Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Scotty # wrote: »
    No, not everyone, but there will be a section of society that will always err on the safe side and wear a mask whenever they are in close proximity to strangers like public transport, aeroplanes, events, etc.

First thing you're told when you get vaccinated.. "now you're still going to have to wear your mask".

I have totally nothing against people who want to maintain mask wearing etc it’s their decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Yep, and i’ll say it again and stand by it. ICU’s won’t be packed with Covid 19 in October.

They will be packed with something else instead.

That seems to be the part you are ignoring. Our health service has always been at breaking point, I have posted it before but here is a headline from Dec 31st 2019:
    If Covid disappeared tomorrow our health service would still be at breaking point next winter, just as it was every other winter.

But what's different now is that for a full year we have been restricting society to help our "front line heroes", we have locked down and prevented people from living to ensure that our health service doesn't get overwhelmed.

And yet here you are telling us that in the future we won't lock down to ensure that our health service doesn't get overwhelmed. Really? Have you been asleep this past 9 months?

I guarantee that come next winter when hospitals will again be under non-covid pressure, there will be an inevitable cohort of do-gooders calling for NPHET to take action to protect our front line heroes and social media shaming of anybody who dares to push back against it. After all, who could possibly have a problem with wanting to protect older people...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

And what about all the other pandemics after the Spanish Flu? How many restrictions did the authorities apply during them? And how hard were these compared to those we have now?

What other global pandemics were there? The fact that most people barely even know about the Spanish Flu (or any other pandemic) shows that the restrictions were lifted. In the case of more local pandemics such as Ebola, restrictions were far worse then there are in Ireland right now.

And what's the link between severity of restrictions the idea that they will continue after the pandemic ends?

VG31 wrote: »
    I think the vast majority of young people will move on very quickly.
    In the case of elderly people in particular, some may never fully move on. People who were too afraid to leave there houses over the last year are unlikely to suddenly go back to normal.

I agree.

It's the elderly I was referring to in the main. One reads about elderly people not having left the house once since March of last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭VG31

People weren't wearing masks in restaurants or pubs last summer when there were no vaccines. Why in God's name would people be wearing masks in pubs/restaurants after this is over?

Last August/September 95% of people did the bare minimum with mask wearing, only wearing them where they were mandatory. Social distancing was much less apparent than last spring or this winter.

I'd be suprised if the same doesn't happen this summer. The seasonal decrease in cases over the next few months, along with vaccines means people will relax again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Masks and social distancing will still be common place, maybe not because of restrictions but certainly (SOME) people will be more weary of germs, contamination, etc.

FTFY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,283 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

First thing you're told when you get vaccinated.. "now you're still going to have to wear your mask".

That's something they need to work on, I'm not vaccine sceptical but if that rule stays I don't see any point in getting a jab.
    I really don't know how a lot of people are going to stop wearing them, I've met them in the burren, driving alone on Motorways, walking around town on a quite night, on the beach, their brains have been badly warped, not only have they a fear of people, it's also of the air space around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I have totally nothing against people who want to maintain mask wearing etc it’s their decision.
    I think you're a little naive if you don't think we're going to be required to wear masks for at least the next 12 months. No matter how well the vaccines go there is still going to be the threat of outbreaks and possibly of outbreaks with variants. I'm not predicting there will be!! But they are going to very much err on the side of caution. This is going to be a VERY slow easing of restrictions.

They will be packed with something else instead.

That seems to be the part you are ignoring. Our health service has always been at breaking point, I have posted it before but here is a headline from Dec 31st 2019:

If Covid disappeared tomorrow our health service would still be at breaking point next winter, just as it was every other winter.

But what's different now is that for a full year we have been restricting society to help our "front line heroes", we have locked down and prevented people from living to ensure that our health service doesn't get overwhelmed.

And yet here you are telling us that in the future we won't lock down to ensure that our health service doesn't get overwhelmed. Really? Have you been asleep this past 9 months?

I guarantee that come next winter when hospitals will again be under non-covid pressure, there will be an inevitable cohort of do-gooders calling for NPHET to take action to protect our front line heroes and social media shaming of anybody who dares to push back against it. After all, who could possibly have a problem with wanting to protect older people...

Oh dear lots of hysteria today on the forum. I guess that’s why we were lockdown winter 2019, 2018, 2017 right?

I am curious what you "observed for months" that means "loads of people will never recover" from this. You keep coming out with bizarre statements (and things that are just factually incorrect).

Looking forward to seeing how you can extrapolate from personal observations that "loads of people will never recover."

You seem slightly unhinged.

People crossing the road to avoid walking past people on the footpath, elderly people who live alone wearing masks in their own home, people not having left the house once since March 2020. It will take those people a long time to recover in my opinion. It's not to be unhinged to hold that opinion.

• Advertisement

Oh dear lots of hysteria today on the forum. I guess that’s why we were lockdown winter 2019, 2018, 2017 right?

But the difference is that a precedent has now been set. Varadkar said in an interview a few months ago that "we know what do with the flu now".

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

FTFY

Exactly. Some weridos will carry on with it but most people will go back normal quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭VG31

The primary reason for that is you can't have vaccinated people going around not wearing masks. You'd inevitably have unvaccinated people claiming they'd got their vaccines to not have to wear a mask.

Transmission looks to be drastically reduced so the scientific argument for wearing a mask after vaccination is limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

People weren't wearing masks in restaurants or pubs last summer when there were no vaccines. Why in God's name would people be wearing masks in pubs/restaurants after this is over?

Because last summer we didn't how much good mask wearing does, now we have that data, vaccines or not, masks are here to stay. Enjoy.

VG31 wrote: »
    The primary reason for that is you can't have vaccinated people going around not wearing masks. You'd inevitably have unvaccinated people claiming they'd got their vaccines to not have to wear a mask.
    No... primary reason is you're not protected.

People crossing the road to avoid walking past people on the footpath, elderly people who live alone wearing masks in their own home, people not having left the house once since March 2020. It will take those people a long time to recover in my opinion. It's not to be unhinged to hold that opinion.

You know someone who lives alone and wears a mask when alone in the house and hasn't left their home since March last year? Or do you know "loads" of people who are doing that? Are you going from house to house looking in windows, or are you just making stuff up?

Such a trite answer tells me that you know full well that I am right but you are going to stand by your earlier posts anyway.

It is obvious to all what has changed between now and then, so obvious that you couldn't not be aware of it.

But for everybody else the point is simple and clear. Ireland locked down to "protect" its health service. Saying it won't happen again is just naïve.

But the difference is that a precedent has now been set. Varadkar said in an interview a few months ago that "we know what do with the flu now".

Do you honestly think businesses will be shut because of the flu every winter? It’s not going to happen, but dream on. I’d swear there are posters drooling at the thought lol

j@utis wrote: »
    Because last summer we didn't how much good mask wearing does, now we have that data, vaccines or not, masks are here to stay. Enjoy.

What good does it do, absolutely none, if they worked it wouldn't be illegal to leave your house without a reasonable excuse. They're a cult symbol of soladarity with NPHET nothing more.

What is that data? Can you link to it?

What percentage does wearing a mask prevent transmission? 5%? 20%?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Where is the data?

I am not sure what you mean about "data" - last August for example, mask mandates were in place on public transport. I went to a number of pubs/restaurants that month and didn't see any customers wearing masks. Did you see people in a restaurant wearing a mask, and lowering their masks for each sip of their pint? You are welcome to enjoy your mask however you see fit of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Today is March 5th...I thought we we due an announcement bout stuff??
    And maybe get thrown a bone....like travel in your own county...
    deckers..they keep changing the goalposts

Such a trite answer tells me that you know full well that I am right but you are going to stand by your earlier posts anyway.

It is obvious to all what has changed between now and then, so obvious that you couldn't not be aware of it.

But for everybody else the point is simple and clear. Ireland locked down to "protect" its health service. Saying it won't happen again is just naïve.

No i don’t think you are right. I think you are neurotic, delusion, hysterical and plain wrong. This is coming to an end. Get used to it.

lalababa wrote: »

April 5th.

lalababa wrote: »

Yes surprised the media haven't said a peep about it, they'll probably give construction a break, 5k rule has to stay no matter what, they're terrified to it could cause numbers at protests to sky rocket.

Yes surprised the media haven't said a peep about it, they'll probably give construction a break, 5k rule has to stay no matter what, they're terrified to it could cause numbers at protests to sky rocket.

The construction sector has launched a legal challenge against the M of Health over the restrictions that have closed over 60% of the sector. Report in the Indo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

The Hell it is. One I'm vaccinated I'm not wearing them anymore. The NPCs can get stuffed.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    The Hell it is. One I'm vaccinated I'm not wearing them anymore. The NPCs can get stuffed.
    People are either part of the problem or part of the solution. We know where you stand.

• Advertisement

Mr. Karate wrote: »

I think as a courtesy i’ll maintain mask wearing even if I’m vaccinated until the masses are done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement