Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,445 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This was probably discussed already but see that young one who brought the garda on a chase up and down the M50. Leaving her 5 km and then leaving her 5km a second time to go to the airport and then leaving the country and discussed about leaving the country to a newspaper before she left.

I hope they fine the **** out of her and better yet throw her in jail for some time.

Me here stuck to this lockdown and all previous and the likes of her able to do as she pleases. Off on holidays sipping champagne will driving recklessly before hand too.

Ah she will spin a sob story in court and turn on the waterworks. Next case please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Scotty # wrote: »
    But you are talking about a tiny proportion of the population there. For the vast majority of us life has carried on.

The virus itself is of low risk, but it's of huge risk to all of us if it were to collapse our health service. Do you not believe the world's health experts when they warn this? Do you not believe they know better than you and I? Or do you think they're lying?

What planet are you on ??? Making such a comment shows how little you consider anything except your own view of the current situation

468,000 on PUP
    188,500 on live register
    410,000 employees availing of the TWSS

Thats a million people. Do you think "life has carried on " for all these people ?
    So the subsidies might feed you, your family and keep the lights and heat on but they don`t pay the mortgage, the car loans, the credit card etc etc

Cop yourself on, you`re a disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Ewan MacKenna on with Matt Cooper tonight at 10 on Virgin Media One.

Should be a good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Lundstram wrote: »
    Ewan MacKenna on with Matt Cooper tonight at 10 on Virgin Media One.

Should be a good watch.

I'm disappointed in Cooper through this, he is a pure wimp and completely one sided on wanting total restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Drifter50 wrote: »
    What planet are you on ??? Making such a comment shows how little you consider anything except your own view of the current situation

468,000 on PUP
    188,500 on live register

Thats a million people. Do you think "life has carried on " for all these people ?
    So the subsidies might feed you, your family and keep the lights and heat on but they don`t pay the mortgage, the car loans, the credit card etc etc

Are you trying to tell me that everyone on the PUP payment is suicidal or suffering serious mental health issues?? Get a grip!

The live register is almost exactly the same as it was for the same month in 2020. Up from 184k to 188k.

468,000 is less than 20% of the workforce. So for the other 80% (ie. the vast majority!) it's business as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So for the other 80% (ie. the vast majority!) it's business as usual.

You continue to repeat this tripe, clearly you are not posting honestly here.

You continue to repeat this tripe, clearly you are not posting honestly here.

Look at the CSO stats. Unemployment up 4k from pre covid and 81% still working during covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Are you trying to tell me that everyone on the PUP payment is suicidal or suffering serious mental health issues?? Get a grip!

The live register is almost exactly the same as it was for the same month in 2020. Up from 184k to 188k.

468,000 is less than 20% of the workforce. So for the other 80% (ie. the vast majority!) it's business as usual.

Where do they even mention anything about suicide or mental health issues?

the kelt wrote: »
    Where do they even mention anything about suicide or mental health issues?
    My response that it was a tiny proportion was in response to someone else earlier today saying something about those suffering with mental health and businesses closing. Yes, of course some people are struggling with their situation. But IMO, it;s a small proportion. Most people are just getting on with it.

My response that it was a tiny proportion was in response to someone else earlier today saying something about those suffering with mental health and businesses closing. Yes, of course some people are struggling with their situation. But IMO, it;s a small proportion. Most people are just getting on with it.

20% is still a significant portion of the workforce.

• Advertisement

aido79 wrote: »
    A few months ago people on Facebook were championing Poland and Italy for defying restrictions and opening up. Now they seem to be 2 of the countries in Europe heading for stricter lockdowns. In fact the numbers in most countries in Europe seem to be going in the opposite direction to the numbers in Ireland.

What in your opinion has happened here?

Why do people keep asking this when it's perfectly bloody obvious that "what happened here" is the spread of the B117 variant that originated in the UK and came to its closest neighbour first?

Yes it is but 20% on PUP does not equal 20% suffering with their mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Exactly!

I mean February 2020 we had an unemployment rate of 4.8% now it’s literally 20% more. By what logic is that a tiny proportion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

44% of the labour force are either unemployed or on the wage subsidy scheme, which could mean they're also out of work but kept on the books as the company hopes to retain them upon reopening. Staggering numbers.

Not to mention there are many people who have avoided going on the PUP or wage subsidy scheme because they'd rather try to earn a living rather than claim taxable benefits off the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Scotty seriously please.

I can think of 6 people I know who are self employed scraping bits of work at a tiny fraction of what they did before but are still trading and as such can't claim the PUP.

Suggest you move on from this one rapidly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

So where do I say that everyone on the PUP is suicidal or suffering serious mental health issues ? I did`nt and common sense would answer that question for you if you thought about it for more that half a second. The live register has 188,500 at end Feb. As for your calculation that 468,000 is less than 20% of the workforce let me lay it out simply for you in general terms

Population of Rep of Ireland 4.9 m
    Workforce depending on how you measure it 2 to 2.2m
    Number in primary, secondary and post secondary education 1.1m
    Number of Over 65`s retired etc .75m
    Approx .75m outside of the workforce

So if you take the workforce of 2.2m and take out the 1.1m on PUP, live register or TWSS thats half the workforce in any simple arithmetic. If you think that life has carried on as normal for the vast majority of half the workforce you are mistaken. All of these people will have suffered to a greater or lesser extent.

So quit with the sneering and attacking other posters who don`t share your own view. people are struggling across the board

Not automatically. But if you consider how many people on the PUP or even the EWSS or whatever it’s called now have huge debt and families to support the number that would be suffering mentally at least will be very high. Maybe not suicidal. But suffering for sure, and that’s only in relation to finances.
    We have a much bigger problem coming down the line anyway. It’s not only people on the PUP suffering mentally right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,293 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Everybody is suffering with their mental health, how can they not be with absolute cretens like Anthony Staines & his gang trying to screw with our heads.

"ISAG members were told to “internalize” included commands to “look for ways to increase insecurity, anxiety, and uncertainty”, to “target people rather than institutions” as “people hurt faster than institutions”, and to remember that “imagination and ego can dream up many more consequences than any activists” as “the threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself.”

ISAG is, McConkey, Staines, Thómas Ryan etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

Seemingly Professor Nolan thinks we're in a similar situation to Halloween.
    It's about time the media stopped publicizing his brain farts, We've vaccines and we're just about to come out of our traditional flu season, it's nothing like halloween.

Well he does increasingly sound like a ghoul.Has he been promoted unofficially recently?He seems to have become front and centre whereas he used to be just dusted off every thursday.Bizarrely he seems to think phrases like 20 weeks more are fine for people to hear,His talk of gusts of wind and halloween -is he writing a 5th class essay about "my most scary day"?An arrogant windbag with a condescending patronising attitude.I genuinely think these press conferences are totally a toxic element for peoples mental health at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

It’s not only people on the PUP suffering mentally right now.

Exactly, my father is living on his own. He's wondering what's the point of living like this when he knows his time is limited. How many more people like this?
    What about a single woman looking for a partner/child who's time is running up? But DID and aldi are open so I suppose it's grand.

Baffling that someone could say only a tiny minority are suffering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Not diasgreeing that Sweden had issues but they have managed to avoid the most draconian restrictions and really on balance haven't done badly accepting (and they admit this and many other countries have made identical mistakes) that they didn't protect nursing homes at all.

I think we have moved into a period now where countries see light at the end of the tunnel with the vaccines and it's human nature to 'hang in there' now until populations are vaccinated. Inevitably this means you go back to restrictions like we are seeing in Italy and Poland etc.

Look while I don't like what has happened, it's happened and I'm also a realist and fully understand now it's politically impossible for countries to lift restrictions without a significant chunk of the population vaccinated. The populations themselves are in many areas so scared that they won't accept it.

The worry for me is that we don't at somepoint move past all restrictions in the mid term and we end up with invasive restrictions or impositions on our lives even after vaccination has reached a good chunk of our populations.

What I hope happens is a point where we say have done all we can (post vaccination) and draw a line in the sand and say jog on and we accept that we will have hospitalizations and deaths from this virus indefinitely in the risk group but as these will be modest we just have to jog on.

If we can't get to this point of just accepting the above and moving on we will do lasting damage to the very perception of risk v life and end up living in some OCD dystopian health and safety course. I fear we already have changed to a point of no return in someways but not clearly moving back to 'normality' once the vaccine roleout is well along the curve we risk changing so much more.

You're right about needing to look at it from a realist point of view. With vaccination so close no government will want to take the chance of collapsing their health system instead of holding out for the sake of a couple of months. It would be political suicide for the Irish government to go make the decisions they've made over the past year and then f$%k it all up right at the end.

Covid will most likely be an endemic disease but the attitude towards it will change due to vaccinations as less people die and hospital admissions drop.

Masks have been used in Asia for years to limit the spread of cold and flu and it has been shown to have a positive effect on the spread of cold and flu in Ireland this winter so I don't think it be a bad idea for people with flu or cold symptoms to wear masks going forward.

Other than that I think people and life will return to normal given time.

Why do people keep asking this when it's perfectly bloody obvious that "what happened here" is the spread of the B117 variant that originated in the UK and came to its closest neighbour first?

You might want to read the post I was replying to. It most certainly was nothing to do with the spread of the B117 variant so maybe reconsider what you think is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Drifter50 wrote: »

468,000 on PUP
    188,500 on live register

scotty's grand so everyone else can **** off for all he cares.

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Exactly, my father is living on his own. He's wondering what's the point of living like this when he knows his time is limited. How many more people like this?
    What about a single woman looking for a partner/child who's time is running up? But DID and aldi are open so I suppose it's grand.

Baffling that someone could say only a tiny minority are suffering.

Absolutely. I have family in their 80’s totally depressed. Suffering.
    A manager at work homeschooling 2 kids and running a department. Suffering.
    I’m still at work and I’m suffering.
    I think tbh everyone is suffering in some way big or small. The notion that anyone isn’t is a complete fantasy.

But no worries, we just have to do another (insert arbitrary # of months here) of this and we’re golden - at least according to some folk. :)

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Agree - the problem is this type of stuff when thrust down everyone throats begins to have huge psychological impact and in the case of the R number it's nothing but alarmist nonsense - if it isn't a data point you can trust or rely on why quote it or even refer to it.

They're estimates but they are indicators of the level of covid in the country. The people who are tested are tested for a reason, either because they have symptoms or because they are close contacts in most cases.
    Without these estimates we would have no idea if the level of covid was high or low in the community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,293 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

aido79 wrote: »
    Masks have been used in Asia for years to limit the spread of cold and flu and it has been shown to have a positive effect on the spread of cold and flu in Ireland this winter so I don't think it be a bad idea for people with flu or cold symptoms to wear masks going forward.

You may want to go check the science on that one. They've had no effect on Rhinovirus and Enterovirus in Ireland throughout the pandemic. It's safe to assume they've had little to no quantifiable effect on Covid either. They help amp the fear and anxiety levels though, suppose that's a positive depending on your point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I think tbh everyone is suffering in some way big or small. The notion that anyone isn’t is a complete fantasy.

But no worries, we just have to do another (insert arbitrary # of months here) of this and we’re golden - at least according to some folk. :)

It's hard to fathom someone so out of touch with reality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

the kelt wrote: »
    Exactly!

I mean February 2020 we had an unemployment rate of 4.8% now it’s literally 20% more. By what logic is that a tiny proportion?

an unemployment rate of 20% puts us in the same rate as the likes of ethiopia, montenegro, swaziland and Kosovo we're really batting in the big leagues now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Have they been vaccinated? I would have thought\hoped they would have got the first shot at this stage.

• Advertisement

john4321 wrote: »
    Have they been vaccinated? I would have thought\hoped they would have got the first shot at this stage.

No word as of yet unfortunately. But I doubt it’ll matter. They’ve fallen victim to the fear of vaccines. They’ve reached the point now where they don’t care if it kills them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement