Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I and a lot of people like me sacrificed a normal Christmas and thanks to selfish so and sos like you Ive had a miserable January and February with the prospect of more to come. Also thanks to you my partners place of work hasn't reopened and most likely won't survive.
    Thanks for nothing. You know where to stick your sarcastic comments and responses.

the kelt wrote: »
    And some of them didn’t even have substantial meals when they came, feckin English coming over here and breaking our rules, leading us astray and we fell for it, couldn’t help ourselves and lost the run of ourselves having Christmas with our families.

It’s like 1169 only more covert this time around.

It’s time for the army on the streets, we’ve proven we can’t be trusted by having Christmas with our families, just now I’ve seen a fella I know jogging past the window and I know he’s well outside his 5k

It’s like the last days of Sodom and Gomorrah out there!

eggy81 wrote: »
    Was going for pints against the rules at Christmas?

It was if you had just arrived into Ireland and did not self isolate for ten days, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

bubblypop wrote: »
    You will probably find most of them were Irish, couldn't do without the few pints and craic at Christmas��
    I'm not sure how else you think the British variant got here?

You’re right, I mean we do share an actual land border with the uk with literally thousands of people crossing it every day

But

It was definitely only people flying home and going straight to the pub. I know the evidence around Christmas was that pubs etc were not a huge spreader but that can’t be right.

Them people should not be allowed back in the country again! Feckers can’t be trusted and have now polluted us with their lack of rule following.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

johnire wrote: »
    I and a lot of people like me sacrificed a normal Christmas and thanks to selfish so and sos like you Ive had a miserable January and February with the prospect of more to come. Also thanks to you my partners place of work hasn't reopened and most likely won't survive.
    Thanks for nothing. You know where to stick your sarcastic comments and responses.

So if everyone sacrificed Christmas like you, do you think you would have had a normal January and February. Did your partners place of work open for Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭eggy81

It was if you had just arrived into Ireland and did not self isolate for ten days, yes.

I agree with you there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭topdecko

growleaves wrote: »
    No there doesn't need to be a tacit understanding. I don't believe McConkey or regard him as sound. I would like to see definite proof accompanying definite conclusions. I will be celebrating Christmas this year as well, regardless of whatever spoofing is pulled out of a hat this winter

Do you dispute that the period between 4/12 - 20/12 and relaxation of restrictions led directly to the massive spike in Jan2021.
    the 7 day average of cases on December 4th - 294
    the 7 day average on Jan 1st 2021 - 6057

Hospitals quickly became overwhelmed later in the month of Jan. Are you saying this didn't happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭growleaves

topdecko wrote: »
    Do you dispute that the period between 4/12 - 20/12 and relaxation of restrictions led directly to the massive spike in Jan2021.

Hospitals quickly became overwhelmed later in the month of Jan. Are you saying this didn't happen?

Yes I dispute that the relaxation of restrictions led directly to the spike. I await proof that this was the case.

A just-as-plausible explanation is that Dec, Jan, Feb is the peak for respiratory illnesses anyway and that a winter spike was unavoidable.

I await proof either way.

Please also supply incontrovertible proof that the lockdowns must be as harsh as they are that banning trade is absolutely necessary. Thanks in advance.

johnire wrote: »

I can only apologise for my not wearing a mask serving Christmas dinner leading to your partners place of work not reopening

:eek:

Anyhooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

Is that the case fatality rate 0.6%? it still makes it worse than the flu with 0.2%. Actually if you adjust the 0.6% and include the under 65's your probably very close to the dare I say it...

Also noting that we have a vaccine for the flu in play but not yet for covid, at least not to have those numbers, which makes covid look less serious than the flu.

You’re right, I mean we do share an actual land border with the uk with literally thousands of people crossing it every day

But

It was definitely only people flying home and going straight to the pub. I know the evidence around Christmas was that pubs etc were not a huge spreader but that can’t be right.

Them people should not be allowed back in the country again! Feckers can’t be trusted and have now polluted us with their lack of rule following.

So, can't answer a simple question then.
    How do you think it got here? Is your answer over the border with northern Ireland?
    Not a chance it could be the 50,000+ arrivals into the country from the UK mainland then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

topdecko wrote: »

How did it compare to previous years?

So, can't answer a simple question then.
    How do you think it got here? Is your answer over the border with northern Ireland?
    Not a chance it could be the 50,000+ arrivals into the country from the UK mainland then

I agreed with you, there’s no other possible scenario other than the one you posted that brought the variant in, none, naddda, no other way it could possibly came in other than people coming over and going straight to the pub!

Ban these people for life, everyone of them that flew home to be with their families. Wouldn’t you agree?

Them other variants that came in, the exact same, people coming in and straight to the puuuu oh!

I agreed with you, there’s no other possible scenario other than the one you posted that brought the variant in, none, naddda, no other way it could possibly came in other than people coming over and going straight to the pub!

Ban these people for life, everyone of them that flew home to be with their families. Wouldn’t you agree?

Them other variants that came in, the exact same, people coming in and straight to the puuuu oh!

Did anyone say anything about banning people?
    You seem to be way over the top with your sarcasm.
    I don't care for lockdown, I want things open tomorrow, however that doesn't mean that I am blind to evidence.
    What's the issue with just stating the facts as they are?

Yes I dispute that the relaxation of restrictions led directly to the spike. I await proof that this was the case.

A just-as-plausible explanation is that Dec, Jan, Feb is the peak for respiratory illnesses anyway ans that a winter spike was unavoidable.

Please also supply incontrovertible proof that the lockdowns must be as harsh as they are that banning trade is absolutely necessary. Thanks in advance.

How people don’t see this is baffling.
    A respiratory illness peaked all over Europe during the peak season for respiratory illnesses.

It didn’t happen because people got a haircut and had a portion of wings with a few pints.

Did anyone say anything about banning people?
    You seem to be way over the top with your sarcasm.
    I don't care for lockdown, I want things open tomorrow, however that doesn't mean that I am blind to evidence.
    What's the issue with just stating the facts as they are?

Jeez I’m agreeing with ye.

There’s no other way possible that the Kent variant came in to the country other than people coming in and going straight to the pub like you said.

No other way possible.

I’m sure there’s evidence somewhere for that... But I don’t need it, it could only be that way.

I think you’re right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

A just-as-plausible explanation is that Dec, Jan, Feb is the peak for respiratory illnesses anyway and that a winter spike was unavoidable.

You'll have people on here try to tell you there's no evidence of seasonality despite the fact we had plenty open last summer with hardly any spread of the virus.

A year is too soon to come to conclusions on seasonality apparently, but it only takes 5 minutes to confirm a new variant as the bringer of the end times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

A respiratory illness peaked all over Europe during the peak season for respiratory illnesses.

It didn’t happen because people got a haircut and had a portion of wings with a few pints.
    So by the very same logic, seeing as it peaked here last March/April/May, we can expect the numbers to rise rapidly over the next couple of weeks?

Damn, just when we thought there was some light ahead...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Also noting that we have a vaccine for the flu in play but not yet for covid, at least not to have those numbers, which makes covid look less serious than the flu.

A very good observation, hadn't factored the vaccine and treatments for the flu into it.
    This is way less serious than the flu shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I’m agreeing with you, what we done was horrific. You’re right we just dont know how to follow rules, we are terrible, can’t be trusted.

My neighbour on Christmas Day when I dropped a Christmas gift off was sitting down to dinner and didn’t have all the windows open, I mean what did we expect?

And we had one extra person visit the house over Christmas which was stupid because that one extra person had a cup of tea one day which went above the allowed household mixing threshold.

And I hugged someone, I know I should have but she had lost her husband to suicide and my resolve wavered, she is a family friend but not in our bubble and I gave her a hug.

My brother in law went out for a drink with a friend and didn’t have a substantial meal to go with it, jeez that’s it, when this is all over he can go to hell.

I mean even the other day when I think about it, I didn’t slow down to under 50km per hour until I was gone past the sign coming into town..

Jesus Christ when I think about it we just can’t follow restrictions in this country and can’t be trusted. You’re right, dead right.

Oh yes. If you had an argument you thought was strong and you felt confident you could make it well, the I think you’d just do so. Instead you posted an entirely ironic post which doesn’t make an argument at all.

Maybe you approach the whole topic as a joke, and that’s fine is that’s the case. I see it and a serious issue that affects lots of people in serious ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Scotty # wrote: »
    So by the very same logic, seeing as it peaked here last March/April/May, we can expect the numbers to rise rapidly over the next couple of weeks?

Damn, just when we thought there was some light ahead...

If this is why they're leaving the restrictions in place people would understand if they were upfront about it and still left the door open to lift the restrictions sooner if the spike they're expecting doesn't happen. Instead their just hemming and hawwing through it all. Looking like a bunch of clowns who have no idea what they're doing. Its their own fault people are fed up and are breaking restrictions.

• Advertisement

That could also be said. But it doesn’t explain why we had higher rates than the actual uk where the UK variant came from.

Because the UK has many dense population centers (cities) spread out across the country and we have precisely one.

A virus spreading rapidly through Dublin is going to do things to Ireland's per capita numbers that a virus rapidly spreading through London but not yet taking hold in Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow etc. etc. etc. simply will not do to the UK's per capita numbers.

Oh yes. If you had an argument you thought was strong and you felt confident you could make it well, the I think you’d just do so. Instead you posted an entirely ironic post which doesn’t make an argument at all.

Maybe you approach the whole topic as a joke, and that’s fine is that’s the case. I see it and a serious issue that affects lots of people in serious ways.

It’s very serious.

I mean we have an entire population that can’t be trusted according to you, i mean they had Christmas with their families, it can’t get much more serious.

I mean we had a perfect storm of a relaxation of restrictions coupled with a variant that was much more serious all coming at the same time that no one saw coming (including nphet who had said no problem in relaxing either hospitality or house visits and the government to be fair) but those people having Christmas with their families was the real problem.

As a result Irish people can’t be trusted, you’re right. I agree with you, terrible carry on.

I mean the government couldn’t foresee what was going to happen, even nphet didn’t foresee the extent but the people should have known better and smelled that new variant in the air, they can’t be trusted.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    If this is why they're leaving the restrictions in place people would understand....
    It's not.
    Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Instead their just hemming and hawwing through it all. Looking like a bunch of clowns who have no idea what they're doing.
    For much of it they don't know what they're doing. It's an evolving situation with a novel virus. They're relying on predicion models and guesstimates most of the time. They don't know what it's going to do next and it's very hard to plan ahead when you don't know what's going to happen next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Scotty # wrote: »
    It's not.

For much of it they don't know what they're doing. It's an evolving situation with a novel virus. They're relying on predicion models and guesstimates most of the time. They don't know what it's going to do next and it's very hard to plan ahead when you don't know what's going to happen next.

That is all very fine, but you have to realise that people here want them to act without any knowledge so that they can give out if it doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

The pro lockdown crowd are clutching at straws trying to blame anyone and everyone at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

GazzaL wrote: »
    The pro 'its all a big conspiracy" crowd are clutching at straws trying to blame anyone and everyone at this stage.

Fyp...

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

They’ll always be a new variant. We can’t live like this for much longer but “Another few weeks now keep going, hold firm” bullsssssiht. we were told the vaccines were the way out. Why even after the vunrable are vaccinated do the government want us to be locked in? the govt are robbing people of hope and something to look forward to. My mother had to pay thousands of euro today to a landlord as she is a hairdresser.... she has barely worked and the PUP DOESNT COVER THE RENt.

We have to truly lost sight reality. This virus is no more dangerous than the mental health issues that are sweeping the nation, or the numerous cancer patients who have no treatment options.

Fair play to those who went out and did a PEACEFUL protest today. Shame on the thug that had the firework. There’s always a bad egg.

There’s more to life than the avoidance of death. If the cost of being alive is to suppress everything and stay locked in.. there’s no point in living

So you prefer your own personal theory that seasonality is to blame for the observed peak flowing the Christmas period - as opposed to accepting that the relaxation of restrictions was responsible?

Even though the jury on seasonality is still out?

https://www.thejournal.ie/is-coronavirus-partially-seasonal-leo-varadkar-5338003-Jan2021/

Lets look another known Pandemic outbreak - the 1918 Flu (a respiratory illness) where the
    outbreak was widespread in the summer and autumn through 1918-19 out side the peak season for other respiratory illnesses

Or that a study on the same pandemic found that measures such as banning mass gatherings and requiring the wearing of face masks could cut the death rate up to 50 percent, but this was dependent on them being imposed early in the outbreak and not being lifted prematurely.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1849868/

What is known is that restictions / lockdowns should be as proportional and relative to the rate of infection / risk of health services being overrun

Afaik there is no absolute banning of trade btw

Please also supply incontrovertible proof that the Pandemic is purely seasonal. Thanks

Skipduke wrote: »
    Fair play to those who went out and did a PEACEFUL protest today. Shame on the thug that had the firework. There’s always a bad egg.
    Absolute bollocks! There's no one thick enough to go to that today thinking it was going to be a peaceful protest. No one.

They same knuckle draggers at the protest will be on here again later crying 'cause we're still in lockdown and they can't pay their bills. No one to blame but themselves. I've no sympathy for them.

• Advertisement

Skipduke wrote: »
    They’ll always be a new variant. We can’t live like this for much longer but “Another few weeks now keep going, hold firm” bullsssssiht. we were told the vaccines were the way out. Why even after the vunrable are vaccinated do the government want us to be locked in? the govt are robbing people of hope and something to look forward to.

There’s more to life than the avoidance of death. If the cost of being alive is to suppress everything and stay locked in.. there’s no point in living

Most likely for the exact same reasons that no other government at the current rate of vaccination here or even ahead of us like the UK have got rid of restrictions. Or have not putbin place stict caveats for the rollback of existing restrictions.

Yes there will likely "always be a variant". The fact is we remain in the middle of this pandemic and are currently in the process of vaccination based on the current strains. And yes the spread of new varient as happened at Christmas remains a significant risk.

Screaming about it helps nothing. Deciding to go on protest in the midst of a pandemic is truely absolutely mind boggingly stupid...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement