Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Micky 32 wrote: »
    No i don’t think you are right. I think you are neurotic, delusion, hysterical and plain wrong. This is coming to an end. Get used to it.

Again you have nothing to add that rebuts the point made, just personal insults and bluster, that says it all really.

NPHET shut the country down to protect the hospitals. It happened, simple logic says it could happen again. Get used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Again you have nothing to add that rebuts the point made, just personal insults and bluster, that says it all really.

NPHET shut the country down to protect the hospitals. It happened, simple logic says it could happen again. Get used to it.

The government on the advice of Nphet shut the country. I know it's confusing to some but Nphet don't run the country but at present are a convenient 'mudflap' for incompetent politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Scotty # wrote: »
    People are either part of the problem or part of the solution. We know where you stand.

Anyone dumb enough to keep wearing them once they're vaccinated is part of the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭VG31

No... primary reason is you're not protected.

Only until 2-3 weeks after your vaccination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Nope, you are waffling on about something that won’t happen in a vaccinated world. There’s nothing to add plain and simple. If you think business will be shut down every winter you’re in for a rude awakening. MM has said himself once you open up it will be permanent no going back this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

The construction sector has launched a legal challenge against the M of Health over the restrictions that have closed over 60% of the sector. Report in the Indo.
    I think it's one company rather than 'sector'.

I pass 5 or 6 sites on my commute. All are housing and all are open.

Think they're right though. Can't see the logic of them being closed with indoor factories with massive staff are still open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,283 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

MM has said himself once you open up it will be permanent no going back.

Come on how many lies have we been told so far by our Government, how can you still trust one word out of their mouths.
    We're having a lockdown to avoid having a lockdown.:confused:

I think it's one company rather than 'sector'.

They have the backing of the construction federation. You hardly think thousands of builders were going to launch a challenge? It is only necessary for one to challenge the law that applies to the majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Anyone dumb enough to keep wearing them once they're vaccinated is part of the problem.
    How on earth is it dumb to want to protect your health? Honestly, what a moronic post!

Nope, you are waffling on about something that won’t happen in a vaccinated world. There’s nothing to add plain and simple. If you think business will be shut down every winter you’re in for a rude awakening. MM has said himself once you open up it will be permanent no going back this time.

He also said "2 weeks to flatten the curve" a year ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

How on earth is it dumb to want to protect your health? Honestly, what a moronic post!

The mask doesn't protect your health. It lessens the chance of you transmitting it to others if you're infected.

He didn't say that a year ago, Varadkar did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

What other global pandemics were there?

Asian Flu, to name one, as long as this one, and with a couple of millions deaths.
    Then the Hong Kong one, ten years later, then SAR, MERS, Swine Flu, to a lesser level, but again they were declared pandemics.
    Some of them are so recent that even younger people might remember them, though no restrictions were issued, or at least not at a level that impacted on our lives and are remembered today.
    And what's the link between severity of restrictions the idea that they will continue after the pandemic ends?

I said that most people will retain the memory of what we are living today and could keep acting as the restrictions were still in place, like being wary of someone too close to them, a fit of cough, or any suspicious symptom. Much warier than they would have been if the same episode were happening before this pandemic.

He didn't say that a year ago, Varadkar did.

You're right. I forgot he was Taoiseach at the time.

The government on the advice of Nphet shut the country. I know it's confusing to some but Nphet don't run the country but at present are a convenient 'mudflap' for incompetent politicians.

It isn't confusing to anybody, don't feel the need to point it out to me again, I am well aware of the dynamics there.

Asian Flu, to name one, as long as this one, and with a couple of millions deaths.
    Then the Hong Kong one, ten years later, then SAR, MERS, Swine Flu, to a lesser level, but again they were declared pandemics.
    Some of them are so recent that even younger people might remember them, though no restrictions were issued, or at least not at a level that impacted on our lives and are remembered today.

I said that most people will retain the memory of what we are living today and could keep acting as the restrictions were still in place, like being wary of someone too close to them, a fit of cough, or any suspicious symptom. Much warier than they would have been if the same episode were happening before this pandemic.

The 1968 flu pandemic is fascinating to read about. Life carried on as normal, but that was the pre-social media world.

People crossing the road to avoid walking past people on the footpath, elderly people who live alone wearing masks in their own home, people not having left the house once since March 2020. It will take those people a long time to recover in my opinion. It's not to be unhinged to hold that opinion.

I witnessed all of this above myself!

It is disappointing that you have such little regard for the older people dying on trolleys in our overcrowded hospitals, or that you do not care about our underpaid doctors and nurses battling in the front lines.

Why are you so resistant to giving them some help? We could flatten the curve for them just by taking some action but you won't entertain that at all, I hope that somebody you care about isn't one of those who doesn't get the help they need because of all of this.

VG31 wrote: »
    The primary reason for that is you can't have vaccinated people going around not wearing masks. You'd inevitably have unvaccinated people claiming they'd got their vaccines to not have to wear a mask.

When I said this in an earlier post of mine I was told to post my rants in the conspiracy theories forum.

Once again comparing last year to this year. It’s 2021 and vaccines vs 2020 no vaccines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,633 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

With the financial aids not ending till the end June and according to Leo we will be observing how Israel do till then. Its safe to say nothing major till July?

It is disappointing that you have such little regard for the older people dying on trolleys in our overcrowded hospitals, or that you do not care about our underpaid doctors and nurses battling in the front lines.

Why are you so resistant to giving them some help? We could flatten the curve for them just by taking some action but you won't entertain that at all, I hope that somebody you care about isn't one of those who doesn't get the help they need because of all of this.

So you’re proposing we shut down every winter for the flu? There is so much shyte in this post i just nearly didn’t reply lol

Thankfully you know nothing about me so once again you’re wrong.

The 1968 flu pandemic is fascinating to read about. Life carried on as normal, but that was the pre-social media world.

I read a few articles about Asian Flu and Hong Kong Flu, and also read the archives of national newpapers of those days, and nearly nowhere restrictions were mentioned, but what is clear is that life really carried on as usual (travels, gatherings, sport events), though the problem was world wide.
    This poses some questions on how we are managing this pandemic this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Educated guesses...

The vaccines won't be as effective as thought by the general population, especially with the continued emergence of variants that render them less and less effective.

New and discovered side effects will continue to emerge (such as suspected still-birth pregnancy, loss of taste and so on) and more than likely an increase in morbidity of the disease.

Expect continued significant outbreaks related to international travel long after the initial vaccines have been administered.

Therefore, expect continued mini lockdowns and restrictions ad infinitum, mask wearing to essentially become standard.

Economic effects are disastrous but basically unavoidable, expect the sharp end of that really soon.

We need some very serious lateral thinking on this problem, it's not going away this year or next. That's minimum. The time is well past to start planning FOR this thing and time to forget planning AROUND it. Meet it head on, deal with it.

It isn't confusing to anybody, don't feel the need to point it out to me again, I am well aware of the dynamics there.
    It appears you were confused. Nphet didn't close the country. I'll point out inaccuracies i don't believe permission is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

I am not sure why I have to explain this to you, but the reason people don't remember SARs for example, is because there were no SARs restrictions here. That's because there were only a little over 8,000 cases worldwide. So obviously no restrictions were in place here, why would there be?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

Gradius wrote: »
    Educated guesses...

The vaccines won't be as effective as thought by the general population, especially with the continued emergence of variants that render them less and less effective.

New and discovered side effects will continue to emerge (such as suspected still-birth pregnancy, loss of taste and so on) and more than likely an increase in morbidity of the disease.

Expect continued significant outbreaks related to international travel long after the initial vaccines have been administered.

Therefore, expect continued mini lockdowns and restrictions ad infinitum, mask wearing to essentially become standard.

Economic effects are disastrous but basically unavoidable, expect the sharp end of that really soon.

Fixed it for you. If you are going to pull ideas out of your ass, please don't pretend there is anything educated about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Educated guesses...

We need some very serious lateral thinking on this problem, it's not going away this year or next. That's minimum. The time is well past to start planning FOR this thing and time to forget planning AROUND it. Meet it head on, deal with it.

Where did you get your education? You might want to ask them for a refund.

Educated guesses...

This moronic post only is worthy of one reply and it’s “ LOL”

BTW so far the vaccines have exceeded expectations.

• Advertisement

I read a few articles about Asian Flu and Hong Kong Flu, and also read the archives of national newpapers of those days, and nearly nowhere restrictions were mentioned, but what is clear is that life really carried on as usual (travels, gatherings, sport events), though the problem was world wide.
    This poses some questions on how we are managing this pandemic this way.

True. Woodstock, a music festival in the US, took place during that pandemic. More than 400,000 people attended. No masks no distancing, life just carried on as normal. But the world of 1968/1969 was a very different one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement