Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-times-poll-strong-support-for-reopening-society-as-soon-as-possible-1.4495298

The public want to open up and get back to normal as soon as possible and are clearly impatient.

As the weather improves that impatience will turn into a return to normality with or without the say so of the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Of course we’ll get out of lockdown. We’ll continue to roll out the vaccine and we’ll get there.

I think your post represents the hysterical attitude that is t really connected to reality.
    Considering you want restrictions to end, you’re overlooking the most obvious way for it to happen - vaccination.

Vacccination is a pipe dream. See Israel with 70% of their populaion vaccinated 3500 cases today and 25 deaths. We might be there in Sept 2021. This is here for ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Did Varadkar just hint that lockdowns can go on until 2023?

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1364923763633094659

No. Getting back to full employment is different to reopening the economy.

Of course we’ll get out of lockdown. We’ll continue to roll out the vaccine and we’ll get there.

I think your post represents the hysterical attitude that is t really connected to reality.
    Considering you want restrictions to end, you’re overlooking the most obvious way for it to happen - vaccination.

The vaccinations are too slow.

If it doesn't speed up soon then the people will not wait.

Vaccine or no vaccine society must return to normal and will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What would it take for you to join my band of merry men, what's a step too far in your book?

A. Wild horses

B. The distance from the middle to the two ends

Thanks for asking.

• Advertisement

If it doesn't speed up soon then the people will not wait

People said we would not wait past the first lockdown. We are a subservient people. The french would be rioting on the streets

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

We need to open up and open up NOW!

Not going to happen except maybe for schools and construction anytime before late spring/early summer. Shout and scream hysterically all you want, it will get you the square root of fcuk all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Back to life, back to reality. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

snowcat wrote: »
    Vacccination is a pipe dream. See Israel with 70% of their populaion vaccinated 3500 cases today and 25 deaths. We might be there in Sept 2021. This is here for ever

50% of the population have had at least one dose, not 70%. It’s depressing to see the numbers not change significantly I agree, but from now on it becomes much quicker. If you think about it they’ve only vaccinated half of the population and the other half is still susceptible, but to vaccinate half the susceptible population now will take half the time and so on. The first 50% is a huge undertaking for little change, the next 50% is much quicker with much bigger gains too.

If it doesn't speed up soon then the people will not wait.

Vaccine or no vaccine society must return to normal and will

Until such time as the vaccines are fully rolled out it won`t. End of story. Keep on deluding yourself otherwise all you want but it will make fcuk all difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's 32% fully vaccinated, had to dig through the numbers to find that nugget. It explains why they're still having trouble, hence free beers and scare stories in the headlines there. HSE will have a struggle getting to the 80%, Luke O'Neill isn't helping with vaccine news every day, I was probably going to take the oxford or johnson one but he said today there's an ever better one here in 6mts that protects from all coronaviruses, probably hang on for that one now.

Probes wrote: »
    50% of the population have had at least one dose, not 70%. It’s depressing to see the numbers not change significantly I agree, but from now on it becomes much quicker, if you think about it they’ve only gone half of the population is still susceptible, but to vaccinate half the susceptible population now will take half the time and so on. The first 50% is a huge undertaking for little change.

The Irrepresible Luke O'Neill said vaccinating the susceptible ie top 10% would reduce deaths by 90%. This has not happened in Israel and wont happen here. I like his optimism but this is a guy who is devoted to vaccines and has made millions from them. He is not really going to talk them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Did Varadkar just hint that lockdowns can go on until 2023?

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1364923763633094659

Na Id say its more like saying we'll recover from the economic impact within 2 years.

The People, it won't come to that though, summer is on the way and numbers will be on the floor, little justification for any restrictions. It's quite clear NPHET will want them back come September from today's article. I for one won't be tolerating it.

Really? Is that a fact? Have you got your horned helmet and your animal skins ready for the assault on government buildings yet?

Not going to happen except maybe for schools and construction anytime before late spring/early summer. Shout and scream hysterically all you want, it will get you the square root of fcuk all.

The only hysterics are from nphet the media and the government. They have lost the plot lost the public and the writing is on the wall.

It's 32% fully vaccinated, had to dig through the numbers to find that nugget. It explains why they're still having trouble, hence free beers and scare stories in the headlines there. HSE will have a struggle getting to the 80%, Luke O'Neill isn't helping with vaccine news every day, I was probably going to take the oxford or johnson one but he said today there's an ever better one here in 6mts that protects from all coronaviruses, probably hang on for that one now.

Yes but the figures say one dose gives 80 odd per cent. Another little nugget

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

No. Getting back to full employment is different to reopening the economy.

Hopefully, but the way he said that lockdowns can go on indefinitely gives people ammo in thinking they want this to go on for as long as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,609 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Nigeria variant is the new boy in town

PTH2009 wrote: »

Have the Nigerians heard about this? :pac:

The prince of variants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

GazzaL wrote: »
    Have the Nigerians heard about this? :pac:

I got the email earlier.

Yes but the figures say one dose gives 80 odd per cent. Another little nugget

Not immediately, what's the breakdown of the 80%, your still going to have an cohort more at risk from even a mild enough infection.

I got the email earlier.

I sent my dear friend Dr. Bakare Tunde €150 in return for a vaccination against this variant so I don't have to worry about it. He's a top lad.

Ah here what does this one do, I told me 70+ mam about the Finnish variant this evening and she burst out laughing, https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/finland-new-covid-19-strain-may-not-show-up-on-tests/2149931

GazzaL wrote: »
    I sent my dear friend Dr. Bakare Tunde €150 in return for a vaccination against this variant so I don't have to worry about it. He's a top lad.

I think at this stage we take a chance and live our lives. We might die but it is better than living in house arrest. This is going on a year now. We are a plague on planet earth and this is probably natures way of telling us to get rid of some humans. Nature eventually catches up on us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Of course everyone wants to open up "as soon as is possible".

Full quote:
    Poll responses suggest that the country wants to get on with reopening as soon as possible and certainly before the summer – but not so quickly that it would pose a danger of a resurgence of the virus and a threat to those most vulnerable to it. 

We don't need to throw people to the wolves, we need to start acting the minute someone has symptoms. It's that simple. Stop the hospital admissions.
    We're seeing a piece or coal landing on the carpet and instead of picking it up and throwing back in the fire were waiting for the house to catch fire so we can call the fire brigade. Complete madness.

We don't need to throw people to the wolves, we need to start acting the minute someone has symptoms. It's that simple. Stop the hospital admissions.
    We're seeing a piece or coal landing on the carpet and instead of picking it up and throwing back in the fire were waiting for the house to catch fire so we can call the fire brigade. Complete madness.

Yes but some people are asymptiomatic. How many coughing people have you seen in the last year? No one coughs anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

So what happens if 90-95% of the population take this “vaccine” and the WHO tells us next year we have to take ANOTHER vaccine for a different strain?
    Sounds like a win win for Pharma
    This is complete BULLSH1T, we are actually weakening the human race. Eventually a common cold (similar virus I think) will wipe us out. We need to INCREASE our exposure to viruses and pathogens. Not try defeat them. Yes, people will die but we die all the time. There’s no cure for it, just a delaying process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

Andrew33 wrote: »
    So what happens if 90-95% of the population take this “vaccine” and the WHO tells us next year we have to take ANOTHER vaccine for a different strain?
    Sounds like a win win for Pharma
    This is complete BULLSH1T, we are actually weakening the human race. Eventually a common cold (similar virus I think) will wipe us out. We need to INCREASE our exposure to viruses and pathogens. Not try defeat them. Yes, people will die but we die all the time. There’s no cure for it, just a delaying process.

Generally science has been all about delaying death. I just don’t get this argument at all.

Also, no one knows what will happen in the future. We don’t know if we’ll need boosters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement