Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Cant. I am going to a protest at St Green at 2 O clock on a Saturday.

One of those where you want to do something and then you cant, I have freedoms to protest for.

You've gone very quiet since the protest on Saturday. Was that you firing the rocket at the Gardai?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

How long can this horror show go on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,915 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Parachutes wrote: »

Yep. Very unusual for a post like Flex's to stay up this long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Parachutes wrote: »

Its vomit inducing but the phrase "this too shall pass" is undeniably true. Nothing-absolutely nothing- lasts forever.
    Not to take away from the incredible suffering it has unleashed upon the world, but we will get through this and in typical fashion, it will seem like a bad dream in a few years when we look back.
    Enjoy the good times- they dont last forever.
    Have faith during the bad times- they dont last forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    You've gone very quiet since the protest on Saturday. Was that you firing the rocket at the Gardai?

No that was me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yep. Very unusual for a post like Flex's to stay up this long.

You have to report it. Mods cannot read every single thing posted on here and rely on a post to be flagged so they get a notification and check it out and remove if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

You don’t want to engage into because I keep pointing out when you misremember (being generous) and intentionally misrepresent (more likely the more consistently you do it).

The answer is that nobody told you we would vaccinate everyone, nobody told you we would have lockdowns after we vaccinate everyone. You misremembered (or intentionally misrepresented) what was said.

It’s pretty important to be honest about what was actually said. It’s silly to make up your own interpretation and then get cross about your misrepresentation of the situation.

I don’t have a number or a date to answer your question. That’s just the honest answer using the information I have available to me. They’re vaccinating away as best they can and the weather is getting warmer. Hopefully the we can vaccinate, get numbers down and lift restrictions and reopen over summer. With luck, it’ll all be done before the weather cools and we don’t need any more restrictions.

the problem though is that the government said during the week they couldn't rule out a winter lockdown and continuing restrictions into 2022. the question id like to ask the government is if vaccinating the majority of the population isn't enough to end this what will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Violence at the protest absolutely wrong, peaceful protest is the only legitimate protest and the idiot launching fireworks has guaranteed that the MSM and the government can just dismiss the entire thing.

Simon Coveney today says he recognises people's right to protest, but this is manifestly untrue as as far as I make out there is no exception in the Covid regulations which allows for any kind of protest even if sensibly done, socially distance march etc.

If I am wrong in my interpretation of the regulations please advise.

If not Simon Coveney is just talking absolute rubbish as he is in a government which has effectively banned protest with the Covid regulations. He recognises it but bans it ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

ypres5 wrote: »
    the problem though is that the government said during the week they couldn't rule out a winter lockdown and continuing restrictions into 2022. the question id like to ask the government is if vaccinating the majority of the population isn't enough to end this what will be?

And they’d almost certainly answer “we don’t know yet”, because... they don’t know yet.

So what would you say to that?

And they’d almost certainly answer “we don’t know yet”, because... they don’t know yet.

So what would you say to that?

well the uk government have answered the question so why can't we? are irish people genetically different to british people so the vaccine is less effective? i don't see why people feel the need to blindly rush to the government's defense when their ****ty planning is pointed out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Violence at the protest absolutely wrong, peaceful protest is the only legitimate protest and the idiot launching fireworks has guaranteed that the MSM and the government can just dismiss the entire thing.

Simon Coveney today says he recognises people's right to protest, but this is manifestly untrue as as far as I make out there is no exception in the Covid regulations which allows for any kind of protest even if sensibly done, socially distance March etc.

If I am wrong in my interpretation of the regulations please advise.

If not Simon Coveney is just talking absolute rubbish as he is in a government which has effectively banned protest with the Covid regulations. He recognises it but bans it ??

Listen, Coveney has absolutely no credibility whatsoever. Last summer when thousands and thousands of tourists from the USA arrived and spent weeks up and down the country in cafes, hotels and restaurants, potentially spreading the virus to an even wider base, there wasnt a peep out of him condemning any of it. Nothing about the military planes in Shannon.
    I know its the same for any smaller country being submissive of a larger country where they depend on investment, but he really is a typical example of a weak minister.

well the uk government have answered the question so why can't we? are irish people genetically different to british people so the vaccine is less effective? i don't see why people feel the need to blindly rush to the government's defense when their ****ty planning is pointed out

I trust you can work this one out. What’s the main difference between Ireland and the UK regarding covid and returning to normal?

I trust you can work this one out. What’s the main difference between Ireland and the UK regarding covid and returning to normal?

I trust you can spare me the ratty tone and tell me yourself

Listen, Coveney has absolutely no credibility whatsoever. Last summer when thousands and thousands of tourists from the USA arrived and spent weeks up and down the country in cafes, hotels and restaurants, potentially spreading the virus to an even wider base, there wasnt a peep out of him condemning any of it. Nothing about the military planes in Shannon.
    I know its the same for any smaller country being submissive of a larger country where they depend on investment, but he really is a typical example of a weak minister.

Have never rated Coveney but whatever about general incompetence this is just a downright lie.........if he said we as a government have banned protest fine....at least he is being honest. But he seems to be unable to admit what his government has done as he doesn't want the soundbite saying yes your government does not recognise your right to protest.

I trust you can spare me the ratty tone and tell me yourself

I thought since you asked this, you had chosen the “ratty” option:
    ...are irish people genetically different to british people so the vaccine is less effective?...

Let’s start again.

The main difference between the uk and Ireland is that they are well ahead in therms of vaccinations and have a steady, predictable supply and can confidently predict that they’ll have most of their adult population vaccinated by mid summer. Ireland doesn’t know if it will have most its adult population vaccinated by the time the weather gets cold.

What difference do you think would result from not having a high percentage of adults vaccinated before the weather gets cold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,281 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Finding these latest comments a bit odd from Fauci, for the fully vaccinated, why can't they be normal in the community, does he think the vaccinated can still catch and spread it..

"The CDC will be coming out within the next few weeks, maybe even sooner, with some guidelines," Fauci told "State of the Union" host Dana Bash. "But one of the things that I think is going to become clear is that if you have adults who are vaccinated – that are doubly vaccinated and protected – that you can do things we weren’t talking about before."

"You can have dinner in a home without masks on. You can have friends who are doubly vaccinated and protected together with you," he added. "So you can start doing things essentially in the home setting where you are not out in the community."

https://www.foxnews.com/health/fauci-relaxed-gatherings-vaccinated-individuals-not-in-community

Let’s start again.

The main difference between the uk and Ireland is that they are cell ahead in therms of vaccinations and have a steady, predictable supply an scan confidently predict that they’ll have most of their adult population vaccinated by mid summer. Ireland doesn’t know if it will have most its adult population vaccinated by the time the weather gets cold.

What difference do you think would result from not having a high percentage of adults vaccinated before the weather gets cold?

British government and their equivalent of NPHET on record as saying that next winter assuming Covid deaths /hospital load are no worse than a bad flu season and all data would point that way with a heavily vaccinated population then the British population just have to knuckle down and get on with life.

I.E they have copped on to the fact that this is an endemic virus and isn't going away and in time will just become part of the woodwork and like flu will be an ongoing risk to the old and sick but life will have to get back to normal.

The Irish government and NPHET isn't there yet and still playing with zero covid fantasies.

Let’s start again.

The main difference between the uk and Ireland is that they are cell ahead in therms of vaccinations and have a steady, predictable supply an scan confidently predict that they’ll have most of their adult population vaccinated by mid summer. Ireland doesn’t know if it will have most its adult population vaccinated by the time the weather gets cold.

the government said this week that they aim to have 85% of over 18s given their first shot by june. once that's done why can't we follow a version of the uk plan adjusted to accommodate our own vaccination schedule? the uk are looking to kickstart international travel by the summer meanwhile here they're talking about limits on international travel going into 2022. also how does criticizing government message = being ratty?

Finding these latest comments a bit odd from Fauci, for the fully vaccinated, why can't they be normal in the community, does he think the vaccinated can still catch and spread it..

The vaccinated can still catch and spread. It. Did someone tell you that vaccinated people can’t catch and spread the virus? If so, who told you that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Let’s start again.

The main difference between the uk and Ireland is that they are well ahead in therms of vaccinations and have a steady, predictable supply and can confidently predict that they’ll have most of their adult population vaccinated by mid summer. Ireland doesn’t know if it will have most its adult population vaccinated by the time the weather gets cold.

It's also possible that the British govt are being economical with the truth.

• Advertisement

The vaccinated can still catch and spread. It. Did someone tell you that vaccinated people can’t catch and spread the virus? If so, who told you that?

I was hoping they wouldn't be as much a risk, not seeing a way out out of this with vaccines, you know the irish they'll have their jab and reckon they're grand.

KaneToad wrote: »
    It's also possible that the British govt are being economical with the truth.

in what way? I don't think boris is foolish enough to hype up people's expectations only to back out at the last minute bar something absolutely catastrophic happening. if he breaks the current schedule without a very good reason it'd destroy the careers of just about everyone in cabinet

the government said this week that they aim to have 85% of over 18s given their first shot by june. once that's done why can't we follow a version of the uk plan adjusted to accommodate our own vaccination schedule? the uk are looking to kickstart international travel by the summer meanwhile here they're talking about limits on international travel going into 2022. also how does criticizing government message = being ratty?

Lol, you asked “ are irish people genetically different to british people so the vaccine is less effective?” that was the “ratty” bit. But now it seems you were asking in earnest. In that case, no, ypres5. The Irish people are not so genetically different to british people so the vaccine is less effective.

Just to confirm they said they “aim”
    to have 85% of adults vaccinated with 1shot by June. An aim isn’t some kind of guarantee. Nothing wrong with having an aspirational aim, but 85% might not ever be achievable at all when you consider the people who won’t want the vaccine.

They can “aim” to have the vaccine rolled out to 100% of people by tomorrow afternoon. They won’t achieve that target either.

But back to your central question to the government : if they get the the vaccine rolled out, why can’t they guarantee there won’t be further restrictions in future. Do you understand the answer to that question now?

snowcat wrote: »
    Itsaduck1 wrote: »
    Wife is waiting on test results today, has all the symptoms, no smell, taste, small cough

How did this end up, everyone ok?

I was hoping they wouldn't be as much a risk, not seeing a way out out of this with vaccines, you know the irish they'll have their jab and reckon they're grand.

Who cares is you can still catch it and spread it once vaccinated - if deaths and hospitalizations are low due to natural and vaccine induced herd immunity it makes no difference. Get on with life.

Would it be nice if the virus went away entirely, yes of course but that is fantasy land.

Lol, you asked “ are irish people genetically different to british people so the vaccine is less effective?” that was the “ratty” bit. But now it seems you were asking in earnest. In that case, no, ypres5. The Irish people are not so genetically different to british people so the vaccine is less effective.

Just to confirm they said they “aim”
    to have 85% of adults vaccinated with 1shot by June. An aim isn’t some kind of guarantee. Nothing wrong with having an aspirational aim, but 85% might not ever be achievable at all when you consider the people who won’t want the vaccine.

They can “aim” to have the vaccine rolled out to 100% of people by tomorrow afternoon. They won’t achieve that target either.

But back to your central question to the government : if they get the the vaccine rolled out, why can’t they guarantee there won’t be further restrictions in future. Do you understand the answer to that question now?

so we're going vaccinating people but it's not going to make any difference as to moving back to normal? lol makes perfect sense. also the genetic difference thing wasn't a genuine question it was sarcasm in case you had trouble picking it up. my simple question is that if vaccinating the majority of people, whether that happens in June or august or whenever isn't enough to end restrictions what will ? if the uk can put a date on a permanent end why can't we

in what way? I don't think boris is foolish enough to hype up people's expectations only to back out at the last minute bar something absolutely catastrophic happening. if he breaks the current schedule without a very good reason it'd destroy the careers of just about everyone in cabinet

Barring the bubonic plague breaking out the UK is opening up fully this summer. Vaccine roleout flying along and if hospitalisations and deaths stay relatively low there is no way Boris isn't flying ahead.

There is no choice now.....anyone notice the bond issues in the financial markets on Friday ?? I sure did.

Significance folks is that it is the beginning of the end of 'free money'................the borrowing just can't and won't go on and on.

Economies have to move on or Covid will be the least of anyone's problems.

I think that will certainly happen but I doubt that’s in any way unique to Irish people. I suppose vaccine uptake will wane towards the last 30% of people as more people adopt the attitude that “if everyone else gets vaccinated, then I don’t need to”. Nothing uniquely Irish about it.

Barring the bubonic plague breaking out the UK is opening up fully this summer. Vaccine roleout flying along and if hospitalisations and deaths stay relatively low there is no way Boris isn't flying ahead.

There is no choice now.....anyone notice the bond issues in the financial markets on Friday ?? I sure did.

Significance folks is that it is the beginning of the end of 'free money'................the borrowing just can't and won't go on and on.

Economies have to move on or Covid will be the least of anyone's problems.

dead right about the uk. boards does seem to be inundated with people trying to convince themselves and others that the uk are the ones who ****ed up or the government is lying and we're the ones who are being clever.

im sure that come june the average briton will be envious of his Irish counterpart being let visit a beach in his locality while he himself jets off to greece. keep smoking that copium lads

• Advertisement

Who cares is you can still catch it and spread it once vaccinated - if deaths and hospitalizations are low due to natural and vaccine induced herd immunity it makes no difference. Get on with life.

Would it be nice if the virus went away entirely, yes of course but that is fantasy land.
    IF deaths and hospitalisations are low, then...

As it stands we don’t know what it will be like when most ropes are vaccinated and we reopen and get rid of restrictions. Maybe it’ll be fine and hospitalisation and deaths will stay low. Maybe not. Only time will tell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement