Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Slowly but surely this is coming to an end. An increasing number of people are no longer wearing masks. I've seen a good few people now in the shop I work not wearing masks. Tonight a bus went past me with two passengers not wearing masks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

sabat wrote: »
    The worry is that they'll open for summer to "reward" the public then restart the lockdown sh1te in the autumn using spurious reasons like new variants.

No, there will be no lockdown sh1te in he autumn once the masses are vaccinated. Take with a pinch of salt the doom on this thread. MM said himself once we open up we ‘must stay open’

GoneHome wrote: »
    But sure it's obvious that is going to happen like last year, the UK are being overly optimistic on the whole opening up of the country, no regard for the many new variants that will strick in the coming months.

Are you suggesting we live like this forever?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

GT89 wrote: »
    Slowly but surely this is coming to an end. An increasing number of people are no longer wearing masks. I've seen a good few people now in the shop I work not wearing masks. Tonight a bus went past me with two passengers not wearing masks.

But sure what's the logic in that, people not wearing masks will just prolong the spread and thus the lockdown

Are you suggesting we live like this forever?

The poster seems to be happy in lockdown. :rolleyes: take no notice.

• Advertisement

Micky 32 wrote: »
    The poster seems to be happy in lockdown. :rolleyes: take no notice.

I am by no means happy in lockdown, as I said we can't get to visit out parents who are in there 70s and 80s, we're both into Trad music which we haven't been able to get involved with in a year now at this stage so no we are induring lockdown for what it is and keeping ourselves and our families as safe as we possibly can.

But sure what's the logic in that, people not wearing masks will just prolong the spread and thus the lockdown

You clearly don't realise if no one complies with lockdown then there is no lockdown.

You clearly don't realise if no one complies with lockdown then there is no lockdown.

Oh right, good man, I presume you were in Grafton Street last weekend as well

Oh right, good man, I presume you were in Grafton Street last weekend as well

Lots of construction going on despite non essential construction work being closed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

many new variants that will strick in the coming months.

Let me guess, ones that haven't been discovered yet that'll render the vaccines useless?

Change the record, I'm bored of that one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Already seeing news articles about Irish limited vaccines affecting us in NI. I was worried this would be the next excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

Let me guess, ones that haven't been discovered yet that'll render the vaccines useless?

Change the record, I'm bored of that one.

Why do you have to get a flu shot every year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Chawosfski

Which comes back to the point that certain posters couldn't wrap their heads around a few days ago.

When covid is done there will be other public health threats, and lockdowns have now been normalised as a way to deal with them.

Imo that will depend on lockdowns elsewhere

We'll hardly be going it alone with lockdowns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Dickie10 wrote: »
    people are getting desperate for gloom now if they think restrictions will ever come back in after mid june. ask yourself this, can you see France, Germany etc shutting businesses and schools because there afraid of flu from novemeber -april each winter? some people need a chat with themselves. yes when britain open on june 21 we will be very close behind, do people honestly think there will be border checkpoints by Gardai or PSNI in June? id say in 2 weeks you could go back and forth easily if you wanted. If pubs and hotels are open as normal in Armagh, Derry, Belfast etc, there will be a tailback each friday evening going into the north for the weekend from the republic, same with mainland britain. i will head for Ascot or Goodwood in summer if crowds are not back at racing here.

13 minutes before you posted this you were waffling on about King Tony locking us down until The end of August. You’re fond of the drama. Btw, calling Covid the flu makes you look like an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭topdecko

Looks like electric picnic going ahead so that heralds a return to normality!! Mind you the only people on planet earth who think that will happen are the organisers of electric picnic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Power and Complete Control over us.

Ok I'll humour your conspiracy theory for a minute against my better judgement.
    How does the government benefit from complete control over us for the next few months until the vaccine takes effect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

aido79 wrote: »
    I just can't understand this way of thinking. Why do you believe the government wants to lock us down? How does it benefit them?

It doesn't, but then locking down for the past 9 months doesn't benefit them either so clearly there are other factors in play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Dickie10

topdecko wrote: »
    Looks like electric picnic going ahead so that heralds a return to normality!! Mind you the only people on planet earth who think that will happen are the organisers of electric picnic.

ploughing is supposed to be still on cards to go ahead too. surely you get hard to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    I think its more of a lack of faith on the Govt's part. They certainly carry on like they would leave us in permanent lockdown if they could.

Desperate for doom and gloom or thinking the government will leave us in permanent lockdown.

Maybe it’s just because nobody knows what will happen next winter when most of the adults are vaccinated and restrictions have been lifted. Maybe it will be fine with very low hospitalisations and deaths, maybe those numbers will be high enough to need restrictions.

The question is whether this whole thing will be over this year or not so it’s not normal to refuse to even think about the second hall of the question.

I can't imagine that scenario because I wouldn't function if I did.

Ok.

Wanting to consider it or not, doesn’t have any impact on whether it will happen or not. If you don’t want to think about the topic of the thread then that’s fair enough.

• Advertisement

You are actually pointing out the reality of it, I can't see the country going back to any kind of normality until at the earliest September but I thin realistically it'll be this time next year.

Those are probably the two scenarios. If things go great we could be back to total normality this year or if the winter goes wrong with new variants or whatever, and we need restrictions or even a lockdown, then it will be this time next year when we emerge.

It’s the topic of the thread so I don’t see any point in ignoring the scenario which I don’t want to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland-to-have-highest-debt-per-head-in-europe-this-year-1.4503652
    Ireland to have highest debt per head in Europe this year

Ireland is forecast to have the highest government debt per head of population in Europe this year, as the impact of Covid-19-related borrowings pushes the burden on each individual in the State up by almost €4,000 in 2021.

The figures also show that Ireland has experienced the sharpest increase in debt per head over the past year, up 9 per cent, or €3,919, on 2020.

It is forecast to rise by a further €1,509 per person in 2022.

The second-largest increase is France, where the debt burden is to rise by €3,013 per head of population this year. As a comparison, debt per capita is expected to rise by €2,158 per person in the UK this year, and by €954 in Germany.

This is debt which of course the public will not accept increased taxes or any sort of austerity to pay for, and of course the government are aware that introducing austerity or increased taxation will set out the red carpet for SF to be in the next government. While all can accept it is the right policy to borrow so long as society is closed (whether you agree it should be closed or not), due to the extra increase in borrowing by Ireland, we will not be in a position to wait out covid longer than other EU countries.

Meaning, if we see other countries in the EU and also the UK moving ahead with reopening and generating tax revenue, it will not be very smart of us in Ireland to keep up a policy of paying businesses to stay closed and people not to work by borrowing. For example, Germany has a 5 step plan to ease all restrictions, as does the UK. For whatever reason, Ireland has decided not to communicate its plan to the public but I think it is a good guide to follow what these other countries are doing to consider how soon we will be fully reopen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

It doesn't, but then locking down for the past 9 months doesn't benefit them either so clearly there are other factors in play.

Such as the health system?
    From the very start of this the government has been very upfront in saying that 80% of people will only have a mild illness if they contract covid19. It's been known all along that there is a high survival rate and that probably only 5% of people will be hospitalised. The thing they have been trying to avoid is a situation where due to the way covid19 spreads we have a situation where 5% of the population requires hospital treatment in a very short of time.
    To put some figures on that there are approximately 700,000 people in Ireland over 65 years of age. 5% of that is 35,000. The health service just doesn't have the capacity to cater for this number of people with a short space of time so lockdowns are necessary to slow the spread of covid19, not to eliminate in it, just to slow the spread of it.
    This isn't rocket science and a majority of the population seem to understand it, even if most people are fed up with it at present, but there are a minority of people for which it just doesn't sink in and can only think of how it affects them and couldn't care less about vulnerable people dying.

What other factors do you think are in play? Is it all a conspiracy or plandemic/scandemic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I don't remember it being said we were to have vaccines before the end of last Summer. The time I seen them hoped for was September/October.

But last year they did say that this thing would have been over soon. At the very beginning, this virus would have even never got to Europe, then it got here, but it would have been short lived.
    One of the most important economic newspaper even published an article in February 2020 where they said that the coronavirus wouldn't have had the least effect on the global economy and it would have gone nearly unnoticed.
    Wow!

Tazz T wrote: »
    Vaccines are preventing deaths and serious illness.

A proper vaccine should prevent people from being infected in the first place, not keeping them healthier than an ICU patient.
    All vaccines so far given to the world population along human history have kept people safe and clear from the virus. These vaccines seem to work differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

A proper vaccine should prevent people from being infected in the first place, not keeping them healthier than an ICU patient.
    All vaccines so far given to the world population along human history have kept people safe and clear from the virus. These vaccines seem to work differently.

I'm okay, for the moment, with a vaccine that prevents hospitalisation and death.

I understand that the current batch of vaccines are not a complete guarantee that I will not get covid. I also understand that they are not a complete guarantee that I will not pass it on to someone else in the unlikely event that I am infected while vaccinated.

Yes, I would like a vaccine that prevents infection. But for the moment, something that open the country back to normal is absolutely fine with me. There are hundreds of covid vaccine's in testing and trials. I fully expect in a short number of years we will have a better vaccine that fully prevents infection.

JDD wrote: »
    I fully expect in a short number of years we will have a better vaccine that fully prevents infection.

That is scary!
    It means that unless they develop a "real" vaccine, we won't live a normal life again. And maybe even after that!
    Scary!

That is scary!
    It means that unless they develop a "real" vaccine, we won't live a normal life again. And maybe even after that!
    Scary!

That depends on how the winter goes. If the winter goes fine then there's no big problem. If it doesn't go well then we need to start looking at other solutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

That is scary!
    Scary!

Don't worry economic reality will get us back to normality even if a vaccine doesn't.

• Advertisement

That is scary!
    Scary!

Scary ? despite current vaccines making you very unlikely ending up in hospital and dying along with possible 60/70% transmission reduction ? Give over with the dramatics :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement