Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

Doom and gloom, doom and gloom, doom and gloom. That post was all OTT doom and gloom.

Things are getting better, we’re moving out of the covid season, weather is getting warmer, restrictions will be loosened in the coming months, vaccine is being rolled out to adults. Cop yourself on.

I don’t care if it sounds like doom and gloom.
    We have being in lockdown for almost half a year apart from some slight relaxations over Christmas.

Philip Nolan said yesterday just another 20 weeks.

MM has more or less confirmed already that nothing major is changing on Apr 5th.

And now we have suspended a vaccine when we are already going desperately slow compared to our neighbours on either side.

There is nothing to be positive about right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    I think ill move to Northern Ireland for awhile. Jesus I never thought I'd say that.

It’s not that bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Parachutes wrote: »
    They are in love with the "new normal" and are drunk on power. Will never want to see this end.

Plus throughout all of this Michael Martin has had all the power of being Taoiesach with none of the responsibilities since Holohan and NPHET are running the Country. Gee. I wonder why martin is happy enough to keep kicking this can down the road until Dec of 2022 when it will be Varadkar's problem again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Nphets days are numbered.

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I'm extremely fed up with this as well and disagree with plenty of NPHET's decisions but I seriously doubt they're extending this for as long as possible or enjoying it. They're conservative and cautious, nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

I'm extremely fed up with this as well and disagree with plenty of NPHET's decisions but I seriously doubt they're extending this for as long as possible or enjoying it. They're conservative and cautious, nothing more.

Exactly, it's not their fault. Their job is to be cautious.

It's the governments fault for not adding any nuance to the discussion and actually leading.

Parachutes wrote: »
    They are in love with the "new normal" and are drunk on power. Will never want to see this end.

What absolute rubbish.
    Anyone who believes that there are powers in this country who want a never ending lockdown need to get themselves over to the conspiracy forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I think people who are saying that goverment/nphet are loving this and are on a power trip etc are getting carried away wit their frustration.

Thats not saying I agree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

i do think they're starting to enjoy their position of influence a bit too much. they know at this point that the government aren't going to go against them ever again nphet de facto set the agenda

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Care to elaborate?

As much as you might like the daily briefings and the power control they have their days are numbered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

Because they are terrified of doing anything or making any decision. If the government thought they could get away with it, they’d lockdown for all of 2021 at least.

In fact, I’d be surprised if hospitality opens at all this year. There will always be excuses. New variant, vaccine delay, vaccine issue, need to prioritise schools, caution over winter etc

Ultimately it’s easier to force thousands out of work and into poverty and subject the country to inhumane lockdowns that are no longer effective.

Lockdowns are only enforceable whilst there is obedience by the general public. As we have seen in the past few weeks that is starting to wane. Eventually it will get to a stage where imposing restrictions will be futile. Also, money funding the supports will dry up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

I don’t care if it sounds like doom and gloom.
    We have being in lockdown for almost half a year apart from some slight relaxations over Christmas.

Philip Nolan said yesterday just another 20 weeks.

MM has more or less confirmed already that nothing major is changing on Apr 5th.

And now we have suspended a vaccine when we are already going desperately slow compared to our neighbours on either side.

There is nothing to be positive about right now.

They can go **** themselves if they think we're going to lockdown all Summer. Maybe get some freedom in Sept and then throw us back into lockdown again in Winter and we're here this time next year wonder when they'll finally let us out.

Thank God I've been emailing my CVs abroad. I'm refuse to work until I drop dead to pay for this nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    They can go **** themselves if they think we're going to lockdown all Summer. Maybe get some freedom in Sept and then throw us back into lockdown again in Winter and we're here this time next year wonder when they'll finally let us out.

Thank God I've been emailing my CVs abroad. I'm refuse to work until I drop dead to pay for this nonsense.

Other countries are in lockdown too, not just ireland.

Other countries are also paying for it and economies in trouble and will need to be paid back too. So don't really see what you're trying to prove there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,653 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Looking like if you want to see a gig or match it's over to the UK

Other countries are also paying for it and economies in trouble and will need to be paid back too. So don't really see what you're trying to prove there

You've missed the point. It's the harshness and sheer length of time we've been in lockdown relative to the rest of Europe. It's also the nonsensical elements of our lockdown.

Lockdowns are fine and work when used correctly, not when you operate with them as your plan A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭KaneToad

ypres5 wrote: »
    i do think they're starting to enjoy their position of influence a bit too much. they know at this point that the government aren't going to go against them ever again nphet de facto set the agenda

I disagree. They all have very well paid 'normal' jobs which are far less stressful. They have nothing to gain by the existence of NPHET. Unless they are sociopaths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Monster249 wrote: »
    Lockdowns are fine and work when used correctly
    They are never fine. There is no "correct" usage of totalitarian social control measures. These are extremely serious crimes against the Irish People.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

He’s thinking of the United States like some others including myself if the situation doesn’t improve here by the end of the year. Total different kettle of fish especially once the masses are vaccinated over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

You've missed the point. It's the harshness and sheer length of time we've been in lockdown relative to the rest of Europe. It's also the nonsensical elements of our lockdown.

Lockdowns are fine and work when used correctly, not when you operate with them as your plan A.

I don't disagree with getting out of ireland, don't get me wrong, I moved out of Ireland at the beginning of this year but have a better reason to leave ireland than the extremity of a lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

You've missed the point. It's the harshness and sheer length of time we've been in lockdown relative to the rest of Europe.

In mid January we had the highest infection rate in the world. Is it not expected then that we would have the harshest restrictions afterwards?

At least our number are going in the right direction. For 31 out of 40 countries in Europe their numbers have risen over the last 4 weeks.

• Advertisement

Risteard81 wrote: »
    They are never fine. There is no "correct" usage of totalitarian social control measures. These are extremely serious crimes against the Irish People.

Yes I'd tend to agree but I can understand their usage in moderation, they do work and they do protect people.

The problem is when that's their ONLY plan and have nothing else to offer to even attempt to save the economy and the livelyhoods of millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Looking like if you want to see a gig or match it's over to the UK

Agreed, and the same for a cheap break weekend away type thing too.

They're MILES ahead

Micky 32 wrote: »
    He’s thinking of the United States like some others including myself if the situation doesn’t improve here by the end of the year. Total different kettle of fish especially once the masses are vaccinated over there.

See above, I agree but it's a big move to base just on the lockdown.

I'm in North America now since January myself but had it planned before Covid-19 was even in existence.

Scotty # wrote: »
    In mid January we had the highest infection rate in the world. Is it not expected then that we would have the harshest restrictions afterwards?

At least our number are going in the right direction. For 31 out of 40 countries in Europe their numbers have risen over the last 4 weeks.

We had that because the public were locked up for months prior to Christmas without good reason, what happens when you open the floodgates?

And that's what I'm saying, I'm not saying lockdown after Xmas was the wrong thing to do, it wasn't, I'm saying it was wrong before Christmas. It's also wrong right now for us to still be at this level of restrictions and it's categorically insane for us to be at level 5 post-April.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Risteard81 wrote: »

Jaysus could you be anymore dramatic? Lockdowns arent ideal but the virus doesnt give a damn if they are or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

See above, I agree but it's a big move to base just on the lockdown.

Temporary lockdown i agree but if this is going to keep continuing despite post vaccination in Ireland i can understand why people would want to do it.

I’m in a great position to do it but i’ll only do it if things never improve here though especially if casual travel never resumes between here and the States, as i have family there. However i still believe Ireland will be a far better place by end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,653 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Agreed, and the same for a cheap break weekend away type thing too.

They're MILES ahead

Yeah have tickets to see both Genesis and Elton John in the 3Arena for September and December respectively with both having dates in Arenas all over the UK

The Dublin dates can easily be canned like the Euro 20/21 games with the UK dates going on as planned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

KaneToad wrote: »
    I disagree. They all have very well paid 'normal' jobs which are far less stressful. They have nothing to gain by the existence of NPHET. Unless they are sociopaths

They need lockdown of some sort for few months to keep health system from collapsing.

They are covering up their mismanagement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

KaneToad wrote: »

i honestly don't see where the stress is for them theres no bit of planning or nuance from them other than level 5 and inshallah and they certainly don't face any scrutiny from the press and government who seem to have been reduced to their puppets bar the odd dissenting voice

• Advertisement

Do some people think they are not going to ease the restrictions on April 5 like they’ve said they would. Just getting that feeling from some of the posts here. Hope I’m wrong this whole thing is just getting tired now and a bit of certainty is needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement