Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Scotty # wrote: »
    what makes you think they haven't?

I wouldve expected a flurry of posts from posters like yourself calling for their heads.

I havent seen any, did you post?

If you didnt post, I suppose cases havent sky rocketed "exponentially" and protests in fact have not caused any increase in new cases, which leads to the ultimate question of why not if theres a Nicaraguan variant according to Mehole and useless shi*e Donelly out there rampant keeping majority of the country sitting at home for months on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Something is just wrong. Even if you think lockdowns save many lives. How are we the only country in EU with construction mostly shut?

We got the youngest population like.

Are there other countries out there with as many restrictions as us and with as little idea as to when they ll be lifted?

At this stage you could say hairdressers will re open in April. or July. Like you really couldnt guess anymore correctly. or June or September.

Its just so much nonsense and waffle of "numbers are not where we want them to be" its unreal. And when you question this people refer you back to Christmas, like holy bible (pun), but back then A) we had no vaccines, B) it was much colder and C) it was a celebration and huge family gathering were expected.

PS funny how the recent protests havent caused any spikes in new cases huh? Incredible stuff. :rolleyes:

Even more funny if cases did go up protesters wouldve been blamed as enemy number 1. Seriously messed up.

the most infuriating thing are these alpha males going around newspapers and throwing their 50 cents interviews chatting shi*e like "we may re open that industry but very cautiously" and then 1 day later "we are unlikely to reopen anything until May" fkin infuriating.

Mention of waffling which this post is full of (no surprise there) any chance you might reply to the two questions that you were asked earlier and couldn`t be arsed (or could it be unable) responding to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I wouldve expected a flurry of posts from posters like yourself calling for their heads.
    These things aren't made public for months. The Galway students outing from last summer that infected 400 was only made public a couple of weeks ago.

These things aren't made public for months. The Galway students outing from last summer that infected 400 was only made public a couple of weeks ago.

New cases are made public every day. 6.01. tune in.

Words to remember: Concerned. Trajectory. Exponential. Cautious.

and ofcourse: Next two weeks are crucial.

• Site Banned Posts: 85 ✭✭jackryan34

Iceland, Denmark, and Norway have now all suspended Astrazeneca due to health fears.

This is not going to help with convincing the 'doubters' to take the vaccine and get us to herd immunity.

Honestly I am not anti vaxx, i've had many vaccines traveling the world but these vaccines are not approved, they are emergency approved, they all have side effects, any vaccine I have taken have been fully approved, not emergency.

If your young and healthy why would you risk the side effects?

The risk reward ratio just isn't there, Covid is just not that dangerous to young healthy people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

What questions were those, Kunt?

Be very careful with your name calling old buddy. You`re skating on very thin ice as your previous numerous bans prove.

Anyway here we go yet again:rolleyes:

Did you go to the last protest in Dublin? Considering all the crowing that you were doing about it beforehand you have been strangely silent about it since. .Could it be anything to do with the disgraceful actions carried out by a certain group of scrotes against the Gardai by any chance? After all you were cheerleading similar behaviour by other scrotes in Holland not too long ago. So what`s the story?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 I am tekashi 6ix9ine

Iceland, Denmark, and Norway have now all suspended Astrazeneca due to health fears.

This is not going to help with convincing the 'doubters' to take the vaccine and get us to herd immunity.

Would you not have doubts yourself now after 3 countries have suspended it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Dont think so. I just came back from Spain.

rocket into policeman's face? What is this Naples.

You said you were going to the Dublin riot. I guess you were just misspeaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Year in review

First we had “lower the curve” , then protect the elderly, protect the hospital system , save Christmas, protect the hospitals (again).
    NOW
    We have ....
    incoming ....
    “Protect the unborn”

Remember. Hold firm .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    You said you were going to the Dublin riot. I guess you were just misspeaking?

calling what happened in dublin that Saturday a riot shoes how quiet and docile ireland is. look at france and italy if you want to see a riot politicians here don't know they're born

• Advertisement

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0311/1203467-covid-19-figures/

Amazing that it took almost a year and only in Ireland for people to notice.

It really is. Approximate case numbers:

Ireland - 225,000
    USA - 29 million
    UK - 4.25 million
    France - 4 million
    Germany - 2.5 million

And almost every mention of "covid placentitis" you can fine in a search engine leads to an Irish publication and these same 4 stillbirth cases.

You could maybe understand that Germany, with only ten times our case numbers (!), might not have picked it up. But you would expect that the US, where a similar prevalence would have led to 500+ stillbirths, might have noticed something.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

New cases are made public every day. 6.01. tune in.

Words to remember: Concerned. Trajectory. Exponential. Cautious.

and ofcourse: Next two weeks are crucial.

Ah, looks like you play RTE Covid buzzword bingo too... :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

What’s the issue here? Should they not have researched it? Or should they not have publicised it?

Or are you suggesting it isn’t real and it’s part of a conspiracy?

Last week they were criticised in this thread for even mentioning it because it wasn’t confirmed yet. Now they’re being criticised for being the first in the world to confirm it.

Is it just because it’s news that you think doesn’t help your general anti-restrictions point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Other countries in the Baltic area followed the example too.

I heard an expert saying that due to the variants, the herd immunity could be reached by at least 80% of people vaccinated.
    Now, in my country at least 15% of people is under 18 years of age, plus, among adults, abut 20% stated they won't take the vaccine.
    This makes 32% people without vaccine. No herd immunity with these numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Sorry, double posting.

Sorry, double posting.

I looked it up for Ireland to see exactly what percentage of the populous population is under 18 and is ineligible for the vaccine at the moment. Turns out that 26% of the Irish population is under 18. And 21% is under 14.

So given that only 74% of the population is even eligible for the vaccine, and if we successfully vaccinate 80% of them before winter, then we’re actually at about 59% of total population. Herd immunity is actually very hard to achieve if we need 80% of total population. That pretty much involves being able to vaccinate everyone who wants one of all ages and including small children. It won’t happen by this winter but should be doable by winter 2022.

Question mark remain around this coming winter, unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Rubbish.

Seán Sabhat did not give his life alongside Fearghal Ó hAnnluain for the Irish People to be slaves.

Thank God they have brave patriots like you then, railing against the oppressive government diktats on your keyboard, a cool glass of Gatorade by your side; I am sure your heroes would be proud of your message board resistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I looked it up for Ireland to see exactly what percentage of the populous population is under 18 and is ineligible for the vaccine at the moment. Turns out that 26% of the Irish population is under 18. And 21% is under 14.

So given that only 74% of the population is even eligible for the vaccine, and if we successfully vaccinate 80% of them before winter, then we’re actually at about 59% of total population. Herd immunity is actually very hard to achieve if we need 80% of total population. That pretty much involves being able to vaccinate everyone who wants one of all ages and including small children. It won’t happen by this winter but should be doable by winter 2022.

Question mark remain around this coming winter, unfortunately

I'm amazed you haven't managed to burst that drum you've been banging , how long is it now a week?

I'm amazed you haven't managed to burst that drum you've been banging , how long is it now a week?

Much longer. It’s been true for much longer than a week.

Are you suggesting it’s not true or just don’t like hearing it? Plenty of posters saying things that you don’t take exception to.

In any case, I’m sure you’re grateful for the updated information re population and herd immunity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Much longer. It’s been true for much longer than a week.

Are you suggesting it’s not true or just don’t like hearing it? Plenty of posters saying things that you don’t take exception to.

True? Nah mate you're guessing like everyone else but I suspect you're at something else by the constant repetition.
    Plenty of posters offering their take but not with the same constant repetition as you. There's no new audience here . It's just circular now. Anyway time to unfollow this nonsense. Enjoy yourself.

Ah lads... Covid is harmless to the under 18s. Who cares if they are vaccinated or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Just another twenty weeks according to Mr Nolan in radio one just now ......

True? Nah mate you're guessing like everyone else but I suspect you're at something else by the constant repetition.
    Plenty of posters offering their take but not with the same constant repetition as you. There's no new audience here . It's just circular now. Anyway time to unfollow this nonsense. Enjoy yourself.

You must be mistaking me for someone else. I said this winter is uncertain re restrictions.

Oh the demographics bit is true. 26% under 18 and 21% under 14. That’s fact, according to the 2016 census. It’s also fact that under 18s are ineligible for the vaccine at the moment.

Ah lads... Covid is harmless to the under 18s. Who cares if they are vaccinated or not?

It’s not really about the under 18s getting sick. It’s about the effect that the vaccine has on reducing ability to catch and transmit covid. It’s the principle behind herd immunity. Without the under 18s herd immunity is impossible - according to the estimates of 70-80% of total population needed for herd immunity.

That’s why questions remain around next winter and whether we’ll need restrictions or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

You must be mistaking me for someone else. I said this winter is uncertain re restrictions.

Oh the demographics bit is true. 26% under 18 and 21% under 14. That’s fact, according to the 2016 census. It’s also fact that under 18s are ineligible for the vaccine at the moment.

We're also told they're not at danger from it, so why should we care if they're vaccinated or not.

titan18 wrote: »
    We're also told they're not at danger from it, so why should we care if they're vaccinated or not.

See the answer above. It’s about herd immunity.

Herd immunity was the gold standard but it’s gone out of fashion to talk about it because it won’t be achievable by next winter without the under 18s. That’s why there are questions around whether we’ll need restrictions next winter or not.

Once the vaccine is approved for everyone including small children, then it’ll be back to achieving herd immunity and things can really go back to normal without the same likelihood of needing restrictions in the following winters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Just another twenty weeks according to Mr Nolan in radio one just now ......

It really is time air time was removed from NPHET.

Throwing 20 weeks out in such a blaise way just shows these guys are not living in the real world. Its like its an academic exercise and he is reporting on his thesis.

Of course we did state on Newstalk--Government make the decisions, I'm sure his tongue was firmly in his cheek when he said it.

It’s not really about the under 18s getting sick. It’s about the effect that the vaccine has on reducing ability to catch and transmit covid. It’s the principle behind herd immunity. Without the under 18s herd immunity is impossible - according to the estimates of 70-80% of total population needed for herd immunity.

That’s why questions remain around next winter and whether we’ll need restrictions or not.

As long as the elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated it’s game, set and match.

We can’t afford to keep this nonsense going.

Hospitalisations and deaths will be on the ground once the over 60s are vaccinated. And that’s all that matters.

• Advertisement

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    You're back. Was that you firing the rocket in the policeman's face at the Dublin riot?
    Dont think so. I just came back from Spain.

rocket into policeman's face? What is this Naples.
    Be very careful with your name calling old buddy. You`re skating on very thin ice as your previous numerous bans prove.

Anyway here we go yet again:rolleyes:

Did you go to the last protest in Dublin? Considering all the crowing that you were doing about it beforehand you have been strangely silent about it since. .Could it be anything to do with the disgraceful actions carried out by a certain group of scrotes against the Gardai by any chance? After all you were cheerleading similar behaviour by other scrotes in Holland not too long ago. So what`s the story?

I did answer it.

It was very enjoyable, a good break. I recommend.

If you are interested in protests then paddys day is the day for you, next week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement