Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Ah lads... Covid is harmless to the under 18s. Who cares if they are vaccinated or not?

This is false information. There are under 18s that have been severely ill. Lots of under 18s experiencing long COVID symptoms. What the long term effects are who knows. Keep your kids safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don’t care if it sounds like doom and gloom.
    We have being in lockdown for almost half a year apart from some slight relaxations over Christmas.

Philip Nolan said yesterday just another 20 weeks.

MM has more or less confirmed already that nothing major is changing on Apr 5th.

And now we have suspended a vaccine when we are already going desperately slow compared to our neighbours on either side.

There is nothing to be positive about right now.

There’s nothing to be positive about right now? That might be reflective of your a state of mind, but it’s not reality.

Anyone who agrees with that post can give up complaining about RTE or MM or NPHET or anyone else and calling them doom and gloom, can remember that they thanked the naked doom and gloom in the post above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

gansi wrote: »
    Do some people think they are not going to ease the restrictions on April 5 like they’ve said they would.

They will do what they have done from the start: nothing.

No decisions made, no risks taken, just ignore the hundreds of thousands of people suffering and kick the can down the road instead.

The minor concerns about astra zenaca gives them the only excuse they need to do nothing, they will latch onto it and use it to justify the fact they are rabbits in the headlights.

It's a year in and a cardboard cut-out of mehole would have achieved as much in the last year as the real thing did. They are a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

gansi wrote:
    Do some people think they are not going to ease the restrictions on April 5 like they’ve said they would. Just getting that feeling from some of the posts here. Hope I’m wrong this whole thing is just getting tired now and a bit of certainty is needed.

If the numbers go down then they'll ease some restrictions, easing them in the face of increasing numbers would be madness. Unfortunately, a certain laxity has crept in and numbers are not going down as they were.

This is false information. There are under 18s that have been severely ill. Lots of under 18s experiencing long COVID symptoms. What the long term effects are who knows. Keep your kids safe.

Exactly. And these young people, thousands of them, may experience these symptoms for a very long time

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/long-covid-in-children-new-data-is-cause-for-concern-scientists-say-1.4500084

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I think people need to realize that the Covid will be around for the rest of our lives, we really should just get on with life at the stage and whatever happens will happen

Very simply, there are always going to be issues with vaccines not being 100% protection against the virus, different people different reactions etc.

Another issue I see today is the latest vaccine has been suspended

Which leads me on to the next issue, a lot of people won't par take in getting the vaccine. They'll give 100 reasons and fine for them but until every person on the planet is vaccinated with a vaccine that is 100% against the virus then you can forget it. It won't happen

So I do really think, vaccinate as many as possible but open it up again after it and just move on with life. Otherwise we will be spending the rest of our days in lockdown

Sure a lot of people will get sick and a lot more will die, but if that has to happen then so be it to get over it all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭themacattack.

gansi wrote: »
    Do some people think they are not going to ease the restrictions on April 5 like they’ve said they would. Just getting that feeling from some of the posts here. Hope I’m wrong this whole thing is just getting tired now and a bit of certainty is needed.

honestly i cant see much being lifted...construction is even a maybe i think with the government/nphets ultra conservative "plan"....never ever should have been shut...people should do what they can for their own mental health...i certainly would not be abiding by the 5k for exercise rule or denying myself the visit of any family members after 12 months of lockdown failure for starters...

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

If the numbers go down then they'll ease some restrictions, easing them in the face of increasing numbers would be madness. Unfortunately, a certain laxity has crept in and numbers are not going down as they were.

Exactly. And these young people, thousands of them, may experience these symptoms for a very long time

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/long-covid-in-children-new-data-is-cause-for-concern-scientists-say-1.4500084

The laxity is down to lockdown fatigue, people are ****ed off with this and will consistently be breaking the "rules"... Ireland needs to be able to respond to this and ease the lockdown to align with the people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

We haven't been told to open up by the EU and nor has there been a credit crunch forcing us lift restrictions to get some economic activity going. Therefore there is no political risk to keeping the lockdown going.

If we paid 10x the price for a vaccine it still wouldn't cost as much as we're spending on the PUP alone for a single week.
    That's the nonsense we're dealing with. "Stay strong", "work together", ****ing nonsense. We (and Europe) are shuffling paper around, twiddling thumbs and doing our best to create work rather than just getting a ****ing move on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

They need lockdown of some sort for few months to keep health system from collapsing.

They are covering up their mismanagement.

good point thats lost on people -the reason why we are in continuing level 5 lockdown is due to the state of our 3rd world health system most people dont get that,pathetic mismangement for decades,still using pen and paper instead of systems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,653 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah us the general public have no control over the health system and can do SFA to improve it that's the governments job

Sure the point of lockdown is to get the health system in order but here it's just blame the public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

good point thats lost on people -the reason why we are in continuing level 5 lockdown is due to the state of our 3rd world health system most people dont get that,pathetic mismangement for decades,still using pen and paper instead of systems

And what have they done about it in the past 12 months?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

And what have they done about it in the past 12 months?

nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If we paid 10x the price for a vaccine it still wouldn't cost as much as we're spending on the PUP alone for a single week.
    That's the nonsense we're dealing with. "Stay strong", "work together", ****ing nonsense. We (and Europe) are shuffling paper around, twiddling thumbs and doing our best to create work rather than just getting a ****ing move on.

Where do you factor in the fact that Ireland is in the top 10% of the world for vaccination rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

I think people who are saying that goverment/nphet are loving this and are on a power trip etc are getting carried away wit their frustration.

Thats not saying I agree with them.

When you have the like Varadkar grinning like a stupid Cheshire cat when he's announcing these extensions and other bad news you can't be surprised when people start to think he and the rest of the Govt/NPHET are enjoying this and don't want it to end anytime soon. If he wasn't already guaranteed to be back in charge at the end of next year he wouldn't be acting in such a "I don't give a toss" manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

The UK has the second strictest lockdown in Europe, we've had the third strictest. We just copy the UK.

Not sure what we'll do when they're vaccinated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,653 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    The UK has the second strictest lockdown in Europe, we've had the third strictest. We just copy the UK.

Not sure what we'll do when they're vaccinated.

SFA

They can fly over here and do what they want but we can't travel more than 5k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,831 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »
    SFA

They can fly over here and do what they want but we can't travel more than 5k

So nothing will be open but the brits will pile in in their droves will they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

bubblypop wrote: »
    What absolute rubbish.
    Anyone who believes that there are powers in this country who want a never ending lockdown need to get themselves over to the conspiracy forum

And yet here we are, 52 weeks into the 2 weeks to flatten the curve. Some conspiracy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

So I do really think, vaccinate as many as possible but open it up again after it and just move on with life. Otherwise we will be spending the rest of our days in lockdown

Why not just keep those who refuse to get vaccinated in lockdown by required vaccination documentation to enter crowded public spaces? Then the responsible people are safer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

hynesie08 wrote: »
    So nothing will be open but the brits will pile in in their droves will they?

No ****er will come here, **** all to do, the majority of people coming here come for a piss up and etc.... With the whole place closed, why bother

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Miharo

This is just baseless scaremongering that's becoming extremely tiresome. Its extremely rare for under 18s to have serious illness and this is evident from the data available. How many children have died in Ireland from Covid? Very few fortunately and zero primary aged children. If serious illness was prevalent in children there would be far more deaths in this age group.

The risks to this age group are extremely tiny, more so for those without any underlying conditions and there are many many resources and studies available that prove this for anyone bothered enough to do their own research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Scotty # wrote: »
    Why does your side of the discussion always revert to these pointless attacking posts? I posted facts and opinion. If you disagree then explain why. Attacking me when you hear something you don't want to hear just makes you look childish.

Nothing to do with anyones side. Just sick of these hollow, patronising phrases.

As if the one who's saying it is in the sole possession of the one and only and obvious truth and anyone disagreeing is obviously intellectually challenged or something.

If you want an actual discussion cut it out. I'm not your 7 year old child struggling to tie their laces.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

No deaths today and low corona numbers. The government need to get proactive.

Miharo wrote: »
    This is just baseless scaremongering that's becoming extremely tiresome. Its extremely rare for under 18s to have serious illness and this is evident from the data available. How many children have died in Ireland from Covid? Very few fortunately and zero primary aged children. If serious illness was prevalent in children there would be far more deaths in this age group.

The risks to this age group are extremely tiny, more so for those without any underlying conditions and there are many many resources and studies available that prove this for anyone bothered enough to do their own research.

I personally know 3 children who got it very bad. 2 hospitalised and 1 very nearly.

So when I see a family go shopping together, kids pawing everything, I think they probably should take things more seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Glenomra

I personally know 3 children who got it very bad. 2 hospitalised and 1 very nearly.
    I know about 100. none of them got it.

Glenomra wrote: »
    I know about 100. none of them got it.

Suggesting children are immune is not true though

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

All data shows this is not a significant risk for kids. End of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Neither is suggesting its any kind of extraordinary threat to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Neither is suggesting its any kind of extraordinary threat to them.

Poster didn't say that, did he?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement