Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Lockheed

GazzaL wrote: »
    Life experience, my bollocks. If you're young and consider this to be "life experience", God help you.

Accidents and non-COVID illnesses account for far, far more deaths than COVID, but I accept there are risks in life and don't worry about every little thing that could cause harm. I could get knocked down crossing the road, it's a matter of life and death, yet I don't **** myself every day when I step to the edge of the footpath.

I survived a global pandemic will be a good story to tell the grandchildren.

I'll also have plenty of anecdotes about gob****es like you supporting violent protests and sharing what amounts to nothing more then propaganda and hearsay against a very real and tangible threat to society - especially the vulnerable.

Sometimes you might forget it, but there are still nurses and doctors pulling 24/36 hour shifts to keep people (the likes of which very possibly could have been you) alive.

Do your bit, stay home, and give over with the 'its no threat to me' crap. It is killing people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

No sign of GingernLemon today.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0227/1199742-st-stephens-green-protest/

I wonder if he's in jail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Lockheed wrote: »
    I survived a global pandemic will be a good story to tell the grandchildren.

I'll also have plenty of anecdotes about gob****es like you supporting violent protests and sharing what amounts to nothing more then propaganda and hearsay against a very real and tangible threat to society - especially the vulnerable.

Sometimes you might forget it, but there are still nurses and doctors pulling 24/36 hour shifts to keep people (the likes of which very possibly could have been you) alive.

Do your bit, stay home, and give over with the 'its no threat to me' crap. It is killing people.

:pac:

I can't wait to tell my future grandkids that I survived crossing the road. Crossing the road is killing people. It takes one bad ass mutha****a to cross the road and live to tell the tale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Imagine being in ICU with a tube stuck down your throat. Or in the A&E with a 3rd degree burn on your head.

Imagine being in A&E from an overdose or a near fatal self-inflicted injury after hearing that even after we have everyone vaccinated, the things which make your life worth living will still be off the table possibly for years to come, with no explanation as to why?

There has to be balance in this discussion in the public discourse and there hasn't been any, and that's a problem. I'm honestly genuinely shocked that people don't see how pushing the idea of social distancing (meaning no new friendships and no new relationships, essentially) being something which remains for months or years even after the vaccine rollout is something which could very, very easily push people over the edge.

Look, solitary confinement is known to cause extreme and long lasting psychological harm to people when it's used in prisons, etc. If someone lives in a studio apartment and is new to a town or city so hasn't made any friends yet, how is that any different? Honest question. There has to be an upper limit for how long we as a society are willing to tolerate this without searching for alternative ways to deal with the problem.

Imagine being in A&E from an overdose or a near fatal self-inflicted injury after hearing that even after we have everyone vaccinated, the things which make your life worth living will still be off the table possibly for years to come, with no explanation as to why?

There has to be balance in this discussion in the public discourse and there hasn't been any, and that's a problem. I'm honestly genuinely shocked that people don't see how pushing the idea of social distancing (meaning no new friendships and no new relationships, essentially) being something which remains for months or years even after the vaccine rollout is something which could very, very easily push people over the edge.

Look, solitary confinement is known to cause extreme and long lasting psychological harm to people when it's used in prisons, etc. If someone lives in a studio apartment and is new to a town or city so hasn't made any friends yet, how is that any different? Honest question. There has to be an upper limit for how long we as a society are willing to tolerate this without searching for alternative ways to deal with the problem.

Yeah it’s beyond a joke now, people are really suffering. Heard of a local person on the verge of a breakdown, someone who used to be very outgoing but hasn’t left the house since March and is in a very bad state. This is what pro longed lockdowns are doing, damaging mental health left right and centre. And the thing is before all this there was a great emphasis on mental health and big campaigns about taking care and now all of that good work is being undone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Ha ha.... I was thinking the same thing.
    mcsean2163 wrote: »
    No sign of GingernLemon today.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0227/1199742-st-stephens-green-protest/

I wonder if he's in jail?

A lot of these issues of chronic loneliness and isolation existed before the pandemic - we have a world where it is incredibly easy to become ostracized and removed from life, its been happening for the last century. It is a major issue recently especially with social media. Here, the Irish culture toward drinking makes it an even bigger issue.

I highly doubt you cared much about them before, the sad cases with no relationship and no friends, so why now? You're only using that as a crutch because you are bored in the house and are desperate for this lockdown to end.

Get off your high horse and stop pretending you care about the physiological factors that cause loneliness and admit you just want to go down the pub or play a round of golf again.

It's pure selfishness. Just stay at home and stay alive, it's really not that hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Just reading the last few posts because i couldn’t be bothered reading the shyte being posted further back but the impression i’m getting is that there are posters on here thinking that restrictions like SD etc etc will be here for years to come even post vaccination programs.

LOL. People who think this are deluded, sad and are living in fantasy land. But keep dreaming if it makes ye feel better. Lol

This will end no if’s or butts about it and mark this post for future reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

A lot of these issues of chronic loneliness and isolation existed before the pandemic - we have a world where it is incredibly easy to become ostracized and removed from life, its been happening for the last century. It is a major issue recently especially with social media. Here, the Irish culture toward drinking makes it an even bigger issue.

I highly doubt you cared much about them before, the sad cases with no relationship and no friends, so why now? You're only using that as a crutch because you are bored in the house and are desperate for this lockdown to end.

Get off your high horse and stop pretending you care about the physiological factors that cause loneliness

This comment is ignorant as f*ck. It takes a lot for an internet comment to cause me to lose my temper but holy f*cking sh!t you have no idea what you're talking about. Chronic loneliness and feeling isolated is what came within a hair's breath from landing me in A&E for the reasons I outlined in my previous post ten years ago this coming Autumn. It took ten years of extensive healing in order for me to be in the place I'm at now in which, thankfully, this lockdown has been bearable. And to be honest, I put that down to an immunity of sorts, having gone through this before I know how to deal with it in my head so that (so far!) those thoughts haven't managed to take hold, even though I do notice them knocking at the door with increasing frequency.

You haven't the first f*cking clue what you're talking about when you make a comment like this. The fact that I've been there before and have been very open about it in the intervening years is precisely why I know that the current social distancing rules are causing others to experience these type of crises. Because people I know come to me for help. Because I'm the guy people call when they feel like sh!t and need a pick me up. Because I'm the guy people know will try to talk them down when they feel like this because people know I've been here before. That's how I know. That's why I'm empathetic. That's why I'm making the comments I'm making.

Pretending I care? Honestly f*ck right off with this sh!t. What an unimaginably f*cked up take on literally anything I've said on this subject.
    and admit you just want to go down the pub or play a round of golf again.

Pub, golf, dinner, cinema, walk, I couldn't give a f*ck. I want to see my friends again. So do most people I know. It's been almost a f*cking year for Christ's sake and the government are talking about putting us through this even after we're all vaccinated. That's what's pushing people over the edge. Your comment is so ignorant I honestly don't know why I'm bothering to respond. And I don't mind holding back until mass vaccination. I never did. I mind entertaining the suggestion that this is a longer term situation that we'll be asked to maintain after we reach critical mass. That is unacceptable to me and unacceptable to anyone other than the lucky minority of introverts who are happy to interact with other human beings only through the glass metal box in their hand. For the rest of us, it's a living death.
    It's pure selfishness. Just stay at home and stay alive, it's really not that hard.

Yes. It is. Staying alive during this period of near total social isolation is f*cking hard for many, many people, myself included. If it's not hard for you, then fair f*cks to you. Try having even the tiniest amount of empathy for others before you post this kind of heartless f*cking bullsh!t.

And yes, I know I'm going to get carded for this. On this one occasion, I don't care. A comment like that is owed a heartfelt response, so there it is.

Jesus f*cking Christ. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

This comment is ignorant as f*ck. It takes a lot for an internet comment to cause me to lose my temper but holy f*cking sh!t you have no idea what you're talking about. Chronic loneliness and feeling isolated is what came within a hair's breath from landing me in A&E for the reasons I outlined in my previous post ten years ago this coming Autumn. It took ten years of extensive healing in order for me to be in the place I'm at now in which, thankfully, this lockdown has been bearable. And to be honest, I put that down to an immunity of sorts, having gone through this before I know how to deal with it in my head so that (so far!) those thoughts haven't managed to take hold, even though I do notice them knocking at the door with increasing frequency.

You haven't the first f*cking clue what you're talking about when you make a comment like this. The fact that I've been there before and have been very open about it in the intervening years is precisely why I know that the current social distancing rules are causing others to experience these type of crises. Because people I know come to me for help. Because I'm the guy people call when they feel like sh!t and need a pick me up. Because I'm the guy people know will try to talk them down when they feel like this because people know I've been here before. That's how I know. That's why I'm empathetic. That's why I'm making the comments I'm making.

Pretending I care? Honestly f*ck right off with this sh!t. What an unimaginably f*cked up take on literally anything I've said on this subject.

Pub, golf, dinner, cinema, walk, I couldn't give a f*ck. I want to see my friends again. So do most people I know. It's been almost a f*cking year for Christ's sake and the government are talking about putting us through this even after we're all vaccinated. That's what's pushing people over the edge. Your comment is so ignorant I honestly don't know why I'm bothering to respond. And I don't mind holding back until mass vaccination. I never did. I mind entertaining the suggestion that this is a longer term situation that we'll be asked to maintain after we reach critical mass. That is unacceptable to me and unacceptable to anyone other than the lucky minority of introverts who are happy to interact with other human beings only through the glass metal box in their hand. For the rest of us, it's a living death.

Yes. It is. Staying alive during this period of near total social isolation is f*cking hard for many, many people, myself included. If it's not hard for you, then fair f*cks to you. Try having even the tiniest amount of empathy for others before you post this kind of heartless f*cking bullsh!t.

And yes, I know I'm going to get carded for this. On this one occasion, I don't care. A comment like that is owed a heartfelt response, so there it is.

You have to remember your getting angry with someone who actually loves lockdown

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116267622&postcount=1987

• Advertisement

Hat trick Patrick we’ll get to a better place the summer is coming in longer evenings brighter warmer days, society has to return to its normal functioning, psychologists, and loads of other people taking about mental health and the toil this is taking on people. There has to be reason and sanity still left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,732 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

GazzaL wrote: »
    The people who defend lockdowns are the same as those that defended the likes of mother and baby homes and institutional paedophiles.

I never understood how people covered up and even defended these things until this.

Ah FFS. Getting carried away here.

The anti-lockdown brigade are, as we have seen on the streets lacking a few brain cells.

I have an immense amount of empathy for the gardai and the doctors and the supermarket workers, specifically the gardai that were targeted by a lunatic with fireworks. Some people don't :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What are you on about exactly? . That's just bizarre stuff you've made up in your head apparently

Get off your high horse and stop pretending you care about the physiological factors that cause loneliness and admit you just want to go down the pub or play a round of golf again.

How long are you personally willing to just stay at home and stay alive? Will you ever have bigger hopes or dreams?

Are you financially impacted by Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

gozunda wrote: »
    What are you on about exactly? . That's just bizarre stuff you've made up in your head apparently

I don’t think it’s in his head when it’s being reported in newspapers that after vaccination we still have the excitement of future lockdowns to look forward to.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/6613134/leo-varadkar-fourth-lockdown-vaccine-future-wave-covid-19/

How long are you personally willing to just stay at home and stay alive? Will you ever have bigger hopes or dreams?

Are you financially impacted by Covid?

The industry I'm studying has been hit particularly badly and I won't get to do a work placement and I did lose my job as I worked in hospitality. Sure it's not ideal but I'll survive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

dalyboy wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s in his head when it’s being reported in newspapers that after vaccination we still have the excitement of future lockdowns to look forward to.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/6613134/leo-varadkar-fourth-lockdown-vaccine-future-wave-covid-19/

However the most important part of the article:

“” “Nobody can make that promise but the difference is that with huge numbers of people vaccinated with better treatments, with better knowledge about the virus, this is one that we can perhaps manage like we do other viruses into the future and not have the lockdown.””

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I can say the same to you that you didnt care about old people dying before but now you pretend to cos your loving lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

markodaly wrote: »
    Ah FFS. Getting carried away here.

The anti-lockdown brigade are, as we have seen on the streets lacking a few brain cells.

This is true, but can you say the same in two months when we're facing the same resctrictions with negligible case?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

Some people have zero comprehension of how debilitating mental illness can be. Best not to waste energy on them. I would never wish depression on anybody. Let's hope that person never has to experience it. Best leave them to wallow in their ignorance Patrick

johnmck wrote: »
    Some people have zero comprehension of how debilitating mental illness can be. Best not to waste energy on them. I would never wish depression on anybody. Let's hope that person never has to experience it. Best leave them to wallow in their ignorance Patrick

I do actually suffer from depression and take medication and see a psychiatrist
    but sure, let me wallow in my own ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Micky 32 wrote: »
    However the most important part of the article:

“” “Nobody can make that promise but the difference is that with huge numbers of people vaccinated with better treatments, with better knowledge about the virus, this is one that we can perhaps manage like we do other viruses into the future and not have the lockdown.””

Given the survival rate is 99% and 95% for the the vulnerable this is already a manageable virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Imagine being imprisoned by the totalitarian state along with millions of others...

Which totaliatarian state are you referring to? North Korea maybe? Because it certainly isn`t Ireland despite what the boys in the North are brainwashing you to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Scotty # wrote: »
    Numbers are still too high unfortunately.

We had more people in ICU this week than we had in March /April/May.

But we're getting there. I think things will start top open up soon. We've gone from talking about 1000's to talking about 100's and even 50's and 10's.

But then you get what we saw today in Dublin. Masses of people putting each other at risk and possibly causing an outbreak that could add hundreds to the numbers. It only takes one or two to pick it up, and then go to work in a factory tomorrow and spread it to 10's more. That's how outbreaks work. That's why it's taking so long to get out of lockdown.

I very much doubt that the scrotes who caused all the trouble in Dublin today will be going to work in a factory or anywhere else for that matter anytime in the foreseeable future. And not due to any closure of businesses either..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

The industry I'm studying has been hit particularly badly and I won't get to do a work placement and I did lose my job as I worked in hospitality. Sure it's not ideal but I'll survive

I'm hospitality too. Definitely not looking too good for us for the foreseeable future.

I'm looking at hotel jobs in Florida. No lockdowns, masks or social distancing since Aug 2020. And shock and horrors they're not dropping like flies like the fear mongers would have us believe if we opened up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Given the survival rate is 99% and 95% for the the vulnerable this is already a manageable virus.

Diarrheal disease, kill practically zero in Europe on any given year. Europe has effective treatment for Diarrheal disease.

Diarrheal diseases kill over 1.6 million in Africa and India every year. Mostly children. Globally the highest killer of children every year. Easily preventable but Africa and India don't have effective treatment.

The covid mortality rate is where it is BECAUSE of lockdowns, because hospital beds were available, because intensive care units were available, because there were enough ventilators (mostly).

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Scotty # wrote: »
    Diarrheal disease, kill practically zero in Europe on any given year. Europe has effective treatment for Diarrheal disease.

Diarrheal diseases kill over 1.6 million in Africa and India every year. Mostly children. Globally the highest killer of children every year. Easily preventable but Africa and India don't have effective treatment.

The covid mortality rate is where it is BECAUSE of lockdowns, because hospital beds were available, because intensive care units were available, because there were enough ventilators (mostly).

WHO has literally come out and said lockdowns are not the answer. We are literally the laughing stock of Europe. Government hiding behind lockdown# to mask how sh!te out health care system is & the HSE. We've been in level 5 lockdown for about 6 months, 6 FU&KING MONTHS. If this was France, the city would turn into a battleground as they dont put up with government incompetence and actually have a bit of spine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

dalyboy wrote: »

I was replying specifically to this
    the things which make your life worth living will still be off the table possibly for years to come, with no explanation as to why?

Even the article from The Sun you linked goes to explain what the likleyhoods are. No mention "things which make your life worth living... being off the table ...for years to come" either.

From. Your link on what was said with the caveat it's impossible to tell the future.
    Speaking on Newstalk radio this morning, Mr Varadkar said that nobody can promise that there will not be future waves of the virus and future restrictions.

He said: “No, I can’t. That’s certainly our intention and our plan but nobody can promise that. 

“Even when everyone is vaccinated … or everyone who wants to be vaccinated, lets say in August or September the virus isn’t necessarily going to go away. 

“A lot of scientists believe it’s endemic, it’s always going to be somewhere in the world and there may be future waves.

“Nobody can make that promise but the difference is that with huge numbers of people vaccinated with better treatments, with better knowledge about the virus, this is one that we can perhaps manage like we do other viruses into the future and not have the lockdown.

“The promise there won’t be a fourth wave or a fourth lockdown isn’t something I think anybody can promise unfortunately.”

• Advertisement

bosco12345 wrote: »
    WHO has literally come out and said lockdowns are not the answer. We are literally the laughing stock of Europe. Government hiding behind lockdown# to mask how sh!te out health care system is & the HSE. We've been in level 5 lockdown for about 6 months, 6 FU&KING MONTHS. If this was France, the city would turn into a battleground as they dont put up with government incompetence and actually have a bit of spine

You're gas!!
    Dunno why you think Europe is laughing at us, I have friends in many different European countries & we are all in and out of lock down at various different times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement