Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Risteard81 wrote: »
    And I stand by it. They don't work, never have worked, and can never work. It's not my responsibility to wear something to make the hard of thinking feel better.

Evidence for this stupidity would be welcome. Also, there's no side effects of wearing masks so I dont know what your problem is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Kavanagh's pub on New Street are serving pints again!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-say-they-are-powerless-to-intervene-to-stop-a-dublin-pub-that-will-begin-serving-takeaway-pints-40128947.html

“We have always been compliant with & very mindful of public health advice but after almost a full year of little or no trade it’s very evident that we’re NOT ‘All in this together.
    “We will no longer be going along with Mehole’s asking of us not to sell takeaway pints."

ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Who said we’ll get to full vaccination? I haven’t heard anyone suggest we’ll get to full vaccination, have you?

I know we have some anti (coved) vaxers. People who think they’re far too clever to take the vaccine. We have others who will not get their children vaccinated.

So if we get 90% of the population to take the vaccine which is 90% effective then we have 81% community immunity. That’s great but we don’t know if that’s enough to prevent further outbreaks, particularly next winter. Maybe it will, maybe it won’t. And I presume that’s why they aren’t ruling out any further restrictions - because they can’t.

Outbreaks next winter ?

Ok so if 90% of the population are vaccinated and there’s 81% effectiveness of immunity (also you need to add on prior virus community infection immunity) then how will this be classed as an outbreak. ?

Who will be at risk from this “outbreak” considering the elderly and vulnerable will be all inoculated ?

There’s no way in hell businesses will close up shop next winter with near zero deaths even if cases are 500-1000 per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Kavanagh's pub on New Street are serving pints again!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-say-they-are-powerless-to-intervene-to-stop-a-dublin-pub-that-will-begin-serving-takeaway-pints-40128947.html

“We have always been compliant with & very mindful of public health advice but after almost a full year of little or no trade it’s very evident that we’re NOT ‘All in this together.
    “We will no longer be going along with Mehole’s asking of us not to sell takeaway pints."

ðŸ˜

OMG THIS IS BRILLIANT :D:D:D

They actually said Mehole :pac:

Fair play - all should do it.

Did you go visit your parents yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,493 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

It's good and all but I find this Mehole thing childish and pathetic.

Adults actually think it's funny and they're been wity.

Just open up and sell pints but leave out the silliness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

AdamD wrote: »
    If we had 81% of the population vaccinated surely any outbreak would be negligable and a lockdown would be an absolutely disproportional response.

If a vaccine were to not get us back to normal, we move on anyway, because the alternative simply isn't feasible.

Ok. You sound pretty sure about that so no point me giving much of an opinion.

You've misunderstood the 81% figure, BTW. But you still seem pretty sure about your conclusion.

Chomper. wrote: »
    The passport will mop up the no-vaxxers

I mean they're basically selfish so they will selfishly take the vaccine to get the passport

It's that simple imo

Nothing is that simple in reality. But that will be the plan - to bring as many vaccine-hesitant people to get the finger out and get the vaccine.

I haven't seen the proposals. What would be the benefits of having a vaccine passport?

bubblypop wrote: »

I cant I am working Monday to Friday.

Although from my activity here you may think otherwise :pac:

• Advertisement

dalyboy wrote: »
    Outbreaks next winter ?

Ok so if 90% of the population are vaccinated and there’s 81% effectiveness of immunity (also you need to add on prior virus community infection immunity) then how will this be classed as an outbreak. ?

Who will be at risk from this “outbreak” considering the elderly and vulnerable will be all inoculated ?

There’s no way in hell businesses will close up shop next winter with near zero deaths even if cases are 500-1000 per day.

I think i need to clear this up. If 90% of total population is vaccinated and the vaccine is 90% effective, then we have 90%*90%=81% total population immunity.

19% of the total population will be at risk. And if you're not talking about having restrictions then you're not talking about current levels of interaction between people . You're talking about stadiums and pubs and workplaces and busses and concerts. And 19% of the population is not immune...

I don't claim to know but i think localised or national outbreaks are very possible in winter.

It's good and all but I find this Mehole thing childish and pathetic.

Adults actually think it's funny and they're been wity.

Just open up and sell pints but leave out the silliness.

But they may kill granny no?

Jingle are you suggesting businesses should open up and trade?? woah. that escalated quickly

I cant I am working Monday to Friday.

Although from my activity here you may think otherwise :pac:

go on Friday then :)

bubblypop wrote: »
    go on Friday then :)

Cant. I am going to a protest at St Green at 2 O clock on a Saturday.

One of those where you want to do something and then you cant, I have freedoms to protest for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Very foolish of them. Gardai already successfully objected to licence renewal on at least one premises in Dublin.

All they're going to achieve is a longer lockdown for the rest of us and possibly lose their licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,717 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

One of those where you want to do something and then you cant, I have freedoms to protest for.

whats happening on saturday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Chomper.

I haven't seen the proposals. What would be the benefits of having a vaccine passport?

To get more people to take the vaccine

Scotty # wrote: »
    Very foolish of them. Gardai already successfully objected to licence renewal on at least one premises in Dublin.

All they're going to achieve is a longer lockdown for the rest of us and possibly lose their licence.

A garda spokesperson said: “The sale of take away alcohol from licensed premises is not currently a penal regulation and therefore not an offence.”

Scotty, newsflash, businesses operating can and is actually legal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

A garda spokesperson said: “The sale of take away alcohol from licensed premises is not currently a penal regulation and therefore not an offence.”

Wow, didnt realise you couldn't buy alcohol up to now! The local off licence must only be selling fizzy orange!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Who did they object too successfully?
    I think the Berlin D2 one is still in courts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

The passport will mop up the no-vaxxers

I mean they're basically selfish so they will selfishly take the vaccine to get the passport

It's that simple imo

How is that no passports were required for the past pandemics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Why all the vitriol with very post. Ultimately we're all on the same side but you can't seem to help yourself. Yesterday you were whinging about how unhappy you are. Is it any wonder? You come across as a bitter little man who has nothing going on in his life other than to make snide comments on boards.ie every 3 minutes. It's really quite sad. I wonder were you like this before lockdown or is it a result of it??

Yes, what you said for sure. Your post is alarming, you say describe a very grim world which is far removed from reality. What you say simply isn't true, the restrictions will largely be dropped soon enough and the world will return to what it is usually like. Lockdowns are hard and things seem endless right now, but try to stay positive and keep your feet on the ground. We'll get back to normal.

I appreciate your attempts to make people happier by saying that things will get back to normal, but we all know that it won't be the "old" normal, it'll be a "new" normal, because certain traces of what we are living now will be carried forward forever, and hence the future will be different than what we used to know.

Why all the vitriol with very post. Ultimately we're all on the same side but you can't seem to help yourself. Yesterday you were whinging about how unhappy you are. Is it any wonder? You come across as a bitter little man who has nothing going on in his life other than to make snide comments on boards.ie every 3 minutes. It's really quite sad. I wonder were you like this before lockdown or is it a result of it??

:D

Have I touched a nerve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Chomper.

How is that no passports were required for the past pandemics?

Dunno

Point is , I want to get out of these restrictions and get the mask off

People who don't take the vaccine are part of the problem

I appreciate your attempts to make people happier by saying that things will get back to normal, but we all know that it won't be the "old" normal, it'll be a "new" normal, because certain traces of what we are living now will be carried forward forever, and hence the future will be different than what we used to know.

I am with OP.

I dont know anyone who is enthusiastic about hiding their faces or sitting at home or doing staycations for rest of their lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think i need to clear this up. If 90% of total population is vaccinated and the vaccine is 90% effective, then we have 90%*90%=81% total population immunity.

19% of the total population will be at risk. And if you're not talking about having restrictions then you're not talking about current levels of interaction between people . You're talking about stadiums and pubs and workplaces and busses and concerts. And 19% of the population is not immune...

I don't claim to know but i think localised or national outbreaks are very possible in winter.
    I understood, good to see you're still condescending as ever.

81% of people will be highly unlikely to spread it, that massively reduces the chance of any outbreak happening. What does the R number go to if 8/10 people can't even pass it on? The chain would break at so many points. Especially if you consider cases are likely to be at a low base, it seems fairly implausable to get exponential case growth with vaccine numbers that high.

What is the protest about? Who are the speakers?

How many arrests are you predicting? I think the last one had 11.

Dunno

Point is , I want to get out of these restrictions and get the mask off

People who don't take the vaccine are part of the problem

The last big pandemic didn't see any restriction as we know them today, life was business as usual, no vaccines, no passports, probably no masks either. People kept living their life, enjoying, moving, working. The pandemic ended on its own.
    What's the difference with today's pandemic?

• Advertisement

The last big pandemic didn't see any restriction as we know them today, life was business as usual, no vaccines, no passports, probably no masks either. People kept living their life, enjoying, moving, working. The pandemic ended on its own.
    What's the difference with today's pandemic?
    Is that h1n1? Or what but of a difference in first year I think deaths were 100-400k?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement