Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

Am i right to think that judging by the leaks about no reduction of any significance until mid may(which im sure will be extended again) that this lockdown\period of extreme restrictions will be at least as long as the first lockdown if not much longer.

Todays opinion on the question when will it all end, cant see there being a period of time again without any restictions on our previous freedoms(covid 19 related for a few years and whatever comes after that maybe something to do with climtate change)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Am i right to think that judging by the leaks about no reduction of any significance until mid may(which im sure will be extended again) that this lockdown\period of extreme restrictions will be at least as long as the first lockdown if not much longer.

Certainly is shaping up to look like that. The sad part is that this will go well into Summer, crawl out of it at a snail's pace and then come Oct they'll force us into another one and we'll be right here this time next year wondering when it will end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'm not sure that the Taoiseach or Tánaiste giving an interview to a national newspaper really counts as a leak. Seems more like a planned communication. So I think we can take them seriously. They'll be subject to change if the situation changes drastically for better or worse, but I think you could take them seriously as the current best estimate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,083 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Certainly is shaping up to look like that. The sad part is that this will go well into Summer, crawl out of it at a snail's pace and then come Oct they'll force us into another one and we'll be right here this time next year wondering when it will end.
    The year is 2050, the taoiseach is making the annual announcement of 12 month lockdown to "cover the 10-14 days to flatten the curve".
    We now have to keep 10 meters distance and wear 4 masks.

Covid is eradicated and multiple vaccines exist, yet government wouldnt give up their control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Was missing there for a while, had my bday. Invited 6 friends. Poker, drinks, for like 8 hours straight. Incredible.

Rule of 6. Although there were 7 of us :pac: so I suppose I broke that rule

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

ELM327 wrote: »
    The year is 2050, the taoiseach is making the annual announcement of 12 month lockdown to "cover the 10-14 days to flatten the curve".

Covid is eradicated and multiple vaccines exist, yet government wouldnt give up their control.

Too bad Ireland doesn't have a Court System worth a damn. They could do like some State Supreme Courts have done to certain Governors and strip them of their Emergency Powers since the power was clearly going to their heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Fair illustration of the hysteria surrounding the whole situation. Whatever about if some restrict will be needed this coming winter, all things going to plan, they won’t be needed any other winter. This idea that the Irish government has suddenly discovered its inner totalitarian, is silly. But if you enjoy the role playing, fair enough. Enjoy it.

As a matter of interest, to those who think their kind of thing is likely: have all the world’s governments suddenly turned despotic or is it just Ireland?

St Patricks day protest sounds like going to be quite a large gathering. anyone has more info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

This one will be longer. The first one was taken way more seriously. Far more were working from home last time, far less were packing out Harvey Norman's and Woodies every weekend. So, the numbers are coming down much slower this time.

Current projections are showing early May for double digit cases, that's not what determines lockdowns but I'm just using it as an indicator, I can't see us opening up while we're still in triple daily figures.

Food for thought, 13th June 2020 was the first time we postponed opening the pubs. There were 21 cases that day.

• Advertisement

St Patricks day protest sounds like going to be quite a large gathering. anyone has more info?
    Yes, it's going to be attended by the usual knuckle draggers who while protesting the length of lockdowns will fail to see the irony that in doing so, they are actually extending the length of lockdowns. The rest of us will point and laugh.

Scotty # wrote: »
    Yes, it's going to be attended by the usual knuckle draggers who while protesting the length of lockdowns will fail to see the irony that in doing so, they are actually extending the length of lockdowns. The rest of us will point and laugh.

How long are they extending it by?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

It's funny how alike they all are. Most of them are clear scumbags and the rest are clearly dim.

Fair illustration of the hysteria surrounding the whole situation. Whatever about if some restrict will be needed this coming winter, all things going to plan, they won’t be needed any other winter. This idea that the Irish government has suddenly discovered its inner totalitarian, is silly. But if you enjoy the role playing, fair enough. Enjoy it.

As a matter of interest, to those who think their kind of thing is likely: have all the world’s governments suddenly turned despotic or is it just Ireland?
    It's obviously an exaggeration on my behalf but it illustrates the annoyance well.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    It's funny how alike they all are. Most of them are clear scumbags and the rest are clearly dim.
    A lot of them are both!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Last one wasnt attended just by "knuckle draggers"

There was loads of familys there with kids whos businesses have been destroyed by these ridiculous lock downs.

It was a small percent that ruined it.

I hope theres a lot more there on St Patricks Day - and I hope it is a peaceful protest this time.

How long are they extending it by?

9 years.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    +1

These types of "protests" are attended by the likes of Gemma O Doherty and her ilk. Double digit IQ may be flattering as a label.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Last one wasnt attended just by "knuckle draggers"

There was loads of familys there with kids whos businesses have been destroyed by these ridiculous lock downs.

It was a small percent that ruined it.

I hope theres a lot more there on St Patricks Day - and I hope it is a peaceful protest this time.

The good old friend of the peaceful protest, the explosives launched at the police force.
    Bring back Robocop from the early 2000's protest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Any indication on hospitality opening? Easter is on the horizon. We are locked down long enough now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

There's great reason for hope. I hope that we can get through the winter without need to reimpose restrictions. This winter we were barely out of lockdown, let alone restrictions. Some restrictions would be a massive improvement if we could meet family and friends all winter.

But the chances of restrictions aren't like being hit by a bus or being struck by lightening - things that, strictly speaking, could happen but not worth considering seriously. Depending on how things go, there could be some restrictions needed in winter. We'll just have to wait and see.

It’s pointless comparing last winter to next winter. There were no vaccinations this winter. Apples oranges and all that. You missed my point about the bus, nothing is certain in life as you keep pointing out next winter.

Sure we could have restrictions next winter, but in my opinion going by research data etc i think it’s doubtful, not to the point it will affect a great deal of normality.

Any indication on hospitality opening? Easter is on the horizon. We are locked down long enough now.

Sharpy let me tell you the of the new world we live in.

Words to know: Cautious. Variants.

Experiences to remember: Christmas.

I think by mid August you should be able to eat outdoors. Welcome to Ireland, where we hand hold you to your safety from covid, and your bankruptcy.

Im not sure hospitality will open in 2021. The government just don’t want to say it as it would cause chaos.

But even hairdressers won’t open until May apparently. Retail maybe in June or so.

As we get closer to hospitality opening the narrative will change again to needing to get the schools back safely. And then caution over winter.

I imagine they are trying to think of ways to sell staycations without hospitality open.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Im not sure hospitality will open in 2021. The government just don’t want to say it as it would cause chaos.

I imagine they are trying to think of ways to sell staycations without hospitality open.

That should be an impossible task, staycations are dreadful anyway, take away the one things that dulls it all and makes it remotely passible (a decent pub or food place) and there's ****all chance to enjoy.

They simply can not expect people to want that, there should be squadrons of planes taking the population of this country to warmer more hospitality friendly locations i.e. ANYWHERE

Did ya make it to the last one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I don't think opening the economy will depend on number infected anymore. I think it will depend on number vaccinated.

If we got a large batch of vaccines next week, and managed to get all over 70's vaccinated by mid-April, it wouldn't really matter if we were still have 100-200 or even 300 new infections a day. We could happily open retail, hotels, restaurants and hairdressers on 1 May.

But given the slow pace of supply, it looks like we won't have over 70's done until mid/end May. That probably means that we won't have retail/restaurants/hotels open until after mid-summers day on 21 June. People will point to the fact that infections will be down into double digit figures by then, but that's not the real test and not the reason restrictions will be lifted. Even if we plateaued at 100-200 per day, the government would know from the age profile of infections that it is unlikely to have a large sweep of hospitalisations as the number of infections go up (inevitable if hospitality opens). Couple that with the North opening on 21 June I think it's highly unlikely we will see hospitality reopening postponed until the end of the summer.

DISCLAIMER: I cannot predict anything and nobody knows for certain what will happen in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭batman_oh

That should be an impossible task, staycations are dreadful anyway, take away the one things that dulls it all and makes it remotely passible (a decent pub or food place) and there's ****all chance to enjoy.

They simply can not expect people to want that, there should be squadrons of planes taking the population of this country to warmer more hospitality friendly locations i.e. ANYWHERE

I tried the staycation thing early last July and it was crap. Westport was a ghost town and we managed to get a restaurant for an hour and a half and then had nothing to do. On to Sligo where we couldn't get in to anything so ended up getting an hour and a half slot in the hotel bar. Absolutely pissing rain the hole time so couldn't do anything outdoors.
    Won't be doing that again unless there is a lot more open and more relaxation of restrictions.

I'm not sure that the Taoiseach or Tánaiste giving an interview to a national newspaper really counts as a leak. Seems more like a planned communication. So I think we can take them seriously. They'll be subject to change if the situation changes drastically for better or worse, but I think you could take them seriously as the current best estimate.

Ha, yes fair point, habit of saying leaks.

Have someone i know gettinh married mid august and is very hopeful of all being ok on d basis that england will be restriction free 2 months at this point surely we can have 100 people at our wedding that already been delayed a few times

I just dont see how we will move from cautiously opening retail shops where the number of people going in can be can controlled with masks, sanitizer etc as further requirements to mitigate risk sometime in June to yeah go on have a wedding live your lives again 2 months later.

If any business cant open in some capacity by June I hope protests happen on a mass scale with full on chaos(but as I've said before i wont be protesting, im fully paid WFH for now, i wont actually feel the economic affects for now, my misery be speread over many years of paying for all this i might not notice too much)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Sharpy let me tell you the of the new world we live in.

Words to know: Cautious. Variants.

Experiences to remember: Christmas.

I think by mid August you should be able to eat outdoors. Welcome to Ireland, where we hand hold you to your safety from covid, and your bankruptcy.

You're back. Was that you firing the rocket in the policeman's face at the Dublin riot?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The good old friend of the peaceful protest, the explosives launched at the police force.
    Bring back Robocop from the early 2000's protest.

And that lad deserves everything he gets for throwing the firework at the Garda. However citizens have a right to protest peacefully.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement