Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »

The government by the way isn't doing fine.....they have done absolutely nothing bar use the EU as an excuse for supply - the infuriating thing is any money spent over the odds acquiring extra vaccine supplies outside of the EU procurement path would have been paid back in spades getting the economy open faster. It would have also shown to people who have been deeply affected financially by this and been prevented from trading, that the government actually had some semblance of understanding what these people have been through.

By the way more signs tonight in the media of vaccine supply issues.....

A two island policy is not going to be an option so better to address it now. The NI border won't be closed therefore stop playing games and just get a policy in progress now. Anything else is a fudge and we have had enough of those.

IBEC estimates this crisis will cost Ireland 50 billion euros.

We really should have went it alone in purchasing these vaccines direct from manufacturer and not relied on the EU.

According to this article the most expensive vaccine is around 19 euros.
    https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n281

Lets say we did a deal for double the price we could have bought 10 million does ie enough for the whole country for 380 million instead of pissing away 50 billion on PUP,TWSS,supporting the industries that are closed etc.

Why they still cant go and do this now is beyond me. They are a useless shower of idiots that couldn't manage a good ****e.

If we had a leader or health minister who had any cop on he`d be calling all these vaccine manufacturers and offering them double the price with guaranteed delivery times. Its not like we need a few hundred million doses - 10 million would get us out of this. And then vaccinate 24/7 once we get them.
    Drive in vaccine stations,pharmacies,dentists - anyone that can stick a needle in someones arm - even get a few junkies off OConnell street to help!!!!

This rollout is taking too long and they cant keep blaming suppliers for it. They need to get off their arses and be pro-active about it.

I was right about this rollout being a joke when I said this back on December 21st.
    Maybe its just the cynic in me but I really fear letting the 3 muppets of the apocalypse anywhere near this roll out.

We as a country dont usually do things the right way when it comes down to it.

We can all be as positive as we like but I feel we (the government) will make a balls of this roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Hellrazer wrote: »
    IBEC estimates this crisis will cost Ireland 50 billion euros.

We really should have went it alone in purchasing these vaccines direct from manufacturer and not relied on the EU.

According to this article the most expensive vaccine is around 19 euros.
    https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n281

Lets say we did a deal for double the price we could have bought 10 million does ie enough for the whole country for 380 million instead of pissing away 50 billion on PUP,TWSS,supporting the industries that are closed etc.

Why they still cant go and do this now is beyond me. They are a useless shower of idiots that couldn't manage a good ****e.

If we had a leader or health minister who had any cop on he`d be calling all these vaccine manufacturers and offering them double the price with guaranteed delivery times. Its not like we need a few hundred million doses - 10 million would get us out of this. And then vaccinate 24/7 once we get them.
    Drive in vaccine stations,pharmacies,dentists - anyone that can stick a needle in someones arm - even get a few junkies off OConnell street to help!!!!

This rollout is taking too long and they cant keep blaming suppliers for it. They need to get off their arses and be pro-active about it.

I was right about this rollout being a joke when I said this back on December 21st.

Good post, I suppose ultimately you have to get into the heads of our politicians, if the vaccine arrives quickly from the EU great they look great, if the vaccine is slow well it is not our fault but we have to be good Europeans and wait our turn.

In essence they feel they can't lose at the moment.

If they go it alone and pick up the blower and throw money at the problem it takes some initiative and go forward and taking of responsibility, all these words sit very uneasily with the muppets......

And sure you can understand their point of view......its not as if they are on 350 euro a week and wondering which bill to pay next......sure that is Joe Citizen's problem.....nothing to do with me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

It because the government is weak, spineless and couldn't make a decision if their lives depended on it.

But you know we`ll vote the same spineless and weak people back in at the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

If the UK was in a position to give us say 2 million doses right now the EU would prob insist on Ireland dispersing them across Europe...Which we'd do of course...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

There's lots of chatter amongst US commentators and scientists now that they will be "returning to normal" this year, probably towards the end of Summer. We will still have to be careful, particularly over Winter, but science is getting us out of this. This is happening (in my opinion).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

It because the government is weak, spineless and couldn't make a decision if their lives depended on it.

But you know we`ll vote the same spineless and weak people back in at the next election.

its because none of the real rebels will run for office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Good question - they are all afraid to do anything without his stamp of approval. He must have some juicy dirt on the government.

He does indeed. I have the scoop. But keep it between us. Apparently Tony Holohan knows that the government went against Nphet advice at Christmas time and word on the street is that didn't turn out too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

He does indeed. I have the scoop. But keep it between us. Apparently Tony Holohan knows that the government went against Nphet advice at Christmas time and word on the street is that didn't turn out too well.

It went as badly as it did BECAUSE they kept such strict restrictions in place for so long. You can't battle against human nature, even with the best of intentions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,926 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

its because none of the real rebels will run for office

And whenever one of them does run there is always an excuse NOT to vote for them :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Monster249 wrote: »
    It went as badly as it did BECAUSE they kept such strict restrictions in place for so long. You can't battle against human nature, even with the best of intentions.
    Their intentions were very far from pure - in fact they were and are evil.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    And whenever one of them does run there is always an excuse NOT to vote for them :pac:

delusions of grandeur? why did you not vote for Gemma?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,926 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Their intentions were very far from pure - in fact they were and are evil.

To what end Richie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

pjohnson wrote: »
    To what end Richie?
    Pearse and Tone did not die to create a totalitarian state, nor to be subservient to people sitting in the Belgian capital.

Pearse and Tone did not die to create a totalitarian state, nor to be subservient to people sitting in the Belgian capital.

do you think either would have been able to organize a vaccine roll out though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,644 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

There'll be no songs written about MM and Leo

Thinking of it, it's very possible there could be esp by the hipsters that painted that superman tony mural.

Some of the polls I’ve seen are both scary and hilarious at the same time.

I genuinely think they could ask “Would you like to keep restrictions even after Covid?” and a sizeable number would say yes.

Somebody needs to explain the financial reality to people...

I genuinely think they could ask “Would you like to keep restrictions even after Covid?” and a sizeable number would say yes.

where are these polls?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

I guarantee most of the Yes voters are the classroom Communists aka Professional Students who have never worked a day in their lives and have no intention of ever doing so. Its easy to have a "lockdown forever" mindset when you know you'll never be on the hook to pay for them.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    I guarantee most of the Yes voters are the classroom Communists aka Professional Students who have never worked a day in their lives and have no intention of ever doing so. Its easy to have a "lockdown forever" mindset when you know you'll never be on the hook to pay for them.

if you end restrictions what will the conspiracy nuts move onto? they are the people who dont want it to end, more comfortable hiding at home

RGS wrote: »
    Our biggest problem is the ingrained conservatism in our politicians, which is matched by NPHET.

We rejected the suggestion for a longer gap between jabs, which appears to be producing good data. We stick to the guidelines from the manufacturers. That's an reasonable approach if no other data is available, yes the UK may have gambled but it appears to be paying off.

NPHET are still not convince on antigen testing despite evidence that it is another tool in the fight against covid.

I am beginning to believe nothing of significance will change on the 5 April. Certainly nothing that will provide relief to the majority of the population.

When is Tony H due back to work?

There will have to be changes after April 5th. People will only suffer through this for so long. Especially since their only implemented to give cover to our inept Government and Health services.

Protests will only get more and more frequent the longer they attempt to drag this out. As more and more Countries start announcing the end of their lockdowns and restrictions this year the worse and worse the Govt and HSE will look. Though at this stage they deserved to be humiliated at every turn.

• Advertisement

There will have to be changes after April 5th. People will only suffer through this for so long. Especially since their only implemented to give cover to our inept Government and Health services.

Protests will only get more and more frequent the longer they attempt to drag this out. As more and more Countries start announcing the end of their lockdowns and restrictions this year the worse and worse the Govt and HSE will look. Though at this stage they deserved to be humiliated at every turn.

Ireland will unlock at a similar rate to the rest of euro across April and may, its not rocket science

they dont want lockdown are you mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Them polls are disingenuous for example Claire byrnes **** show last night had a poll basically asking should electric picnic go ahead and of course it was an overwhelming no and then this morning on rté they were saying how it was people are more cautious sure just look at the poll last night. There was no bloody mention of the demographics of the Claire Byrne audience whatsoever and that basically the average age watching that ****e is of an older pursuasion. If the same poll was put on 2fm at 8 in the morning I wonder what result they would get.

Ireland will unlock at a similar rate to the rest of euro across April and may, its not rocket science

Martin previously mentioned that lockdown could go on until May. Its not mad to expect the worst from these buffoons at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭HBC08

There really was no need for the personal abuse.

I had posted the link from our National Broadcaster that said we were due 2.2 million doses. No conspiracy theory there at all.

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2021/0...id-19-vaccine/

When I click on that link I get a picture of Bosco.

Again this goes back to critical thinking and ability to digest and reason facts.
    I haven't read your link as it's not working but if it does say that we're getting 2.2m doses of a vaccine thats not even approved in this country by the end of March then I know it's BS.

Is it personal abuse if that has to be pointed out to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

I honestly believe the government were so scared after Christmas that any thing NPHET recommend will be rubber stamped without debate or argument.

There is no chance we will open at a similar pace to the rest of Europe. We have Leo, mm, NPHET pouring cold water on foreign holidays, stating we might have outdoor dining in the summer and further restrictions in winter.

If figures continue to drop for the next 2 weeks we should be in level 4 for April and level 3 for may.
    But we know that would not be proposed by NPHET.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

RGS wrote: »
    I honestly believe the government were so scared after Christmas that any thing NPHET recommend will be rubber stamped without debate or argument.

The biggest problem with the government is not just that they are so impotent, it is that they are completely disassociated.

People talk about maybe April, maybe May, perhaps its June before people will be allowed to earn a living again. And they are all just words, because when you have been locked down for a year, sure whats another few months, right? Just throw another few weeks on between levels, sure what odds, its just a week or two, right?

And its disgraceful, because those weeks and months matter. That extra month could be the difference between a business hanging on by its fingernails and a business finally going bust. That extra week could be the week that a husband finally hangs himself because of the pressure.

There are people and real lives behind all of this and the government has completely lost sight of that. It used to be a massive, massive thing to lock people down for a few weeks, now they kick the can down the road a few months with barely a second glance, because they are no longer giving any thought to the non covid effects that these lockdowns have.

A weak leader is a problem in peace time. In times of trouble an indecisive, impotent, disassociated leader destroys lives. Thanks mehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

cant see anything more than a few soundbites and a change to the arbitrary. 5k for changes in april and running into May.

While I've had enough and am at the end of resolve with it, I have to admit many others are coping well, i dont know if they all have much more resolve or are actually liking the situation.

Delay in vaccine suplies will be used to keep us all restricted imo, sept dates will be pushed out until year end and then further again. Even our vaccinated are still under the same severe restrictions, to me that shows their isn't even plan on the radar for this finishing.

I know from family in USA they have restrictions too but intensity this level and timeframe would never be accepted elsewhere.
    After each passing week the light at the end of the tunnel seems further away

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I do believe that many are happy getting the €350 a week and sitting at home as they feel once this is all over they'll have to go back to working their ass off for long enough. Get rid of the PUP entirely and see how long lockdown will last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

That's just nonsense talk. We know we are going ahead with vaccinations and we know as cases go down- restrictions will be rolled back and yeah so that's a bumpy road but guess what we're in the midst of a global Pandemic.
    Countries right across Europe are in trouble atm - see Austria or Czechoslovakia for example and see what they're facing atm. We're not going to slavishly follow anyone just because they might be ahead of as in many cases behind us.

Every feking government and health service has been pressed to the pin on their collar to deal with the fallout of large numbers of admissions and ICU admissions specifically. Our own recent surge which saw ICUs full to the brim was no joke.

This bs that 'people' are all a hive mind and are going to join some mad insurrection is just pure bs.

Yeah we've seen what the 'protests' were like. You'd get better traction off the side of a box of cheap matches.

Each and every country is dealing either their own problems. Yeah the UK are ahead of us by stint of being able to access and manufacture t vaccines and fair play to them. They will also serve to be out canary in the coal mine. But I wish them well and it looks like we'll be no more than a month or two behind them all things being well.

I'd love to see people who think like this given some ppe and thrown in at the frontline and told to get on with it. That type of brave talk wouldn't be long disappearing tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

The problem with this approach is that as soon as we did this, then our equally rich neighbours, like say Germany, would also be forced (understandably by their citizens) to take the same approach. Now you have an order for 60m people at x2/x3/whatever the original price coming from Germany and our 4m order coming,

Which do you think would get priority when the supply issues appear? Who has the real leverage here?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement