Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Either do I but this Coup has to come to an end, the government are no longer in control. Either MM takes back the reigns or we do.

You and whose army?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

And who is this “WE “ of which you speak ?

The People, it won't come to that though, summer is on the way and numbers will be on the floor, little justification for any restrictions. It's quite clear NPHET will want them back come September from today's article. I for one won't be tolerating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Where did you get this notion? I've personally always considered the Irish as being very obedient/subservient.

Do you think so? I never would have considered the Irish to be particularly law abiding. I’ve never really seen us describe ourselves as sticklers for rules. It feels a bit like maybe we’re just saying it in this one instance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The People, it won't come to that though, summer is on the way and numbers will be on the floor, little justification for any restrictions. It's quite clear NPHET will want them back come September from today's article. I for one won't be tolerating it.
    Let's see shall we....september is a long time awah.
    If it does head that way you say you won't be tolerating it?
    How so? Will you leave the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Either do I but this Coup has to come to an end, the government are no longer in control. Either MM takes back the reigns or we do.

Coup ah ffs :pac::pac::rolleyes: Didnt 'we' elect the current Dail and youve just agreed an election wouldn't make much difference, ie 'we'' would elect a similar Dail

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    Let's see shall we....september is a long time awah.
    If it does head that way you say you won't be tolerating it?
    How so? Will you leave the country?

I'll be flabbergasted if this is still going on in September, it's stand and fight or get the boat if NPHET are still running our lives.
    Public health advice should be just that and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Please keep us informed on when you plan to start the revolution :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

Probes wrote: »
    How is it unstoppable, he gets put in jail and it's stopped.

There are very valid reasons to keep the virus numbers low whilst we vaccinate, the most important reason being that we don't want to have large numbers going round and risk someone who is vaccinated being infected and a mutation occurring that allows for vaccine escape. So I sympathise if they aren't getting the support hey need from the government, but if everyone opens up then it puts as all at risk of going back to square one, that's why we have to be careful and move forward based on the numbers and not dates.

No there isn't. These 'valid reasons' and the logic you are using don't exist in reality.

What are you suggesting? We close our borders forever to prevent future mutations? Utter nonsense. Vaccines don't stop mutations and this Coronavirus will continue to mutate for years.

This lockdown is for a tiny fraction of the population. 200-500 people die from the flu annually, are we going to lockdown in the future to prevent their deaths?

As usual the a la carte altruists are running low on any semblance of logic.

Let's ruin everyone's lives to spare the deaths of a few and destroy our economy in the process. People die all the time, it's about time the zero Covid and lockdown enthusiasts nuts began to comprehend that fact.

It's time to end this madness, open back up the country and start repairing the damage we have done to spare a small fraction of lives. I'm getting very tired of these virtue signalling, fake altruists pretending you can't allow someone to die from Covid but other diseases and life itself doesn't matter. It's pathetic.

gozunda wrote: »
    You and whose army?

What would it take for you to join my band of merry men, what's a step too far in your book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Akesh wrote: »
    No there isn't. These 'valid reasons' and the logic you are using don't exist in reality.

What are you suggesting? We close our borders forever to prevent future mutations? Utter nonsense. Vaccines don't stop mutations and this Coronavirus will continue to mutate for years.

This lockdown is for a tiny fraction of the population. 200-500 people die from the flu annually, are we going to lockdown in the future to prevent their deaths?

Let's ruin everyone's lives to spare the deaths of a few and destroy our economy in the process. People die all the time, it's about time the zero Covid and lockdown enthusiasts nuts began to comprehend that fact.

It's time to end this madness, open back up the country and start repairing the damage we have done to spare a small fraction of lives. I'm getting very tired of these virtue signalling, fake altruists pretending you can't allow someone to die from Covid but other diseases and life itself doesn't matter. It's pathetic.

Just to point out, a lot more people die WITH flu every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Not happening, NPHET have said normal is a long way off and our public health system isn't fit for purpose
    Yes, I read that in the IT. I suppose our not fit for purpose health service is nothing to do with the individual who has been Deputy/Chief Medical Officer since 2001 or with NPHET members who are in senior roles in the HSE or DOH.

Wonder what the average salary of NPHET members is, 6 figures for sure only question is does that six figures start with a 1, 2, 3...

Weeks and months are an insignificant time period when we're being told to hold firm, maybe they could do without their big salaries for "just a few weeks"?

Houlihan is on 187k, Paul Reid 350k, Drew Harris 250k
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40211576.html

We're all in this together, YOLO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Akesh wrote: »

Even if no one ever died of covid lockdown would still be necessary. 170 people PER DAY were being admitted to hospital in January. How long do you think that could have gone on for? We have a finite number of beds, of ventilators, of ICU's.

The objective of lockdowns is to protect the health service, not to protect healthy people from getting covid.

Scotty # wrote: »
    170 people PER DAY were being admitted to hospital in January. How long do you think that could have gone on for?

Can you put some context around that we have hardly anyone on trolleys, some hospitals are empty, in a normal Flu year we'd have 10,000+ on trolleys in February.
    What we had before Covid was a disgrace, Harris, Leo, MM not one of them held accountable.
    We can afford to open up fully if we accept it's not really any worse than most years, infact we don't have excess deaths and the hospitals are doing well for this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭blackvalley

What would it take for you to join my band of merry men, what's a step too far in your book?

As I said earlier just let us know when you plan to start . The launch date so to speak .
    I could spare a few hours here and there to sharpen pitchforks and the like but would need a bit of notice . Free in the mornings but couldnt guarantee every morning with kids to be minded and so on . Weekends are definitely as I get my hair done and remove fluff from my belly button so a midweek mutiny please if possible.
    Could possibly round up a few pals as well they like the ould bit of revolution . ( you would have to guarantee them time off if there was sport on the telly though )
    Theres one of them does a grand version of Sean South after a few pints so
    id say hed come in handy .
    Like I said please keep us in the loop :rolleyes:

I'm only available after 6, we do have close to 500,000 getting paid to stay at home and another 400,000 waiting on cancer screening.
    It's not much but it's a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Can you put some context around that we have hardly anyone on trolleys, some hospitals are empty, in a normal Flu year we'd have 10,000+ on trolleys in February.
    What we had before Covid was a disgrace, Harris, Leo, MM not one of them held accountable.
    We can afford to open up fully if we accept it's not really any worse than most years, infact we don't have excess deaths and the hospitals are doing well for this time of year.

How many people are on trolleys compared to last year and the year pre covid? Last March we heard the health service was on its knees with 1000 cases in hospital and 180 in ICU. The surge in Oct we heard they were 'managing' with half that in ICU. Then we suddenly can manage double the peak of march 2020. Yes we are using private hospitals but i would guess they are basically empty. Someone please explain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Headline on RTE and the Irish Times of one case of 'concerning' variant found in Ireland.

There needs to be a largescale media investigation similar to the Levison inquiry in the UK after this. They have been incredibly irresponsible and reckless in all of this.

I was absolutely staggered hearing McConkey live on national radio saying we need to be terrified about this new variant that can even infect those that have already been vaccinated. To be given a platform and be allowed come on and spout completely unfounded hysteria to a largely unquestioning public is astounding.

At least Nphet are realising that the vaccines might actually be effective, if only we had some other way of knowing this before now :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Scotty # wrote: »
    Even if no one ever died of covid lockdown would still be necessary. 170 people PER DAY were being admitted to hospital in January. How long do you think that could have gone on for? We have a finite number of beds, of ventilators, of ICU's.

The objective of lockdowns is to protect the health service, not to protect healthy people from getting covid.

That's utterly insane.

We will never get out of lockdown then.

No level of cases would never be low enough for the likes of you because you probably think one case is too many or even zero cases is not worth the risk of getting back to normal.

We don't have time for this pathetic lunacy anymore.

We need to open up and open up NOW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭VG31

At least Nphet are realising that the vaccines might actually be effective, if only we had some other way of knowing this before now :rolleyes:

You'd think it was a complete surprise to them the way they were on about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭cms88

Kerry chef Paul Treyvaud vows to open up on July 1 no matter what and is prepared to go to jail.

More of this is coming and it's unstoppable.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/kerry-chef-paul-treyvaud-says-plan-to-reopen-no-matter-what-has-widespread-support-1155854

I wouldn't take much notice of what he has to say. Loves the sound of his own voice and getting his head in the media.

Restaurants will be more than likely open by July anyway and he knows this, If he really wanted to send out a message he'd do it now, but of coure he won't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

VG31 wrote: »
    You'd think it was a complete surprise to them the way they were on about it.

We must be a different variant of human being

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

No wonder North Koreans are brainwashed. No freedom of movement. Everything they do is for the greater good of the nation. They all have to pull together....

E mac wrote: »
    No wonder North Koreans are brainwashed. No freedom of movement. Everything they do is for the greater good of the nation. They all have to pull together....

The next 2 weeks are crucial..

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/next-two-weeks-critical-in-limiting-spread-of-coronavirus-says-health-official-1.4277316

This was a year ago. Pro lockdown people have a look at the terminology and how the fear factor has abated. HINT. It has not

snowcat wrote: »

I know what you mean but in 4-6 weeks time we're prob gonna be exactly where we are now regardless whether numbers keep dropping in which case we're doing great let's keep doing the same or numbers go up we gotta stay as is..
    I don't want to be cynical but I can't really can't be positive about any of this anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Did Varadkar just hint that lockdowns can go on until 2023?

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1364923763633094659

E mac wrote: »
    I know what you mean but in 4-6 weeks time we're prob gonna be exactly where we are now regardless whether numbers keep dropping in which case we're doing great let's keep doing the same or numbers go up we gotta stay as is..
    I don't want to be cynical but I can't really can't be positive about any of this anymore.

You have to remember that this was from June 2020 when case rates were in the single figures. They were still advocating lockdown social distancing and mask wearing then. They love this..it gives medics that were nerds a prime spot in life. Anyone who thinks vaccines will give a normal life are sorely mistaken as long as nphet are in charge. Remember 1 case is too much and the next variant is on the way

a
    snowcat wrote: »
    You have to remember that this was from June 2020 when case rates were in the single figures. They were still advocating lockdown social distancing and mask wearing then. They love this..it gives medics that were nerds a prime spot in life. Anyone who thinks vaccines will give a normal life are sorely mistaken as long as nphet are in charge. Remember 1 case is too much and the next variant is on the way

Ya like I said it's hard to be positive...for every crumb of good news it's swamped in a sea of deaths /variants /increasing numbers/ extending lockdown/unknown timeframe news...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That's utterly insane.

We will never get out of lockdown then.

No level of cases would never be low enough for the likes of you because you probably think one case is too many or even zero cases is not worth the risk of getting back to normal.

We don't have time for this pathetic lunacy anymore.

We need to open up and open up NOW!

Of course we’ll get out of lockdown. We’ll continue to roll out the vaccine and we’ll get there.

I think your post represents the hysterical attitude that is t really connected to reality.
    Considering you want restrictions to end, you’re overlooking the most obvious way for it to happen - vaccination.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement