Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

snowcat wrote: »
    Cases are but we were not testing a year ago.

We didn’t know about it a year ago!! If you’re not going to say anything of use what’s the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Wow great input. Thanks for coming, you’ve been very helpful!

No worries

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

I have no idea why people think we still be in lockdown in the summer...am I missing something here? Why are we vaccinating the vulnerable, elderly and HCW in January and February which will lead to a dramatic fall in deaths? What is it all for if we don't get back to some normality?
    Also...the money is gonna run out sometime!

No worries

Ok, I’ll bite. What’s your problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

T Holohan ain't going away unless his book deal is spectacular. Although he probably won't be able to walk away from a role where he can control people.

He'll probably want a movie, who will he want to play him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

The sooner pubs open the better, some one in the horrors it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭daheff

I have no idea why people think we still be in lockdown in the summer...am I missing something here? Why are we vaccinating the vulnerable, elderly and HCW in January and February which will lead to a dramatic fall in deaths? What is it all for if we don't get back to some normality?

Younger people get sick and die from Covid too...it's not just old and frail that die from it.

In my view it'll be mid 22 before we get back to anything like the old normal.
    I can see 21 being a lot of lockdowns gradually easing as we vaccinated more people. But until all countries are vaccinated we won't be out of this.

If it gets to a stage where we need annual boosters, well then we might see a number of flare ups for a few years across the globe until it burns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

I’d imagine the roll out will happen quicker with new vaccines coming down the pipeline. Once front liners get their vaccines they’ll be able to work and will no longer be on covid leave meaning we’d have a better team of people sorting it. The Johnson and Johnson one is a single dose so that could be a winner.

No one knows but I’d imagine things will be vastly improved by summer and once October hits and a budget is being revealed, the economic rather than the health results or covid will be centre stage

Anyone hoping the death rate will fall rapidly with vaccines are in for a shock surprise. It wont happen. The people who die with Covid are 90 % on the way out already. UK have been vaccinating for a month allready and there is still the same death rate. Israel no real reduction in death rate with 15% of population vacinated

• Registered Users Posts: 82,385 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The wind will be blown out of its sail by summer 2021, there simply won't be enough people dying from it then as they will be vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There is a limit. We cannot go beyond LXXXVII. It will all end before then....

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

daheff wrote: »
    Younger people get sick and die from Covid too...it's not just old and frail that die from it.

I can see 21 being a lot of lockdowns gradually easing as we vaccinated more people. But until all countries are vaccinated we won't be out of this.

If it gets to a stage where we need annual boosters, well then we might see a number of flare ups for a few years across the globe until it burns out.

In a tiny numbers of cases. Even now with cases at an all time high, how many young people are seriously ill or dying from it? Do you have some stats to back up your claims or is it based on RTE rounding up every horror story they can find?

And please don't Long Covid me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Anyone hoping the death rate will fall rapidly with vaccines are in for a shock surprise. It wont happen. The people who die with Covid are 90 % on the way out already. UK have been vaccinating for a month allready and there is still the same death rate. Israel no real reduction in death rate with 15% of population vacinated

15% in Israel aren’t vaccinated, they are partially vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

He'll probably want a movie, who will he want to play him?

Gerard McSorley

A mix between his John Gilligan and the judge character he played in Inside i'm dancing

• Registered Users Posts: 82,385 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Covid has kicked the winter flu's ass, not heard a single case of it since March 2020.

daheff wrote: »

But if we are mostly vaccinated by June say...why wouldn't restrictions be lifted? I'm genuinely asking this question here...why is it going to take 2 years of vaccination??
    And if 90% of deaths occur in the elderly and vulnerable...are we really going to stay under serious restrictions for the other 10%? Again...a genuine question here.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭sibersha

I think we are in for another couple of months of harsh lockdowns.

Then in spring / summer when most of the vulnerabile have been vaccinated, we will be living with some iteration of level 3/4 restrictions.

Hopefully as the year progresses, vaccination supplies are ramped up. But I think once there is adequate supply of vacancies the next hurdle will be convincing the skeptics to receive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

I think the vaccine rollout will accelerate significantly both here and across Europe in the coming months, especially when the Oxford vaccine is approved and many of the current problems have been resolved. There will be growing pressure from the media, business groups and the public to get it going much more efficiently, this has already started to happen.

If I had to guess on the timescales for re-opening of Ireland;

Mid Feb: Schools and Construction.

March: Non-Essential retail, Golf, Tennis

April: Outdoor Dining, Gyms, Larger attendance at weddings and funerals.

May: Indoor dining.

June: Wet pubs, Theatres, Bingo Halls, Cinemas. Family gatherings.

July: Non-essential foreign travel allowed without having to isolate for 2 weeks if you have been vaccinated or get negative Covid test.

August: Work from home recommendations gradually lifted. Capacity limits on public transport increases.Crowds can attend sports events outdoors but not full capacity.

September: On campus attendance for 3rd students. All staff can return to offices. Conferences and exhibitions can take place.

October/ November: Most restrictions lifted as concerts can go ahead and nightclubs open. Full attendance at sporting events.

Christmas as normal. Hopefully....

WTF is the point of the vaccine then???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

This current surge will be past us in a couple of weeks....we will mistakenly credit the lockdown for this.

We will go back to testing healthy people and chasing cases which in my view is a huge mistake...we won't see a surge like this again until next winter, but we will see cases every day until then.

We need to stop the daily numbers pantomime.
    We need to stop testing healthy people.

The reason we saw the current surge was not because of people celebrating Christmas, there was similar behaviour witnessed when the restrictions were relaxed back in the summer and there was no surge...it is the time of year when our immune systems are at their weakest.

We should be back to normal by March....but I can't see that happening if we keep on doing what we have been doing since the thing began....it's like we haven't learned a thing!!!

• Advertisement

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    15% in Israel aren’t vaccinated, they are partially vaccinated.

Partially vaccinated is probably good for 100% short term immunity, More than likely after 4-5 days after injection

The U.K. have vaccinated just over a million people in the past month, the vaccine has absolutely nothing to do with the death rate of the past month as these people won’t have been vaccinated.

The U.K. have vaccinated just over a million people in the past month, the vaccine has absolutely nothing to do with the death rate of the past month as these people won’t have been vaccinated.

Im not talking about the death rate today...I'm obviously talking about when we will begin to open up in spring and summer time. And some people are saying 2022 and I'm asking why!!

We need to ask those questions. There is a lot of people getting very very rich out of Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

It takes 3 weeks or so before the vaccine kicks in and becomes effective. People also need a second shot, which I suspect none have got yet. Come back in a month with that comment maybe, but until then you don't know what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

But if we are mostly vaccinated by June say...why wouldn't restrictions be lifted? I'm genuinely asking this question here...why is it going to take 2 years of vaccination??
    And if 90% of deaths occur in the elderly and vulnerable...are we really going to stay under serious restrictions for the other 10%? Again...a genuine question here.

Because some freaks on here actually love lockdowns and get some sort of joy out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Rule out this year. Start planning for normality mid 2022. Barring severe mutations or any new virus of course.

So when did these people get infected? 80% of care home residents were vaccinated by the end of december in the UK. There should be no care home residents dying in the uk at the moment with covid. The mortality figures should be going down not up. Something is not tallying.

Im not talking about the death rate today...I'm obviously talking about when we will begin to open up in spring and summer time. And some people are saying 2022 and I'm asking why!!

I was just saying that the comment about the U.K. vaccinating and look at their death rate being the same was wrong, the vaccine has nothing to do with the UKs death rate being the same as it was as those people won’t have been vaccinated.

The vaccine will lower transmissions to the point it is as manageable as the flu, likelihood is it will become an annual vaccination in the same way the flu jab is.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    It takes 3 weeks or so before the vaccine kicks in and becomes effective. People also need a second shot, which I suspect none have got yet. Come back in a month with that comment maybe, but until then you don't know what you're talking about.

What a load of bull. If it took 3 weeks for the vaccine to kick in there would have been a hell of lot more covid infected in the vaccine trials.

Actually now that i think of it the trials would have been pointless. The trials showed a 95% reduction in infection from when the first injection was administered as compared to the placebo. Someone may confirm but i doubt they started analysis 2 or 3 weeks after the second dose

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement