Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

markodaly wrote: »
    As per the WHO, CDC, ECDC and other public health NGO's that is a dangerous game, that should be avoided, but I guess our resident public health experts know better.

You can't get to zero cases with an endemic virus.......but if you want to go down that rabbit hole fire away, just go down it on your own with Sam McConkey and the two of you can have a socially distanced jolly old time.

Anyone in public health or for that matter in any walk of life advocating zero covid is living in an unobtainable nirvana.

All that matters is keeping hospitalisation and deaths low and within the scope of our ailing health service. Once vaccination increases we open up and it will be fine but it won't be zero. The only way to achieve zero is to literally hard lockdown the country for 2-3 weeks and that means no contact at all, no mixing, no shopping, nothing at all open and no one leaving their homes. You then have to keep our borders shut including the NI border indefinitely.

Do you want that as that is the only way you can achieve and maintain zero covid with an endemic global virus ?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Guaranteed they will try and lock us down and probably succeed because there will be cases and deaths and the majority even if they are presumably vaccinated will still go along with it.
    I have no doubt it would happen. I met people wearing 2 masks in the park today. Wearing gloves. Rubbing sanitizer on their hands. In a park.

Neurotic hysteria.....it is truly staggering what has happened to some people, watching a fella two nights ago walking a dog in an empty park wearing a mask.....I actually don't know what goes through their heads. Total and utter neurosis at this stage.

IF everyone is vaccinated and IF there are ZERO local cases, then yes one can go back to normal.

But if there are local cases, then stuff like large crowds as parades, festivals, sporting events, or travel to wherever you want, without some checks, are not going to happen.

****. That.
    Do we lock down for a case of chicken pox? Or Flu? Or TB?
    If people are such simpletons as to accept restrictions over a disease which by then will cause a handful of deaths then they don't deserve any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

****. That.
    Do we lock down for a case of chicken pox? Or Flu? Or TB?
    If people are such simpletons as to accept restrictions over a disease which by then will cause a handful of deaths then they don't deserve any better.

Why are people such simpletons to accept restrictions since Christmas? And why would they not accept them if we had a similar situation again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

That is Trump talk to be fair.

Many of your posts are needlessly aggressive, whereby anyone who disagrees with you gets some semi-personal jab.

As per the polls, they are not my polls, but polls carried out by polling agencies, which appear to have a pattern, that most people are happy with the current level of restrictions. I guess, they must all be wrong and you with your wet finger in the air, must be right.

No, i was posting my real life experiences that don’t match up with your polls you posted definitely not percentage wise. You didn’t like that and now resorting to “trump talk” tactics now because i didn’t agree with you, which is absolute total nonsense talk. If you think people are happy out there you really need to take your head out of the sand.

Sure criticise my agressive posts, maybe you should address your posts too, All they seem to do is be of a WUM nature while exaggerating what people post to try and strengthen your argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Dickie10

If we hit 1m per month for April and May, as is projected, we'll have half the country vaccinated. Come June and July, we'll be there. Looking at how the UK is progressing as compared to its timeline, I have no reason not to be optimistic at this stage that we'll be roaring back to normal come the August Bank Holiday.

not if King Tony has his way, we will be gravely concerned at case numbers and ICU numbers not lowering fast enough, so no August bank holiday, much to dangerous , they might throw us the last week in august to spend a few pounnd down the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Neurotic hysteria.....it is truly staggering what has happened to some people, watching a fella two nights ago walking a dog in an empty park wearing a mask.....I actually don't know what goes through their heads. Total and utter neurosis at this stage.

I wear the mask sometimes just to keep my face warm. Glad I get to live rent free in people's heads for it.

I think the summer will be great because the virus seems a to be seasonal. Numbers are going down and the vaccine is being rolled out. The summer will see most restrictions loosened and lifted.

The questions which remain are about winter - because the virus seems to be seasonal. Whether the numbers stay low enough to avoid reimposing restrictions is the question which remains.

On one hand we have the seasonality of the virus and reduced or completely lifted restrictions (full stadiums, concerts, nightclubs, public transport, Christmas travel etc) and on the other hand we have the majority of the population vaccinated. So what will happen? How high will transmissions go and what will the hospitalisation and death rate be and will we need restrictions to control them?

Those are the big questions which remain. But this summer will be great

Come September lets say we will have far more people vaccinated than in July. Let's say November we reach 80%. I'm not too concerned here about the time frame and percentages, they are just examples. Also let us say Covid is still transmitting away to its hearts content but the health impact is minimal.

I know you don't specify the type of restrictions but surely in the above scenario the economy will be fully open. There may be precautionary measures such as a cap on mass gatherings but events will be going ahead. Free movement around the country will be permitted. The usual things of life will have returned.

Having an effective vaccine that at least prevents serious illness should surely negate any seasonality issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Dickie10

people are getting desperate for gloom now if they think restrictions will ever come back in after mid june. ask yourself this, can you see France, Germany etc shutting businesses and schools because there afraid of flu from novemeber -april each winter? some people need a chat with themselves. yes when britain open on june 21 we will be very close behind, do people honestly think there will be border checkpoints by Gardai or PSNI in June? id say in 2 weeks you could go back and forth easily if you wanted. If pubs and hotels are open as normal in Armagh, Derry, Belfast etc, there will be a tailback each friday evening going into the north for the weekend from the republic, same with mainland britain. i will head for Ascot or Goodwood in summer if crowds are not back at racing here.

Come September lets say we will have far more people vaccinated than in July. Let's say November we reach 80%. I'm not too concerned here about the time frame and percentages, they are just examples. Also let us say Covid is still transmitting away to its hearts content but the health impact is minimal.

I know you don't specify the type of restrictions but surely in the above scenario the economy will be fully open. There may be precautionary measures such as a cap on mass gatherings but events will be going ahead. Free movement around the country will be permitted. The usual things of life will have returned.

Having an effective vaccine that at least prevents serious illness should surely negate any seasonality issues.

Well, you've answered your own question in the set up. If the health impacts are minimal then no big problem.

The post was about the fact that we don't know what will happen yet. If there's no problem then, no problem.

• Advertisement

Well, you've answered your own question in the set up. If the health impacts are minimal then no big problem.

The post was about the fact that we don't know what will happen yet. If there's no problem then, no problem.

Given all the data so far I'm hopeful that even if we have thousands of people with Covid their symptoms will be mild to none.

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Cases are irrelevant, if hospitalisation and deaths are low we move on. Zero covid is a total and utter fantasy. This is an endemic virus.

The poster knows well we’ll never have ‘ZERO’ cases. It’s just his way of saying we won’t be ever going back to normal and i think he has no problem with that scenario. Thankfully we will get normality back. I would take a lot of posts with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Not this year is my realistic view. Positive view is maybe by Xmas this year.

Vaccine rollout will be slower than they say and then we’ll have supply issues.

The people who haven’t followed the rules so far will go mad in the summer months causing lockdown 4 with the HSE saying we’re too close now to go back to square one.

Just my view of course.

100% agree on this, I reckon it will be at the earliest Jan/Feb 2022 when things will be fully opened up again and people will be able to travel even with the country, but sure look as far as I'm concerned it's all for our safety so I've no issue with it.

Given all the data so far I'm hopeful that even if we have thousands of people with Covid their symptoms will be mild to none.

I'm sure we all hope for that. Unfortunately, hoping won't have any impact on what will happen. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I'm sure we all hope for that. Unfortunately, hoping won't have any impact on what will happen. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Focusing on worst case scenarios can be helpful for some of us, I've done it myself. Now I'm all about the hope. I just can't for the life of me see a scenario where we have most of us vaccinated but are still living with lockdowns and/or heavy restrictions.

Focusing on worst case scenarios can be helpful for some of us, I've done it myself. Now I'm all about the hope. I just can't for the life of me see a scenario where we have most of us vaccinated but are still living with lockdowns and/or heavy restrictions.

I’m not focusing on the worst case scenario. Im pointing out that the big questions are around how things will go next winter. I covered the ideal scenarios we both want and a bad scenario which we don’t want.

If you ignore the scenarios you don’t want to think of, then I’m not surprised you can’t imagine those scenarios. We don’t know what will happen yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Dickie10 wrote: »
    people are getting desperate for gloom now if they think restrictions will ever come back in after mid june.

I think its more of a lack of faith on the Govt's part. They certainly carry on like they would leave us in permanent lockdown if they could.

I’m not focusing on the worst case scenario. Im pointing out that the big questions are around how things will go next winter. I covered the ideal scenarios we both want and a bad scenario which we don’t want.

If you ignore the scenarios you don’t want to think of, then I’m not surprised you can’t imagine those scenarios. We don’t know what will happen yet.

I can't imagine that scenario because I wouldn't function if I did.

You are actually pointing out the reality of it, I can't see the country going back to any kind of normality until at the earliest September but I thin realistically it'll be this time next year.

I can't imagine that scenario because I wouldn't function if I did.

With the data that keeps emerging from these vaccines it’s unlikely you’ll have to imagine that scenario going forward.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

If people seriously think we're going to have future lockdowns for illnesses other than covid then they've lost their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

GoneHome wrote: »
    100% agree on this, I reckon it will be at the earliest Jan/Feb 2022 when things will be fully opened up again and people will be able to travel even with the country, but sure look as far as I'm concerned it's all for our safety so I've no issue with it.

you seriously think people won't be able to travel within the country until next year? the eu are looking into restarting travel during the summer amongst member states and the uk are planning on restarting international travel in may. what you've just said is borderline parodical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

People in here have lost their minds. The summer is the end of this nonsense. People die, they always have and always will, that's part of life.

Thankfully we will be taking our lead from countries like the UK and US who will steamroll back into business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

People in here have lost their minds. The summer is the end of this nonsense. People die, they always have and always will, that's part of life.

Thankfully we will be taking our lead from countries like the UK and US who will steamroll back into business as usual.

according to a poster here you won't be able to leave your county until more or less this time next year at which point our economy would be borderline amish. it's like there's a competition as to who can dream up the most drawn out unrealistic timeline

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

If people seriously think we're going to have future lockdowns for illnesses other than covid then they've lost their minds.

Climate lockdown is next

ypres5 wrote: »
    you seriously think people won't be able to travel within the country until next year? the eu are looking into restarting travel during the summer amongst member states and the uk are planning on restarting international travel in may. what you've just said is borderline parodical

Look I'm just giving it to you from what I'm reading etc, it actually doesn't bother me to any great extent, both me and my partner are working from home, we haven't really met up with family or friends for the last 12 months, we're living in a very rural area of Co Limerick and have adapted to this way of living with restrictions and accepted that it's going to be the way for a good few months to come. The way I see it, our elderly parents are safe and well with these restrictions and that's the main thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Yes indeed, we should take our cue from Boris Johnson and the governor of Texas, that is is the way forward.

Yes indeed, we should take our cue from Boris Johnson and the governor of Texas, that is is the way forward.

Look that's your opinion but from my point of view I lost a first cousin to covid back last year, a guy in his 50s, so no I don't want to see any rushing back into lifting restrictions like what happened at Christmas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

The worry is that they'll open for summer to "reward" the public then restart the lockdown sh1te in the autumn using spurious reasons like new variants.

• Advertisement

sabat wrote: »
    The worry is that they'll open for summer to "reward" the public then restart the lockdown sh1te in the autumn using spurious reasons like new variants.

But sure it's obvious that is going to happen like last year, the UK are being overly optimistic on the whole opening up of the country, no regard for the many new variants that will strick in the coming months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement