Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,083 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This is true only for asocial couch potato hermits with desk jobs.
    Beyond seeing friends and having regular access for my partner to her kids, our lives have continued on.

Both work from home in fintech, seen raises over the time (even got a promotion to lead analyst) and seen our shares portfolio rise exponentially to the point where it's funding a house deposit.

We are super privileged to have done well out of the lockdown. I count my lucky stars every day.

Not everyone has been as lucky, and the time is nigh to open up now for those people's benefit. We have over a year's data. We have vaccines. We have knowlege. We have plentiful masks, PPE, social distancing etc.

We don't need a lockdown.

(FWIW I would still remain at home except for essential journeys, but that should be a choice and not a law.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    I would really be of the opinion that all that matters is keeping an eye on ICU numbers and deaths. Hospitalization for minor treatment isn't exactly an issue.

At what level do you start reacting to hospital numbers increasing? When they get to 80% capacity? 90% capacity? 100% capacity?...knowing that the cases are rising exponentially because that's what will be happening if hospital numbers are at those levels.
    I'm sure you will know that from your "analytical skills and intelligence ". You'll also know that any reaction to rising case numbers will take 2 weeks to have any effect so case numbers rising exponentially for 2 weeks while hospital bed are filling up at roughly 6% of that exponential rate could mean a lot of people suffer unnecessarily.

Or maybe your "analytical skills and intelligence" only stretch far enough to think of yourself and you're too short sighted to see anything else.

I would be fairly confident on taking my chances with covid and beating it just like the majority of people in my age group but I'd also like to know that the option would be there for minor treatment in a hospital if I required it. This may not be an option if hospitals are over run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

700000 unemployed... “Tiny proportion “
    We're all in this together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,083 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

We're all in this together
    10-14 days to flatten the curve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    How can anyone say that with a straight face. Unbelievable
    I'm in an industrial park in North County Dublin at the moment. 41 businesses. Not a single one closed or not trading! Even the gym was open this morning as it has been every single morning throughout.

Retail park nearby,
    Halfords - Open
    Argos - Open
    Homebase - Open
    Harvey Norman - Open
    DID Electrical - Open
    Aldi - Open
    Costa Coffee - Open
    Home store and more - Open
    Fast fit - Open
    TK Max -Closed

All the local parks, public amenities, all open and being enjoyed.

This notion that we're all sitting at home feeling suicidal is pure nonsense. Yes, there may some who are suffering terrible and I have huge sympathy for them but it's certainly not the norm. For the vast majority of the population life is carrying on and will continue to carry on until we can get back to some sort of normality.

The pandemic and it's restrictions have hit some harder than others for sure, but just 'cause you've been put out does not mean the rest of us have to throw all precautions out the window. We'll open back up when it's good and safe to do so for everyone and the sooner the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Scotty # wrote: »
    I'm in an industrial park in North County Dublin at the moment. 41 businesses. Not a single one closed or not trading! Even the gym was open this morning as it has been every single morning throughout.

Retail park nearby,
    Halfords - Open
    Argos - Open
    Homebase - Open
    Harvey Norman - Open
    DID Electrical - Open
    Aldi - Open
    Costa Coffee - Open
    Fast fit - Open
    TK Max -Closed

This notion that we're all sitting at home feeling suicidal is pure nonsense. Yes, there may some who are suffering terrible and I have huge sympathy for them but it's certainly not the norm. For the vast majority of the population life is carrying on and will continue to carry on until we can get back to some sort of normality.

The pandemic and it's restrictions have hit some harder than others for sure, but just 'cause you've been put out does not mean the rest of us have to throw all precautions out the window. We'll open back up when it's good and safe to do so for everyone and the sooner the better.

Well you have convinced me. Everything is rosie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Retail park nearby,
    Halfords - Open
    Argos - Open
    Homebase - Open
    Harvey Norman - Open
    DID Electrical - Open
    Aldi - Open
    Costa Coffee - Open
    Fast fit - Open
    TK Max -Closed

Sure there ye go!!

If your feeling down, lost your business, isolated just visit this magic industrial park where a business can be both open and closed at the same time!

Could be a tourist attraction that!!

Oh sorry theyre not allowed open!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This notion that we're all sitting at home feeling suicidal is pure nonsense.
    Not all, many. Not you obviously, youre alright Jack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

aido79 wrote: »
    At what level do you start reacting to hospital numbers increasing?

At what level do we react to them decreasing?

• Advertisement

Go into argos and see what you can buy. Very little.

You don't have any sympathy for them, you don't even think they exist at all.

"I'm alright Jack and who cares about the riff raff".

No wonder you are a constant apologist for the government with that mentality.

Retail park nearby,
    Halfords - Open
    Argos - Open
    Homebase - Open
    Harvey Norman - Open
    DID Electrical - Open
    Aldi - Open
    Costa Coffee - Open
    Fast fit - Open
    TK Max -Closed

According to the guidelines you're so enamoured with, people shouldn't be "enjoying" the amenities and shops. They should be staying home unless leaving for exercise within 5km or making an essential trip. The toys in Tesco are cordoned off, for ****s sakes.

Your assessment that "life is carrying on" is based on a misunderstanding of restrictions. It is asinine to say that the mental health issues coming to light because of restrictions are NBD when in the next breath you make it clear that you don't actually know what those restrictions are, and/or you're actually just not really following the restrictions, then coming here to berate people who are following them and being affected by doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

the kelt wrote: »
    Sure there ye go!!

If your feeling down, lost your business, isolated just visit this magic industrial park where a business can be both open and closed at the same time!

Could be a tourist attraction that!!

Oh sorry theyre not allowed open!

Learn to read. TK Maxx is in the estate close by ;)

:rolleyes:

You don't have any sympathy for them, you don't even think they exist at all.
    Yea sure, that's exactly what I said! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Scotty's grand everyone, nothing to see here.

Quazzie wrote: »

Don't worry if its closed anyway cos you can go to aldi. Woop woop aldi here I come, life is good! Maybe go to Did and buy a new Oled TV with my pup

GazzaL wrote: »
    Scotty's grand everyone, nothing to see here.
    Don't worry if its closed anyway cos you can go to aldi. Woop woop aldi here I come, life is good!
    Sure there ye go!!
    Well you have convinced me. Everything is rosie
    Would love to know whats open in the industrial park mind, trying to plan what to do with the kids this Wednesday!

All lads you are doing it yet again. "I've no counter argument or anything remotely intelligent to say so I'll just come out with some nonsense". Ye do it every single time. It's really very telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Quazzie wrote: »

:D Well fook it im not going then, thats it.

Would love to know whats open in the industrial park mind, trying to plan what to do with the kids this Wednesday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This has been a problem, driven largely by moral absolutism. When people take a high ground, on the premise that they are the ones who care about others while the anti-lockdown crowd are selfish cretins — its hard to advocate even moderate lifting of restrictions because it means at least some more people will die and Mr / Mrs Morality finds themselves in the selfish cretin bucket too...where one becomes an ‘apologist’ for the concept that even saving lives is a question of proportionality versus freedom. So the only way to maintain one’s ethical purity is to simply find the lowest risk approach and constantly advocate it, then blame others for being uncaring when an elevated risk appetite leads to at least some elevation in death numbers.
    Then will come the day where Covid deaths are at a number they deem to be tolerable, and suddenly the ‘caring’ people won’t care about the deaths anymore.

The premise of your argument is incorrect. The use of restrictions is to help reduce the rate of infection and allow health services to be able to treat those who become infected and require hospitalisation and other services.

Crazy that we're 12 months in and some are still insisting that the fight against Covid 19 is solely based on mortality especially considering this has been pointed out ad nauseam.

There will come the day where Covid infection rates are at a level where vaccination can manage to prevent large scale outbreaks and at that point hopefully everyone will remember all those who have died

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

All lads you are doing it yet again. "I've no counter argument or anything remotely intelligent to say so I'll just come out with some nonsense". Ye do it every single time. It's really very telling.

What can people do socially though, how can you call life moral if there is nothing to do. I'm not talking about pints, I am talking about any bit of social interaction at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,832 ✭✭✭hynesie08

:D Well fook it im not going then, thats it.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, you can buy parts for your car or you can send a parcel, lots of fun for all the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

At what level do we react to them decreasing?

Remind me again what has happened every other time we reacted to them decreasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 oleg12390

Just wanted to ask public opinion around Covid passports, do we need them? It feels like a good idea, e.g. if I went through Covid illness and developed my antibodies, can I get more freedom? Or got vaccinated? Any news on this heard?

Any substance to your arguments is in tiny proportion, you lost all credibility when flippantly dismissing struggles of a significant number of people forced out of employment through no fault of their own.

Some are just fcuking idiots who prefer to bury their heads in the sand and ignore reality.

A rare moment of introspection from you there, Kunta.

aido79 wrote: »
    Remind me again what has happened every other time we reacted to them decreasing.

Thats pure deflection and you know it, why not just answer the simple question?

At what level should we react to hospital numbers decreasing?

Any substance to your arguments is in tiny proportion, you lost all credibility when flippantly dismissing struggles of a significant number of people forced out of employment through no fault of their own.
    I specifically agreed there were people facing such struggles. In your head, how does that equate to dismissing them?

This coming from someone who said only a tiny minority are affected. You are not worth taking seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Oh cut the crap.

Coming from an organisation who has NCHDs working 70+ hours a week I’m so sure that they care about the health and well being of their staff.

Non sequitur. Killjoy!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement