Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

bubblypop wrote: »
    You're gas!!
    Dunno why you think Europe is laughing at us, I have friends in many different European countries & we are all in and out of lock down at various different times.

The answer is in your own post.. "and out" - the problem is we don't come out. If you can show me one country that's been in lockdown for 5 of the last 6 months, please do.

Monster249 wrote: »
    The answer is in your own post.. "and out" - the problem is we don't come out. If you can show me one country that's been in lockdown for 5 of the last 6 months, please do.

We have gone in and out of different levels, as has many others.

RTÉ with an article out just now that basically says the vaccine won’t end restrictions anyways.

Beyond a joke in this country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

bosco12345 wrote: »
    WHO has literally come out and said lockdowns are not the answer...
    ...but are sometimes necessary.
    We've been in level 5 lockdown for about 6 months...
    3pm 24th December. Barely 2 months.
    If this was France, the city would turn into a battleground as they dont put up with government incompetence and actually have a bit of spine
    France is under a 6pm-6am curfew for which you must have a certificate to break. Travel limit is 1km. Heavier limits at weekends. €135 fine for breaches.

We'll come out of lockdown when the time is right. The earlier we come out of it the more likely we'll end up back in it. Coming out of lockdown does not mean we go back to pre-covid lifestyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Monster249 wrote: »

Other European countries had much more severe restrictions. We did lock down lite. So in those countries you were limited to within a few hundred meters of your house, permits to leave and go shopping, curfews, shops closing early and lock downs prior to Christmas 2020. Yes weve probably had the longest cumulative period of lockdown, but nowhere like the severity of other European countries. Its probably really only in this phase of level 5 that you get the impression the gardai are taking it seriously with in the spot fines etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

the kelt wrote: »

That’s the kind of article you can predict and expect from RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Other European countries had much more severe restrictions. We did lock down lite. So in those countries you were limited to within a few hundred meters of your house, permits to leave and go shopping, curfews, shops closing early and lock downs prior to Christmas 2020. Yes weve probably had the longest cumulative period of lockdown, but nowhere like the severity of other European countries. Its probably really only in this phase of level 5 that you get the impression the gardai are taking it seriously with in the spot fines etc.

Do you not realise our lockdown has been so extensive and long winded that it is 100 times worse than having a curfew. Their shops remained open, and they have freedom now.

5k might seem lax to you, but for someone living in the backarse of nowhere it’s very restrictive. The curfew would’ve made no difference here if it was implemented. Where would you be going after 9pm anyways ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It’s very serious.

I mean we have an entire population that can’t be trusted according to you, i mean they had Christmas with their families, it can’t get much more serious.

I mean we had a perfect storm of a relaxation of restrictions coupled with a variant that was much more serious all coming at the same time that no one saw coming (including nphet who had said no problem in relaxing either hospitality or house visits and the government to be fair) but those people having Christmas with their families was the real problem.

As a result Irish people can’t be trusted, you’re right. I agree with you, terrible carry on.

I mean the government couldn’t foresee what was going to happen, even nphet didn’t foresee the extent but the people should have known better and smelled that new variant in the air, they can’t be trusted.

Yeah, fair enough. I see the whole issue as being very serious but you’re perfectly within your rifts to treat it as a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Our government are a joke.

Facts show that we have had the harshest lockdown with very little benefits.

EvTsyu2WgAAjyr1?format=jpg&name=900x900

Where is that graph from?
    I have friends in Bulgaria, and there was definitely more then 7 days where things were shut.
    They are just opening up now after a lockdown since before xmas

In fairness that graph is nonsense. The vast majority of business are open.

I'm just back from the local retail park...

Harvey Norman - Open (and packed)
    TK Max - Closed
    Argos - Open
    DID - Open
    Homebase - Open
    Carpet Right - Closed
    Costa Coffee - Open
    Aldi - Open
    Home store & More - Open

You only have to look at rush hour traffic everyday to see that most places are open.

Personally, I don't think any retail should be closed once they can show they're conforming to guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Scotty # wrote: »

TK Max - Closed
    Argos - Open
    DID - Open
    Homebase - Open
    Carpet Right - Closed
    Costa Coffee - Open
    Aldi - Open
    Home store & More - Open

You only have to look at rush hour traffic everyday to see that most places are open.

Personally, I don't think any retail should be closed once they can show they're conforming to guidelines.

A huge amount of retail is closed or restricted as to what they can sell, and there is no plan or timeline from the Government as to when they can fully reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭haskellgeek

Lockheed wrote: »
    I have an immense amount of empathy for the gardai and the doctors and the supermarket workers, specifically the gardai that were targeted by a lunatic with fireworks. Some people don't :rolleyes:

Never said they didn't have empathy for the gardai

Imagine being in A&E from an overdose or a near fatal self-inflicted injury after hearing that even after we have everyone vaccinated, the things which make your life worth living will still be off the table possibly for years to come, with no explanation as to why?

Who told you we will get everyone vaccinated?

And who told you what will happen after we have everyone vaccinated?

RTÉ with an article out just now that basically says the vaccine won’t end restrictions anyways.
    This is not news to anyone who's had the remotest interest in covid news over the last 12 months.
    Beyond a joke in this country
    Elaborate please. What have we done differently that we're beyond a joke in this country specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

This is not news to anyone who's had the remotest interest in covid news over the last 12 months.

So we lockdown forever? That's definitely news to most people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Who told you we will get everyone vaccinated?

And who told you what will happen after we have everyone vaccinated?

Y'know what, I'm not engaging with this round-in-circles sh!te anymore until you answer the following question:

How long do you think it is acceptable to ask people observe social distancing from those not in their immediate bubble, regardless of all other factors? Do you have any kind of cut-off and if so, what is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,281 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What's NPHET's estimation of transmission from asymptomatic/presymptomatic spread does anyone know? This data must be available as it's the basis for restrictions on people who aren't sick.

• Advertisement

You have to remember your getting angry with someone who actually loves lockdown

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116267622&postcount=1987

Sweet Jesus on a bicycle. I remember reading that post a while back and if I'd realised this was who I was responding to, I certainly wouldn't have let it get to me the way it did. User is either a troll or that guy from the Warcraft episode of South Park. :eek:
    gansi wrote: »
    Hat trick Patrick we’ll get to a better place the summer is coming in longer evenings brighter warmer days, society has to return to its normal functioning, psychologists, and loads of other people taking about mental health and the toil this is taking on people. There has to be reason and sanity still left.

I hope so. I'm just getting immensely frustrated by the number of people who apparently think asking humans to live in socially isolated bubbles in perpetuity is an acceptable long term scenario and continuously dodge the question when asked if they have a limit to the acceptability of that.
    Lockheed wrote: »
    I have an immense amount of empathy for the gardai and the doctors and the supermarket workers, specifically the gardai that were targeted by a lunatic with fireworks. Some people don't :rolleyes:

What has any of this got to do with anything I posted? I didn't mention the protest or the scumbag with the rocket (who honestly in my view should be charged with attempted murder, there's easily enough explosive flash powder in rockets manufactured in the last couple of years to punch a hole straight through someone's head in the right circumstances and there's no way anyone can argue that firing one at somebody's head isn't a clear attempt to kill)
    gozunda wrote: »
    What are you on about exactly? . That's just bizarre stuff you've made up in your head apparently

It's really not, but I'm getting so weary of re-hashing this sh!t that in all honesty I'm not sure I can carry on in this debate.
    gozunda wrote: »
    I was replying specifically to this

Even the article from The Sun you linked goes to explain what the likleyhoods are. No mention "things which make your life worth living... being off the table ...for years to come" either.

From. Your link on what was said with the caveat it's impossible to tell the future.

Do you accept that the idea of social distancing being in place until "well into next year" (direct quote from Leo Varadkar) is being widely talked about at this point?

Y'know what, I'm not engaging with this round-in-circles sh!te anymore until you answer the following question:

How long do you think it is acceptable to ask people observe social distancing from those not in their immediate bubble, regardless of all other factors? Do you have any kind of cut-off and if so, what is it?

You don’t want to engage into because I keep pointing out when you misremember (being generous) and intentionally misrepresent (more likely the more consistently you do it).

The answer is that nobody told you we would vaccinate everyone, nobody told you we would have lockdowns after we vaccinate everyone. You misremembered (or intentionally misrepresented) what was said.

It’s pretty important to be honest about what was actually said. It’s silly to make up your own interpretation and then get cross about your misrepresentation of the situation.

I don’t have a number or a date to answer your question. That’s just the honest answer using the information I have available to me. They’re vaccinating away as best they can and the weather is getting warmer. Hopefully the we can vaccinate, get numbers down and lift restrictions and reopen over summer. With luck, it’ll all be done before the weather cools and we don’t need any more restrictions.

You don’t want to engage into because I keep pointing out when you misremember (being generous) and intentionally misrepresent (more likely the more consistently you do it).

I'm not misrepresenting anything. We are now being told that we likely have to keep social distancing rules through next Winter. Are you disagreeing with this?
    The answer is that nobody told you we would vaccinate everyone, nobody told you we would have lockdowns after we vaccinate everyone. You misremembered (or intentionally misrepresented) what was said.

Ok fine, strike "everyone" for "70-80%", which we were continually told was the requirement for "critical mass" or herd immunity.
    It’s pretty important to be honest about what was actually said. It’s silly to make up your own interpretation and then get cross about your misrepresentation of the situation.

I'm not. I'm getting frustrated because nobody, including yourself, will answer as to how long this situation is tenable or acceptable.
    I don’t have a number to a date to answer your question. That’s just the honest answer using the information I have available to me. They’re vaccinating away as best they can and the weather is getting warmer. Hopefully the we can vaccinate, get numbers down and lift restrictions and reopen over summer. With luck, it’ll all be done before the weather cools and we don’t need any more restrictions.

This is patently ridiculous. You've been saying in the back and forth with me specifically that you don't think September is realistic for mass vaccination and that we might still need social distancing next Winter!

This is ridiculous.

I'm not misrepresenting anything. We are now being told that we likely have to keep social distancing rules through next Winter. Are you disagreeing with this?

Ok fine, strike "everyone" for "70-80%", which we were continually told was the requirement for "critical mass" or herd immunity.

I'm not. I'm getting frustrated because nobody, including yourself, will answer as to how long this situation is tenable or acceptable.

This is patently ridiculous. You've been saying in the back and forth with me specifically that you don't think September is realistic for mass vaccination and that we might still need social distancing next Winter!

This is ridiculous.

I’m not disagreeing that we’re being told we might need distancing next winter. We both agree that we’ve been told we might need social distancing next winter.

There’s a huge difference between vaccinating everyone (the way you misrepresented it the first time) and vaccinating 70-80% of the population. And we were told that 70-80% was the threshold for herd immunity according to the predictive models, before the fact. They were estimates, not guarantees.

What do you think happens when we achieve herd immunity? Do you think that at 74% there’s no herd immunity and at 75% suddenly there is herd immunity so we can all stop distancing? Who told you that would happen.

We’re all frustrated that we don’t have the answers to when we will get back to normal. Some of us are managing to stick to the facts without misrepresenting them. It’s not as if I, and the government, have the answers and we’re just not sharing them with you. Nobody knows the answers yet.

Neither of us think the September target is likely to be achieved and we’ve been told there might be need for some restrictions next winter. Leo said so again in the interview posted a couple of pages ago. I suppose the more vaccination they achieve before the weather gets cold again, the better chance we have of avoiding restrictions. What’s the confusion around this point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

What do you think happens when we achieve herd immunity? Do you think that at 74% there’s no herd immunity and at 75% targeted is herd immunity so we can all stop distancing? Who told you that would happen.
    If social distancing and various restrictions are still required then herd immunity has not been achieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Hes been flip flopping more than some posters here :pac:

I remember in August last year he was like "I Am actually surprised pubs are still closed in Ireland" it was brilliant :D

Did you go into the protest then?

If social distancing and various restrictions are still required then herd immunity has not been achieved.

Maybe so. We’ll just have to wait and see how the vaccination progresses and how the numbers change as we lift restrictions and reopen. The models suggested 70-80% would be enough. I always took those as predictions, not guarantees.

GazzaL wrote: »
    That's not what was said at all.

GazzaL wrote: »

When you say lockdown, do you mean actual lockdown or any restrictions?

And who told you there would be either lockdown or any restrictions for ever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

TK Max - Closed
    Argos - Open
    DID - Open
    Homebase - Open
    Carpet Right - Closed
    Costa Coffee - Open
    Aldi - Open
    Home store & More - Open

No they aren't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement