Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You are backing up my point - they didnt have much to switch to yet still switched to whatever else, very quickly.

People genuinely dont like bad news or worrying news or concerning news told to them every day.

They are very comparable as the message gets ignored very quickly in the end.

Smoking decreasing may have something to do with the cost of smoking that, especially given latest economic circumstances, is prohibitively high. But it is good news no doubt.
    I am really not....I don't see anything to indicate people switched TV channels in the 80s or 90s when they saw an anti smoking ad, do you have anything to back that up.

My point is when it comes to Corona people can switch very easily to hundreds of other TV stations if they aren't interested, for example I watch the rte news once a day at most and usually only last 10 minutes, the numbers are factual, if I see George Lee I switch over.
    The weird thing is radio shows like liveline are soaring figures wise despite being almost wall to wall covid misery so who knows!

It is quite bizarre to imagine that to walk around Aldi you'd need a health passport.

Or going for a meal in a restaurant.

Most importantly, who will be checking this? I dont see any business employing extra staff to check health passports lol. This is time consuming and in the long run will reduce amount of business they do as instead of allowing customers in to shop they instead get a big queue going with "checks"
    I sincerely doubt you will need a "health passport" to walk around an Aldi....
    To get on a plane though? I would say pretty likely.
    Iceland etc already heading that way.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/vaccination-passports-what-are-the-pros-and-cons-and-will-we-have-to-use-them-1.4486265

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Chomper.

It is quite bizarre to imagine that to walk around Aldi you'd need a health passport.

Or going for a meal in a restaurant.

Most importantly, who will be checking this? I dont see any business employing extra staff to check health passports lol. This is time consuming and in the long run will reduce amount of business they do as instead of allowing customers in to shop they instead get a big queue going with "checks"

QR code scanner and door entry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Multipass wrote: »
    I’m in no way anti-vax, and I’ll take it whenever it’s offered to help with herd immunity (I’m not bothered a bit about my personal immunity). But the idea of a health passport is horrific, and so is the fact that people will support it for the reason in bold. We’re having our arms twisted into accepting things that no free society should accept.

This is precisely wat I was talking about earlier - some people will balk at the idea of a vaccine passport . While the vaccine passport is a good idea and it should definitely be planned at the moment, the government stands to gain little by talking about it now.

They should continue to rollout the vaccine and then when it gets down to the vaccine hesitant people, bring in the passport to encourage more people to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Lots of business owners in the media today announcing they're reopening. They're just a small fraction of those that will actually open in the coming weeks. Enough is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Chomper.

GazzaL wrote: »
    Lots of business owners in the media today announcing they're reopening. They're just a small fraction of those that will actually open in the coming weeks. Enough is enough.

There's something frankly ridiculous about takeaways doing a roaring trade atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭Allinall

Cant. I am going to a protest at St Green at 2 O clock on a Saturday.

One of those where you want to do something and then you cant, I have freedoms to protest for.

You need to get your priorities in order.

Lots?
    How many are we talking?
    Let's see shall we, the first few might get some money out of a gofundme the rest will be left with a fine etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Chomper. wrote: »

Yeah that seems practical. I don't suppose it was ever suggested that you'd need a vaccine passport to do essential things like food shopping. But for non essential things like pubs, sports events, concerts, it makes perfect sense that you would scan your passport before going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Ms Gibney said: "There is no human rights and equality expertise on NPHET. We believe there needs to be a new subgroup established to deal with human rights and equality and ethics.

"There is also no regulatory assessment being carried out at the moment. What that would normally allow for in normal times is some high level analysis of equality and rights impacts on any regulations that are being brought into effect."

Does anyone know how many fines relating to covid have actually been issued and how many of those have been paid?

Anyone know the answer?

• Advertisement

Anyone know the answer?

What is the question?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Kerry chef Paul Treyvaud vows to open up on July 1 no matter what and is prepared to go to jail.

More of this is coming and it's unstoppable.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/kerry-chef-paul-treyvaud-says-plan-to-reopen-no-matter-what-has-widespread-support-1155854

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

Scotty # wrote: »
    Why all the vitriol with very post. Ultimately we're all on the same side but you can't seem to help yourself. Yesterday you were whinging about how unhappy you are. Is it any wonder? You come across as a bitter little man who has nothing going on in his life other than to make snide comments on boards.ie every 3 minutes. It's really quite sad. I wonder were you like this before lockdown or is it a result of it??

To be fair to him, the Junior Cert can be quite stressful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

Kerry chef Paul Treyvaud vows to open up on July s1 no matter what and is prepared to go to jail.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/kerry-chef-paul-treyvaud-says-plan-to-reopen-no-matter-what-has-widespread-support-1155854

How is it unstoppable, he gets put in jail and it's stopped.

There are very valid reasons to keep the virus numbers low whilst we vaccinate, the most important reason being that we don't want to have large numbers going round and risk someone who is vaccinated being infected and a mutation occurring that allows for vaccine escape. So I sympathise if they aren't getting the support hey need from the government, but if everyone opens up then it puts as all at risk of going back to square one, that's why we have to be careful and move forward based on the numbers and not dates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Probes wrote: »

There are very valid reasons to keep the virus numbers low whilst we vaccinate, the most important reason being that we don't want to have large numbers going round and risk someone who is vaccinated being infected and a mutation occurring that allows for vaccine escape. So I sympathise if they aren't getting the support hey need from the government, but if everyone opens up then it puts as all at risk of going back to square one, that's why we have to be careful and move forward based on the numbers and not dates.

Yeah, we are nearly there, with the vaccines. Hopefully by the summer we can start to get back to a semblance of normal. People wanting to fling the doors open now, may very well mess that up.

Square one? We can never go back there, regardless what happens. The money will have run out and the IMF will be back.

wes wrote: »
    Yeah, we are nearly there, with the vaccines. Hopefully by the summer we can start to get back to a semblance of normal. People wanting to fling the doors open now, may very well mess that up.

You wouldn't think so listening to Micheal Martin's recent address or anyone in the Zero COVID cult.

gmisk wrote: »
    I am really not....I don't see anything to indicate people switched TV channels in the 80s or 90s when they saw an anti smoking ad, do you have anything to back that up.

In the 80s most people only had 1 and later 2 channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,312 ✭✭✭plodder

Ms Gibney said: "There is no human rights and equality expertise on NPHET. We believe there needs to be a new subgroup established to deal with human rights and equality and ethics.

"There is also no regulatory assessment being carried out at the moment. What that would normally allow for in normal times is some high level analysis of equality and rights impacts on any regulations that are being brought into effect."

Does anyone know how many fines relating to covid have actually been issued and how many of those have been paid?
    Interesting how NPHET is seen as the centre of political power now. Maybe there should be sub-committees that deal with culture and sport, and the Irish language? :rolleyes:

NPHET is supposed to be about public health, and is probably already too big.

‘Why do you sit out here all alone?’ said Alice…..
    ‘Why, because there’s nobody with me!’ cried Humpty Dumpty.‘Did you think I didn’t know the answer to that?’

Spot on. Constant advertisement of cases and deaths doesnt really help either.

Back in the 80s and 90s they were running ads in UK showing bad sides of smoking. Cancers etc. These ads were quite frequent, what happened in the end actually is that most people watching TV switched the channel immediately as it wasnt a nice viewing. Morale of the story - if you keep pumping negative people eventually quickly switch off and ignore it completely. This is where Ireland is now with all things covid.

A better example were the deaths in the NI Troubles. You zoned out when they mentioned people being killed and waited for the "real" news to start. It may sound callous but that's how it was. The difference now is there isn't any "real" news anymore. Mount Etna erupted recently and it wasn't even mentioned. Some kid making stickers for level 5 exercising indoors was. I mean fair play to him but there is a whole world out there.

We are borrowing unprecedented levels of money, which surely should have been used to increase ICU capacity, but instead is used to keep people locked up. Businesses that have proven they can safely operate, such as non essential shops and hairdressers. They even banned small retailers from using "Click and Collect" FFS, while allowing larger businesses to still use it !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

He's talking about the 1st July. There are very valid reasons that numbers will be low enough then to open up. If that's the case and he's not allowed to, the problem is with the government, not the restaurant owner.

Come July, when every restaurant in Europe (and Northern Ireland) is open, I don't think the government have a hope in hell of making the 'unstoppable' as you put it, legally applicable.

In the 80s most people only had 1 and later 2 channels.
    That was literally my point....if you read my other posts.

Totally different now

Kerry chef Paul Treyvaud vows to open up on July s1 no matter what and is prepared to go to jail.

that's still a full 4 months away! If a lot of business isn't open by July, they never will. He should be doing it sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Well my real life experience is when I go outside for a walk I see people who have already forgotten covid. I dont see any1 wearing a mask outdoors. I dont see any1 socially distancing outdoors. I see 20 + children playin in playgrounds with their parents chatting very close to each other. And these people havent gotten their vaccine..

Well, over here in my country (Italy), walking outdoors without a mask is illegal at the moment. A face mask is required always and everywhere when out of home.
    Playgrounds are closed, so no children playing, no parents chatting. Schools are closed (mainly), so no children socializing at school either, nor parents waiting for them outside.
    Non essential shops, restaurants and bars are closed, people aren't incentived to go outside.
    I try not to think much about what's going on, but it is difficult when I go outside and see mask, or, in the attempt not to see them, I have to stay sat at home.
    Sometimes I break the rules, and I have to confess that I shake some hands when I see that the person in front of me has the same light in their eyes.
    It will live long in our memories you are right, but not necessarily because theres a lot of horror or fear, but rather just thoughts of whether we should have done something different and could have done something different. So feelings of regret really, not horror.

It's not horror what I mean, it's the fact that this chapter of our life will likely haunt me forever, and I will suffer over the things that I couldn't do during these years, those things will be lost forever, I'll have wasted my time, and this will be part of my new normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Tazz T wrote: »
    He's talking about the 1st July. There are very valid reasons that numbers will be low enough then to open up. If that's the case and he's not allowed to, the problem is with the government, not the restaurant owner.

Come July, when every restaurant in Europe (and Northern Ireland) is open, I don't think the government have a hope in hell of making the 'unstoppable' as you put it, legally applicable.

How do you know every restaurant in Europe and NI will be open in July?
    I hope you are right, but its certainly not guaranteed.

Germany have extended their lockdown until March 7th in part owing to fears of the UK variant.
    https://www.deutschland.de/en/news/coronavirus-in-germany-informations
    https://www.iamexpat.de/expat-info/german-expat-news/german-politicians-dampen-hopes-quick-lifting-corona-restrictions

We are nearly there. Ireland is not the only country in lock down and Ireland is not the only country who will experience a very difficult few years socially and economically in the aftermath of this pandemic.

We are now discussing keeping restrictions and staying locked down in the context of a global vaccination programme. That changes everything.
    Previous lock downs and easing of restrictions did not have a global vaccination programme.

Assuming vaccinations are effective and variants don't trip us up we will all be in a better place come July. The entire planet. Not just Ireland.

Until then its irresponsible to open up with numbers as high as they are while simultaneously rolling out a vaccination programme.
    That would be counter productive.

We are nearly there.

gmisk wrote: »
    It was 60 plus years ago?....

So yeah the response would be slightly different if something similarly happened today....you would hope....medical treatments, public health etc has changed massively since then, as has travel, including international travel.

I'm well aware of this, but moving is moving, both across the ocean and to the next county. So, why now are we locked within our boundaries, and 60+ years ago they were allowed to move (maybe not internationally) across the nation, with no restrictions, no lockdowns, no closed shops or schools?
    It seems that because of this lack of restrictions, nobody got a PTSD after that pandemic, and people forgot about it rather soon.
    We won't have this privilege.

Chomper. wrote: »

I see people selling their own QR code to others, as a jpeg to be scanned at doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

About time. They should have forced the Govt's hand sooner. A year into this and all they do is offer empty platitudes like "We're all in this together." and most recently "Hold the Line". Martin had a chance to give business owners some hope that they would be permanently able to reopen soon,but he still waffled with his vague bull**** to give the impression that it won't be happening this year.

Enough is enough. We're a year into this. Its about time we ended this. They can routinely gave themselves raises during this then they can sit and develop an actual exit strategy for this year. Not next year or whenever they feel like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

W123-80's wrote: »
    How do you know every restaurant in Europe and NI will be open in July?
    I hope you are right, but its certainly not guaranteed.

Germany have extended their lockdown until March 7th in part owing to fears of the UK variant.
    https://www.deutschland.de/en/news/coronavirus-in-germany-informations
    https://www.iamexpat.de/expat-info/german-expat-news/german-politicians-dampen-hopes-quick-lifting-corona-restrictions

We are nearly there. Ireland is not the only country in lock down and Ireland is not the only country who will experience a very difficult few years socially and economically in the aftermath of this pandemic.

We are now discussing keeping restrictions and staying locked down in the context of a global vaccination programme. That changes everything.
    Previous lock downs and easing of restrictions did not have a global vaccination programme.

Assuming vaccinations are effective and variants don't trip us up we will all be in a better place come July. The entire planet. Not just Ireland.

Until then its irresponsible to open up with numbers as high as they are while simultaneously rolling out a vaccination programme.
    That would be counter productive.

We are nearly there.

Germany seem one of the more cautious but even they're not as bad as us. They're reopening hair dressers for one on the 1st of March as they consider it a safe activity. Every country is rolling out a vaccination program but our restrictions are heavier than all the others, and a lot heavier than some places.

• Advertisement

Yeah that seems practical. I don't suppose it was ever suggested that you'd need a vaccine passport to do essential things like food shopping. But for non essential things like pubs, sports events, concerts, it makes perfect sense that you would scan your passport before going in.

And would this be forever? Is this the normal we had before?
    You know, currently the essential shops have people queueing outside, and one customer at the time is allowed in.
    Because I don't like this new way of doing business from them, I chose not to shop anymore in physical shops and I'm getting the stuff I need from the internet. No queues under the rain, no masks, no arguments on the sidewalk.
    Monday marked a year since I last visited my hair dresser.
    If a QR code or anything else to be scanned becomes the normal, well, I'm ready to live differently. Should someone else think like me, it is possible that the idea of a passport will be dropped.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement