Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Any ideas when I can travel over 5km? Seems a long time now, we've low rates but the 5th highest restrictions in the world currently according to Oxford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Scotty # wrote: »
    No you're not.

But I'm not surprised you'd say you are. It's just another example of misinformed shyite talk that's rampant throughout this thread. In 16 years on boards I've never seen a thread with so much inaccuracies, misinformation, and out right lies declared as proven facts.

Protip: when you post ****e on boards and 12 people like your post, it doesn't validate your 'fact'. It just means there's 12 more loons on the thread.

The whole thread belongs in Conspiracy Theories.

None of us know what's coming. None of us. We can only hope.

Grow up Scott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Scotty # wrote: »
    You mean apart form the medical experts, WHO, scientists, doctors, virologists, immunologists. health advisers, the UK Roadmap, and world leaders stating it? Hmmm, call it a hunch.

And yet some of the experts are saying this now CDC , this is the beginning of that snowball rolling down the hill:

https://twitter.com/laoneill111/status/1369004105746776064?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Any ideas when I can travel over 5km? Seems a long time now, we've low rates but the 5th highest restrictions in the world currently according to Oxford.

I would say no sooner than after the bank holiday in April.

Should hopefully be extended to county travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Thanks, hopefully no more than a month to go do...

5th April 2021 -- Easter Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,283 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You must be able to do outdoor activities anywhere in April, infact it should be encouraged, the CDC found that of the people admitted to hospital, 78% were heavy and really feckin heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

If it was refutable, you’d refute it. You can’t though, can you? It’s usually pretty easy to refute BS. That’s the nature of BS.

Trust me if there was anything of substance or relevance there to refute I would. But an info graphic about inter personal abusive relationships being copied and pasted into a rant about covid - thats simply is neither substantive or relevant. That's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You must be able to do outdoor activities anywhere in April, infact it should be encouraged, the CDC found that of the people admitted to hospital, 78% were heavy and really feckin heavy.

What has the Center for Disease Control and Prevention in the United States got to do with Ireland considering their present rate of vaccination and that advice is for those who have been vaccinated in the US?

Should we write emails to encourage them or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

gozunda wrote: »
    Trust me if there was anything of substance or relevance there to refute I would. But an info graphic about inter personal abusive relationships being copied and pasted into a rant about covid - thats simply is neither substantive or relevant. That's about it.

“Y-you’re so wrong that it’s impossible for me to tell you how or why you’re wrong! That’s how wrong you are! You’re so wrong that it’s not even worth explaining, though I will post about it several times explaining that.”

Try harder next time my man. Also maybe re-read my post and the infographic. Also, if you want to refute anything I said or the general idea put forth by me posting that infographic, again, please go ahead. I’ll even make it easy for you:

Based on the American Psychiatric Association, Center for Workplace Mental Health’s 15 abusive relationship signals, our government is currently exhibiting behaviours of an abusive relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1369112962670104578

What a mess.

This is going to create a lot of Euroscepticism across Europe.

• Advertisement

mcsean2163 wrote: »

Nothing stopping you travelling outside your 5km. Most people are at it. Absolute ridiculous restriction. Was in Howth at the weekend and the place was packed. Great to see so many people out enjoying the great weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

We're all inside getting fat and being deprived of vitamin D

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭topdecko

Based on the American Psychiatric Association, Center for Workplace Mental Health’s 15 abusive relationship signals, our government is currently exhibiting behaviours of an abusive relationship.

Do you really believe this or are you taking the piss??
    Multiple countries in europe going back into lockdown and struggling with serious third wave of infection. Czech Rep and Slovakia having to transport patients to Germany and neighbouring countries as they are overwhelmed. Poland had restaurants/ cinemas and bars open at 50% occupancy and they are going to have to impose stricter measures as well due to increasing numbers of cases.
    we went from 6,000 cases per day in Jan and a health system close to collapse to our current situation primarily because of lockdown and public adherence and grit. Now because it has been successful you are clamouring for a return to a 3rd wave scenario. Logical stuff alright

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

The end seems further and further away, never any good news regarding vaccinations or new infections... they are clueless when it comes to updating the public... Every time they open their dull slack jawed gobs it is BAD NEWS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Aren't people "heavy" because "someone" asked them not to move from home?
    Now they're encouraging them to move so they may lose some weight?
    Interesting.

Aren't people "heavy" because "someone" asked them not to move from home?
    Now they're encouraging them to move so they may lose some weight?
    Interesting.

Can people not move in their homes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

topdecko wrote: »
    Do you really believe this or are you taking the piss??
    Multiple countries in europe going back into lockdown and struggling with serious third wave of infection. Czech Rep and Slovakia having to transport patients to Germany and neighbouring countries as they are overwhelmed. Poland had restaurants/ cinemas and bars open at 50% occupancy and they are going to have to impose stricter measures as well due to increasing numbers of cases.
    we went from 6,000 cases per day in Jan and a health system close to collapse to our current situation primarily because of lockdown and public adherence and grit. Now because it has been successful you are clamouring for a return to a 3rd wave scenario. Logical stuff alright

If only there was a middle ground between having restaurants and bars open at 50% capacity and the level of restrictions we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Its amazing how many posters here who just come on this thread every day to say "well we really dont know when it will end and whats going to happen"

Every day, the same thing, ad nauseam, rinse and repeat?

Why?

The thread is about people discussing when this will all end, poster comes on and gives their opinion as to when that might be the case followed by "well we really dont know when it will end and whats going to happen"

No we dont know, we cant tell the future but wouldnt mind having a discussion about it and yes we heard ye the first time like! We get that!!

Its a bit like sitting in bar in the good old times having a discussion about things over a pint, "well lads whos going to win the match on saturday?" being interrupted by the pub dose (every pub has a dose no one wants to get stuck talking to) shouting over at you "well we really dont know whats going to happen"

"jaysus lads the long term weather forecast is giving that we will have great weather over the Easter, be great to get out" followed by the dose, "long term weather forecasting is notoriously inaccurate so we dont know whats going to happen"

"well lads what do ye make of Trump, will he run again in 2024 or....." followed by dose "well we dont really know what will happen as he may face some financial issues in the intervening years and...."

"Ah here **** it lets go somewhere else lads"

What we can tell is NPHET are running a numbers game on us..

Asked why Longford and Offaly have the highest county incidences of Covid-19, Dr Glynn cited a number of workplace outbreaks in the midlands and also outbreaks among Travellers in the region.

But he pointed out that some of the outbreaks may be “old” and are being recorded now because public health staff are catching up with them as overall case numbers decline.

I'll just repeat that again for anyone that missed it..

But he pointed out that some of the outbreaks may be “old” and are being recorded now because public health staff are catching up with them as overall case numbers decline.

So now the numbers have dropped we need to bounce them up with historical cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Asked why Longford and Offaly have the highest county incidences of Covid-19, Dr Glynn cited a number of workplace outbreaks in the midlands and also outbreaks among Travellers in the region.

So now the numbers have dropped we need to bounce them up with historical cases.

This has been the procedure for logging records all along. It's not something new.

• Advertisement

Nothing stopping you travelling outside your 5km. Most people are at it. Absolute ridiculous restriction. Was in Howth at the weekend and the place was packed. Great to see so many people out enjoying the great weather
    Indeed. And then moan and cry about the lockdown being extended for the 36th time!

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1369112962670104578

What a mess.

This is going to create a lot of Euroscepticism across Europe.
    This is a shame but no surprise to anyone I don't think.

We all knew if the gov were promising 250k vaccines per week we'd by lucky to get half that.

I honestly will be impressed if we can get 120k done two weeks in a row in the next 12 months.

It's been a disaster for the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Tazz T wrote: »
    Greece is far from open for travel at the moment. They're talking about 1st June onwards, but currently battling a new wave despite severe lockdown since December (UK variant to blame by the looks of things). They need to get that under control before then, but two months will probably do it.

Looking at some of the new 'waves' in Europe, it seems to be the countries that managed to avoid the worst of earlier waves (or didn't have the full three waves) that are being affected. The learning might that severe lockdowns simply delay the inevitable and the best strategy is what it was at the beginning - 'flatten the curve' and protect the hospitals from being overrun while the virus runs its course.

The later the waves the better as you have better clue how to treat the virus... You also have a chance to protect the vulnerable better..

Look at the mortality rates comparing 1st wave to 3rd wave...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

I don’t understand why data can’t be both accurate and contemporaneous. The whole way through this we have had issues locally in Ireland and internationally, with what amounts accurate data but that seems to be presented in very useless ways.

It shows for example the mortality reporting system isn’t due for anything other than broad historical analysis and the case reporting system seem to be unable to produce live data or update retrospectively, placing spikes when they happened, rather than when added to the database.

It’s not much use if you’re trying to use it to respond in real time. The systems are obviously meant for longer term epidemiology studies, not live reporting but you would think a year into this, data scientists would have built new systems to do that.

Just as an example, our system for reporting deaths is absolutely archaic. It should be able to record them as hospitals or similar report them at a technical level. The formalities of civil registration of individuals is another matter and work in parallel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Its the same trick as they play with the 'Daily Deaths' figure.

For instance one day last week a headline figure of 39 deaths was reported.

These were made up of : 10 this month, 12 in February, 13 in January and three earlier than this.

Are we supposed to believe that a year into this NPHET still dont have accurate daily figures ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Have NPHET figures been audited?

It’s not a trick it’s just an inappropriate way of capturing and displaying data that’s designed for far slower analysis in normal times.

The systems never had to produce daily figures for anything as there was no fast moving pandemic like this that needed that kind of data updated all the time.

What I don’t get with the death figure though is you’re not talking about vast amount of data. To the point that you could easily manually update it, applying dates and updating the figures retrospectively on a live system.

Normally they’re only used for say capturing data for comparing years or long term trends for diseases like cancer.

We’ve never had any situation where daily figures are driving public policy and individuals’ responses to contain something.

We’ve never had any situation where daily figures are driving public policy and individuals’ responses to contain something.

We had in 2009, the Tony & Tony show was all over the news here and in the states. People wearing masks in public and screaming for vaccines that came in record time.

We had in 2009, the Tony & Tony show was all over the news here and in the states. People wearing masks in public and screaming for vaccines that came in record time.

The Swine Flu epidemic was very much less dramatic than this. I remember hand sanitisers appearing in various places but that was about it.

There was a big availability of Tamiflu as a treatment and some high speed vaccine rollout, which didn’t get all that much uptake from what I remember of it.

I got that in the middle of a course I was doing and had to resit part of it. It was a fairly nasty dose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

My GF had a phone call from beauty salon telling her they are taking bookings for end of April.

End is in sight.

Yes yes, we just dont know. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement