Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Once we vaccinate the old and those with health complications. Will we not just allow the numbers to rise higher than now with a much more normal operating? If we stop the old and those with ill health from dying, won't we tolerate a much greater infection rate and a reasonable amounts of death rate (like a flu)?

I'm a little confused about what we are aiming for with the vaccine. Will we accept a death rate similar to flu?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭jbv

This is the "New Normal" it will never go away.
    There is a hope that once vaccinated, the person is immune to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I sell tin foil hats for a living. Running short of them at the moment as they have become the latest fashion trend. Would you like to buy one? You need to be quick.

You know what I really really REALLY want you to be right !!

But do you honestly think this is going to be over anytime soon ?
    I am optimistically thinking summer 2022 ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Based on what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

john4321 wrote: »
    Where did you see that?

https://nltimes.nl/2020/11/20/coronavirus-vaccination-strategy-confirmed-dutch-government

"Elderly people, medically vulnerable people, and healthcare workers who are in direct contact with Covid-19 patients will be the first people in the Netherlands to be vaccinated against the SARS-CoV-2 novel coronavirus. The Dutch Cabinet decision means it will move forward with the advice it received earlier this week from its healthcare advisory board."

My brother in law who is Dutch was saying it. He works for the Dutch Government also.

• Advertisement

There's the "rock on with life, no lockdown" folk
    There's the "keep everyting locked down until we have a vaccine" folk

We no have the "we are still fncked with a vaccine and the governments worldwide are spoofing us with the hope" folk

Fook me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I think the lockdowns will be over by the end of this year. I hope the 3rd quarter. Maybe they won’t even be there after the 1st half. However, it will depend on vaccine delivery, and how quick they are dispensed. Unfortunately the number of vaccines received from suppliers has been quite low so far but it will ramp up hugely in the next few months. It won’t help that so many people spread lies and misinformation about vaccines online. This is sometimes due to maliciousness, stupidity, inability to comprehend, and no ability to critically thinking, There are too many gullible people that may refuse vaccines based on the aforementioned.

I don’t think the virus will go away unless the world population is vaccinated. That is unlikely to happen. However, outbreaks will be limited. Vaccination will most likely to be required for foreign travel to most countries, and so should severely limit the spread.

The government has no interest in lockdowns. They are not good for the economy, and a thriving economy helps governments stay in power come election time. The lockdowns are imposed as a necessity to keep people alive. Swamping the health system with 1000’s more patients is not good. Even the best health care systems in the world start to struggle when there is a sudden influx of new patient, especially those who are contagious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

They'll still try and make you wear masks for flu season. I wouldn't be surprised if the pub time limit restrictions remained. Holohan ain't going away unless his book deal is spectacular. Although he probably won't be able to walk away from a role where he can control people.

Is it really so onerous to wear a mask? I wear glasses and it's annoying as **** with them getting steamed up but I still don't get the problem, Asian students around my part of town have worn them for years and none of them have collapsed gasping for breath in the street.

Also the majority of pr1cks who won't wear masks on the bus are all men who are not elderly. If the issue is a perception of 'authority' overstepping the mark then a lot of growing up needs to be done.

Coybig_ wrote: »
    Based on what exactly?

Based on the incredible slowless with the overall progression of this thing ...
    We are a year in and at a far worse situation ...

cloudatlas wrote: »

Also the majority of pr1cks who won't wear masks on the bus are all men who are not elderly.................

The ole chest out 24/7 talking sh1t but haven't worked in years. We all know the type.

• Advertisement

I think the lockdowns will be over by the end of this year. I hope the 3rd quarter. Maybe they won’t even be there after the 1st half. However, it will depend on vaccine delivery, and how quick they are dispensed. Unfortunately the number of vaccines received from suppliers has been quite low so far but it will ramp up hugely in the next few months. It won’t help that so many people spread lies and misinformation about vaccines online. This is sometimes due to maliciousness, stupidity, inability to comprehend, and no ability to critically thinking, There are too many gullible people that may refuse vaccines based on the aforementioned.

I don’t think the virus will go away unless the world population is vaccinated. That is unlikely to happen. However, outbreaks will be limited. Vaccination will most likely to be required for foreign travel to most countries, and so should severely limit the spread.

The government has no interest in lockdowns. They are not good for the economy, and a thriving economy helps governments stay in power come election time. The lockdowns are imposed as a necessity to keep people alive. Swamping the health system with 1000’s more patients is not good. Even the best health care systems in the world start to struggle when there is a sudden influx of new patient, especially those who are contagious.

Norwegian govt are already saying that vaccines won't stop PCR testing and quarantine requirements - insanity.

I think things are an awful lot better than I expected when I first heard about the virus. It obviously was going to get worst once the first case was recorded here. That is not unexpected at all.

Norwegian govt are already saying that vaccines won't stop PCR testing and quarantine requirements - insanity.

Where is the insanity? A government protecting its population. Wow, that is a bizarre concept.

I am getting an extreme sense of Chicken Licken from you.

Right but the vaccine is being given to the vulnerable as we speak.

Why would we need to be in lockdown after those people receive the vaccine? This demographic covers 98 percent of our deaths.
    This is predicted to be done by Easter. Do you suspect that there will be a delay of a year in the rollout to these people?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Is it really so onerous to wear a mask?

No point getting into a mask debate because it is like a religion to some people, but the question is not about how difficult it is to wear a mask, it is about the point of wearing it in the first place.

Are masks actually useful or are they basically just a placebo? Despite what some true believers would have you think that question is not actually settled yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,916 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Dempo1 wrote: »

It's seems rather alarming that 10 months into this, greater understanding of the virus, improved treatments and now vaccines, we are seeing alarming surges in infections and increasing deaths. I would have anticipated the opposite given at tge start of this horror story no one knew anything.
    The reason for that is that at the start, people accepted that they should stay in lockdown. Now we have so many facebook doctors, and less restrictive lockdowns that it means we can no longer contain it as efficiently as done previously

Quazzie wrote: »
    The reason for that is that at the start, people accepted that they should stay in lockdown. Now we have so many facebook doctors, and less restrictive lockdowns that it means we can no longer contain it as efficiently as done previously

Jesus Christ.

The reason is that the virus is seasonal and we are at winters peak.

Dempo1 wrote: »

It's seems rather alarming that 10 months into this, greater understanding of the virus, improved treatments and now vaccines, we are seeing alarming surges in infections and increasing deaths. I would have anticipated the opposite given at tge start of this horror story no one knew anything.

There are a lot of stupid people out there, and a lot that are very selfish too. A significant number also don’t seem to care if elderly people die because they consider them beyond use. That is why the virus is being transmitted.

Jesus Christ.

No point praying to him. He won't save you

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

No point getting into a mask debate because it is like a religion to some people, but the question is not about how difficult it is to wear a mask, it is about the point of wearing it in the first place.

Are masks actually useful or are they basically just a placebo? Despite what some true believers would have you think that question is not actually settled yet.

Forget Covid for a moment. If masks are not useful, why have medical professionals been wearing them (and gloves) in places like operating theatres for as long as any of us can remember?

Probably because they know that masks help prevent infection, in this specific case, the objective being to prevent the patient on the table being affected by anything that the wearer might be carrying.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement

Despite what some true believers would have you think that question is not actually settled yet.

Some people's inability to accept basic facts, does not mean that it isn't settled. It means that there are just some people who prefer to remain ignorant

Where is the insanity? A government protecting its population. Wow, that is a bizarre concept.

I am getting an extreme sense of Chicken Licken from you.

The whole idea is vaccines is to give us some freedom back, if I have to quarantine and get PCR tested when I travel even when I am vaccinated then there is no point of the bloody thing! - take that to a population level, it means restrictions anyway even when we are all vaccinated - now that is insanity,

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Yes it is. The masks work. Why else would medical professionals wear them for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

Jesus Christ.

The reason is that the virus is seasonal and we are at winters peak.

That's pure bs though. If that was the case then the likes of Brazil, Australia and hot climates wouldn't of gotten Covid19 which they did, so weather really makes no difference!!

There are a lot of stupid people out there, and a lot that are very selfish too. A significant number also don’t seem to care if elderly people die because they consider them beyond use. That is why the virus is being transmitted.

Yeah the virus is being transmitted because people consider the elderly beyond use. Some of the comments on here would make you worry.

Nothing to do with seasonality, borders, government and hse having ferociously inadequate testing procedures in hospitals and nursing homes. No it's definitely people considering the elderly beyond use and facebook. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Quazzie wrote: »
    Some people's inability to accept basic facts, does not mean that it isn't settled. It means that there are just some people who prefer to remain ignorant

Amen.

youandme13 wrote: »
    That's pure bs though. If that was the case then the likes of Brazil, Australia and hot climates wouldn't of gotten Covid19 which they did, so weather really makes no difference!!

It is absolutely not BS. It has been acknowledged by about every expert going.

Australia have winters too LOL. What are you on about. :confused:

I think things are an awful lot better than I expected when I first heard about the virus. It obviously was going to get worst once the first case was recorded here. That is not unexpected at all.

Absolutely it is from the virus point of view , we thought the IFR would be way higher and a lot lot more people would die.

Treatment is a lot better now and vaccines are rolling out - but it's not the virus I am scared of anymore, it's the bureaucratic bs that will just linger on and on and on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

A little harsh but your overall point taken. Selfishness certainly hasn't helped but more to the point the management of the this crisis hasn't either. Government warned at the start of December and ignored the advice. But on a wider scale and World wide, its never been as bad, 4300 deaths in the US yesterday, UK despite belated restrictions in serious trouble, Spain, Netherlands and many other European countries reporting increased numbers and deaths.

My primary point was the fact things have got much, much worse, despite more knowledge, Better medical understanding and treatments and vaccine Roll out, all of these I find perplexing.

Not help here is the HSE"s senior management who just seem to be limping from one crisis to another. Their COO admitted yesterday staff are not legally required to avail of testing, Today she's admitted staff call back to duty in breach of guidelines, the Chief Spoofer, rambling at the weekend about why IT systems not working, despite warnings in early 2019 and today he's claiming the numbers in hospital, incomprehensible, it's just extraordinary almost a year into this the HSE SENIOR management seems to have learned nothing.

I won't get started on the new Secretary General of the department of Health's €292k per annum, suffice to say it's outrageous.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

Cerveza wrote: »
    I am hopeful for the summer. If people just stick with the agenda for a few more months then we can all get some normal back.

"Two weeks to flatten the curve"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement