Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Lundstram wrote: »
    I cannot believe there has been no engagement with the US. They are awash with vaccines and they now have a president who prides himself on his Irish roots.

FFS there's only 5M on this island, surely a deal can be done for at least 1m from the US' stock. Pay double. Do whatever it takes.

Just fcuking get it done!

Covid vaccines, for a brief period of time hopefully, are the most valuable commodity on the planet.

No democratic country is going to flog them when large swathes of their populations remain at risk.
    We might have a chance if a nation came to the firm conclusion that their population just won't accept a particular brand. But even then, why would they give them to us when there are countries that are far more in need?

Lundstram wrote: »
    They've also given/sold some to Mexico and Canada.

Pathetic old Ireland will just twiddle their thumbs and wait for their share from the equally pathetic EU.

Bordering countries.

Generous, maybe. But it was not an act of altruism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    Stylish post - love how you became the downtrodden saint in the second movement.

Get off your donkey- even it doesnt like the product you are making it pull.

Thanks. Meanwhile, back on topic... oh your post is totally beside the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Reported for trolling.

Back on subject - its going to end when people stop getting tested, when the vulnerable, the elderly, and those who really want a vaccine are able to get it - im not so sure its going to be possible to maintain test numbers.

The point you've been forced to rehash again and again is entirely correct.

There isn't a soul in the country or outside of it that can tell you what's going to happen or when. We're in wait and see mode, measuring the impact of slowly reopening things.

If someone is telling you with any degree of certainty what's gonna happen in April, May or whenever, then they're clearly unaware of what we and many other countries are currently doing. Or they could just be waffling their holes off.

Oh and dude, you should report those abusive posts you received. Water off a ducks back I'm sure, but the day might come when your impressively laidback demeanour cracks and you say something naughty. These very same people will report the **** out of you for it.
    That's the game unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Yes we should endeavour to source additional supplies of vaccines but lets be realistic we are a small nation and if we went solo we would be behind all the bigger countries.

The eu procurement has been poor but we are better within it than competing against it.

The point you've been forced to rehash again and again is entirely correct.

There isn't a soul in the country or outside of it that can tell you what's going to happen or when. We're in wait and see mode, measuring the impact of slowly reopening things.

If someone is telling you with any degree of certainty what's gonna happen in April, May or whenever, then they're clearly unaware of what we and many other countries are currently doing. Or they could just be waffling their holes off.

Oh and dude, you should report those abusive posts you received. Water off a ducks back I'm sure, but the day might come when your impressively laidback demeanour cracks and you say something naughty. These very same people will report the **** out of you for it.
    That's the game unfortunately.

This is a discussion of when it will end. Not a discussion of infinity. People post differing ideas and thoughts they have.

If you are reading this thread for a definitive idea of when this mess might end, you might be better reading the daily sport - it atleast can be used to wipe your arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Scotty # wrote: »
    Now, imagine without ANY restrictions what that number would get to? Would it be twice as bad? 5 times? 10 times worse? 50 times worse maybe??
    Or would it be exactly the same?

There is plenty of evidence to suggest that indeed it would be. There is no evidence for these so-called "lockdowns" or other totalitarian impositions on our lives. Absolutely no evidence whatsoever...

This is a discussion of when it will end. Not a discussion of infinity. People post differing ideas and thoughts they have.

If you are reading this thread for a definitive idea of when this mess might end, you might be better reading the daily sport - it atleast can be used to wipe your arse.

You clearly underestimate what I'm prepared to use when I run out of toilet paper.

And yes it is a discussion, and our friend dude here has a valid, informed opinion on the matter that people are harassing him for.
    Essentially at the moment this particular thread is a bit pointless. I think that's the very valid point he's making within the thread. You all seem to hate the poor dude for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Great to see, Ireland could be a very different place come end of the year this is just the begining:

https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1369546137468801025?s=21

• Advertisement

You clearly underestimate what I'm prepared to use when I run out of toilet paper.

And yes it is a discussion, and our friend dude here has a valid, informed opinion on the matter that people are harassing him for.
    Essentially at the moment this particular thread is a bit pointless. I think that's the very valid point he's making within the thread. You all seem to hate the poor dude for it.

This is a discussion - you keep missing the point that next to no one knows the plan out of this. Hence posters are saying what they think might happen. Its a sad reflection on terrible messaging by the ruling uniparty.

The said poster is making posts in the far more legitimate main thread, these also happen to be wild eyed conspiracy stuff - if you are following him, its my personal suggestion that you take a break from worrying, take some time away from news and forums, and consider that some people sadly gain joy from trolling and causing worry to others.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Great to see, Ireland could be a very different place come end of the year:

Michael Bay worst case scenario aside, Ireland will be in a much better place come the end of the year.

Virus-wise at least.

I realise I've just said nobody can predict anything, but I'm special.

Great to see, Ireland could be a very different place come end of the year this is just the begining:

This is great news. Mirrors the UK - its time to start considering that this nightmare is over.

This is a discussion - you keep missing the point that next to no one knows the plan out of this. Hence posters are saying what they think might happen. Its a sad reflection on terrible messaging by the ruling uniparty.

The said poster is making posts in the far more legitimate main thread, these also happen to be wild eyed conspiracy stuff - if you are following him, its my personal suggestion that you take a break from worrying, take some time away from news and forums, and consider that some people sadly gain joy from trolling and causing worry to others.

I might take some time off to reflect on what you've said, and I also might not.

I've no idea what's going on in the main thread these days, though I've heard it's gone to ****e :)

Mod: You were banned from the main thread. You don't get to comment on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

Extremely promising. All we need is to get the vaccine numbers up and that's the end of this. I feel there are people who are not appreciating how close to the end of all restrictions we actually are.

I might take some time off to reflect on what you've said, and I also might not.

I've no idea what's going on in the main thread these days, though I've heard it's gone to ****e :)

Indeed it has. No hard feelings btw - I hope everything is good with you, and im sure we both agree the sooner things get normal again the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,831 ✭✭✭hynesie08

This is great news. Mirrors the UK - its time to start considering that this nightmare is over.

It's not over, but we're negotiating the terms of surrender. The most important thing is to get out as safely as possible and never going back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Extremely promising. All we need is to get the vaccine numbers up and that's the end of this. I feel there are people who are not appreciating how close to the end of all restrictions we actually are.

I feel you're over estimating the capabilities of the HSE and government. The rollout has been one cock up after another. Missed targets - by a lot, failure to deliver vaccines to 200 gp practices and the awful communication.

We are nowhere near the end of these restrictions. MM said earlier there will be very little if any easing in April.

Their overly conservative approach will continue to the bitter end.

Indeed it has. No hard feelings btw - I hope everything is good with you, and im sure we both agree the sooner things get normal again the better.

None at all.

You seem quite affable when you're not giving my buddy the dude a hard time for being entirely correct.

that got quite bitchy towards the end. sorry, I meant the first bits too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Or would it be exactly the same?

There is plenty of evidence to suggest that indeed it would be. There is no evidence for these so-called "lockdowns" or other totalitarian impositions on our lives. Absolutely no evidence whatsoever...

I don't understand your point.

Are you suggesting the surge we had in Dec/Jan would have happened either way?

Are you suggesting if restaurants, pubs and nightclubs were opened and filled like it was 2019 at Christmas it would have had zero additional effect on the devastating case numbers?

Are you suggesting the lockdown we are all currently experiencing is totally futile in the fight to suppress case numbers and keep vunerable people safe?

• Advertisement

W123-80's wrote: »

Are you suggesting if restaurants, pubs and nightclubs were opened and filled like it was 2019 at Christmas it would have had zero additional effect on the devastating case numbers?

Are you suggesting the lockdown we are all currently experiencing is totally futile in the fight to suppress case numbers and keep vunerable people safe?

As Risteard says, there is no evidence that separating an infected person from an uninfected person stops the spread of the virus.

I think what he's getting at is that covid must travel through windows unimpinged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Hellrazer wrote: »

NZ has basically been a country in lock down with no inward travel since last year. And its an interesting one.

Its never going to be an easy one to compare though.

But here goes.

4.91 million population.
    26 covid deaths - death rate of 0.0005 %
    Over 65s - 495600 - Death rate .005%

So lock down has probably saved them 2450 deaths.

Has it actually saved them 2450 deaths, or has it just saved them 2450 deaths with/elated to Covid.

That’s the question people should be asking when assessing the efficacy of their lockdown and isolation strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

Has it actually saved them 2450 deaths, or has it just saved them 2450 deaths with/elated to Covid.

That’s the question people should be asking when assessing the efficacy of their lockdown and isolation strategy.

As morbid as it sounds how many people were on the way out already that died or close to it.

Does the population of 4,900,000 have to suffer because someone died a few weeks sooner with covid.

I've just asked myself your question several times and now I feel a bit dizzy.

What does it mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I've just asked myself your question several times and now I feel a bit dizzy.

What does it mean?

I’m not sure what is so confusing?
    How many of the 2450 lives potentially ‘saved’ from dying with Covid in NewZealand over the last year have actually passed due to old age or some other ailment anyway.

I’m not sure what is so confusing?
    How many of the 2450 lives potentially ‘saved’ from dying with Covid in NewZealand over the last year have actually passed due to old age or some other ailment anyway.

oh, sorry

W123-80's wrote: »

Yes I am. I'm stating that it's all absolute nonsense.

The virus will spread. These social control measures do sweet didly squat to alter its trajectory. And there is overwhelming evidence that what I am stating is true.

The virus will spread. These social control measures do sweet didly squat to alter its trajectory. And there is overwhelming evidence that what I am stating is true.

What about all the countries where the virus control measures worked really quite well, Risteard?

I've heard your evidence is overwhelming, so please, overwhelm me with facts.
    Drench me in facts, Risteard!

What about all the countries where the virus control measures worked really quite well, Risteard?
    You made that claim, so you provide the evidence to verify its veracity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,591 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Well all of that is clearly untrue.

Of course measures alter the trajectory of the disease. They've already done do. Several times. It's not credible for people to still be making claims like this at this stage of the game.

Restrictions reduce social interaction and contact in a population. This virus spreads through social interaction and contact. If you have more interaction and social contact you'll have more virus, and if you have less of it, then you'll have less of it. All of that is really inarguble.

I understand people can argue about their relative effectiveness and cost etc - but to suggest they simply don't work at all and the amount of virus would be the same regardless? That's just plain silly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement