Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

https://www.thejournal.ie/cso-survey-5365180-Feb2021/

Life satisfaction levels are at the lowest levels ever due to Covid-19 pandemic, CSO survey says

"I for one welcome my FFG overlords. Thank you for letting me travel within an arbitrary distance of my home, I am forever grateful for my business being shut down, and the deterioration of my mental and physical health in return for €350/week."

I thought it was a pretty sarcastic comment :pac:
    But sad at the same time.

This is not sustainable is it?

On another thread, you have a daily NPHET propaganda vehicle to coincide of release of daily swab figures that would make Kim Jong-un blush. "Great news everybody, cases have diminished by a tiny amount. Where's my applause, I don't see enough clap happy seals around here. High five everyone, and do what the hell you're told or Tony Holohan will haunt your worst nightmares".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Our tourist industry is vital to our economy. We need to open up NOW.

All the restrictions have to go.

This pantomine has caused enough damage and has to end.

Not happening, NPHET have said normal is a long way off and our public health system isn't fit for purpose, they singled out the pubs and hospitality again. Agenda is set now and MM is to weak to stand up to their now blatant anti alcohol agenda.
    Only hope now is for FG to pull down the government, no harm we went to the polls.

On another thread, you have a daily NPHET propaganda vehicle to coincide of release of daily swab figures that would make Kim Jong-un blush. "Great news everybody, cases have diminished by a tiny amount. Where's my applause, I don't see enough clap happy seals around here. High five everyone, and do what the hell you're told or Tony Holohan will haunt your worst nightmares".

Good news met with absolute disaster by NPHET, they're gone rouge, need to be taken off the air immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Not happening, NPHET have said normal is a long way off and our public health system isn't fit for purpose, they singled out the pubs and hospitality again. Agenda is set now and MM is to weak to stand up to their now blatant anti alcohol agenda.
    Only hope now is for FG to pull down the government, no harm we went to the polls.

We should have an election no matter what happens IMO.

We need a debate on the future plans for the economy and how to handle future pandemics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

We just did what we were allowed to do. Isn't that precisely my point? We didn't decide to keep our distance because the rules didn't stop us doing things. It's funny because the person who I started this conversation with was opposed to the strict restrictions, and here we are agreeing that we needed restrictions earlier because people will go to the limit of what's permitted.

I think Irish people aren't generally big sticklers for the rules. Insofar as national stereotypes can be instructive, I think it's fair to say that generally there are some countries that tend to stick to rules with light touch enforcement and others that tend to stick to rules when they are more strictly enforced. It's not a particularly good or bad thing. I think our cheekiness and playfulness is part of our charm as a nationality. In the Christmas period saw a great rise in cases because more people pushed the boat out a bit and more transmissions occurred as a result.

Where did you get this notion? I've personally always considered the Irish as being very obedient/subservient.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

We need a debate on the future plans for the economy and how to handle future pandemics.

We can't even have a debate in the Dáil at the moment, NPHET have given advice on how many minsiters can be there and how long they can speak, it's farscical, MM is hiding behind it answering to nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Where did you get this notion? I've personally always considered the Irish as being very obedient/subservient.

I agree.

Catholic rule for decades also showed a lot of obedience.

I think its one of those: cases reduce - lockdown is working!

Cases are high / not declining as expected - people to blame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

TomTomTim wrote: »

We are, incredibly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The UK has given the public dates on when stuff is reopening and have an excellent vaccination plan in place.We need the same.

Business owners need to know what sort of timeline is ahead.

Frankly thats little to do with daft demands for ditching all restrictions and opening everything now as suggested by the previous poster.

As to the the UK.

The UK has given given the public dates on when stuff is reopening with a whole bunch of conditions which if not met - then stuff won't be reopening at all. From the gov.uk website
    In implementing this plan we will be guided by data, not dates, so that we do not risk a surge in infections that would put unsustainable pressure on the NHS. For that reason, all the dates in the roadmap are indicative and subject to change.

Only when the government is sure that it is safe to move from one step to the next will the final decision be made. The decision will be based on four tests:

the vaccine deployment programme continues successfully

evidence shows vaccines are sufficiently effective in reducing hospitalisations and deaths in those vaccinated

infection rates do not risk a surge in hospitalisations which would put unsustainable pressure on the NHS

our assessment of the risks is not fundamentally changed by new Variants of Concern

And yes they do have an excellent vaccination plan in place and fair play to them. They have done this by accessing large supplies of vaccine and manufacturing same.

And no I'm not rubbishing or having a go at the UKs planned rollback on restrictions - the above is their own published guidance.

Our own vaccination plans are regulated by the EU of which Ireland is a member.

This is our own timeline / dates which to be fair takes into account our own vaccination programme.

https://www.thejournal.ie/living-with-covid-plan-update-5362940-Feb2021/

Now is genuinely a great opportunity for a new party to be formed.

Newly created UK's reform party led by Farage (an unpopular character) will look to capitalize on people who hate lockdowns and who had their lives ruined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

We can't even have a debate in the Dáil at the moment, NPHET have given advice on how many minsiters can be there and how long they can speak, it's farscical, MM is hiding behind it answering to nobody.

Simply not true and what difference would an election make anyway?

Rockfish wrote: »
    Simply not true and what difference would an election make anyway?

It is, have you been watching what's going on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Newly created UK's reform party led by Farage (an unpopular character) will look to capitalize on people who hate lockdowns and who had their lives ruined.

A new party would get nowhere, the right wing libertarians in Renua, NP, IFP havent seen any surge since this began, why would any new party?

It is, have you been watching what's going on there.

You dont need the full Dail convened to have a debate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Probes wrote: »
    How is it unstoppable, he gets put in jail and it's stopped.

There are very valid reasons to keep the virus numbers low whilst we vaccinate, the most important reason being that we don't want to have large numbers going round and risk someone who is vaccinated being infected and a mutation occurring that allows for vaccine escape. So I sympathise if they aren't getting the support hey need from the government, but if everyone opens up then it puts as all at risk of going back to square one, that's why we have to be careful and move forward based on the numbers and not dates.

Jailing people for trying to earn a living? What next, bring back the Black and Tans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Still sounding like a party political broadcast there ...

So who is going to "capitalise" and to try to make political milage here do ya reckon?

"Workers of the World Unite inc" perhaps?

Absolute legend. Starts at 0.20

Talks more common sense in 4 mins than M Martin & Leo have in the last 11 months.

UK MP.

at 3.55 talks about McConkey

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Who said we’ll get to full vaccination? I haven’t heard anyone suggest we’ll get to full vaccination, have you?

I know we have some anti (coved) vaxers. People who think they’re far too clever to take the vaccine. We have others who will not get their children vaccinated.

So if we get 90% of the population to take the vaccine which is 90% effective then we have 81% community immunity. That’s great but we don’t know if that’s enough to prevent further outbreaks, particularly next winter. Maybe it will, maybe it won’t. And I presume that’s why they aren’t ruling out any further restrictions - because they can’t.

No that's not how it works, efficacy is related to the number of people who contract the disease, so it would be 90% effective in those who contract the disease roughly 2.5% of the population reducing the effective rate to about .25% by my calculations

You dont need the full Dail convened to have a debate

They're taking the proverbial..

Government cannot keep hiding from scrutiny
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-40230494.html

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

What would happen in the event of an election is that SF would make further gains and probably go in with FF and we would be left with Martin and McDonald.

• Advertisement

They're taking the proverbial..

Government cannot keep hiding from scrutiny
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-40230494.html

Ok fair enough, though i dont think an election is needed, would change little or nothin g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ok fair enough, though i dont think an election is needed, would change little or nothin g
    Exactly.
    If sinn fein got in it would be the same, maybe even tougher in certain sectors like international travel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Christ is there a band wagon he wouldn't fecking jump on...
    He might get another pension out of it which would be the main aim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

mmclo wrote: »
    Who said we’ll get to full vaccination? I haven’t heard anyone suggest we’ll get to full vaccination, have you?

I know we have some anti (coved) vaxers. People who think they’re far too clever to take the vaccine. We have others who will not get their children vaccinated.

So if we get 90% of the population to take the vaccine which is 90% effective then we have 81% community immunity. That’s great but we don’t know if that’s enough to prevent further outbreaks, particularly next winter. Maybe it will, maybe it won’t. And I presume that’s why they aren’t ruling out any further restrictions - because they can’t.
    No that's not how it works, efficacy is related to the number of people who contract the disease, so it would be 90% effective in those who contract the disease roughly 2.5% of the population reducing the effective rate to about .25% by my calculations

20% of the population are <18 and won't be offered the vaccine. A further 20-30% of the 80% remaining will refuse the vaccine (28.8% so far in France).

That leaves 56% to 64% of the population vaccinated by the time we're finished vaccinating. .

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    What would happen in the event of an election is that SF would make further gains and probably go in with FF and we would be left with Martin and McDonald.

Cannot see Martin leading FF into another election . I think he will retire whenever this government falls.

Whiplash85 wrote: »

That the most terrifying thing I’ve heard lately. Imagine that for a s*** show!

gmisk wrote: »
    Exactly.
    If sinn fein got in it would be the same, maybe even tougher in certain sectors like international travel

Well they certainly have a long established record of detaining people against their will so introducing quarantine should be a snip . :eek:

Either do I but this Coup has to come to an end, the government are no longer in control. Either MM takes back the reigns or we do.

Cannot see Martin leading FF into another election . I think he will retire whenever this government falls.

I think its a given that he will step aside after his stint as Taoiseach, allow a new leader time to put his stamp on the party before the next election

• Advertisement

Either do I but this Coup has to come to an end, the government are no longer in control. Either MM takes back the reigns or we do.

And who is this “WE “ of which you speak ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement