Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Do you have any evidence to support your assertion of mass suicide, or is it just more doom mongering?

Where did you see mass suicide in the comment you responded too? I missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Impossible to get the numbers that low for an endemic virus , it's unachievable.
    How low? Genuine question.
    I didn't mention a figure. I just started my opinion that restrictions need to remain in place in order to get the current numbers under control before any major easimg of restrictions.

We are opening the schools next week at case numbers that Germany are currently refusing to open the schools.
    Germany won't open the schools until case numbers are at least 50 per 100k of population over a 7 day period.
    We are not at that.

I agree it's endemic.
    I also think restrictions need to remain in place to keep control on cases as the vaccination programme gains momentum.

We are nearly there. Assuming the vaccines are effective and variants don't upset the Apple cart we will be in a good place by the end of the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭dublin_paul

iagreebut wrote: »
    Exactly seek help, we're all responsible for our own health and wellness.

You're very clever and you simplified which I complicated.

If we're not feeling well we seek help.

Dublin Paul I appreciate your feedback.
    Thanks

Yes, what you said for sure. Your post is alarming, you say describe a very grim world which is far removed from reality. What you say simply isn't true, the restrictions will largely be dropped soon enough and the world will return to what it is usually like. Lockdowns are hard and things seem endless right now, but try to stay positive and keep your feet on the ground. We'll get back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Do you have any evidence to support your assertion of mass suicide, or is it just more doom mongering?

Not once in that post is there any assertation of "mass suicide".

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

Not once in that post is there any assertation of "mass suicide".

You and several other posters seem to think that the lockdowns have caused teen suicides. Do you have any evidence at all that would support that, or is it complete fantasy like most of the other bull in this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭iagreebut

Yes, what you said for sure. Your post is alarming, you say describe a very grim world which is far removed from reality. What you say simply isn't true, the restrictions will largely be dropped soon enough and the world will return to what it is usually like. Lockdowns are hard and things seem endless right now, but try to stay positive and keep your feet on the ground. We'll get back to normal.

I'm going to give this a break for a while, I'm not trying to alarm anyone I'm trying to be honest with the facts presented to me on a daily basis.

And I'm sorry if my post's are grim.
    I do hope to get back to normal, I'd love to get back to music festivals, get my tattoo sleeves finished and have deep house music party's in the arse hole of somewhere.
    Or In a big top tent or Venu in Cork City the home of house music in Ireland.

I'd love to be in the front door in Galway on a Friday night or having a drink outside the Stag's head in Dublin, sitting outside Egan's in Liscannor, eating seafood at
    Linannes seafood restaurant in Newquay Co Clare.
    Fishing for mackerel off the rocks in Kerry or for bass of Inch beach..

I am an avid surfer, I'd spend weekend s in Lahinch staying with friends in a holiday home in Doolin.

Climbing a mountain in Kerry...

But what the government and NEPHT are presenting to us is pretty grim and they're giving nobody the answers we want...

Anyhow Paul I do hope this goes away like the Spanish flu did I really do.

And thanks to ye who suggest I take a break,I'm sure I've said enough.

Enjoy the rest of your week we everyone.

You and several other posters seem to think that the lockdowns have caused teen suicides. Do you have any evidence at all that would support that, or is it complete fantasy like most of the other bull in this thread?

You are claiming a poster made mention of mass suicides, when asked for evidence of claim strangely silent? Just deflect elsewhere. Making up stuff and attributing to another poster is very bad form tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭dublin_paul

iagreebut wrote: »
    I'm going to give this a break for a while, I'm not trying to alarm anyone I'm trying to be honest with the facts presented to me on a daily basis.

And I'm sorry if my post's are grim.
    I do hope to get back to normal, I'd love to get back to music festivals, get my tattoo sleeves finished and have deep house music party's in the arse hole of somewhere.
    Or In a big top tent or Venu in Cork City the home of house music in Ireland.

I'd love to be in the front door in Galway on a Friday night or having a drink outside the Stag's head in Dublin, sitting outside Egan's in Liscannor, eating seafood at
    Linannes seafood restaurant in Newquay Co Clare.
    Fishing for mackerel off the rocks in Kerry or for bass of Inch beach..

I am an avid surfer, I'd spend weekend s in Lahinch staying with friends in a holiday home in Doolin.

Climbing a mountain in Kerry...

But what the government and NEPHT are presenting to us is pretty grim and they're giving nobody the answers we want...

Anyhow Paul I do hope this goes away like the Spanish flu did I really do.

And thanks to ye who suggest I take a break,I'm sure I've said enough.

Enjoy the rest of your week we everyone.

I read your reply a few times and I sympathize. If I consumed media and boards posts too much for a few days/weeks then my perception of the future would deteriorate also. There are few positive aspects these days, we've been assaulted with sad news and "doomer" theories for the past year. But there are positive aspects that disprove the doom & gloom opinions of the future. This thing has lasted too long already, and it'll last too long more, but it'll clear up with vax and infection control.

We've been able to uphold lockdowns due to our ability to prop up the economy, and we can only prop it up so much. Luckily, vaccines are here and working very well. Our only problem is supply, which will be resolved in time (and not too much time). This coincides nicely with the publics weakening resolve and our SME economy's ability to "hold the line" while continuing to see their businesses be destroyed. England are shooting for this to be the final lockdown, and we're (predictably) imitating them.

Even today I was reading of a few festivals in England that are set to go ahead this summer. Silver linings!

I am also a hiker, and I loved my trips to Lahinch for surfing, we'll do it again. And it won't be too long. Have a great weekend and try to stay away from media/boards/social media. I will too :)

You are claiming a poster made mention of mass suicides, when asked for evidence of claim strangely silent? Just deflect elsewhere. Making up stuff and attributing to another poster is very bad form tbh.

What's bad form is downplaying of the death of a sixteen year old, by pushing out doom monger rhetoric about teen suicides caused by lockdown without a shred of evidence of any such phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

You seeing things or just a little bit thick?

• Advertisement

the kelt wrote: »
    You seeing things or just a little bit thick?

So it's just doom mongering then? Usual stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

So it's just doom mongering then? Usual stuff.

Ok so just a bit thick, fair enough.

I thought you were seeing things there for a minute, ye could have been coming down with something!

Tell the truth now, did you stray further than 5k today, that can be lethal ye know, did ye buy something non essential whilst your were out there.

You didn’t get your hair cut now or anything?

Lack of taste and seeing things that aren’t there are signs ye know!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    What has you so rattled? What are the restrictions restricting you from doing?

Two posts from today that sum up just why the government are able to act so incompetently without any real pushback, how could things be any different when attitudes such as these exist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

It's not - it would be politically and financially impossible to keep a lockdown in place once everyone is vaccinated; not too mention pointless given deaths and ICU cases will bottom out in the next 2-3 months. "Restrictions" could mean anything such as airlines making passengers wear masks for some flights, which would not really be a chore moving forward.

The whole "this will never end" brigade are (almost) as intensely stupid as the "open up yesterday" brigade.

I agree, but where is this logic of more lockdowns every winter ?
    What point in vaccination do they stop lockdowns ?
    I ask what is the logic of restrictions in the UK when presumably they will have close to 100% vaccination ...

People say "The vaccine doesn't provide full protection"

OK, so therefore if vaccines dont and there is full vaccination what excuse can they use to keep moving with rolling lockdowns/restrictions ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I agree, but where is this logic of more lockdowns every winter ?
    What point in vaccination do they stop lockdowns ?
    I ask what is the logic of restrictions in the UK when presumably they will have close to 100% vaccination ...

People say "The vaccine doesn't provide full protection"

OK, so therefore if vaccines dont and there is full vaccination what excuse can they use to keep moving with rolling lockdowns/restrictions ?
    Hector you can read the full text of the UK roadmap here > https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-response-spring-2021

They're not expecting to go into full lockdown every winter but they are warning that there may be a need for social distancing and masks during winter months. They also explain there may be a need for local lockdowns from time to time.

They expect full vaccination to result in a 75% drop in covid. Which unfortunately will still mean 30,000 deaths per year in the UK. I'm not sure how this compares to other diseases on a yearly basis.

Someone described it yesterday as UK Herd Immunity 2.0 and I think it's a good description. They're not trying to eradicate covid, they're trying to get to a place where they can live with it. It's probably going to take several years to iron out all the creases.

What's bad form is downplaying of the death of a sixteen year old, by pushing out doom monger rhetoric about teen suicides caused by lockdown without a shred of evidence of any such phenomenon.

The point is that the death of a sixteen-year-old is tragic in any event. But highlighting it in the way you did made it seem like you were trying to make a point or draw some sort of conclusion about Covid affecting young people that simply isn't there. We don't know anything about that sixteen-year-old. We don't know if they were jumping around to Kpop beats a few weeks ago or if they happened to catch nosocomial Covid while in hospital after a long battle with terminal cancer. What we do know is that death from Covid in someone that young are very, very rare. Rarer in fact than deaths from the flu are in the same demographic.

By comparison, it seems that suicide rates are set to rise. It's a difficult thing to assess since there is a delay in statistics being available (Ireland's 2020 figures won't be available until 2021 Edit: early 2022, for example). The indications we have are that suicides decreased during the early part of the pandemic and have increased since. No comparison between demographics is available, but mental health experts suspect that the balance of suicides will have tipped younger since the things that lead older people to suicide (financial pressure and so on) will have been less pronounced, with lots of people being in the same boat, while things that lead younger people to suicide (social isolation, concerns about education and so on) have gotten worse. Helplines have seen a massive increase in calls, which often precedes an increase in suicide, and we are well aware that we likely have some economic hardship to come (which leads to a rise in suicide).

We already have one of the highest suicide rates in Europe. So yeah, if "young people are dying of Covid" is used as a reason to continue restrictions at their current level, then "it is likely that more people will die as a result of the restrictions" is an obvious counter and one that ought not be dismissed as though it were nothing.

In any case, thoughts with the family of that poor kid. Devastating ordeal, regardless.

Again you claimed a poster claimed mass suicides, are you going to address the claim you made up or continue to deflect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

such as airlines making passengers wear masks for some flights, which would not really be a chore moving forward.
    Yes it most certainly would. It would be incredibly, incredibly wrong. Just as it is now to force people to wear these rags.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Yes it most certainly would. It would be incredibly, incredibly wrong. Just as it is now to force people to wear these rags.

You were calling them "stupid gas masks" previously. When did they become rags?

Anyway whatever you call them as usual you are completely mistaken no matter what the boys in the North tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    "Sure it's only old people that are dying, once they're all vaccinated we can open up and it'll be grand"

Of the 56 deaths reported today
    • Median age: 82
    • Age range: 16 - 97

Spoof merchant. Have you heard of the word context before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

You were calling them "stupid gas masks" previously.
    And I stand by it. They don't work, never have worked, and can never work. It's not my responsibility to wear something to make the hard of thinking feel better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I'd like to see you saying that to the parents of the 16 year old.
    Spoof merchant. Have you heard of the word context before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,491 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

johnire wrote: »

Did you know a 16 year old died in 2019 of the flu in Ireland?

Only found that out tonight.

Unfortunately it seems viruses have and will always kill people of all ages and covid will be no different.

Like I say have this conversation with the parents of the deceased.
    Did you know a 16 year old died in 2019 of the flu in Ireland?

Only found that out tonight.

Unfortunately it seems viruses have and will always kill people of all ages.

Like I say have this conversation with the parents of the deceased.

What???

I'm just telling you a bit of information.

What has me telling the parents of that poor lad who died anything to do with this.

You are making this more of an issue about the parents than need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bells of shandon

I hope the Lockdown keeps going for a long time. I am at home and still getting paid as I am a Civil servant,
    This break on full pay and recent 1% payrise is a deserved break from my usual long traffic journey each day into the centre of Dublin.
    I have had time to re-decorate and do all the outstanding little jobs around the house.
    I am kept busy in the garden with the planting season upon us, and look forward to a good crop of spuds this year.
    I have a long list of books on my 'must read' list,so no chance of getting bored.
    Cannot understand people complaining of boredom and stress.
    Creativity is the secret of attaining peace of mind,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭MOR316

What???

I'm just telling you a bit of information.

What has me telling the parents of that poor lad who died anything to do with this.

You are making this more of an issue about the parents than need be.

It has nothing to do with it.

It's classic defence mechanism 101. See it all the time when one doesn't have a good argument to put forward. They try to make the other person feel bad so they in turn, feel good about themselves

God bless the young lad though and his family

I hope the Lockdown keeps going for a long time. I am at home and still getting paid as I am a Civil servant,
    This break on full pay and recent 1% payrise is a deserved break from my usual long traffic journey each day into the centre of Dublin.
    I have had time to re-decorate and do all the outstanding little jobs around the house.
    I am kept busy in the garden with the planting season upon us, and look forward to a good crop of spuds this year.
    I have a long list of books on my 'must read' list,so no chance of getting bored.
    Cannot understand people complaining of boredom and stress.
    Creativity is the secret of attaining peace of mind,

0/10.

Aren't there some thoroughly nasty people who contribute to this particular forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

Oh get a grip. People are going to die of this disease and there's nothing anyone in the country can do about it. It's unfortunate but unless you live in a bubble, people die every single day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement