Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

Won't financial considerations be the reason for the ending of all restrictions after vaccines?

Not so sure. A high, but manageable, while cheap money is still available, level of personal and national debt is going to be a reality for many generations to come in this country. A few billion more in the form of PUP payments etc, isn't going to make that much difference. New variants of the virus will have an impact on how restrictions are managed going forward. Moreover, the HSE, and it's ability, or inability, to manage the backlog of non-Covid related issues, is going to play a big part in it. This country will be back in lockdown in December of this year, and Jan 2022, even if everyone in the country has been vaccinated. The HSE will not be able to cope with the usual winter rush, and the backlog caused by Covid.
    There's going to be a slight increase in cases when the schools go back. Completely meaningless and will cause basically no problems in reality but will be used to justify some panic and distraction while we continue to piss-arse about with the vaccines.

They won't blame the schools. The movers and shakers want them open. School are hotbeds for most viruses. Covid is the exception for some reason, according to the powers that be. They'll blame the rest of us for not following the restrictions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

With the Northern Irish executive plan of using data and the extended furlough I feel we are in for a rough ride.

Politicans are going to put up a fight to let us out of this lockdown. And you know what? There is no justification. With such low case numbers and vaccinations we should be planning ahead to release the lockdown soon.

These people should not be allowed to control us in such a way, there is no need for this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

There's going to be a slight increase in cases when the schools go back. Completely meaningless and will cause basically no problems in reality but will be used to justify some panic and distraction while we continue to piss-arse about with the vaccines.

I am worried about this in Northern Ireland with the use of data. They will use it to extend lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I don’t understand what I’m seeing here. How is 783 an 18% reduction on 808? Isn’t it more like a 3% reduction on the previous week?
    The numbers are correct except for the 18%, that should be 3.09%.

Which means we've gone from 44%, 19%, 15%,10%, to just 3%. Which means we've plateaued more or less. At over 700 cases/week. Very very disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Imo using data is a better metric than dates however not indicating what data is needed to trigger the adjustment/removal of restrictions does not generate significant buy in.

So we are left with the usual "we are not where we want to be" politician claim to keep restrictions in place on both sides of the border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Scotty # wrote: »
    The numbers are correct except for the 18%, that should be 3.09%.

Which means we've gone from 44%, 19%, 15%,10%, to just 3%. Which means we've plateaued more or less. At over 700 cases/week. Very very disappointing.

Today’s 7 day average is 623, so we havnt plateaued at over 700 cases a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Today’s 7 day average is 623, so we havnt plateaued at over 700 cases a week.
    Is the 783 yer man posted for Saturday correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Taking a leaf from the UK, which have announced a plan to get everything back to normal by end of June, is it not entirely possible that the vaccination will indeed end the pandemic here by year end and any variants can be dealt with by booster shots, similar to the flu?
    I know Boris is stupid at times but he must be basing this whole back to normality on some solid science. Their numbers of cases and deaths are dropping and i get the strong impression the UK wont go into lockdown again. He is going to look extremely silly if, by June , life isnt back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Taking a leaf from the UK, which have announced a plan to get everything back to normal by end of June, is it not entirely possible that the vaccination will indeed end the pandemic here by year end and any variants can be dealt with by booster shots, similar to the flu?
    I know Boris is stupid at times but he must be basing this whole back to normality on some solid science. Their numbers of cases and deaths are dropping and i get the strong impression the UK wont go into lockdown again. He is going to look extremely silly if, by June , life isnt back to normal.
    The problem is that although the vaccines and improved treatments will reduce incidence of the virus to very low numbers and severity it will still exist, and since people still die, some will die with the virus. Though not in the least rational, some people will use this as a pretext to continues restrictions of various sorts for as long as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

The problem is that although the vaccines and improved treatments will reduce incidence of the virus to very low numbers and severity it will still exist, and since people still die, some will die with the virus. Though not in the least rational, some people will use this as a pretext to continues restrictions of various sorts for as long as possible.

Yes exactly. We’ve been slowly conditioned to accept that any kind of risk from Covid should be avoided at the expense of everything else in society.

Last year as the deaths and hospitalisations flatlined the goal shifted to cases.

I fear that this summer the method of control used will be VARIANTS.

As long as we have an incredibly weak government and the most risk averse, powerful health advisory committee in Europe then it could be a very long road out of this.

We’ll have public buy in for more restrictions. We have a national broadcaster working in tandem with a well organised team of scientific oracles of doom working in shifts to pump out fear on radio and tv every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

tara2k wrote: »
    This country will be back in lockdown in December of this year, and Jan 2022, even if everyone in the country has been vaccinated.

If the vaccination program is completed no we won’t be full stop. The Shyte some people post in these forums is actually hilarious :pac: They say wishful thinking makes people feel good, keep it up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Micky 32 wrote: »
    If the vaccination program is completed no we won’t be full stop. The Shyte some people post in these forums is actually hilarious :pac: They say wishful thinking makes people feel good, keep it up ;)

Given the way this Govt has been acting throughout all of this you can't blame people for thinking this way. Especially since no one is willing to tell One Trick Pony Holohan to take his indefinite lockdowns and shove them.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Given the way this Govt has been acting throughout all of this you can't blame people for thinking this way. Especially since no one is willing to tell One Trick Pony Holohan to take his indefinite lockdowns and shove them.

When the situation improves via vaccination things will change, i’ll bet my left ball on it.

Won't financial considerations be the reason for the ending of all restrictions after vaccines? We can't afford to keep all these supports to businesses, we will have to pay the bill eventually. Talk of Social Distancing for years, that would never work in bars / restaurants. It wouldn't be financially feasible for them to open if only (lets say) 50% of their usual capacity can be used. They can afford it now since 80% of staff wages are paid for by supports. Once this is removed we'll have to allow a return to normal practices.

These idiots in Govt think that they can borrow [and make us foot the bill] indefinitely. Eventually the Central Banks will stop giving us money and start demanding repayment.

I guess we should take the news that the Govt put in a bid to partially host the 2030 World Cup as a sign that they intend to re open at some point. They'll need the hospitality sector up and running [and rebuilt] by then.

If the vaccination program is completed no we won’t be full stop.

I hope you’re right but both UK and Irish governments have already publicly discussed more lockdowns next winter.

When the situation improves via vaccination things will change, i’ll bet my left ball on it.

I hope you're not to attached to that ball. The way these idiots look for excuses to keep the lockdowns going [numbers are already dropping and they still extended it to May] you may lose that testicle very quickly.

I hope you’re right but both UK and Irish governments have already publicly discussed more lockdowns next winter.

No they haven’t said there will be lockdowns. Possible restrictions if needed, but with more and more evidence emerging on how effective the vaccines are they will be very little if any.

Our Taoiseach has said himself once we reopen we must stay open this time.

I hope you're not to attached to that ball. The way these idiots look for excuses to keep the lockdowns going [numbers are already dropping and they still extended it to May] you may lose that testicle very quickly.

More waffle…..looking for excuses to keep a country in lockdown? Lol

This is the begining of the end of this pandemic.

No they haven’t said there will be lockdowns. Possible restrictions if needed, but with the evidence emerging on how effective the vaccines are they will be very little if any.

He used the word lockdown. He said they weren’t ruling it out later this year.

They’ll never close that door.

Again I hope you’re right but I wouldn’t be in the least bit surprised if it happens.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/leo-varadkar-cant-rule-out-23475803

More waffle…..looking for excuses to keep a country in lockdown? Lol

Yeah, because they haven't been doing that the WHOLE time. 2 weeks to flatten the curve and here we are a year later.
    This is the begining of the end of this pandemic.

For everywhere but here at the rate these idiots are going.

• Advertisement

Yeah, because they haven't been doing that the WHOLE time. 2 weeks to flatten the curve and here we are a year later.

For everywhere but here at the rate these idiots are going.

Why do you think we are in lockdown at the moment? Did you not see the cases we had the last couple of months? We had over 200 people in icu along with over 2000 people hospitalized and thousands of cases a day.

More evidence is emerging vaccines are working better than expected and just the first jab is preventing 80 % hospitalizations. Once everyone gets their 2 jabs lockdowns will fade away……

He used the word lockdown.

Aye, Leo is gas. I remember him saying last year when this all kicked off that he didn’t like to use the term lockdown or see it as a ‘lockdown’ something to that effect anyway.

If it does happen it’s because the vaccines don’t work but it’s looking more evident that won’t be the case. There’s good news about the vaccines everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

with the eu formulating a travel system for member states and the increase in vaccine numbers I feel the method of months of lockdowns is having it's stalingrad moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Ok. Imagine we vaccinate as many people as possible (about 80%) in time for winter. In winter the numbers go up, the hospitals will be overrun in the next few weeks with the current trajectory. What would you want the government to do at that point?

Impose more restrictions?
    Or do nothing an allow nature to take its course and the hospitals become overrun?
    Or would you want them to do something else?

You neglecting simple fact that hospitals were constantly overrun until covid came. We lived in that reality for quite long time and miraculously survived.

Maybe solution is simple. Recruit more consultants and healthcare personnel and perhaps build couple more hospitals instead of wasting money to pay people to sit at home. They had a year to do so yet did nothing about that. This government and HSE are not even capable to roll out vaccination for people who are interested properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yea it’s possible that the vaccine will end the pandemic by the end of the year. That’s the bullseye on the target and nobody has suggested it’s not possible.

Boris Johnson has no problem with looking foolish in the future. If you look at how he handled the whole situation up to now, he has looked very foolish at lots of points up to now particularly regarding following Scotland’s lead with lockdowns and whether to expose schools.

The difference this time is we all want him to be right so we’re assuming he only said it because it’s true. But a quick look at BJ’s record would tell you he isn’t a trustworthy person. But who knows? He might be right. And it would bode great for everyone if he is right.

I would also point out that the test isn’t going to be in June when the weather is warming, it will be in winter. If they can stay without masks or distancing through winter and numbers stay reasonably low, then the whole thing might be more or less over.

patnor1011 wrote: »
    You neglecting simple fact that hospitals were constantly overrun until covid came. We lived in that reality for quite long time and miraculously survived.

Maybe solution is simple. Recruit more consultants and healthcare personnel and perhaps build couple more hospitals instead of wasting money to pay people to sit at home. They had a year to do so yet did nothing about that. This government and HSE are not even capable to roll out vaccination for people who are interested properly.

Another dodge of the question. It should be a relatively simple question to answer and it should be one of the first questions we address as it’s a pretty important one. Its certainly one of the possibilities for next winter. But so hard to get anyone to engage directly with it.

The question was
    “Imagine we vaccinate as many people as possible (about 80%) in time for winter. In winter the numbers go up, the hospitals will be overrun in the next few weeks with the current trajectory. What would you want the government to do at that point?

Or do nothing an allow nature to take its course and the hospitals become overrun?
    Or would you want them to do something else?”

gozunda wrote: »
    Was that 9 out of 10 cats by any chance?

I reckon that's fairly clear you know little about ERSI studies and polls. And no 'feelings' don't generally count.

You will excuse me if I chose to disregard vague personal anecdotes and generalised anti vaccination sentiment over an ERSI study or expert advice on infection risk thanks all the same.

If you had taken any time to read what was quoted- you may have noted that it was stated

Thanks

Well, some people can stick with what they see on TV and reading on ESRI studies.
    Other people like me continued to work and meet with people during the course of their work. I get it, if someone sit in home waiting for daily count being announced on TV they can get a little out of touch with reality of what people really think or want. For that you need to meet people, talk to them and then you may realize that studies and polls were many times wrong.
    So I would disregard vague anonymous studies and polls which are mostly designed to fit expectations of people who conduct them.

While I got way more vaccines than most of the people here since I came from country where vaccination was mandatory and involved way more vaccines than is the norm in Ireland, I am pretty much sure I do not need this one.
    As far as covid goes majority of the people would get more benefit simply by changing diet and lifestyle than getting this particular vaccine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/03/02/furlough-extended-calls-grow-quicker-reopening/

Why would Sunak extend furlough if they weren't planning on extending the lockdown ?
    This in the UK where vaccinations are hitting 30% allready, by Autumn that will be at full adult population, the more this goes on the clearer it becomes they never want to lift restrictions.

Another dodge of the question. It should be a relatively simple question to answer and it should be one of the first questions we address as it’s a pretty important one. Its certainly one of the possibilities for next winter. But so hard to get anyone to engage directly with it.

What dodge?
    The question was
    “Imagine we vaccinate as many people as possible (about 80%) in time for winter. In winter the numbers go up, the hospitals will be overrun in the next few weeks with the current trajectory. What would you want the government to do at that point?
    Nothing. Which is precisely the same they did last 15 years at least when we had hospitals overran periodically one or more times every year.
    People wont go for it.
    Or would you want them to do something else?”
    Hospitals will be overran the moment they try to resume normal service and stop being no go zone. Million of cancelled appointments and procedures during the last year will pretty much guarantee that.

• Advertisement

If it does happen it’s because the vaccines don’t work but it’s looking more evident that won’t be the case. There’s good news about the vaccines everyday.

The vaccines definitely work, it’s a matter of whether they they work well enough to prevent lockdown or restrictions. We don’t know the answer to that yet. Winter will be the test. But, as you said, signs are looking good at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement