Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

All the essential business going on out here - a good third of the workforce in fact - would have us back to zero no bother, but the few guys who cycle beyond 5km or go to a beach or visit their mums make all the difference and keep us in perpetual lockdown.

Sure

Must be a nice clean simple worldview you created for yourself there. But sadly it wouldn't hold up to a few questions from a ten year old. And in fact its people like you - devoid of any inquisitive or critical thinking or any logical thinking seemingly - that makes this perpetual lockdown mandate a doozy for the government spoofers.

Oh god, yeah thanks. Your worldview must stand much better.

pjohnson wrote: »
    You think theres that many anti-vax?

I think there's enough who will be leery of staying in a country that follows up this level of lockdown with punitive measures for people who don't want to take a vaccine, yes. It's possible to find government overreach intolerable and want to live free of it, even when you personally have no problem with following the diktats. It's called a principle.

I also think people need to stop using "anti-vax" to describe people who have reservations about one particular set of very rapidly developed vaccinations. Particularly at a time when you could not with any sort of confidence tell me whether my children are more likely to die of covid (if they contract it to begin with) or of blood clots if I decide to allow them to be vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BigAndy21

Notice that people with weak immunity and health conditions are “prioritised” could it be they are least likely to cope with a jab?
    They're vaccinating palliative care patients!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

This was probably discussed already but see that young one who brought the garda on a chase up and down the M50. Leaving her 5 km and then leaving her 5km a second time to go to the airport and then leaving the country and discussed about leaving the country to a newspaper before she left.

I hope they fine the **** out of her and better yet throw her in jail for some time.

Me here stuck to this lockdown and all previous and the likes of her able to do as she pleases. Off on holidays sipping champagne will driving recklessly before hand too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

This was probably discussed already but see that young one who brought the garda on a chase up and down the M50. Leaving her 5 km and then leaving her 5km a second time to go to the airport and then leaving the country and discussed about leaving the country to a newspaper before she left.

I hope they fine the **** out of her and better yet throw her in jail for some time.

Me here stuck to this lockdown and all previous and the likes of her able to do as she pleases. Off on holidays sipping champagne will driving recklessly before hand too.

Just another brain-dead muppet looking for cheap bucks. Don't understand why she gets attention. Unless media paying attention to her get cheap bucks too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

arctictree wrote: »
    Know loads of people who visited their mother today. These would normally abide by the rules. I think people are just sick of it at this stage and have decided to live their lives...

Soon we will be hearing about how we need level 8 restrictions because the country went absolutely mad on mothers day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Soon we will be hearing about how we need level 8 restrictions because the country went absolutely mad on mothers day.
    Would the meaningful Mother’s Day be worth it if we did go level 5+3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

ypres5 wrote: »
    279 people under 15 have been hospitalized since the start of this and you knew 2 if them out of the 3 kids you know

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/detailed-profile-of-cases

I know people outside of Ireland. Imagine that.

Would the meaningful Mother’s Day be worth it if we did go level 5+3?

They can go to whatever bull**** level they want, I'm done with the lot of it.

I'd just prefer not to hear the same horse**** we heard about christmas, where a bold population went super crazy and needed to be locked up for their own protection. :rolleyes:

Let me guess, cases will spike after mothers day because covid travels on flowers and those pesky people couldn't be trusted not to send their mother a bouquet. Tony is very concerned about the next 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,809 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What's going on on the continent shows how precarious the situation is and why NPHET are absolutely correct with the cautious approach.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/14/third-covid-wave-sweeps-across-eu-and-forces-new-restrictions
    From Monday most of Italy will be placed under lockdown and people will only be allowed to leave their homes for essential errands. Most shops will be closed, along with bars and restaurants.

In France, authorities have reported a similar grim situation, with health minister Olivier Véran describing the situation in the greater Paris region as tense and worrying. “Every 12 minutes night and day, a Parisian is admitted to an intensive care bed,” he revealed.

President Macron has imposed curfews and other social restrictions in several regions, and many doctors are now pressing him to introduce a national lockdown as a matter of urgency.

In Germany, 12,674 new Covid infections were reported on Saturday, a rise of 3,117 from the previous week, as the head of the country’s infectious disease agency acknowledged that the country was now in the grip of a third wave of Covid-19.

Similarly in Poland, 17,260 new daily coronavirus cases were reported on Wednesday, the highest daily figure since November. New pandemic restrictions are likely to be announced this week, government officials have indicated. Poland already has imposed tight restrictions on social gatherings, most schools are closed, and restaurants can only serve meals for delivery.

Without rapid vaccination, and assuming it all goes well, it's a wave after wave doom loop of virus and restrictions.

• Advertisement

Hooked wrote: »
    Yep... it’s finally catching up with my brothers 2 girls.

8 and 11. Best kids in the world... but the toll it’s taking on them... it’s disgusting. I’m all for protecting the ‘vulnerable’ but that’s no longer them. We’re a year in. We know so much more. But the plan is unchanged from week 1.

They’re constantly upset. Asking when it’s gonna end. Why can’t they see distant friends. Why no cinema, beach, local trips. Holidays cancelled again this year. Not sleeping. Just horrible on them...

NPHET, Leo, MeHole and the rest need a better way TO LIVE with covid. And stop hiding us all way.

Yes the children are the hidden voiceless victims of this. I do worry about the impact on them. I hope they will bounce back and recover from this deprivation of their childhood experiences. Some people are discounting their need for normal childhood experiences, milestones like birthday parties, school tours, their hobbies and making new friendships, sport and physical activities. But they are losing out big time. €hit show it is. No future unless we nurture the next generation and they are being forgotten big time.

Without rapid vaccination, and assuming it all goes well, it's a wave after wave doom loop of virus and restrictions.

Better suspend the vaccine roll out then, wouldn't want to miss out on that sweet doom loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭VonLuck

But what is the government's actual plan when it comes to vaccinations and relaxation of restrictions? They could at least announce that once Groups 1/2/3/4 or whatever are completed then X, Y and Z open up. Or even say that once hospitalizations are down to a certain figure that things could relax.

It's the perception of endless lockdown that's the killer. At least if people had something to work to it would help mentally.

What's going on on the continent shows how precarious the situation is and why NPHET are absolutely correct with the cautious approach.

What's going on on the continent is the spread of the same B117 variant that we got from our closest neighbour, which for a period of time made us the highest cases per capita country in the world.

Completely predictable, as is the passing of the wave (lockdown or not). Any public health official in those countries that was not expecting it has no right to be in their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I raise you and say without vaccinations we'd just have to get on with it. Ongoing loops of restrictions would sooner or later lead to a breakdown of society. I dare say sooner rather than later. But I'm sure you'll disagree.

What's going on on the continent is the spread of the same B117 variant that we got from our closest neighbour, which for a period of time made us the highest cases per capita country in the world.

Completely predictable, as is the passing of the wave (lockdown or not). Any public health official in those countries that was not expecting it has no right to be in their job.

Clearly you are wrong, it wasn't the more transmissible variant that caused the spike in cases, it was those dumb Irish flooding into all those closed pubs and going mad at christmas that caused all the trouble. :rolleyes:

It was so frustrating to keep hearing that crap. Cases higher than they were at the height of the pandemic despite the pubs being closed and everybody being a lot more informed about cleaning and social distancing. Yet in defiance of logic all we heard was that it was the people that were to blame.

And then others will say there is no media narrative at play. Sure.

Clearly you are wrong, it wasn't the more transmissible variant that caused the spike in cases, it was those dumb Irish flooding into all those closed pubs and going mad at christmas that caused all the trouble. :rolleyes:

It was so frustrating to keep hearing that crap. Cases higher than they were at the height of the pandemic despite the pubs being closed and everybody being a lot more informed about cleaning and social distancing. Yet in defiance of logic all we heard was that it was the people that were to blame.

And then others will say there is no media narrative at play. Sure.

No matter how good people are they get blamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

VonLuck wrote: »
    But what is the government's actual plan when it comes to vaccinations and relaxation of restrictions? They could at least announce that once Groups 1/2/3/4 or whatever are completed then X, Y and Z open up. Or even say that once hospitalizations are down to a certain figure that things could relax.

It's the perception of endless lockdown that's the killer. At least if people had something to work to it would help mentally.

Now that's a simple idea. However we have been told by one poster we cant have a plan like that because if the metrics weren't met the government would look like idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

VonLuck wrote: »

Now that's a simple idea. However we have been told by one poster we cant have a plan like that because if the metrics weren't met the government would look like idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭aziz

RGS wrote: »

Too late for that now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

gansi wrote: »
    No matter how good people are they get blamed.

I don't believe that's true. Those observing restrictions are the not part of the issue.

Its a small minority who didn't believe in restrictions at the start and still don't. But that's not blaming the same minority. Its simply an observation that there always be some who believe they know better than everyone one else or that they just don't give a monkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

xhomelezz wrote: »
    And kids can still spread it, as anyone else...end of story.

Hysteria is hysteria. End of story.

gozunda wrote: »
    I don't believe that's true. Those observing restrictions are the not part of the issue.

Its a small minority who didn't believe in restrictions at the start and still don't. But that's not blaming the same minority. Its simply an observation that there always be some who believe they know better than everyone one else or that they just don't give a monkeys.

Or perhaps they have done a bit of their own research, measured the risk and decided that it wasn't worth worrying about ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Or perhaps they have done a bit of their own research, measured the risk and decided that it wasn't worth worrying about ?

So Option B then ;)

gozunda wrote:

So Option B then ;)

This reminds me of the mentality of some of our elder generations. The type who thought inter county travel was reckless on December 17th but perfectly safe on December 18 because the man on the TV said so.

Some of us are capable of thinking and analysing risk for ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

It's absolutely not. Healthcare workers and slaughterhouse outbreaks were abetted by the authorities in spreading covid while everyone else was knuckling down and observing the restrictions. Considering how many deaths came from nursing homes, the biggest contributor to the deaths figure is the spread of covid in care/nursing homes and hospitals which would have been from healthcare workers spreading the virus. This isn't to blame the people but to make an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

RGS wrote: »

More than just one unfortunately.

This is the thing, leaders in other countries wouldn’t get away with it. They demand more from their leaders, some actual leadership and plans. Here in the eyes of many to even ask for clarity is akin to heresy.

“Mustn’t question the man with power”

You see it in the constant defence of everything, literally everything. There are some of course who have an issue with everything, they’re wrong also yet those who constantly defend everything can’t even see how wrong they are themselves

It stood out for me when we started vaccinating, the amount of people many on this thread and others who didn’t feel it necessary or right that we should have updates in regards to vaccination numbers and how that was going, daily deaths and case numbers, pile that on but good news in regards to vaccinations “not appropriate “ “waste of valuable time” of course because that’s a number people in power could be held accountable for.

They needn’t have worried.

So Option B then ;)

Well it's not exactly rocket science at this stage to read through primary data sources and realise that the vast majority of our population is at little or no risk from this virus or to look at history and wonder why we have never reacted like this before or to wonder even when we have vaccines which massively mitigate this already low risk is anyone even considering any restrictions post vaccine roleout to the section of our population actually at any significant risk from this virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,933 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This reminds me of the mentality of some of our elder generations. The type who thought inter county travel was reckless on December 17th but perfectly safe on December 18 because the man on the TV said so.

Some of us are capable of thinking and analysing risk for ourselves.

Well some THINK they are capable and know best. That is why everyone has to endure restrictions to make up for the "independent" thinkers.

Same way drink driving is illegal, most know naturally not to do it but some decide they know better after analysing risk for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

pjohnson wrote: »
    Well some THINK they are capable and know best. That is why everyone has to endure restrictions to make up for the "independent" thinkers.

Same way drink driving is illegal, most know naturally not to do it but some decide they know better after analysing risk for themselves.

Most people know it's not feasible to stop people from seeing their family and friends for over a year. Most people know it's not feasible to expect all businesses to survive being forced to shut for over a year. Some think they know better and €350 a week will cure all ills - those people are wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement