Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    You're back. Was that you firing the rocket in the policeman's face at the Dublin riot?

Dont think so. I just came back from Spain.

rocket into policeman's face? What is this Naples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dublin49

The Government need to be careful they don't "lose the dressing room " as happened with the water charges.If consensus disappears it aint coming back and they will have some job keeping order then .In reality the country told the Government to eff off re water charges and it could easily happen again.They told us to wait until the vaccines arrive and all will be ok,they cannot take that back now as it won't be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Sharpy let me tell you the of the new world we live in.

Words to know: Cautious. Variants.

Experiences to remember: Christmas.

I think by mid August you should be able to eat outdoors. Welcome to Ireland, where we hand hold you to your safety from covid, and your bankruptcy.

Where we save the dying from Covid, and let the young die on waiting lists.

https://www.thejournal.ie/hse-gynaecology-appointment-backlog-5372001-Mar2021/
    ‘Figures show more than 30,000 people waiting on HSE gynaecology outpatient appointments. The figures were released through a Parliamentary Question to Sinn Féin TD Sorcha Clarke, who said it is “beyond concerning” and “astonishingly dangerous” that 4,372 people have been waiting over 18 months for an outpatient appointment.’

Stay home, stay safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

JDD wrote: »
    I don't think opening the economy will depend on number infected anymore. I think it will depend on number vaccinated.

It appears that’s the thinking in the government. I believe they are extending restrictions to May( even though i thought it was going to be at least May for easing) due to possible temporary vaccine shortage. So it would seem they are basing restrictions on vaccines going forward. Which is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

dublin49 wrote: »
    The Government need to be careful they don't "lose the dressing room " as happened with the water charges.If consensus disappears it aint coming back and they will have some job keeping order then .In reality the country told the Government to eff off re water charges and it could easily happen again.They told us to wait until the vaccines arrive and all will be ok,they cannot take that back now as it won't be accepted.

This country is just as lazy and impotent as its government, if "the people" had any balls they would not be accepting this level of incompetence from their elected officials.

They deserve everything they get.

• Advertisement

MM told the Mirror that we’d be severely locked down until May. People freaked out so they made up a review date of April 5th.

Now they’re just more or less admitting that there isn’t really a review. Most things are set in stone regardless of numbers.

They’ll probably extend the 5Km as more and more people are breaking it now anyways.

MM told the Mirror that we’d be severely locked down until May. People freaked out so they made up a review date of April 5th.

Now they’re just more or less admitting that there isn’t really a review. Most things are set in stone regardless of numbers.

They’ll probably extend the 5Km as more and more people are breaking it now anyways.

Thats what I think too.

If 5km is increased to 10km or removed altogether you ll see tons of evictions setting off. They ll keep it but make it blatantly obvious that you can go well beyond 5km "unofficially".

I am being told by health gurus on this thread that if people move more than 5.1km from their home then cases grow exponentially. I think same gurus were watching netflix and eating dominos before March 2020 also ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭Allinall

Thats what I think too.

If 5km is increased to 10km or removed altogether you ll see tons of evictions setting off. They ll keep it but make it blatantly obvious that you can go well beyond 5km "unofficially".

I am being told by health gurus on this thread that if people move more than 5.1km from their home then cases grow exponentially. I think same gurus were watching netflix and eating dominos before March 2020 also ;)

Eh... not you're not.

EU approves single-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine
    Company to deliver 200m doses to EU with 600,000 to Ireland between April and June

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/eu-approves-single-shot-johnson-johnson-vaccine-1.4507473

GOOD news.

End is in sight. (end has begun couple of weeks ago for some though :pac:)

Well I suppose I have to report some bad news also, unlike RTE, G&L news Ltd is honest.

"Denmark suspends AstraZeneca Covid shots for two weeks after blood clot reports"

Denmark has put using AstraZeneca’s Covid-19 vaccine shots on hold for two weeks after reports of cases of blood clots forming, including one death in Denmark, Danish authorities said on Thursday.

They did not say how many reports of blood clots there had been, but Austria has stopped using a batch of AstraZeneca shots while investigating a death from coagulation disorders and an illness from a pulmonary embolism.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/denmark-suspends-astrazeneca-covid-shots-for-two-weeks-after-blood-clot-reports-1.4507557?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Fhealth-pharma%2Fdenmark-suspends-astrazeneca-covid-shots-for-two-weeks-after-blood-clot-reports-1.4507557

I think we are in the clear as Pfizer is our vaccine of choice.

Sometimes I feel like when I ask a question when will it all end, the only answer coming to mind is when Arsenal win the champions league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,083 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hellrazer wrote: »
    And that lad deserves everything he gets for throwing the firework at the Garda. However citizens have a right to protest peacefully.
    Not when its illegal to hold mass gatherings or travel more than 5km
    Protesting is not an essential journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

EU approves single-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine
    Company to deliver 200m doses to EU with 600,000 to Ireland between April and June

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/eu-approves-single-shot-johnson-johnson-vaccine-1.4507473

GOOD news.

End is in sight. (end has begun couple of weeks ago for some though :pac:)

Be great to get 600k shots by end of june, atound 13% of the population fully completed.

I would be exremely doubtful this will happen on schedule though, nothing to date so far leads me to believe these agreed supply targets will actually reach the EU in line with schedule

ELM327 wrote: »

Out of all things one can do in life protesting is very much 1 of the most essentials. If your children ask you what did you do during covid hysteria and you ll tell them "I was staying at home like a good boy eating Dominos and watching netflix", you will cease to be cool.

That is if you were cool in the first place.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Fair illustration of the hysteria surrounding the whole situation. Whatever about if some restrict will be needed this coming winter, all things going to plan, they won’t be needed any other winter. This idea that the Irish government has suddenly discovered its inner totalitarian, is silly. But if you enjoy the role playing, fair enough. Enjoy it.

As a matter of interest, to those who think their kind of thing is likely: have all the world’s governments suddenly turned despotic or is it just Ireland?

There's no excuse at this stage to keep extending these restrictions. Numbers are falling and more and more people are being vaccinated. We should be opening up. Instead he kicked the can down the road into the middle of Summer.

If these clowns don't want to called Totalitarian Tyrants then they should stop acting like tyrants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Be great to get 600k shots by end of june, atound 13% of the population fully completed.
    American government has banned the export of the vaccine.

It's also only 66% efficacy which, if we ever want to reach herd immunity, is not good when there are vaccines with 95% efficacy available.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

That all depends on whether the Health legislation overrides the constitutional rights of an individual to protest (or assembly as its written in the constitution)

Its kind of a grey area at the minute and needs some clarification.

It would probably be for a court to decide if someone was to challenge it.

That all depends on whether the Health legislation overrides the constitutional rights of an individual to protest (or assembly as its written in the constitution)

Its kind of a grey area at the minute and needs some clarification.

It would probably be for a court to decide if someone was to challenge it.
    There is no "grey area". If you are found more than 5km from your house you are breaking the law if you are not on essential trip (work, medical, childcare,shopping)

Out of all things one can do in life protesting is very much 1 of the most essentials. If your children ask you what did you do during covid hysteria and you ll tell them "I was staying at home like a good boy eating Dominos and watching netflix", you will cease to be cool.

That is if you were cool in the first place.

:p

I'm much too old at this stage to worry about being cool.
    Seems like it's quite high up the list of these "protesters" if we follow your analogy :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There is no "grey area". If you are found more than 5km from your house you are breaking the law if you are not on essential trip (work, medical, childcare,shopping)

I was going to do a 10km run this evening, 5k out and back, but I think I'll make it 11k instead in your honour.

I was going to do a 10km run this evening, 5k out and back, but I think I'll make it 11k instead in your honour.

I don't care what you do, I was merely stating what the law states.
    Enjoy your extra 1k :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Interesting how no one was saying this back in June

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thats your reading of it and it remains to be tested in court - btw Im not trying to argue with you Im just raising it as a genuine discussion - thats all.

I personally believe that there is a grey area - The ICCL have even requested clarification from the Justice Minister in relation to it only last week.

Can emergency legislation over ride a persons constitutional rights without a referendum?

And regarding all these all these fines that have been issued - what if someone took a case that it was against their constitutional right to travel for example?

Its an interesting thought and Im probably thinking too much into it!!!!

Interesting how no one was saying this back in June
    What was in June? The Burning Looting Mob protest? That should not have been allowed either.

But you know as well as I do, nothing stops a good old white knight superwoke parade. Covid doesnt attend. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That should be an impossible task, staycations are dreadful anyway, take away the one things that dulls it all and makes it remotely passible (a decent pub or food place) and there's ****all chance to enjoy.

They simply can not expect people to want that, there should be squadrons of planes taking the population of this country to warmer more hospitality friendly locations i.e. ANYWHERE

The article posted a few pages ago said they see domestic tourism being open in the summer. Tourism suggests actual touring domestically rather than staycation.

Thats your reading of it and it remains to be tested in court - btw Im not trying to argue with you Im just raising it as a genuine discussion - thats all.

I personally believe that there is a grey area - The ICCL have even requested clarification from the Justice Minister in relation to it only last week.

Can emergency legislation over ride a persons constitutional rights without a referendum?

And regarding all these all these fines that have been issued - what if someone took a case that it was against their constitutional right to travel for example?

Its an interesting thought and Im probably thinking too much into it!!!!

I think it's an interesting thought exercise for sure. It could be argued in normal time that it is an overreach of jurisdiction since the constitution has higher order of precedence compared to common law.

However, that argument is similar to arguing against blackout laws in WW2, or rationing laws, etc. If there were even a hint that it would be in breach of the constitution, the high court or SC would have heard the arguments of Gemma, Waters et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

When meeting a checkpoint, I just always say I'm going to my Mother's. Never asked another question after saying that. Majority of Gardai don't really care anymore.

If I was to somehow get a fine, I'd let it run it's course and go to court. Any decent solicitor will get it laughed out of a courtroom.

With all due respect, ELM327, there's loads of legal loopholes in these Covid19 "laws". You're not a legal professional so maybe stop posting in such a matter of fact style.

Whether you agree with them or not is of zero significance to their legality.

JDD wrote: »
    I don't think opening the economy will depend on number infected anymore. I think it will depend on number vaccinated.

If we got a large batch of vaccines next week, and managed to get all over 70's vaccinated by mid-April, it wouldn't really matter if we were still have 100-200 or even 300 new infections a day. We could happily open retail, hotels, restaurants and hairdressers on 1 May.

But given the slow pace of supply, it looks like we won't have over 70's done until mid/end May. That probably means that we won't have retail/restaurants/hotels open until after mid-summers day on 21 June. People will point to the fact that infections will be down into double digit figures by then, but that's not the real test and not the reason restrictions will be lifted. Even if we plateaued at 100-200 per day, the government would know from the age profile of infections that it is unlikely to have a large sweep of hospitalisations as the number of infections go up (inevitable if hospitality opens). Couple that with the North opening on 21 June I think it's highly unlikely we will see hospitality reopening postponed until the end of the summer.

DISCLAIMER: I cannot predict anything and nobody knows for certain what will happen in the future.

Yeah that sounds about rights as a general idea. It would take a bit longer to clear out the hospitals a bit though as they’re would even a lag from vaccination to a reduction in admissions due to vaccination. But if we could be pretty sure the hospitals are out of danger then that’s pretty much exactly what they’re doing. They’re looking at relaxing some restrictions on May. Hopefully that’s stays on track.

Lundstram wrote: »
    When meeting a checkpoint, I just always say I'm going to my Mother's. Never asked another question after saying that. Majority of Gardai don't really care anymore.

If I was to somehow get a fine, I'd let it run it's course and go to court. Any decent solicitor will get it laughed out of a courtroom.

With all due respect, ELM327, there's loads of legal loopholes in these Covid19 "laws". You're not a legal professional so maybe stop posting in such a matter of fact style.

Whether you agree with them or not is of zero significance to their legality.
    I never claimed to be a legal professional.

I also don't agree with the 5km lockdown and have said as much on this thread.

But the fact rremains that that is what the law is. If you're so sure it doesnt, why not hire a solicitor and counsel, and test it in the high court. Worked well for Gemma and Mr Waters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Advertisement

Even though I disagree with the aim of the protests at the moment, I don't disagree with them for doing it. The crowd isn't responsible for the guy with the firework. The fact that it was a mass gathering to protest the prohibition on mass gatherings, was ironic, and probably caused some additional transmissions, but that's the nature of protest.

If i were a Guard then it would be my job to deal with the protests. But I'm not so I don't take a strong positions on them but I generally wouldn't disagree with them for going doing the protest if that's what they want to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement