Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Lundstram wrote: »
    Anyone listening to the moaning windbag on Pat Kenny’s show? Poor woman is upset she can’t play a game of her beloved tennis. She misses a game of doubles with her partner and friends. My heart goes out to her.

Kenny humouring her of course.

Talk about out of touch with reality. People sitting at home jobless and this posh D4 queen wants her tennis back.

RTE should be utterly ashamed of their conduct during this pandemic.

Has Pat Kenny moved back to RTE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Scotty # wrote: »

Two cheeks of the same arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Vaccine doesnt stop you from getting covid.
    Micky 32 wrote: »
    It’s a known fact that 8 days isn’t enough for the vaccines to work. It becomes most effective after 21 days.
    Indeed. new evidence is showing you are actually TWICE AS LIKLEY TO CONTRACT THE VIRUS in the first 8-10 days. This is shocking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Game, set and match there. Nice one!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

A total of 1,000 staff – or one-third of the DAA’s Ireland-based workforce – will have left the semi-State airport company within the next few weeks as it cuts its workforce in the wake of the pandemic.

In a memo to staff today, DAA chief executive Dalton Philips said that 850 people have already left the business in Ireland. More will be leaving in coming weeks, he confirmed.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/daas-job-cull-in-ireland-to-hit-1000-but-pay-to-be-restored-40185490.html

Devastating. I tried my best supporting this crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Indeed. new evidence is showing you are actually TWICE AS LIKLEY TO CONTRACT THE VIRUS in the first 8-10 days. This is shocking!!

Wasn’t a lot of it due to people being complacent straight away after getting their jab? I wouldn’t call it shocking, it doesn’t seem to be a phenomenon reported in Ireland, vaccinated cohorts numbers reducing all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

My 79 yo mother received her first shot yesterday and she was giddy with excitement and relieve afterwards. Unfortunately, I had to rain on her parade and warned her to keep wearing her FFP2 mask and to keep her distance still, because she isn’t protected yet. She will have her second shot in early April, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
    She lives on her own in a big European city and uses public transport almost daily. I will be very relieved when she has more protection against this virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,809 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Anyone listening to the moaning windbag on Pat Kenny’s show? Poor woman is upset she can’t play a game of her beloved tennis. She misses a game of doubles with her partner and friends. My heart goes out to her.

Talk about out of touch with reality. People sitting at home jobless and this posh D4 queen wants her tennis back.

You want the pubs back. What's the difference?

Everyone has their routine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Nope. Wrong again. Different jurisdiction, different currency etc. BTW the officiall name of the city you referred to is Londonderry.
    Strange, because my official address is Derry, Co. Derry, Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

It was a discussion with a doctor, a hotel owner and a tennis club chairperson about re opening things in society. Even Dr. Lambert was stating sports need to re open and she was making the point that opening tennis is a safe outdoor activity.

You can disagree that its a safe activity but to just pluck one segment from the discussion is misleading.

We know businesses are closed but we have to get society reopened and the discussion was based on the "leak" in the independent this morning.

Are you in the camp that we open everything or open nothing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Strange, because my official address is Derry, Co. Derry, Ireland.

No it`s not official.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Nope. Wrong again. Different jurisdiction, different currency etc. BTW the officiall name of the city you referred to is Londonderry.

Seriously? In a covid thread.

You should set up a stall outside the guildhall with a placard stating this and see how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

As long as the elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated it’s game, set and match.

We can’t afford to keep this nonsense going.

Hospitalisations and deaths will be on the ground once the over 60s are vaccinated. And that’s all that matters.

It's funny to see how people react differently to different claims, based on whether they like the claim or not. If someone suggests that there is uncertainty around whether we'll need restrictions next winter or not, then they're told that nobody can know the future. But no such qualification is added when someone asserts certainty that they want to hear about how it's "game, set and match".

Vaccinating older and vulnerable people is important, but it's not game, set and match, or "end of" or any other declaration of certainly. The fact is that uncertainty remains over whether or not we'll need restrictions next winter.

Christ. I think the castors on the goalposts need to be replaced yet again.

We’ll be arguing about vaccinating household pets by the end of 2021.

Yeah the people who don't pay attention think the goalposts are moving al the time.

What did they think when they predicted herd immunity at 70-80%? with a population of 75% adults, it was never achievable without the under 18. But some people just don't want to think about it, so they make up their own version and then say the goalposts have shifted when they find out their invented version isn't real. .

W123-80's wrote: »
    He quoted factual figures relating to population numbers in Ireland.
    Then broke them down into percentages needing vaccinations in order to reach herd immunity (based on the 80% of population).

Now unless you have;
    a) Different figures for Ireland's population and breakdown of age-groups
    b) A new method for calculating percentages
    I would suggest that claiming he is guessing in his post is plain daft.
    The post in question literally deals in maths! I'm sure he used a calculator instead of guessing.

You made absolutely no attempt to deal with the content of the post. Just lazily claimed he was guessing numbers that can quite easily be calculated by anyone.

I mean, you're right. But isn't their post interesting in and of itself? They were faced with information they didn't want to think about , so they decided not to think about it and even said they were unfollowing the thread to avoid any other information they don't want to think about. If you look at it as a coping mechanism, it's very interesting.

I wonder if they'll agree that the goalposts are shifting when those facts about herd immunity become imminent?

Yep this is the reality and the poster isn’t able to grasp the concept. The poster is in denial that vaccines now exist because they keep trying to compare last winter( with no vaccines) with next winter (with vaccines), there’s an unhealthy obsession of restrictions for next winter.

The drop in disease with vaccinated HCW and elderly is dropping phenomenally already.

As Leo said himself vaccines prevent near 100% serious illness, hospitalizations and deaths.

Yesterday you were able to accept that there is uncertainty around whether there will be need for restrictions next winter, and now you agree that it's "game, set and match". What changed between yesterday and today? The facts certainly haven't changed.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,052 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Drop the politics

Posters are perfectly entitled to look at this from an all-Ireland perspective

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this post in-thread

I have a lot of family and friends up north, it is quite something to be seeing all the pictures coming through of them getting their vaccines and looking forward to the future.
    Unfortunately being on this thread you’ll be made sure to think you won’t have a future to look forward to. Lot of miserable people out there. But thankfully this thread won’t represent the future in real life. We now have lots to look forward to and by the end of the year we’ll be well on our way. ;)

We'll get there. There are naysayers out there but they're mostly just fanaticising about a despotic government takeover. We did about another 80,000 vaccinations in the last week - same as the week before. It's not fast enough, but it's all progress. They'll surely have offered a vaccine to all the adults who want them by the time winter arrives. That's the best we can do for the winter. The sooner we vaccinate people the better regarding reopening in the summer.

We're doing all we can for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i would imagine we wont see much actually opening now til late july , i think they will target august as the time for staycations. it looks like september before we have most adults vaccinated. i think may and june will be at least level 4 now with these delays. you would imagine hospitality will have to open in august for staycations so thats my guess at pubs/hotels opening. i would imagine they will open hotels and pubs altogehter as the food thing rule is now gone according to leo

ypres5 wrote: »
    Pedants care jac

Talking about herd immunity is pedantic now? Or using numbers to back up a point is pedantic? Either way, it's a weak point.

• Advertisement

Yesterday you were able to accept that there is uncertainty around whether there will be need for restrictions next winter, and now you agree that it's "game, set and match". What changed between yesterday and today? The facts certainly haven't changed.

Nothings changed, everyone knows uncertainty is a fact of life. I still think by end of year restrictions will be little or none. That’s my opinion and sticking to it.

Nothings changed, everyone knows uncertainty is a fact of life. I still think by end of year restrictions will be little or none. That’s my opinion and sticking to it.

That's your opinion and you're sticking to it.

I, on the other hand, will change my opinion as the facts change. I find it's a better approach

That's your opinion and you're sticking to it.

I, on the other hand, will change my opinion as the facts change. I find it's a better approach

We all change our opinions if the facts change. My opinion today is based on current info and data.

We all change our opinions if the facts change. My opinion today is based on current info and data.

Yeah. Sure it is.

Yesterday you though there was uncertainty, today you agree it's "game set and match", "end of". Unless some facts changed between yesterday and today, then you're making it up on the hoof.

I'll just deal with reality on reality's terms. The experts are telling us there is uncertainty around whether we'll need restrictions, the people making the decisions are telling us there is uncertainty around whether we'll need restrictions or not. and you think it's "game set and match", "end of". I think i have to side with the experts on this one.

Yeah. Sure it is.

Yesterday you though there was uncertainty, today you agree it's "game set and match". Unless some facts changed between yesterday and today, then you're making it up on the hoof.

Oh will you give over FFS. Firstly i never said “ game set and match” i never said or posted those words.

I’m sorry if you think we’ll be all restricted by the end of the year but you’re living in fantasy land. This can’t and won’t last, we’ll adapt.

To qoute Philip Nolan:

“” Prof Nolan said Ireland has had 52 weeks of living with the virus, but said with continued efforts, in 10 weeks' time Ireland will be in quite a different scenario and again 10 weeks after that. 

"In the grand scheme of things, it is a matter of weeks before we can do more things because of the progression of the vaccination [roll-out]," he said.“”

Restrictions will start to disappear during the course of this year. March 2021 vs December 2021 will be a totally different world.

Regarding your experts and uncertainty, it’s not a confirmation, it’s not definite they are not sure either ( despite being ‘experts’). My opinion is based on current data. If it holds true restrictions will be very unlikey going forward.

Oh will you give over FFS. Firstly i never said “ game set and match” i never said or posted those words.

I’m sorry if you think we’ll be all restricted by the end of the year but you’re living in fantasy land. This can’t and won’t last, we’ll adapt.

To qoute Philip Nolan:

“” Prof Nolan said Ireland has had 52 weeks of living with the virus, but said with continued efforts, in 10 weeks' time Ireland will be in quite a different scenario and again 10 weeks after that. 

"In the grand scheme of things, it is a matter of weeks before we can do more things because of the progression of the vaccination [roll-out]," he said.“”

Restrictions will start to disappear during the course of this year. March 2021 vs December 2021 will be a totally different world.

The first 2 lines of your post have errors that suggest you haven't read the posts at all. I said you agreed it's game set and match, which you did a few posts ago. I also haven't said i think we will be in restrictions in winter. I'm pretty sure I've been careful to say that there is uncertainly around whether we will need restrictions in winter or not. Have you been taking that to mean I think we will have restrictions next winter?

Have you been taking that to mean I think we will have restrictions next winter?

Once again, In my opinion unlikely. The end is nigh :p

The first 2 lines of your post have errors that suggest you haven't read the posts at all.

If that’s true it’s probably because the same repeating waffle bores me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Cant. I am going to a protest at St Green at 2 O clock on a Saturday.

One of those where you want to do something and then you cant, I have freedoms to protest for.

You haven't explained to me at all why you stated you were going to the protest but went to Italy instead. I must assume you are some sort of cowardly demagogue, spinning lies and goading vulnerable people into violent actions.

It's reprehensible behaviour IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

El duderino and the Micky. Maybe you two need to get a room?

• Advertisement

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    El duderino and the Micky. Maybe you two need to get a room?

Thanks for the suggestion, but no thanks :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement