Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Rodin wrote: »
    Plenty of businesses still going if their van'a presence on the road is anything to go by.
    If the regulation were enforced we wouldn't still be at over 600 cases a day.

The high levels of circulating disease are one reason why this "lockdown" will drag on even longer.

Bills need to be paid I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Micky 32 wrote: »
    You don’t need the vaccines to work 100%. However with all the data that’s available they work well enough to stop hospitalizations from being overwhelmed. That’s what matters.

I know we don’t need vaccines to work 100%. Nobody has suggested the vaccines will work 100%.

I get that you’re convinced you know what will happen, but the people who will be making the decisions have told us they don’t know what will happen. So unless you’re going to be making the decisions on behalf of government by the time winter comes, then I’m happy to say it’s clear that you’re extrapolating too much from the available evidence and making up the difference with wishful thinking.

• Site Banned Posts: 85 ✭✭jackryan34

I guess it doesn’t register with you does it. Kids will eventually be approved in months to come. Anyway i’ll explain it to you again.

The adults, old and vulnerable are getting vaccinated. They are the ones mostly causing hospitals to fill up, deaths also. Once the majority of them are inoculated you’ll see hospitalizations plummet.
    If you aren’t able to understand this there’s nothing more i can do for you.

Leo spelt it out today for you Micky

You still don't get it

You will in October

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I know we don’t need vaccines to work 100%. Nobody has suggested the vaccines will work 100%.

I get that you’re convinced you know what will happen, but the people who will be making the decisions have told us they don’t know what will happen. So unless you’re going to be making the decisions on behalf of government by the time winter comes, then I’m happy to say it’s clear that you’re extrapolating too much from the available evidence and making up the difference with wishful thinking.

You suggested ongoing restrictions because the vaccines don’t work 100%. You were the one that brought that up.

Secondly i’m not “convinced i know what will happen” i was giving my opinion on what i think most likely will happen given my research on the subject and the data that emerges everyday.

Wishful thinking? Lol i don’t think it’s me that’s wishful thinking. :rolleyes:

jackryan34 wrote: »
    Leo spelt it out today for you Micky

You still don't get it

You will in October

Good luck

Maybes, could be’s etc etc etc. if you think business will be shut every winter because of the flu you’ll be disappointed. Either way i won’t be locked up because i’m in the position i can relocate to the USA so worse case scenario that’s what i’ll do. But i’ll be thinking of you if you can’t travel more than 5km

However i don’t think that will happen, i’d say you’re safe enough ;)

• Advertisement

You suggested ongoing restrictions because the vaccines don’t work 100%. You were the one that brought that up.

Secondly i’m not “convinced i know what will happen” i was giving my opinion on what i think most likely will happen given my research on the subject and the data that emerges everyday.

Wishful thinking? Lol i don’t think it’s me that’s wishful thinking. :rolleyes:

No, you suggested I don’t think vaccines work. I do think they work. But how well they will be able to prevent us from needing restrictions with c.65% of the population vaccinated in winter, remains to be seen. Pretending you know the answer to this question, involves wishful thinking to bridge the gap between what we know so far and the conclusion you’ve reached. You claim you don’t assert it with certainty... I could quote several times where you assert it with certainty. Ending a declarative statement with “end of” doesn’t really suggest you’re leaving much room for uncertainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

Maybes, could be’s etc etc etc. if you think business will be shut every winter because of the flu you’ll be disappointed. Either way i won’t be locked up because i’m in the position i can relocate to the USA so worse case scenario that’s what i’ll do. But i’ll be thinking of you if you can’t travel more than 5km

Don't listen to this clown, he's horny for lockdown. He's going to have to find a new fetish.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Monster249 wrote: »
    Don't listen to this clown, he's horny for lockdown. He's going to have to find a new fetish.

His safe word might be 'dont stop'

No, you suggested I don’t think vaccines work. I do think they work. But how well they will be able to prevent us from needing restrictions with c.65% of the population vaccinated in winter, remains to be seen. Pretending you know the answer to this question, involves wishful thinking to bridge the gap between what we know so far and the conclusion you’ve reached. You claim you don’t assert it with certainty... I could quote several times where you assert it with certainty. Ending a declarative statement with “end of” doesn’t really suggest you’re leaving much room for uncertainty.

65%( your claim) = old, vulnerable, most adults = avoids hospitalization/deaths= life goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭S_D

Theres so much absolute garbage being talked about here when NO ONE knows what will happen. People talking about winter 2021 ffs, this country doesnt know whats happening on April 1st yet!!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 85 ✭✭jackryan34

Is that Leo you referring to?

Cause he basically confirmed Winter 21-22 lockdown incase you missed it

jackryan34 wrote: »
    Is that Leo you referring to?

Cause he basically confirmed Winter 21-22 lockdown incase you missed it

Confirmed? Lol where did he say confirmed?:rolleyes:

“While Mr Varakdar said nobody could say for certain that there wouldn’t be another lockdown, he said the vaccine data was “very positive”, with all vaccines showing “close to 100pc effectiveness in preventing severe illness, hospitalisation and death”.

If the latter proves to be true it will be unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭S_D

Confirmed? Lol where did he say confirmed?:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

dublin49 wrote: »
    listening to Leo at 1PM would not suggest there will be much change in April,construction back and 5 kms rule amended is all he mentioned and suggested level 5 will be maintained.

He can go **** himself sideways if he thinks people are going to stay in lockdown for damn near most of Summer and then expect us to endure another lockdown for Winter.

65%( your claim) = old, vulnerable, most adults = avoids hospitalization/deaths= life goes on.

65% is 80% of adults. It’s a reasonable estimate of what we can achieve by the end of the year.

We’ll get around to vaccinating the under 18s when the vaccines are approved for them. So far they estimate it won’t start until end of the year. So the 65% is based on the evidence we have. I could inject some wishful thinking and boost it to 90% for you, if you prefer. But it won’t change the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Arthur45

It will end when human will be humble. Next thing is coming even bigger than covid

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Arthur45 wrote: »
    It will end when human will be humble. Next thing is coming even bigger than covid

I read that in the voice of Yoda- it improved the post 100%.:D

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

The sum total of their efforts to procure more vaccines confirmed by MM earlier. They rang Germany and asked for some of their AZ that they said they weren't going to use.

You really couldn't make up this sh1t.

No engagement with the UK to try at least align the border counties with NI's rollout pace.

No engagement with the US with whom we have a strong relationship with.

No engagement with the big bad Russians.

Nothing.

A cursory phonecall to Germany which no doubt they knew would be rejected.

Utterly pathetic.

65% is 80% of adults. It’s a reasonable estimate of what we can achieve by the end of the year.

We’ll get around to vaccinating the under 18s when the vaccines are approved for them. So far they estimate it won’t start until end of the year. So the 65% is based on the evidence we have. I could inject some wishful thinking and boost it to 90% for you, if you prefer. But it won’t change the reality.

It’s nothing to do with wishful thinking. It’s not the under 18’s clogging the hospitals or dying that’s the reality. The cohort that cause the hospitalizations and deaths are the most important and will be protected. I don’t think you’re capable of understanding that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Arthur45

I read that in the voice of Yoda- it improved the post 100%.:D

It sounds even more dramatic like this :D

• Advertisement

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    His safe word might be 'dont stop'

Yeah, you get this sort of thing. It happened in the pubs thread before Christmas. Anyone who didn’t thing pubs should open was called anti-drink and non-drinkers. It wasn’t true, the majority of people who didn’t think pubs should open in November or December were not anti drink and enjoyed going to the pub. But they were able to separate the question of whether they would like something to happen and what should or will most likely happen.

Likewise, I don’t like lockdown, but I can differentiate between what I want to happen and what is likely to happen. In this case, I don’t want restrictions (only a tiny minority like restrictions) but I can acknowledge that we don’t have enough evidence to rule them out or rule them in during the winter.

Saying anyone who acknowledges the uncertainty around what will happen in winter is “horny for lockdown” will definitely get you a few thanks, just as saying someone is anti drink for not thinking pubs should have opened in December. But it doesn’t really have any basis in reality.

But the reality remains that we don’t know what will happen in the winter. Things might go great and we can get through without restrictions or they might not go so well and we might need restrictions. Only time will tell.

Lundstram wrote: »
    The sum total of their efforts to procure more vaccines confirmed by MM earlier. They rang Germany and asked for some of their AZ that they said they weren't going to use.

You really couldn't make up this sh1t.

No engagement with the UK to try at least align the border counties with NI's rollout pace.

No engagement with the US with whom we have a strong relationship with.

No engagement with the big bad Russians.

Nothing.

A cursory phonecall to Germany which no doubt they knew would be rejected.

Utterly pathetic.

I read this morning in some UK rags that Boris had told the Irish that he would finish with the UK before considering their needs. I filed it under 'likely didn't happen', but now you mention asking the Germans - perhaps he figured out how to use a phone and was given some numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm a Dual Irish-American citizen and I'm definitely looking into getting out of here. My Sister already had job interviews for a few jobs in the States [one seems really keen to hire her if she can get out there] I was a Residential Doorman in NY so Hospitality is my field. And this Government has decimated that industry. God only knows when it will recover.

I have already made up my mind that I will not be working until I day I die to pay for these assholes lockdowns.

Yeah, you get this sort of thing. It happened in the pubs thread before Christmas. Anyone who didn’t thing pubs should open was called anti-drink and non-drinkers. It wasn’t true, the majority of people who didn’t think pubs should open in November or December were not anti drink and enjoyed going to the pub. But they were able to separate the question of the the they would like something to happen and what should or will most likely happen.

Likewise, I don’t like lockdown, but I can differentiate between what I want to happen and what is likely to happen. In this case, I don’t want restrictions (only a tiny minority like restrictions) but I can acknowledge that we don’t have enough evidence to rule them out or rule them in during the winter.

Saying anyone who acknowledges the uncertainty around what will happen in winter is “horny for lockdown” will definitely get you a few thanks, just as saying someone is anti drink for not thinking pubs should have opened in December. But it doesn’t really have any basis in reality.

Mute reality remains that we don’t know what will happen in the winter. Things might go great and we can get through without restrictions or they might not go so well and we might need restrictions. Only time will tell.

Stylish post - love how you became the downtrodden saint in the second movement.

Get off your donkey- even it doesnt like the product you are making it pull.

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    I read this morning in some UK rags that Boris had told the Irish that he would finish with the UK before considering their needs. I filed it under 'likely didn't happen', but now you mention asking the Germans - perhaps he figured out how to use a phone and was given some numbers?

I cannot believe there has been no engagement with the US. They are awash with vaccines and they now have a president who prides himself on his Irish roots.

FFS there's only 5M on this island, surely a deal can be done for at least 1m from the US' stock. Pay double. Do whatever it takes.

Just fcuking get it done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,831 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I cannot believe there has been no engagement with the US. They are awash with vaccines and they now have a president who prides himself on his Irish roots.

FFS there's only 5M on this island, surely a deal can be done for at least 1m from the US' stock. Pay double. Do whatever it takes.

Just fcuking get it done!

Yeah, I'm sure the us senate and citizens would be delighted that a million of their vaccines ended up being sold off.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm sure the us senate and citizens would be delighted that a million of their vaccines ended up being sold off.....

According to the Irish Times the EU exported 8 million vaccines to the UK

According to the Irish Times the EU exported 8 million vaccines to the UK

They've also given/sold some to Mexico and Canada.

Pathetic old Ireland will just twiddle their thumbs and wait for their share from the equally pathetic EU.

They've also given/sold some to Mexico and Canada.

Pathetic old Ireland will just twiddle their thumbs and wait for their share from the equally pathetic EU.

Is there a vaccine/medicine approval function within Ireland? You would think with our vastly bloated system of functionaries there might be one?

Why cant we follow other EU countries and get Sputnik and vaccines on the open market? The Russians have 3 viable vaccines, the Indians are wholesaling a generic AZ. The cost of buying at Israel prices is less than the cost of lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

They are probably happy enough with the low amount of vaccines coming in. Easier to not **** it up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement