Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

The treatments are available they've been granted under emergency use just not in Europe, America has it's orders in.
    The vaccines are still in trial as well even the ones we are using. No long term study on the effects can even be started yet.
    I'd like the media to mention something besides vaccines, we had Leo mention the Merck pill in January and not a peep since, our media didn't even pick up on it and completely ignored the Asthma inhaler from AstraZeneca, it's infuriating at this stage to see such blissful ignorance. What health advice have NPHET provided besides stay at home and don't drink as we all know the virus loves it.
    I don't know any county that has had an 80% vaccine uptake and to hear that normal isn't anywhere in sight until we hit that figure is crazy talk, it can't be achieved.
    What we think now will all be wrong in 6mts time..

The vaccines have been approved. They're not at trial stages. The treatments you are talking about are either at trial stages or hasn't been approved in Europe yet so they aren't options and can't have an influence on the opening of the country.
    If you're not going to come up with anything credible I don't see any point in continuing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Scotty # wrote: »
    Exports to EU down 40% in January alone!!! You're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think Brexit has been good for the UK.

two quotes from the article you linked:

Experts said the scale of the decline in January trade was unlikely to be permanent because there was evidence companies stockpiled goods before the Brexit deadline, meaning they would not need to send as many shipments as usual in January.

And

Frost, who was elevated last month to become the cabinet minister responsible for Britain’s relationship with the EU, said these effects were now “starting to unwind” and that overall freight volumes had been “back to their normal levels for over a month now”.

it normally helps if you read more than just the headlines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

ypres5 wrote: »
    two quotes from the article you linked:
    Frost, who was elevated last month to become the cabinet minister responsible for Britain’s relationship with the EU, said ...
    Pro brexit minister puts positive spin on 40% drop in exports... SHOCKER!!

Vaccines aside (the only thing since covid broke that the UK got right, after their disastrous initial response), Brexit has been and continues to be a disaster for all involved.

Pro brexit minister puts positive spin on 40% drop in exports... SHOCKER!!

Vaccines aside (the only thing since covid broke that the UK got right, after their disastrous initial response), Brexit has been and continues to be a disaster for all involved.

what about the experts mentioned in the first paragraph? just admit you couldn't be arsed to read the article

what about the experts mentioned in the first paragraph?

First pararaph?
    UK exports of goods to the EU plunged by 40.7% in January as the first month since Brexit and the imposition of a new Covid lockdown resulted in the biggest monthly decline in British trade for more than 20 years.
    No experts mentioned.

None in second either...
    In the first month since leaving the EU on terms agreed by Boris Johnson’s government, the Office for National Statistics said goods exports to the bloc fell by £5.6bn, while imports fell by 28.8%, or £6.6bn.

...but you keep waving your little Union Jack there like a good lad.

• Advertisement

First pararaph?

No experts mentioned.

None in second either...

...but you keep waving your little Union Jack there like a good lad.

this paragraph from the article, I never realized reading comprehension was waving a union jack

Experts said the scale of the decline in January trade was unlikely to be permanent because there was evidence companies stockpiled goods before the Brexit deadline, meaning they would not need to send as many shipments as usual in January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Wasn't it 70% of hospital admissions were obese according to the CDC.
    We're going to lose more people to heart disease and diabetes as a result of these lockdowns than we could have ever saved from Covid.
    Staying at home is not a plan, get outside, exercise, scrap the county and 5km limit immediately it's stupid where outdoor activities are concerned.

I don’t know about the 70% obesity hospital admissions stat. Where did you read about that?

The issue of exercise in lockdown is interesting. People can exercise within 5km of their house. They can exercise inside their house with all the free exercise videos available.

In a passive way, people would obviously exercise more without restrictions. But if people want to exercise within 5km of their house, they’ll have no problem doing it.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    A good Saturday afternoon waffle. You seem to really have a bee in your bonnet regarding people who think and hope restrictions end. Does it upset you because that view threathens your future world of restrictions or incase you’re proved wrong? Why do you keep repeating the same posts over and over and over and over? :rolleyes:

Just incase your post reffers to me i’ll explain something to you. I’m well aware and so are a lot of people of the uncertainties. Sure you might get your restrictions next winter, of course that’s possible who knows you might be right and then you can carry on with your smugness if you’re right.

However going by all the recent data, these vaccines are amazing ( and will only get better)and in my opinion i don’t think we’ll have restrictions come next winter, i think it’s unlikely ( or at least to the point it affecting normality too much). The end is coming. It’s just an opinion of course it and doesn’t mean i’m right :p

Did you mean to quote me for that post? You didn’t represent any of my opinions in those assumptions.

this paragraph from the article, I never realized reading comprehension was waving a union jack

Experts said the scale of the decline in January trade was unlikely to be permanent because there was evidence companies stockpiled goods before the Brexit deadline, meaning they would not need to send as many shipments as usual in January
    No, I don't believe it will be that low going forward either. But they're certainly not better off post Brexit than they were pre Brexit. Neither are we. It's very bad for us too. It's just not so apparent yet as Covid is screwing up the numbers.

As regards the vaccines, Brexit has been hugely beneficial to the UK but for everything else it hasn't.

RGS wrote: »
    So we pay 15 cabinet ministers, at least 15 advisors, we appointed 40 members to NPHET at a cost of roughly 9 million euro and a year later they cant analyze data and create a plan out of this. This is not acceptable to me or a number of other posters. If you think is an acceptable situation then I think we as a country are in real trouble.

They could throw out a few numbers or dates if that’s what you want. But at the moment they don’t have the data to make a reliable and valid plan.

I’m not sure if people would care if the plan is valid or not. Some people just want to hear a plan and some numbers. Maybe any old numbers would do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

They could throw out a few numbers or dates if that’s what you want. But at the moment they don’t have the data to make a reliable and valid plan.

I’m not sure if people would care if the plan is valid or not. Some people just want to hear a plan and some numbers. Maybe any old numbers would do.

How about we get a daily updates on the vaccine situation instead of the daily sh1tfest of case numbers which are largely irrelevant considering we were told all that matters is hospital numbers.

Some clarity on vaccine numbers, delivery dates and data would be nice.

By all means release case and death numbers daily but we don't need to be lectured like little kids every day by people earning 6 figure salaries - Glynn, Hoolahan, Reid etc.

We seem to thrive on misery in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

aido79 wrote: »
    The vaccines have been approved. They're not at trial stages. The treatments you are talking about are either at trial stages or hasn't been approved in Europe yet so they aren't options and can't have an influence on the opening of the country.
    If you're not going to come up with anything credible I don't see any point in continuing this.

The vaccines have not been "approved" by the FDA or EMA; they've been been "authorised" for emergency use which is quite different. And yes, the current rollout and the data obtained from it is considered part of the trial process. This information is so ubiquitous I'm not going to bother linking...

Lundstram wrote: »
    How about we get a daily updates on the vaccine situation instead of the daily sh1tfest of case numbers which are largely irrelevant considering we were told all that matters is hospital numbers.

By all means release case and death numbers daily but we don't need to be lectured like little kids every day by people earning 6 figure salaries - Glynn, Hoolahan, Reid etc.

If they gave a daily update on vaccines administered, first or second dose, vaccine brand used. Is that the kind of thing you mean?

It is abuse and we are being held hostage.

Hardly. I'm sure I heard on the Tonight Show during the week that several thousand (11k ?) left Ireland last week for holidays. Sure wasn't Ginger/ypres or someone in Spain?

I was out and about in Drogheda this morning. If you did't know better you'd never guess there was a lockdown in place. All the retail parks opened and busy. Coffee shops and cafe's in the town open and buzzin'. Traffic very busy.

I live next to Brú na Bóinne and the place is chockers from sunrise to sunset every day. Lots of mates meeting up for a walk or run.

Yes, absolutely for some people it is a struggle but the vast majority I think are taking it in their stride.

Lundstram wrote: »

But these numbers are given every day. It's your news source that's only relaying case numbers if that's all you hearing. Change your news source.

Vaccine info here > https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/vaccinations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,283 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I don’t know about the 70% obesity hospital admissions stat. Where did you read about that?

The issue of exercise in lockdown is interesting. People can exercise within 5km of their house. They can exercise inside their house with all the free exercise videos available.

In a passive way, people would obviously exercise more without restrictions. But if people want to exercise within 5km of their house, they’ll have no problem doing it.

Sorry it was 78% I posted it the other day. NPHET must have similar data at their fingertips, why don't they just come out and say exactly who is at risk.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/08/covid-cdc-study-finds-roughly-78percent-of-people-hospitalized-were-overweight-or-obese.html

The 5km is stupid and not based on any science as admitted by NPHET themselves. Stop excusing the madness. The Government know the majority aren't putting any notice of the 5km limit they're just keeping it in place as some listening to it is better than nobody in their eyes.

Sorry it was 78% I posted it the other day. NPHET must have similar data at their fingertips, why don't they just come out and say exactly who is at risk.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/08/covid-cdc-study-finds-roughly-78percent-of-people-hospitalized-were-overweight-or-obese.html

The 5km is stupid and not based on any science as admitted by NPHET themselves. Stop excusing the madness. The Government know the majority aren't putting any notice of the 5km limit they're just keeping it in place as some listening to it is better than nobody in their eyes.

I don’t know why they don’t talk more about obesity being a risk factor. They should.

I didn’t defend the 5km restriction. I said that if people want to exercise within 5km of their house (or inside their house) they can do so, no bother. And for free. And that’s just true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

It's getting tedious discussing this with you. Everyone of us posters who think a better plan can be produced are wrong.

The experts in government and NPHET are right because they cant analyze and create a plan other than lockdown and vaccinate. If that fails continue the lockdown.
    And we pay 9 million euro for that crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I don’t know why they don’t talk more about obesity being a risk factor. They should.

I didn’t defend the 5km restriction. I said that if people want to exercise within 5km of their house (or inside their house) they can do so, no bother. And for free. And that’s just true

Yes your right people can exercise for free but need to consider the reality of the situation. Lots of people are not interested in going for a walk/jog within the same 5km day in day out as mentally it does nothing for them and its hard to enjoy doing a workout in the sitting room to some video. Are those options a real replacement for the Five a side games, GAA, Tennis, Golf, Hiking, sea swimming, the local Zumba class etc.... The answer is no and many I know are quite simply getting unfit.
    Personally I still go for a jog a few days a week but by God I'm bored off my tits doing the same streets on my own.

Yes your right people can exercise for free but need to consider the reality of the situation. Lots of people are not interested in going for a walk/jog within the same 5km day in day out as mentally it does nothing for them and its hard to enjoy doing a workout in the sitting room to some video. Are those options a real replacement for the Five a side games, GAA, Tennis, Golf, Hiking, sea swimming, the local Zumba class etc.... The answer is no and many I know are quite simply getting unfit.
    Personally I still go for a jog a few days a week but by God I'm bored off my tits doing the same streets on my own.

Yeah I’d agree. I said in the previous post that passively people would be more likely to exercise without the 5km restriction. But if they actively want to exercise then we can do it - for free.

• Advertisement

RGS wrote: »
    The experts in government and NPHET are right because they cant analyze and create a plan other than lockdown and vaccinate. If that fails continue the lockdown.
    And we pay 9 million euro for that crap.
    It's only 6 weeks since we had the highest infection rate in the world. Easing out of that is going to be slow and steady.

In an ever evolving situation as we are in now, plans are pretty pointless. We tried that the first lockdown.... "pubs will be open in three weeks", "pubs will be open in three more weeks", "just three more weeks and pubs will be open". The UK have already made arrangements for extending their restriction. They always knew the dates they posted were best case scenario and would almost certainly see some delays.

Yes, plans satisfy some people, but then we you have to delay them, as you inevitably do, you're the worst in the world. I'd love to see a timeline for getting out of lockdown, but I understand why they're reluctant to publish one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Yes, plans satisfy some people, but then we you have to delay them, as you inevitably do, you're the worst in the world. I'd love to see a timeline for getting out of lockdown, but I understand why they're reluctant to publish one.
    However we did not see this translate into deaths in the weeks following as one might expect. There was an increase, but it was nowhere near as much as might have been predicted. This suggests to me that the "worst in the world" infections might have been partly an artifact of testing policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Healthy people are no threat, even if you want to start on about the asymptomatic, people know at this stage not to lick their fingers and keep a safe distance from strangers indoors.
    Personal responsibility for yourself should be the order of the day like it has been for millennia. Follow the basics, safe distance, wash your hands. Get on with your life.

Man, I seriously admire you keep trying, but you haven't got a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

sabat wrote: »
    The vaccines have not been "approved" by the FDA or EMA; they've been been "authorised" for emergency use which is quite different. And yes, the current rollout and the data obtained from it is considered part of the trial process. This information is so ubiquitous I'm not going to bother linking...

Feel free to explain the difference. I believe the trial process is complete but again feel free to prove me wrong.

aido79 wrote: »
    Feel free to explain the difference. I believe the trial process is complete but again feel free to prove me wrong.
    Within the EU the vaccines have been given Conditional Marketing Authorisation which is not the same as a proper authorisation. It basically means the pro's just about outweigh the con's.
    The approval of a medicine that addresses unmet medical needs of patients on the basis of less comprehensive data than normally required.
    The available data must indicate that the medicine’s benefits outweigh its risks and the applicant should be in a position to provide the comprehensive clinical data in the future.

However we did not see this translate into deaths in the weeks following as one might expect. There was an increase, but it was nowhere near as much as might have been predicted. This suggests to me that the "worst in the world" infections might have been partly an artifact of testing policy.

Deaths are being reported a month later so we probably did see a bigger spike in deaths than it originally seemed.

Deaths went from 4 per day Christmas week to +90 per day by end of January. How high were we expecting?

Abysmal numbers this week.

Just 1% drop in the 7-day average from last Saturday to today.

We need to either enforce lockdown more or introduce more restrictions if we are to have any hope of easing restrictions this side of 2022.

Date|7Day Avg.|Change
    02/01/2021|1,647|
    09/01/2021|6,257|-280%
    16/01/2021|4,150|34%
    23/01/2021|2,343|44%
    30/01/2021|1,303|44%
    06/02/2021|1,035|21%
    13/02/2021|893|14%
    20/02/2021|797|11%
    27/02/2021|657|18%
    06/03/2021|531|19%
    13/03/2021|526|1%

• Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Abysmal numbers this week.

Just 1% drop in the 7-day average from last Saturday to today.

We need to either enforce lockdown more or introduce more restrictions if we are to have any hope of easing restrictions this side of 2022.

Date|7Day Avg.|Change
    02/01/2021|1,647|
    09/01/2021|6,257|-280%
    16/01/2021|4,150|34%
    23/01/2021|2,343|44%
    30/01/2021|1,303|44%
    06/02/2021|1,035|21%
    13/02/2021|893|14%
    20/02/2021|797|11%
    27/02/2021|657|18%
    06/03/2021|531|19%
    13/03/2021|526|1%

Hardly abysmal

9000 cases per day in January, now that was abysmal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Deaths went from 4 per day Christmas week to +90 per day by end of January. How high were we expecting?
    Sure and every death is a tragedy. However other countries over the same period had much higher peak deaths.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement