in the last 9 months almost exclusively on Covid. You've posted 75+ times on this thread in the last day ffs! You're not doing your yourself any favours! Take a break! Find something else to occupy your mind for a bit.

You must be referring to the data on Covid deaths from Imperial in the UK. Well they basically assumed everyone had the same risk which was unbelievable stupid and unscientific. Crap data in = crap data out, and here we are, locked down for a year due to the hysteria from a terrible model, headed up by a man who has been wrong on many occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

:confused:

Your "argument" is totally reductive

We're discussing Covid

Not teenage suicides

Kinda one of the big issues there don’t ye think.

We are discussing COVID so no other death seems to count but par for the course in this “new normal”

Die with COVID and it’s oh my god what can we do, we must do more.

Die from anything else, meh! (Even suicide now apparently is just Meh)

Depression, feeling suicidal maybe! Do you have COVID? no! Ok,Meh, just watch Netflix, do a jerusalema dance with your buddies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Funniest shi* I read. you cheered me up big time.
    Glad to hear it. Chin up, you'll be back pullin' pints in no time.

Vaccines don't give immunity. We've been through this.

Uh. Yeah they do.

Aph2016 wrote: »
    You must be referring to the data on Covid deaths from Imperial in the UK. Well they basically assumed everyone had the same risk which was unbelievable stupid and unscientific. Crap data in = crap data out, and here we are, locked down for a year due to the hysteria from a terrible model, headed up by a man who has been wrong on many occasions.

250,000 deaths have been avoided through our lockdown alone.

If you smoke enough weed that is.

The reality is, as was shown at the very start of all this by the prediction models, which have been shown to be highly accurate, that if we were to do nothing, 85,000 to 140,000 people in Ireland would have died in the first year.

The reality also is, if the gov had listened to NPHET instead of people like yourself and locked down before Christmas when they were being advised to, the numbers would not have been nearly as bad in January and we most likely would be well out of lockdown now

:D:D:D

Seriously where were you yesterday? You shouldve been posted immediately after that tripe of a speech, you have talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

bluelamp wrote: »
    I don't even understand the zero covid argument anymore tbh.

Shut down the borders, reach zero covid, then what? Keep our borders closed for the rest of our lives?

Same with the variants - Close our borders, keep the variants out, then what?

There's also nothing stopping an Irish variant.

The only way out of restrictions in my opinion is to accept that this is just one of many illnesses, that will unfortunately cause some death in the world. The UK seem to have copped on to this.

If vaccination doesn't prove to be the solution we hope it will be, I don't see what other option we have other than to accept that this thing is sticking around unfortunately.

Entirely agree - I simply can't even begin to comprehend why anyone is even thinking about zero covid, this is an endemic virus end of story. Zero Covid is a pipedream unless you are prepared to entirely close your borders, quarantine all goods and people bringing in the goods for 14 days and I literally mean no one gets into the country without 14 day locked up quarantine. You also have to close the NI border entirely, no one can cross without a 14 day enforced quarantine and then probably invoke a hard lockdown in Ireland where everyone is confined to their homes for 14 days. Then you might get close but unless every other country does this in the world you won't ever be able to open your borders again and that includes the North...............

Anyone talking about Zero Covid anymore as a realistic option is a fool.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭iagreebut

The good thing about this lockdown is the fact that all the big musicians and artists have Amazon, YouTube and Spotify amongst other platforms to thank for enabling us to listen to their music, the home shopping that enables us to get our products straight to the door, the artists must be delighted.

There's also a big whoop to the government for giving civil servants a well deserved pay rise.
    They're the real heroes.
    At home working hard, administration procurement and logistics helping us all get through this awful time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

What a question!!!

Every social outlet is taken away from people and some think, what's the problem?

Ask yourself what type of people would be asking this ?

computer%20garage%20sm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

:confused:

Your "argument" is totally reductive

We're discussing Covid

Not teenage suicides
    You made a totally asinine post that shamelessly tried to use the death of one young person to make some sort of point about young people being at risk from Covid. It was this post here, since you seem to have forgotten it:
    "Sure it's only old people that are dying, once they're all vaccinated we can open up and it'll be grand"

Of the 56 deaths reported today
    • Median age: 82
    • Age range: 16 - 97
    Totally shameless, and now you want to pretend that you don't get the relationship between one kid dying with covid and the dozens of kids dying from suicide as a direct result of the restrictions imposed over the past 9 months.

The problem with people like you is that you don't have the balls or integrity to think through all the implications. Its possible that a minute number of kids could die from covid so we have to lock it all down, but lets conveniently ignore the higher number of deaths that such a lockdown will cause.

And when called on it just feign ignorance. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

I'd say it's a a damn sight lower than the 85,000 people we were expected to lose had we ignored Covid.

That's firstly based on an estimation that may or may not have occurred. The number of suicides regardless of the amount is factual not imaginary at this point. They are actual humans that have died, you cannot prove it would of been 85k deaths only guess (experts or not its a guess). BTW i wear my mask, social distance etc. so not against what is required but it needs to come with levels of acceptance.

W123-80's wrote: »
    Its the cautious approach.

We are not the only country taking a cautious approach.
    About an hour ago on this very thread someone mentioned Israel re-implementing a curfew for a religious holiday festival they have this weekend. Despite them having one of the most successful vaccination roll-outs worldwide and far lower case numbers.

We need to get the numbers down before we can look to ease restrictions.

Impossible to get the numbers that low for an endemic virus , it's unachievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Lockdowns are a load of ****ing ****e. Sweden only country in the world with their heads switched on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

iagreebut wrote: »
    The good thing about this lockdown is the fact that all the big musicians and artists have Amazon, YouTube and Spotify amongst other platforms to thank for enabling us to listen to their music, the home shopping that enables us to get our products straight to the door, the artists must be delighted.

There's also a big whoop to the government for giving civil servants a well deserved pay rise.
    They're the real heroes.
    At home working hard, administration procurement and logistics helping us all get through this awful time.

You’re on a wind up surely.

You made a totally asinine post that shamelessly tried to use the death of one young person to make some sort of point about young people being at risk from Covid. It was this post here, since you seem to have forgotten it:

Totally shameless, and now you want to pretend that you don't get the relationship between one kid dying with covid and the dozens of kids dying from suicide as a direct result of the restrictions imposed over the past 9 months.

The problem with people like you is that you don't have the balls or integrity to think through all the implications. Its possible that a minute number of kids could die from covid so we have to lock it all down, but lets conveniently ignore the higher number of deaths that such a lockdown will cause.

And when called on it just feign ignorance. :rolleyes:

No children should be dying due to covid or suicide.
    Parents need to keep an eye on their children, I myself have a son and he went through bad anxiety disorders in his teens.
    I got him to a really good psychotherapist and he's a changed man now.
    I got in there early and since he was young he was very emotionally intelligent and I told him how life can be hard growing up and I'd tell him if I was having a bad day I think him experiencing his dad opening up helped him understand that it's ok to be stressed out.
    But there's help out there.

I do think the government are doing a great job with the covid virus.

But I think they're lacking lustre for the metal health for adults and children, there should be free therapy and access to zoom appointments with qualified therapists.
    Not your wishy-washy therapist who did a 12 week course, but someone with a PhD or doctorate in social sciences.

That's an area where I think they are lacking, even before the pandemic there was no free resources for the treatment of anxiety and depression.

One phone chat could plant a seed for someone who's struggling with their mental health.

I suffered with general anxiety disorder, but I got the right help and to get a good therapist it's anything up to 100 Euro and hour+

But that doesn't offer full protection. The vaccine will not eradicate Covid. The same roadmap also says they hope that covid deaths in the UK next year are as low as 30,000.

Wait ... even after full vaccination they still want to have restrictions ?

So basically this is going to last forever ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Why wouldn't they...they've found a cure for our annual trolley crisis!!!

• Advertisement

Parachutes wrote: »
    You’re on a wind up surely.

No I'm serious I think that we were spending far too much money on CDs and 12 Inch records and these companies like Spotify, Amazon and YouTube are a God send.

I have a great collection of records and CDs and tapes going to the early 80's and since Spotify and YouTube came along there's no need.
    I spent an absolute fortune on Denon and Cambridge audio cd players and I've 5 Technics decks...

All I need now is Spotify and a mixer speakers and amplifier..with WiFi...

Saved a fortune in the last few years.

9.99 a month and

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

It's not - it would be politically and financially impossible to keep a lockdown in place once everyone is vaccinated; not too mention pointless given deaths and ICU cases will bottom out in the next 2-3 months. "Restrictions" could mean anything such as airlines making passengers wear masks for some flights, which would not really be a chore moving forward.

The whole "this will never end" brigade are (almost) as intensely stupid as the "open up yesterday" brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

Every death is a tragedy for the family involved. Don't drag this thread into a which death is more serious.

There is a thread on Mental Health where some of the more recent poster here can expand on this discussion.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058062109

It's going to be the new normal, no more music festivals, raves, electronic music gigs and yoga weekenders for year's to come.

My Liberal friend's are accepting that the party is over and getting more into organic farming and sustainability.
    They'll miss their drumming weekends the most and annual 3 week holidays in Thailand and Vietnam.

It's all for the greater good, acceptence is the answer.

Maybe some day science will find how to eradicate the virus, something like prep that stops the HIV virus from infecting people could be a possibility.

Other than that I'm afraid that it's looking like covid is going to be here for the foreseeable future, unless we have one more lockdown event and close up the country for at least a year.
    Test everyone in the country periodically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It's going to be the new normal, no more music festivals, raves, electronic music gigs and yoga weekenders for year's to come.

My Liberal friend's are accepting that the party is over and getting more into organic farming and sustainability.
    They'll miss their drumming weekends the most and annual 3 week holidays in Thailand and Vietnam.

Maybe some day science will find how to eradicate the virus, something like prep that stops the HIV virus from infecting people could be a possibility.

Other than that I'm afraid that it's looking like covid is going to be here for the foreseeable future, unless we have one more lockdown event and close up the country for at least a year.

Take a break from the internet bro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭dublin_paul

Seek help

EDIT: This post was needlessly curt and insensitive

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

It's not - it would be politically and financially impossible to keep a lockdown in place once everyone is vaccinated; not too mention pointless given deaths and ICU cases will bottom out in the next 2-3 months. "Restrictions" could mean anything such as airlines making passengers wear masks for some flights, which would not really be a chore moving forward.

The whole "this will never end" brigade are (almost) as intensely stupid as the "open up yesterday" brigade.

Aren't these exactly the same people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Take a break from the internet bro

He might if people stop feeding .

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

the kelt wrote: »
    Kinda one of the big issues there don’t ye think.

We are discussing COVID so no other death seems to count but par for the course in this “new normal”

Die with COVID and it’s oh my god what can we do, we must do more.

Die from anything else, meh! (Even suicide now apparently is just Meh)

Depression, feeling suicidal maybe! Do you have COVID? no! Ok,Meh, just watch Netflix, do a jerusalema dance with your buddies.

Do you have any evidence to support your assertion of mass suicide, or is it just more doom mongering?

• Advertisement

Seek help

Exactly seek help, we're all responsible for our own health and wellness.

You're very clever and you simplified which I complicated.

If we're not feeling well we seek help.

Dublin Paul I appreciate your feedback.
    Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement