Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

There has never been a pandemic in history after which restrictions weren't lifted.

Last pandemics never had such an amount and level of restrictions applied either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Last pandemics never had such an amount and level of restrictions applied either.

They hadn't Social Media driven fear either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I think they will, because though you are sure everybody will be vaccinated, and I could agree it could even happen, people will retain a good amount of suspicion and caution towards who's next to them, because for two years we've been taught to act this way, and we won't forget this bit of advice overnight. I'm pretty sure most people will prefer to stay three steps back from the others. Just in case. Who knows, the other person next to you might be carrier of a new virus not yet discovered.

The amount of delusion in this post is hilarious.:pac: i tell you one thing if i was single and most of us are vaccinated by the autumn including my self i’d be riding all around me. SD me arse.

There is two more vaccines currently under evaluation by the EMA one is certain to be approved.Your pessimism tbh is misplaced .

Two vaccines under evaluation don't mean they will certainly be approved, and if they are, we could easily end up like the other previously approved vaccines, with cut or delayed supplies, so this exponential ramp up isn't going to happen, in my opinion.

They hadn't Social Media driven fear either.

This, definitely, and TV!

• Advertisement

Two vaccines under evaluation don't mean they will certainly be approved, and if they are, we could easily end up like the other previously approved vaccines, with cut or delayed supplies, so this exponential ramp up isn't going to happen, in my opinion.

The J and J vaccine has been approved for use in America already. It will be approved here by the end of the month. Single dose normal refrigeration .
    Spuknik is being evaluated as I said I don't understand your desire to be so pessimistic but if it makes you happy who am I to try to dissuade you.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Micky 32 wrote: »
    The amount of delusion in this post is hilarious.:pac: i tell you one thing if i was single and most of us are vaccinated by the autumn including my self i’d be riding all around me. SD me arse.

While wearing a mask?

The J and J vaccine has been approved for use in America already. It will be approved here by the end of the month. Single dose normal refrigeration .
    Spuknik is being evaluated as I said I don't understand your desire to be so pessimistic but if it makes you happy who am I to try to dissuade you.

I'm not pessimistic, I'm rather realistic.
    Last year, exactly one year ago, I was told that this emergency would have lasted a few weeks, or a few months, and everything would have been fine before summer. I was saying the opposite, and here we are.
    Same for a few more predictions.
    Hopefully I'm wrong this time, but I have a bit of history :D

Last year, exactly one year ago, I was told that this emergency would have lasted a few weeks, or a few months, and everything would have been fine before summer. I was saying the opposite, and here we are.

You can’t compare last year to this year. We had no vaccines last year ( btw some said there would never be a vaccine or it woild take years but here we are)

The vaccines are proven to work so the outlook is totally different to last year’s comparison.

While wearing a mask?

Hmmm it could add to the kinkiness to it :pac:

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Its not worrying at all. The restrictions are for dealing with the actual pandemic. Once infection rates don't result in significant case numbers and / or are well below normal ICU capacity - then there's no need for any plan '0' or otherwise.

Possibly if there's a resurgence at some point then may be revisted. Put at this stage that's in the realms of speculation.

Its like its some big conspiracy or something. And despite that been pushed continuously -thats remains firmly Tinfoil hat territory tbh

I hope you're right, but I think it would put a lot of people's mind at ease if there was a level 0 in that plan. In a country with no opposition it's especially important that there be a level 0 since we can't rely on it being called for or pushed for.

Last year we knew very little about the virus. We now know so much more we have different treatments and 5 vaccines 3 approved , two waiting approval. All showing better efficiency than the annual flu jab.
    I would suggest your mindset is stuck in March 2020. Time to move on.

You can’t compare last year to this year. We had no vaccines last year ( btw some said there would be never a vaccine or it woild take years but here we are)

The vaccines are proven to work so the outlook is totally different to last year’s comparison.

I agree with you, but people's last year forecasts were long before the vaccines came into the talks. Most people would think this thing would have gone on its own in a very short time, while I was disagreeing. This was the meaning of my previous post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

The amount of delusion in this post is hilarious.:pac:
    What, you think once lockdown is over that's it? People are just going to forget about covid? Everytime someone get's a fit of coughing for the next ten years it won't be on people's minds? And you've the neck to call him deluded? Ohh the irony!!!!

Scotty # wrote: »
    What, you think once lockdown is over that's it? People are just going to forget about covid? Everytime someone get's a fit of coughing for the next ten years it won't be on people's minds? And you've the neck to call him deluded? Ohh the irony!!!!

Forget about Covid? No but people will get on with their lives. My advice to you is if you’re that neurotic stay home and lock yourself in your bedroom. I couldn’t careless what you do.

If I’m vaccinated and I’m unlucky enough to be standing by someone who takes a fit of coughing I’ll calmly walk away and be glad I’m vaccinated and unlikely to end up in hospital.

This is coming to an end whether you like it or not. If people think SD is here to say it is delusional.

The long-term societal damage will be immense.

Forget about Covid? No but people will get on with their lives. My advice to you is if you’re that neurotic stay home and lock yourself in your bedroom.

If I’m vaccinated and I’m unlucky enough to be standing by someone who takes a fit of coughing I’ll calmly walk away and be glad I’m vaccinated and unlikely to end up in hospital.

This is coming to an end whether you like it or not. If people think SD is here to say it is delusional.

Would you have calmly walked away from them before this pandemic?

I agree with you, but people's last year forecasts were long before the vaccines came into the talks. Most people would think this thing would have gone on its own in a very short time, while I was disagreeing. This was the meaning of my previous post :)

You couldn’t blame people thinking and hoping it would be over soon. But as i said in my last post you’re still stuck in 2020. The future is now different.

The long-term societal damage will be immense.
    People still say God Bless You after a sneeze since the Black Death. We're not forgetting about covid in our life times.

Masks and social distancing will still be common place, maybe not because of restrictions but certainly people will be more weary of germs, contamination, etc.

Would you have calmly walked away from them before this pandemic?

Probably. I don’t fancy anyone coughing over me Covid or not. Either way that wouldn’t stop my life being normal.

• Advertisement

Forget about Covid? No but people will get on with their lives. My advice to you is if you’re that neurotic stay home and lock yourself in your bedroom. I couldn’t careless what you do.

A minority will get on with their lives. I'm all for getting on with life, but I think loads of people will never recover. Or it will take them years to recover. That's not being hysterical. It's based on what I have observed for months. I'm not being negative for the sake of being negative. Ireland doesn't have something similar to the Russian 'avos'. That would make a big difference. But I hope I'm wrong and will be delighted if I am. I'll certainly be getting on with my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

Totally wrong, which you would know if you had read any history on the Spanish Flu and the restrictions in place then across the world.

People still say God Bless You after a sneeze since the Black Death. We're not forgetting about covid in our life times.

Masks and social distancing will still be common place, maybe not because of restrictions but certainly people will be more weary of germs, contamination, etc.

Maybe for a while, but it will wear off. You reckon everyone in pubs and restaurants will be wearing masks in the future?

A minority will get on with their lives. I'm all for getting on with life, but I think loads of people will never recover. Or it will take them years to recover. That's not being hysterical. It's based on what I have observed for months. I'm not being negative for the sake of being negative. Ireland doesn't have something similar to the Russian 'avos'. That would make a big difference. But I hope I'm wrong and will be delighted if I am. I'll certainly be getting on with my life.

You could be right. But thankfully that won’t be me.

We're not forgetting about covid in our life times.

I agree 100% with the quoted above.

I am curious what you "observed for months" that means "loads of people will never recover" from this. You keep coming out with bizarre statements (and things that are just factually incorrect).

Looking forward to seeing how you can extrapolate from personal observations that "loads of people will never recover."

You seem slightly unhinged.

Maybe for a while, but it will wear off. You reckon everyone in pubs and restaurants will be wearing masks in the future?
    No, not everyone, but there will be a section of society that will always err on the safe side and wear a mask whenever they are in close proximity to strangers like public transport, aeroplanes, events, etc.

First thing you're told when you get vaccinated.. "now you're still going to have to wear your mask".

Totally wrong, which you would know if you had read any history on the Spanish Flu and the restrictions in place then across the world.

And what about all the other pandemics after the Spanish Flu? How many restrictions did the authorities apply during them? And how hard were these compared to those we have now?

People weren't wearing masks in restaurants or pubs last summer when there were no vaccines. Why in God's name would people be wearing masks in pubs/restaurants after this is over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭VG31

I think the vast majority of young people will move on very quickly.
    In the case of elderly people in particular, some may never fully move on. People who were too afraid to leave their houses over the last year are unlikely to suddenly go back to normal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement